The paradox of tolerance - Karl Popper

A forum for translations, translation challenges etc. Good place to increase your conlang's vocabulary.
Imralu
roman
roman

The paradox of tolerance - Karl Popper

Post by Imralu »

:eng:

Unlimited tolerance must lead to the disappearance of tolerance. If we extend unlimited tolerance even to those who are intolerant, if we are not prepared to defend a tolerant society against the onslaught of the intolerant, then the tolerant will be destroyed, and tolerance with them.

- Karl R. Popper, The Open Society and Its Enemies

:tan: Swahili:

Uvumilivu usio na mipaka lazima usababishe uangamizi wa uvumilivu. Kama tukiwavumilia hata wasiovumilia, kama hatuko tayari kulinda jamii isiharibiwe na shambulio la wasiovumilia, kisha wanaovumilia wataharibiwa, na uvimilivu pamoja nao.
Spoiler:

Code: Select all

uvumilivu      u-si-o                 na   mipaka         lazima       u-sababish-e  
 tolerance(14)  14-NEG.REL.COP-14.REL  COM  boundaries(4)  necessarily  14-cause(TR)-SBJV 
"tolerance      which-is-not           with boundaries     necessarily  it-should-cause"

uangamizi         w-a     uvumilivu
 disappearance(14) 14-GEN  tolerance
"disappearance     of      tolerance"

kama tu-ki-wa-vumuli-a    hata  wa-si-o-vumili-a
 if   1s-SIT-2-tolerate-Ø  even  2-NEG-2.REL-tolerate-Ø
"if   we-tolerate-them     even  they-who-do-not-tolerate"

kama ha-tu-ko       tayari  ku-lind-a        jamii       i-si-harib-iw-e
 if   NEG-1s-LOC.17  ready   INF(15)-guard-Ø  society(9)  9-NEG-destroy-PASS-Ø
"if   we-are-not     ready   to-defend        society     that-it-not-be-destroyed"

na   shambulio  l-a    wa-si-o-vumili-a
 COM  attack(5)  5-GEN  2-NEG-2.REL-tolerate-Ø
"by   attack     of     they-who-do-not-tolerate"

kisha  wa-na-o-vumili-a         wa-ta-harib-iw-a
 then   2-PRES-2.REL-tolerate-Ø  2-FUT-destroy-PASS-Ø
"then   those-who-tolerate       they-will-be-destroyed" 

na   uvimilivu     pa-moja   na-o
 COM  tolerance(14) 16-one    COM-2
"and  tolerance     together  with-them"
The only interesting stylistic choice I made was the subjunctive clause isiharibiwe "that it not be destroyed" as equivalent to "against". In the context of "defend X from/against Y", I found a lot of translations with kutoka "from" and dhidi ya "against" and it just seems calqued from English to me.
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = specific / non-specific, AG = agent, E = entity (person, animal, thing)
________
MY MUSIC | MY PLANTS
Fluffy8x
cuneiform
cuneiform

Re: The paradox of tolerance - Karl Popper

Post by Fluffy8x »

:con: Ḋraħýl Rase

Meṡa kêl lenekâl plūgejlêz plūgejléw remveġan.
boundary NEG have-3-REL tolerate-V>N-ERG tolerate-V>N disappear-3-DEONTIC_NECESSITY

(Ḋraħýl Rase does not distinguish deontic modalities from their situational counterparts.)

Kêl plûgejlokâl etutu plûgîleltuvluẏ,
NEG tolerate-0-REL person\PL-ADDL tolerate\PL-3ANM-1.PL-HYPOT,

plûgejlokâl paruvosane veṅew tṡalek kêl telġetuvluẏ,
tolerate-0-REL society-BENEFACTIVE attack-V>N fight-INF NEG prepare-3-1PL-HYPOT,

plūgejléw / plûgejlokâl etu nŷnelṫa.
tolerate-V>N tolerate-0-REL person\PL die\PL-3ANM-FUT
The creator of ŋarâþ crîþ v9.