You'll own the world.

A forum for translations, translation challenges etc. Good place to increase your conlang's vocabulary.
Imralu
roman
roman

You'll own the world.

Post by Imralu »

"If you can do what you're trying to do, you'll own the world.
You know that, don't you?"
- Blanche Walters in The Devil Commands (1941)

:con: :png: Wena:

Ha wa i hwa zyi ne nggehwa wo do wa i ga nyu zyi buva. Wa i mu zyi, ha?
Q 2s COP do GEN.DEF PASS try.to.do GEN.2s then 2s COP PROS own GEN.DEF world | 2s COP know GEN.DEF | Q
"If you can do what you're trying to do, you'll own the world. You know that, don't you?
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = specific / non-specific, AG = agent, E = entity (person, animal, thing)
________
MY MUSIC | MY PLANTS
kiwikami
roman
roman
Location: Oh, I don't know, I'm probably around here somewhere.

Re: You'll own the world.

Post by kiwikami »

:con: Alál

Hua Iẓûutxıíá ẓuaxx ẓıısr das lıú Arùsıá Arùsḷlalxıá. Udûhǔxıtt.
Hua Ẓı<û>t-xı-í-á ẓa<u-F~>x ẓa<ıı-F~>r̀ da<a>s lıú Ra<ù>s-ı-á Ra<ù>s-A~.la-lx-ı-á | du<û>h-ùx-í=tt
because own<2.3>-FUT-STAT-VOL2.ACT universe<PAT.AUG-COND> 2<AGT.AUG-COND> following<OBL> manner move<2>-DUR-VOL2.ACT move<2>-attempt-now-DUR-VOL2.ACT | know<2.3>-AFF-STAT=Q
"If you can do what you're trying to do, you'll own the world. You know that, don't you?
Edit: Substituted a string instrument for a French interjection.

:eng: :mrgreen: | :fra: [:)] | ASL [:S] | :deu: [:|] | :tan: [:(] | :nav: [:'(]
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

:con: Yélian

Vigo tyareyei pe værreyei, sa rodebei u'mancie. Sa vat quinrei, cisa?
[ˈviːxɔ t͡ʃaˈreːʃɛɪ̯ pə vœˈreːʃɛɪ̯, sa rɔˈdɛbɛɪ̯ ʊˈmaŋkɪ̯ɛ | sa vɐt ˈinrɛɪ̯, ˈkisa↗]
if ABL-do-2SG what try-do-2SG, 2SG FUT-own-2SG DEF.INAN-world | 2SG DEM know-2SG, NEG-2SG
If you can do what you're trying to do, you'll own the world. You know that, don't you?
Last edited by Iyionaku on 02 Sep 2016 09:07, edited 1 time in total.
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.
Isfendil
greek
greek

Post by Isfendil »

:con: Edyssian

Ætôn sera kir nun kê masen kirta, vanum letei. In mêten, unnêj?
If be-2SG.SBJ.FUT do 3SG.Pron which want-2SG.PRZ do-INF, world take-2SG.FUT.PF. This know-2SG.PRZ , and-NEG?
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

Isfendil wrote::con: Edyssian

Ætôn sera kir nun kê masen kirta, vanum letei. In mêten, unnêj?
If be-2SG.SBJ.FUT do 3SG.Pron which want-2SG.PRZ do-INF, world take-2SG.FUT.PF. This know-2SG.PRZ , and-NEG?
Which branch of Indo-European is this? "sera" appears to be Romance, but other than that, I can see no obvious lexical resemblance.

:deu: German

Wenn du machen kannst, was du versuchst zu machen, besitzt du die Welt. Das weißt du, oder?
[vɛn duː ˈmaχn̩ kʰanst, vas duː vɐˈsuːχst t͡su ˈmaχn̩, bəˈzɪt͡st duː diː vɛlt | das vaɪ̯st duː, ˈʔoːdɐ↗]
if 2SG.NOM do.INF can.2SG, what 2SG.NOM try.2SG to do.INF, own.2SG 2SG.NOM DEF.FEM.ACC world | DEM.NEUT.ACC know.2SG 2SG.NOM, or

:fra: French

Si tu peux faire que tu essaies de faire, tu vais avoir la monde. Tu sais ça, n'est-ce pas?
[si ty pø fæʁ kə ty ɛˈsæ [?] də fæʁ, ty væz‿avˈwaːʁ la mɔ̃d | ty sæ sa, nesə paː↗]
when 2SG can.2SG do.INF what 2SG try.2SG to do.INF, 2SG AUX.FUT.2SG own.INF DEF.FEM world | 2SG know.2SG DEM, NPART-COP.3SG-DEM NEG
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

