All these years...

A forum for translations, translation challenges etc. Good place to increase your conlang's vocabulary.
peterofthecorn
cuneiform
cuneiform

All these years...

Post by peterofthecorn »

:eng: English: All these years, I've fed you, clothed you, given you everything you need and most of what you want, and this is how you repay me?
:esp: Spanish: Todos estos años, te he alimentado, te he vestido, te he dado todo lo que necesitas, ¿y me recompensas asi?

:con: Kalladannvi: Qa can dzhi, akxel ve annagbad lu nu, an'to qa z'qhi llezad enu ve rai lenik enu. Zine nu sampak tsa lu?
xinda
roman
roman

Re: All these years...

Post by xinda »

:eng: English: All these years, I've fed you, clothed you, given you everything you need and most of what you want, and this is how you repay me?

:esp: Spanish: Todos estos años, te he alimentado, te he vestido, te he dado todo lo que necesitas, ¿y me recompensas asi?
:fra: Toutes ces années, je t’ai nourri, je t’ai vêtu, je t’ai donné tous ce dont tu avais besoin et la plupart de ce dont tu avais envie, et tu me remercies comme ça?

:roc: 這幾年,我餵了你,給你衣服穿,需要的東西跟大部分你要的東西都給你了,怎麽可以醬報答我呢?

:con: Kalladannvi: Qa can dzhi, akxel ve annagbad lu nu, an'to qa z'qhi llezad enu ve rai lenik enu. Zine nu sampak tsa lu?
力在公蝦米????

flags
peterofthecorn
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by peterofthecorn »

This is an edit because Spanish was missing a clause.

:esp: Spanish: Todos estos años, te he alimentado, te he vestido, te he dado todo lo que necesitas y mucho de lo que querías, ¿y me recompensas asi?
:fra: Toutes ces années, je t’ai nourri, je t’ai vêtu, je t’ai donné tous ce dont tu avais besoin et la plupart de ce dont tu avais envie, et tu me remercies comme ça?

Pirka
roman
roman

Post by Pirka »

:eng:All these years, I've fed you, clothed you, given you everything you need and most of what you want, and this is how you repay me?

:esp: Todos estos años, te he alimentado, te he vestido, te he dado todo lo que necesitas y mucho de lo que querías, ¿y me recompensas asi?

:rus: Все эти годы я тебя кормил, одевал, давал все, что тебе нужно и большинство того, чего ты хотел, и ты так меня благодаришь?

Chandith
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Chandith »

:eng:All these years, I've fed you, clothed you, given you everything you need and most of what you want, and this is how you repay me?
:deu: (written:) All die Jahre ernährte ich Dich, kleidete ich Dich, gab Dir alles was Du brauchtest und das meiste was Du wolltest, und so zahlst Du es mir nun heim?
:deu: (spoken:) All die Jahre hab'ich dich ernährt, dich gekleidet, hab'dir alles gegeben waste gebraucht hast und's meiste waste gewollt hast, und so zahlstes mir nun heim?

:esp: Todos estos años, te he alimentado, te he vestido, te he dado todo lo que necesitas y mucho de lo que querías, ¿y me recompensas asi?

:rus: Все эти годы я тебя кормил, одевал, давал все, что тебе нужно и большинство того, чего ты хотел, и ты так меня благодаришь?

Lao Kou
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Lao Kou »

Image Géarthnuns

Chek sömöthsesh ezgauthesh hengethesh, sí lö öçket dlübef kfö aléhan; híaufansat, chanat öçek lö kfakh sho, zhö chü gabaksüt, chüküt öçek lö üraf sho, sí lö öçkek mníéí gamez, kfö öçek la sík hengeveçö tsau hösíuth?
All these years, I've fed you, clothed you, given you everything you need and most of what you want, and this is how you repay me?
Spoiler:
Chek sömöthsesh ezgauthesh hengethesh, sí lö öçket dlübef kfö aléhan;
[tʃɛk sø'møθsɛʃ ɛz'gɔθɛʃ hɛ'ŋɛθɛsh, si 'lø 'øɕkɛt 'dlybɛf kfø ale'han.]
DEF.PL year-LOC.PL many-LOC.PL this-LOC.PL, 1SG-NOM AUX.PRESPRF 2SG-ACC feed and clothe
These many years, I've fed and clothed you;

