Love

A forum for translations, translation challenges etc. Good place to increase your conlang's vocabulary.
wakeagainstthefall
sinic
sinic

Love

Post by wakeagainstthefall »

Does your language have more than one way of saying "love?" For example, the Greek words eros, philia, and agape are all different types of love. Avoid words that mean more of "infatuation" or "lust", but that does not include sexual love.

:esp: Español: amor

:con: Tō Taiōn: ēŕī, veisa, aneiŕei
Magnae clunes mihi placent, nec possum de hac re mentiri. -Multomixtor

:usa: :esp: :zho: :lat:
Omzinesý
mongolian
mongolian

Re: Love

Post by Omzinesý »

:fin: Finnsih has rakkaus and lempi. As I think it, lempi is always eros and rakkaus expresses all the kinds of love. To be sure, lempi is only a poetic word and it would sound rather odd if somebody really said Lemmin sinua as I love you.
My meta-thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5760
xinda
roman
roman

Post by xinda »

:roc: 愛 ai4 Yeah, that's pretty much it.

:con: Proto-Vdangku - lin n. love
力在公蝦米????

flags
Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo »

:con: Agyonnar:

(Using the -a stem to present the verb form)

Diza means "to be attached to." Used for people, animals, and inanimate objects alike. You diz your favorite blanket, your pet kitty, your best friend, and your lover. In Agyon culture, non-people are considered to be just as worthy as being dized as people are.

Evona means "to have sex with." Fairly straightforward here.

Finally, Dhernia means "to be spoused with." Agyon practice Polygyny, where one woman takes multiple husbands. The females are supposed to diz and evon their husbands, but this does not always happen. Life is difficult for a solitary male, as they're very discriminated against. As a man being unmarried implies that no woman will take him, he is assumed to be worthless. So men will often give themselves as extra husbands to women who don't even like them. The women get extra income earners and the men don't have to deal with the hardships of being unmarried.

:con: Acoi:

Acoi marriages work with a sort of old-style eugenics: The clan leaders observe the growing boys and girls and rank them according to certain criteria. Strength, responsibility, beauty, etc. When they come of age, the best girls are married to the best boys, and vice-versa. There are 5 clans, and boys from one clan are always married to girls from another, so they are total strangers when they are married. Note that the marriage is not one of love: The girls are considered mere objects, and the men are to care about their brothers in their own clan before being concerned with the welfare of their wives.

The word Pularu means "Loyalty to the clan." A man who has pularu will gladly sacrifice everything they have for the good of their clan. Loyalty and caring for something other than the good of the clan is called Pulamaco. Pulamaco is heavily looked down on, and to put your pulamaco above your pularu is punishable by death. The ideal Acoi Man has no pulamaco, only pularu.
My pronouns are <xe> [ziː] / <xym> [zɪm] / <xys> [zɪz]

My shitty twitter
dh3537
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by dh3537 »

:zho:
爱 - ai4 (probably used 99.9% of times to express love to people)
喜欢 - xi3huan (used for stuff like expressing love to inanimate objects. It also could mean "like to" before a verb as in "I like to run")
Thakowsaizmu
runic
runic

Post by Thakowsaizmu »

What about 仁?
Yačay256
greek
greek

Post by Yačay256 »

Thakowsaizmu wrote:What about 仁?
I was going to do that one (though it actually means more along the lines of "humanness" or "benevolence")! ;-)

:con: Pinhgyxgo: Nilikanama=I love you because of it (love is a ditransitive verb in Pinhgyxgo).
¡Mñíĝínxàʋày!
¡[ˈmí.ɲ̟ōj.ˌɣín.ʃà.βä́j]!
2-POSS.EXCL.ALIEN-COMP-friend.comrade
Hello, colleagues!
Thakowsaizmu
runic
runic

Post by Thakowsaizmu »

Yačay256 wrote:
I was going to do that one (though it actually means more along the lines of "humanness" or "benevolence")!
That's a kind of love, albeit a Confucion kind of love.
aereastra
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by aereastra »

Thakowsaizmu wrote:
Yačay256 wrote:
I was going to do that one (though it actually means more along the lines of "humanness" or "benevolence")!
That's a kind of love, albeit a Confucion kind of love.
Its actually the most purest form of love there is. Who doesn't want to be totally accepting of their everyday friends, family, and even the stranger you see on the street? Or even for the trees and the sky for making the day bright and vibrant?
Hell, it even transcends "boundaries" around you and others and makes you understand everyone's pain and suffering intuitively and immediately, as if you were experiencing them as well. In other words, to help their pain, you naturally want to radiate more love to them in the hope their pain will go away and rejoice in their newfound personal freedom in having helped them make it go away.

It's like this: Imagine sexual love is 1 unit of a lightbulb. Imagine how great that feels.
Now, to wrap your mind around benevolence/transcendental love, try and imagine having 1000x of the same lightbulb coursing through your body and coming out of your heart at the same time. You will feel as if something will expand outwards and beyond from your chest area.

However, the two cannot go hand in hand, for the same energy that goes into sex is exactly the same energy that radiates from you when you are in a state of transcendental love or benevolence for all things around you. And, yes, I am speaking from experience. It turns out that experience is a state of oneness, of enlightenment, of pure enjoyment for absolutely everything and nothing at the same time.

If I managed to accidentally stumble into it, then I am sure everyone can find that state of pure happiness and love themselves. It was already there to begin with and will always be there when the situation calls for it. It never goes away, only you can make it go away by not accepting that which is truly in your heart (because you have issues to deal with) or by trying to find it out of sheer desire for it.

It is the true force of joy, of life and of love in every one of us. Yet it is the most vulnerable state we can be in for it is who you really are.

Lantasi has two distinct forms of love: adamo (sincere love; physical detachment, yet loving) and ciamo (affection, motherly love).
Love is amure whereas to love is amure.

Lust, however is a form of strong grasping desire for someone, mostly because of their body, not for who they are.
In Lantasi, it is sapteastra. To lust is sapteastrare.
"Why is it when you tell someone there are 4 billion stars , they believe it. But if you tell them that the paint is still wet, they have to touch it?"
Am I all that I am? Well, I am, that I am.
Imralu
roman
roman

Post by Imralu »

:tan: Swahili has two main ones: upendo is a benevolent love/liking for one's fellow people, more or less equivalent to Ancient Greek agape and latin caritas. Mapenzi is generally the more sexual kind of love but it can also mean "will/wishes" as in "your will be done on Earth" in the Our Father. I think mapendo is more or less an alternative version of mapenzi but I wouldn't be surprised if there were a difference. All of these words a derived from the verb kupenda "to like/love".
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = specific / non-specific, AG = agent, E = entity (person, animal, thing)
________
MY MUSIC | MY PLANTS
lsd
greek
greek

Post by lsd »