Iyionaku wrote: :fra: French

Si tu peux faire ce que tu essaies de faire, tu vas avoir le monde t'appartiendra. Tu sais ça, n'est-ce pas?
[si ty pø fɛʁ kə ty esɛ də fɛʁ, ty va avˈwaːʁ lə mɔ̃d tapaʁtjɛ̃dʁa | ty sɛ sa, nɛsə paː↗]
Lao Kou
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Lao Kou »

Image Géarthnuns

Auxiliaries making all the diff:

Öçek tsobíbsöt ba dravnath haujebeth sho, chöböt öçek la ba dravnath haukalokh sho, chö öbelöbs öçkek henöi. Öçek la hereçkeveçö mva hösferül?
If you can do what you're trying to do, you'll own the world. You know that, don't you?

Id est: If you in the future are able to arrive at a point where you will be able to do what you are trying to do, you will own the world. -- future oriented, matter-of-fact, but up-for-grabs if you'll reach this state

vs.

Öçek la tsobíbsöt ba dravnath haujebeth sho, chöböt öçek la ba dravnath haukalokh sho, chö öbelöbs la öçkek henöi. Öçek la hereçkeveçö mva hösferül?
If you can do what you're trying to do, you own the world. You know that, don't you?

Id est: If you are able to do what you are trying to do, you own the world. -- a present statement of fact from the speaker's perspective; when X, then Y

One could get even more matter-of-fact, common-knowledge, proverbial-sounding with the transcendent tense:

Öçek tsobíbsöt ba dravnath haujebeth sho, chöböt öçek la ba dravnath haukalokh sho, chö öbelöbs öçkek henöi. Öçek la hereçkeveçö mva hösferül?
If you can do what you're trying to do, you own the world. You know that, don't you?

You, ninny. This is how it is. -- a little heavy-handed
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
Imralu
roman
roman

Post by Imralu »

:tur: (Attempt ...)

Denediğini yapabilirsen dünyanın sahibi olacaksın. Bunu biliyorsun, değil mi?
[denedijiˈni japabiˈliɾ̊sæn dynjaːˈnɯn saːhiˈbi olaˈd͡ʒaksɯn | ˈbunu biliˈjoɾ̊sun | deˈjil mi]
dene-d4k-(4)n-(y)4 yap-(y)2bil-(4/2)r-s2-n dünya-(n)4n sahip-(y)i ol-(y)2c2k-s4n | bu(n)-(y)4 bil-4yor-s4n | değil m4
try-PASS.PTCP-POSS.2s-SPEC.ACC do/make-be.able-AOR-COND-2s world-GEN owner-POSS.3s become-FUT-be.PRES.2s | this-SPEC.ACC know-PROG-be.PRES.2s | not Q

Vowel harmony:
2 = a/e
4 = i/ü/ı/u
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = specific / non-specific, AG = agent, E = entity (person, animal, thing)
________
MY MUSIC | MY PLANTS
Imralu
roman
roman

Post by Imralu »

Ukiweza kufanya kitu ambacho unajaribu kufanya utamiliki dunia. Unajua hiyo, sivyo?
u-ki-wez-a ku-fany-a kitu amba-cho u-na-jaribu ku-fany-a u-ta-miliki dunia | u-na-ju-a hiyo | sivyo
2s-SIT-be.able-Ø INF(15)-make-Ø thing(7) REL-7.REL 2s-PRES-try INF(15)-make-Ø 2s-FUT-own/rule world(9) | 2s-PRES-know-Ø DEM.9.REF | NEG.COP-8

________
MY MUSIC | MY PLANTS
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

:con: Paatherye

ठू, ठा फयीदेज़ कासेमे मयुड़मौ कासेमे ठू, शौमौ शीदनो. चा ठू वीठेज़, नीयेज़?
Thū, thā phayīdes kāseme mayuramey kāseme thū, eymey īdanē. Cā thū wīthes, nīyes?