híaufansat, chanat öçek lö kfakh sho, zhö chü gabaksüt, chüküt öçek lö üraf sho, sí lö öçkek mníéí gamez, kfö öçek la sík hengeveçö tsau hösíuth?
[hjɔ'fɑ̃sat, 'tʃanat ø'ɕɛk 'lø 'kfax ʃo, ʒø tʃy ga'baksyt, 'tʃykyt ø'ɕɛk 'lø y'ɾaf ʃo, si 'lø 'øɕkɛk 'mnje.i 'gamɛz, kfø ø'ɕɛk 'la sik 'hɛŋɛvɛ'ɕø 'tsɔ hø'sjuθ]
everthing-ACC, REL-ACC 2SG-NOM AUX.PRESPRF need PTCL, and DEF most.part-ACC, REL-ACC 2SG-NOM AUX.PRESPRF want PTCL, 1SG-NOM AUX.PRESPRF 2SG-DAT all give, and 2SG-NOM AUX.PRES 1SG-DAT thus ADV thank-INTERR
everything you've needed and most of what you've wanted, I've given you, and you thank me this way?

Öçek la, gü sí lí chí öçalsít chö vgöbsöv haunadíathían sho, höhüraf? Che hereçkeths lí azöneth íe nöi.
[ø'ɕɛk 'la, gy si 'li tʃi ø'ɕalsit tʃø 'vgøbsøv hɔ'nadja'θjan ʃo, hø'hyɾaf? tʃɛ 'hɛɾɛɕkɛθs 'li azø'nɛθ jɛ 'nøj ]
2SG-NOM AUX.PRES, CONJ 1SG-NOM AUX.FUT DEF head-ACC DEF oven-LOC put.in-SPEC PTCL, want-INTERR? DEF that-NOM AUX.FUT fast-NOM more be
You want I should stick my head in the oven? It's faster.
Last edited by Lao Kou on 18 Mar 2016 05:39, edited 3 times in total.
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
kiwikami
roman
roman
Location: Oh, I don't know, I'm probably around here somewhere.

Post by kiwikami »

:con: Castian

Cáyúlzhen ser pírorat a zílotcha tot-hó cí dílog tot-hú srehó zón fórhawú a hahemóm zón fórhahica cí ‘óvmhas lonhó cáyíu?
/cæ.jul.ɮɛn sɛɾ pi.ɾɔ.ɾat a zi.lɔt.χa tɔt.ho ci di.lɔg dɔt.hu sɾɛ.ho zon foɾ.ha.ʋu a ha.hɛ.mom zon foɾ.ha.hɪ.ca ci ʔov.ɱas lɔn.ho cæ.ji.ʊ/
All these years, I've fed you, clothed you, given you everything you need and most of what you want, and this is how you repay me?
Spoiler:
Cáyúlzhen ser pírorat a zílotcha tot-hó cí dílog tot-hú srehó zón fórhawú a hahemóm zón fórhahica cí ‘óvmhas lonhó cáyíu?
c<á>y<ú>lzh-en s<e>rh p<í>r<Ø-o>r-at a’ z<í>l<Ø-o>tcha t<o>t<Ø>h<ó> cí d<í>l<Ø-o>g t<o>t<Ø>h<ú> s<Ø>r<e>h<ó> zón f<ó>r<Ø>hah-wú a’ h<a>h<e>m<ó>m zón f<ó>r<Ø>h<a>h-ic cí ‘<ó>v<Ø>ms l<o>n<Ø>h<ó> c<á>y<í>h-u
year<abstract><PROX.PL>-TEMP.LOC all<ADJ> eat<1S><PRES-PERF>-CAUS and clothe<1S><PRES-PERF> 2S.FAM<animate.living.sentient><DEF.SG>-ACC and give<1S><PRES-PERF> 2S.FAM<animate.living.sentient><DEF.SG>-DAT all<inanimate><DEF.PL><ACC> COMP possess<2S><PRES>-REQUIREMENT and most<inanimate><DEF.PL><ACC> COMP possess<2S><PRES>-JUS and repay<2S><PRES> 1S<animate.living.sentient><DEF.SG>-ACC 3S<inanimate><PROX.SG>-INS ?
Jeez. Looks like it's time to simplify the gloss a bit.
Edit: Substituted a string instrument for a French interjection.

