Always coming home

A forum for translations, translation challenges etc. Good place to increase your conlang's vocabulary.
lsd
greek
greek

Always coming home

Post by lsd »

:usa: always coming home (all the ways)
:fra: toujours revenir à la maison (tous les jours)
Parlox
greek
greek

Re: Always coming home

Post by Parlox »

Pod
Gidårpóópod ruǵakry
[gɪdɑɹpɤːpɑd ɹɯkʼakɹi]
home-ALL-TI time(ful)
Always coming home

Sijesterin Pod
Gedåorpuóópod ruǵky
[gɛtaɾpʌːpʌt ɾɯkakɾɛ]

Sijesterin Pod is a dialect of Pod.

(A note, there is no word for "always" in Pod, instead you would combine "ruǵa"(time) and "kry"(-ful) and use the Timal case on the noun.)
:con: Gândölansch (Gondolan)Feongkrwe (Feongrkean)Tamhanddön (Tamanthon)Θανηλοξαμαψⱶ (Thanelotic)Yônjcerth (Yaponese)Ba̧supan (Basupan)Mùthoķán (Mothaucian) :con:
Imralu
roman
roman

Post by Imralu »

I don't know what this means and the English and French don't seem to match ...
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = specific / non-specific, AG = agent, E = entity (person, animal, thing)
________
MY MUSIC | MY PLANTS
lsd
greek
greek

Post by lsd »

:fra: toujours revenir à la maison (tous les jours)
:Pod: Gidårpóópod ruǵakry
:Sijesterin Pod: Gedåorpuóópod ruǵky

[->] :eihuniaithtir: re iehie oemy hiei'ie
|all paths back| (whole)
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

Imralu wrote:I don't know what this means and the English and French don't seem to match ...
Maybe lsd is looking for the translation of "always" and some sort of unpacking of the phrase (always = all the ways). Though why the unpacking is in the language itself I'm not sure.

We await your directions, lsd.
Imralu
roman
roman

Post by Imralu »

Dormouse559 wrote:
Imralu wrote:I don't know what this means and the English and French don't seem to match ...
Maybe lsd is looking for the translation of "always" and some sort of unpacking of the phrase (always = all the ways). Though why the unpacking is in the language itself I'm not sure.

We await your directions, lsd.
Ah, can't believe I didn't figure that out. I was just thinking about ways and days. Still not clear about the contextless gerund/participle phrase...
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = specific / non-specific, AG = agent, E = entity (person, animal, thing)
________
MY MUSIC | MY PLANTS
lsd
greek
greek

Post by lsd »

Dormouse559 wrote:We await your directions, lsd.
Be free to find what you dig...
I do not have a special purpose except my interest for this cult book title for conlangers...
For myself I found interesting to see the different ways to mean always for some languages in time or for others in space (for natural language it seems, to me, understandable in original version...)
lsd
greek
greek

Post by lsd »

:fra: toujours revenir à la maison (all the days)
:Pod: Gidårpóópod ruǵakry (full time)
:Sijesterin Pod: Gedåorpuóópod ruǵky (full time)
:eihuniaithtir: re iehie oemy hiei'ie (whole)
:esp: El eterno regreso a casa (duration)
:français littéraire: La Vallée de l'éternel retour (duration+space)
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

lsd wrote:Be free to find what you dig...
I do not have a special purpose except my interest for this cult book title for conlangers...
For myself I found interesting to see the different ways to mean always for some languages in time or for others in space (for natural language it seems, to me, understandable in original version...)
Do you want translations of the title of the Ursula K. LeGuin novel Always Coming Home? I'm afraid that wasn't obvious. I'd never heard of it until I googled it just now.

Also, I doubt translating this title will give you a consistent insight into how languages express "always. That's because you're including non-literal translations like the official French title, which back-translates as "The Valley of the Eternal Return". The closest thing to "always" is "eternal", but you didn't say you were looking for translations of "eternal".
Imralu
roman
roman

Post by Imralu »

Dormouse559 wrote:Do you want translations of the title of the Ursula K. LeGuin novel Always Coming Home? I'm afraid that wasn't obvious. I'd never heard of it until I googled it just now.
Same! Sounds kind of interesting though. The only Ursula Le Guin book I've ever read is this one :-)

Anyway, in :tan: Swahili, "always" is sikuzote, sometimes spelt siku zote, and it derives from siku "day, nychthemeron" (class 9/10) and zote, the class 10 form of "all", so in theory it means "all days" and probably meant something like "every day" at some point. It contrasts with kila siku "every day" and siku nzima "all day" (a whole nychthemeron) and (mchana) kutwa "all day" (daylight hours).

As for "coming home", because it's an incomplete sentence fragment and I don't know what the book's title is a fragment of, there are three basic ways that could be handled in Swahili and two of them require marking something about who or what is coming home.

The infinitive/gerund form is the easiest:

Kuja nyumbani sikuzote "Always coming home" / "To come home always"
  • ku-j-a nyumba-ni sikuzote
    INF-come-Ø house-LOC always
If we take the English as being a participle, that could either be a relativised verb in Swahili ...
  • ninayekuja / nijaye nyumbani sikuzote = I who am always coming home
    unayekuja / ujaye nyumbani sikuzote = You [sg] who are always coming home
    anayekuja / ajaye nyumbani sikuzote = S/he who is always coming home
    tunaokuja / tujao nyumbani sikuzote = We who are always coming home
    mnaokuja / mjao nyumbani sikuzote = Y'all who are always coming home
    wanaokuja / wajao nyumbani sikuzote = We who are always coming home

+ about nine other forms for various inanimate thingies ... and a few more for places, which I find very unlikely, as places generally don't go anywhere
... or a "situational" verb form, which is a kind of subordinated verb form more or less equivalent to a present participle but also marking the subject.
  • nikija nyumbani sikuzote = (I) always coming home
    ukija nyumbani sikuzote = (you [sg]) always coming home
    akija nyumbani sikuzote = (s/he) always coming home
    tukija nyumbani sikuzote = (we) always coming home
    mkija nyumbani sikuzote = (you) always coming home
    wakija nyumbani sikuzote = (they) always coming home

+ about nine other forms for various inanimate thingies ... and a few more for places, which I find very unlikely, as places generally don't go anywhere
For example "We will always be coming home" is Tutakuwa tukija nyumbani sikuzote. "People who are always coming home" would be Watu wanaokuja / wajao nyumbani sikuzote. And if it's in the present continuous, just the present tense might be used ... or potentially the habitual: "We are always coming home" is Tuna(kw)enda nyumbani sikuzote or Sisi huenda sikuzote (and I'm not sure if it's possible, but in my head it would be somewhat logical for tuko tukienda ... to also be possible).

Aspect is a big question: is this about a person/people who repeatedly make many complete homeward journeys, or about a person/people who are eternally on a potentially never completed homeward journey???

I might be able to pick a translation if I knew more about the context, but a contextless sentence fragment which can be interpreted a million different ways is basically impossible.
________
MY MUSIC | MY PLANTS
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

:con: Mandarin

总是回家
Zǒngshì huíjiā
[t͡sʊŋ˨˩ʂɹ̩˥˩ xʊ̯eɪ̯˨˦͡tʂi̯a˥]
always come_home
Always coming home

I'm far not an expert, but this feels about natural.
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.