2SG.NOM, REL.INAN.FEM.ACC try.OPT.2SG do.INF can.OPT.FUT.2SG do.INF 2SG.NOM, have.FUT.2SG world.COL.ACC | DEM.DIST.ACC 2SG.NOM know.2SG, NEG.2SG

The verb for "to try", phēdeme, is new; I derived it from the PIE root *sphē- (to succeed, turn out well)
Parlox
greek
greek

Post by Parlox »

Pod
Yn podon pyi ǵodu nos usådnuyn li podon, podon donyyósa. Bårsinizyn podon dås, bårsini podon?
[in pɑdɑn piɪ kʼɑdɯ nɑs ɯsɑdnɯin lɪ pɑdɑn pɑdɑn dɑnjɤsa pʼɑɹsɪnɪzin pɑdɑn dɑs pʼɑɹsɪnɪ pɑdɑn]
IMP 2ND.NOM if capable what try-IMP do 2ND.NOM 2ND.NOM-GEN world-DEF know-IMP 2ND.NOM that know 2ND.NOM
If you can do what you're trying to do, you'll own the world. You know that, don't you? (lit, if you are capable of doing what you are trying to do, you will own the world. You know that, you do)
:con: Gândölansch (Gondolan)Feongkrwe (Feongrkean)Tamhanddön (Tamanthon)Θανηλοξαμαψⱶ (Thanelotic)Yônjcerth (Yaponese)Ba̧supan (Basupan)Mùthoķán (Mothaucian) :con:
Imralu
roman
roman

Post by Imralu »

:con: Ngolu / Iliaqu

Ha uaijue vu xi hes amie guui to nie qu vu.
Q successfully.cause NOM.2S.ICS ACC.3S.DEF.INAN PASS attempt VB-GEN.2S.ICS then own world NOM.2S.ICS
If you can do what you're trying to do, you'll own the world.
( = If you manage to do your attempted thing, then you'll own the world.)

Mahu eui xuue, ha?
be.known DAT.2S.ICS NOM.3S.DEF.INAN.PROX | Q
You know that, don't you?
( = This, which I said, is known to you, huh?)
________
MY MUSIC | MY PLANTS
Reyzadren
greek
greek

Post by Reyzadren »

:con: griuskant (without the conscript)

oc es kan ara slien, zher es kin raeskia. shira urva ?
/ɔtʃ 'əs 'kan 'ara 'sliən, ʒər 'əs 'kin 'reskia. 'ʃira urva/
if 4SG can do-V try-N-PASS, then 4SG will win-A-V. know-V Q?
Image conlang summary | Image griushkoent thread
gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Post by gestaltist »

Reyzadren wrote: 10 Jan 2019 23:32 4SG
Ok, I'm curious. How did "you" become 4th person?
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

gestaltist wrote: 11 Jan 2019 10:35
Impersonal/generic “you”?
Jackk
roman
roman

Post by Jackk »

Si vos pouð oc voscon attis, vos possireð y mont. Vos oc sauð, no's-i ?

/si vo ˈpuθ ɔk voˈxɔn aˈtɪs | vo posiˈʀɛθ i ˈmɔnt ‖ vo zɔk ˈsoθ | noˈzi/
(Ðamvað) [si vʊ ˈpuh ɔvʊˈɣɔ̃‿nɐˈtɪz | vʊ pʊsˈʀɛh ĩ ˈβɔ̃nt ‖ vʊ‿zɔ ˈsɔh | nʊˈzi]

if 2p can.2p prx 2p.instr try.pst.ptcp | 2p own-2p.fut def world ‖ 2p prx know.2p | tagQ

terram impūram incolāmus
hamteu un mont sug
let us live in a dirty world
Imralu
roman
roman

Post by Imralu »

DesEsseintes wrote: 11 Jan 2019 16:02
gestaltist wrote: 11 Jan 2019 10:35
Impersonal/generic “you”?
I haven't seen the original movie and only know it from a sample in a goa track, but I'm pretty sure the original was addressed to a second person who was, in fact, trying to do something quite specific, not meant as a general aorist statement.
________
MY MUSIC | MY PLANTS
Reyzadren
greek
greek

Post by Reyzadren »

^Yes, I did not view the source, and I interpreted it as impersonal "you".
Image conlang summary | Image griushkoent thread
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

Jackk wrote: 11 Jan 2019 16:32 Si vos pouð oc voscon attis, vos possireð y mont. Vos oc sauð, no's-i ?
Ah, neat! What's the etymology of attis? Is it connected to attendo?
Jackk
roman
roman

Post by Jackk »

Dormouse559 wrote: 12 Jan 2019 01:40
Jackk wrote: 11 Jan 2019 16:32 Si vos pouð oc voscon attis, vos possireð y mont. Vos oc sauð, no's-i ?
Ah, neat! What's the etymology of attis? Is it connected to attendo?
Thank you! It's the result of a merger between attentō "I try" and attendō "I wait". The descendant of the past participle of attendō - attentum - had previously shifted to atte(n)sum by analogy with prehendō, prehe(n)sum "I take, taken".
Then the merger spread this form to both verbs, and the descendant of attēsum is attis.
terram impūram incolāmus
hamteu un mont sug
let us live in a dirty world