:eng: :mrgreen: | :fra: [:)] | ASL [:S] | :deu: [:|] | :tan: [:(] | :nav: [:'(]
nzk13
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by nzk13 »

kiwikami wrote:Jeez. Looks like it's time to simplify the gloss a bit.
Well, I suppose that's the annoying part of glossing Semitic or other ablaut-heavy langs, eh?
Skribajon mean vi esas lektant, kar amiki.
Native: American English. Knows: some Hebrew/Judaeo-Aramaic, some Ido, bit of La Esperanton, a couple of Yiddish words, and bits and pieces of others.
Click
runic
runic

Post by Click »

Yep, although most Slavic languages are just as bad for interlinear glossing. And they have zero ablaut except in a handful of words or so.
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

:con: Pakuni

fe ometani mebi
[fe õ.me.tã.ni me.bi]
PRP time-PL many
For many times

me ma onam te ye
[me mɒ õ.nãm te je]
1SG give food PRP 2SG
I give you food

Me ma osu te ye
[me mɒ o.su te je]
1SG give water PRP 2SG
I give you water

Me ma odumani te ye
[me mɒ o.dũ.mã.ni te je]
1SG give everything PRP 2SG
I give you everything

Ben wachi ye ma shi te me?
[bẽn ʊɒ.ʨi je mɒ ɕi te me]
CNJ ADV 2SG give PROX.INAN PRP 1SG
But now you give me this?

This is precisely the kind of guilt-trip
I would exspect Sa and Ta to give Chaka
right before one of them bites Chaka
and the other one slaps Chaka upside the head.
zyx3166
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by zyx3166 »

Siurinalnuk jentecixguvacam, yotxiguvacam, jotetceis main bosetceta pirguvacamtin sigye sakzelsumetina?
PROX-year-PL-during foot-verbalizer-2SG.ACC-PFV-1SG clothing-verbalizer-2SG.ACC-PFV-1SG need-2SG-nominal.clause-and large-ADV want-2SG-nominal.clause-ACC give-2SG.ACC-PFV-1SG-but PROX.ADV again-give-1SG.DAT-2SG-Q
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

:con: Yélian

Vat ílveretó, rat yimeyu, yiguru, yitreinu olcem vit panei è piytaʻacana vit ivabei, èpa nailet rat celitlei?
[vɐt ˌɪlvɛrəˈtoː, rɐt ʃiˈmɛʃu, ʃiˈxuru, ʃiˈtrɛɪ̯nu ˈɔlkɛm vɪ‿ˈpanɛɪ̯ ɛ ˈpa̯iːtaʔaˈkanɐ vɪt ˈivabɛɪ̯, ˈɛpɐ ˈnaɪ̯lət rɐt ˌɛlɪtˈlɛ.i↗]
DEM year-COL, 1SG.OBL PST-feed-INV.2SG, PST-cloth-INV.2SG, PST-obtain-INV.2SG everything REL need-2SG and time-much.SUP REL want-have.2SG, and that_way 1SG.OBL pay_back-2SG
Last edited by Iyionaku on 04 Jan 2017 23:26, edited 1 time in total.
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.
masako
mayan
mayan

Post by masako »

Kala:

anyokua te asa tayo na’eta inamya ma pukumya ma nokua heyatle ma uehatletsua yetapua ima yoto ta’ena yaua ka
/aˈɲoːgʷa teː aˈʃa taːˈjo naːʔɛːˈta ɪnaːˈmʲa ma pukʊːˈmʲa ma noːˈgʷa ɦɛjaːˈt͡ɬe ma wɛɦaːˈt͡ɬet͡ʃʷa jɛtaːˈbʷa iːˈma joːˈto taʔeːˈna jaːˈwa ga/
year-all GEN life 2sg.POSS 1sg-P.2sg eat-CAUS CONJ wear-CAUS CONJ everything need-REL CONJ want-REL-APPROX give-PFV now in.this.way 2sg-P.1sg answer Q

The IPA is how I pronounce this phrase, not necessarily "standard" Kala.
g

o

n

e
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

我年都手个你忒吃物给有我,忒衣给有我,忒望你作那都给有我,忒想你作好更给有我。怎得你面给我啊?

Lăn nán tów ngâ kū má thò tŭrhngàm lù jù lăn, thò pāw lù jù lăn, thò mūj má kûng nàtów lù jù lăn, thò ãw má kûng lûró lù jù lăn. Mán tā má thòlù lăn â?

[lɛn˧˩ nɛn˥ tøʏ̯˥ ŋɑ˥ ku˧ mɑ˥ tʰø˩ tyɹ˩ŋɑm˩ ly˩ ju˩ lɛn˩, tʰø˩ pɑʊ̯˧ ly˩ ju˩ lɛn˩, tʰø˩ muj˧ mɑ˥ kuŋ˥ nɛ˩tøʏ̯˥ ly˩ ju˩ lɛn˩, tʰø˩ ɑ̃ʊ̯̃˩ mɑ˥ kuŋ˥ ly˥ɹɔ˥ ly˩ ju˩ lɛn˩ | mɑ˥n tɛ˧ mɑ˥ tʰø˩ly˩ lɛn˩ ɑ˩˨˧]
1SG year all DEM.PROX PART 2SG DAT food give PST 1SG, DAT clothes give PST 1SG, DAT need 2SG REL everything give PST 1SG, DAT want 2SG REL most give PST 1SG | how TOP 2SG repay 1SG PART
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.
Imralu
roman
roman

Post by Imralu »

:tan: Swahili:

Miaka yote hiyo, nimekupa chakula, nguo, kila kitu ambacho unahitaji na vitu vingi ambavyo unataka, na hivi ndivyo unavyonilipa?
All these years, I've given you food, clothes, everything you need and most of what you want, and this is how you repay me?

Code: Select all

miaka     y-ote  hiyo            |  ni-me-ku-p-a      chakula  nguo              kila   kitu     
 years(4)  4-all  DEM.REF.4       |  1s-PRF-2s-give-Ø  food(7)  garment(s)(9/10)  every  thing(7)
"years     all    these.mentioned    I-have-given-you  food     clothes           every  thing"

amba-cho   u-na-hitaji   na   vitu       v-ingi   amba-vyo   u-na-tak-a
 REL-7.REL  2s-PRES-need  COM  things(8)  8-a.lot  REL-8.REL  2s-PRES-want-Ø  
"which      you-need      and  things     many     which      you-want"

na   hivi        ndi-vyo     u-na-vyo-ni-lip-a
 COM  DEM.PROX.8  EMPH.COP-8  2s-PRES-REL.8-1s-pay-Ø
"and  this-way    is-the-way  how-you-pay-me"
I really struggle with finding equivalents for things like "most" in Swahili. Most translations just use "many". I suppose, if it really matters, you could say "more than 50%" but that probably sounds really over the top.

Class 8 is used for a lot of adverbial uses.

I decided to do this is a slightly more spoken register, with ambacho unahitaji and ambavyo unataka instead of the more literary unachohitaji and unavyotaka that I've mostly been using.
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = specific / non-specific, AG = agent, E = entity (person, animal, thing)
________
MY MUSIC | MY PLANTS
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

:con: Caelian

Vpilüpamit Rar Zang dasmusgit, dasrufnir, Zaf bolkuit, vpang Zan sinipudët, ëz wyaitütuim ëng, vpang Zan sicilujëbeil, dastusutën, pëc Dyobro kilgi Zan Raroc?
[p̪ilypʰaˈmit rah zaŋ daʃmuʃˈgit, daʃruɸˈniɾ, zaɸ bɔlˈkʰʊɪ̯t, p̪aŋ zan ʒinipʰudət, əs ʋaɪ̯tʰytʰʊɪ̯m əŋ, p̪aŋ zan ʒiʝilujəˈbɛɪ̯l, daʃtʰuʒuˈtʰən, pəç dʲɔˈbɾɔ kʰilˈgi zan raˈrɔʃ]
year.DEMPL.TERM 1SG.NOM 2SG.ACC PST.HAB-feed.1SG>2SG, PST.HAB-cloth.1SG>2SG, 2SG.DAT everything.ACC, REL.ACC 2SG.NOM PST-need.2SG>COL, and something.DEFPL.ACC some, REL.ACC 2SG.NOM PST-want.2SG>COL, PST.HAB-give.1SG>COL-EPH, and DEM.INST pay.2SG>3SG 2SG.NOM 1SG.ALL
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

:con: Silvish

If the addressee is male, use nourìt and vettiàt; if the addressee is female, nourî and vettiâ.

Toudjoùr de toutta çez annâ, jou t'ä nourìt/nourî, jou t'ä vettiàt/vettiâ, jou t'ä baillà tout çou ca t'at bezouè e la grampàr de çou ca tu vùt, e l'es come çä ca tu m'remarcye ?
[tuˈʑuʁ de.tut.ta.se.zəˈnɑː ʑu.tɛː.nuˈʁit/nuˈʁiː ʑu.tɛː.vəˈtjat/vəˈtjɑː ʑu.tɛː.bəˈʎa/bəˈʎɑː tut.tsu.ka.tab.bəˈzwe e.la.gʁɑ̃ˈpaʁ de.su.ka.tyˈvyt e.ləkˈkɔ.mə ˈsɛː ka.ty.mʁe.məˈɕi.jə]
during of all-F DEM-PL year 1SG.NOM 2SG.ACC=have.2SG feed-PST_PTCP-M.SR / feed-PST_PTCP.F.SR 1SG.NOM 2SG.ACC=have.1SG clothe-PST_PTCP-M.SR / clothe-PST_PTCP-F.SR 1SG.NOM 2SG.DAT=give-PST_PTCP all PRO REL 2SG.NOM=have-2SG need and DEF-F majority of PRO REL 2SG-NOM want-2SG and 3SG=be.3SG how PRO SBRD 2SG.NOM 1SG.ACC=thank

SR = "strong"/human-associated gender

:fra: French

I'd adjust the previous translation. I think "pendant toutes ces années" works better than just "toutes ces années", and given the English uses the present for "want" and "need", the translation probably should too. I'll also add the option for a female addressee in parentheses.

Pendant toutes ces années, je t’ai nourri(e), je t’ai vêtu(e), je t’ai donné tous ce dont tu as besoin et la plupart de ce dont tu as envie, et tu me remercies comme ça?
/pɑ̃.dɑ̃ tut se.z‿a.ne ʃ‿te nu.ʁi ʃ‿te vɛ.ty ʃ‿te dɔ.ne tu‿s dɔ̃ ty a‿b.zwɛ̃ e la ply.paʁ də sə dɔ̃ ty a ɑ̃.vi e ty‿m ʁə.mɛʁ.si kɔm sa/
during all-F DEM-PL year{PL} 1SG.NOM 2SG.ACC=have.1SG feed-PST_PTCP(F) 1SG.NOM 2SG.ACC=have.1SG clothe-PST_PTCP(F) 1SG.NOM 2SG.DAT=have.1SG give-PST_PTCP all PRO of_REL 2SG-NOM have.2SG need and DEF-F majority of PRO of_REL 2SG-NOM have.2SG desire and 2SG-NOM 1SG.ACC thank{2SG} like PRO

Alessio
sinic
sinic

Post by Alessio »

:ita: Italiano
Per tutti questi anni, ti ho dato da mangiare, ti ho vestito, ti ho dato tutto ciò di cui avevi bisogno, e mi ricompensi così?
/per 'tutti 'kwesti 'anni ti ɔ 'daːto da man'dʒaːre ti ɔ ves'tiːto ti ɔ 'daːto 'tutto 'tʃɔ di kui̯ a'veːvi bi'zoɲɲo e mi rikom'pεnsi ko'zi/
per tutt-i quest-i ann-i ti ho d-ato da mangi-are ti ho vest-ito ti ho d-ato tutt-o ciò di cui av-ev-i bisogno e mi ricompens-i così
TIME.CONT all-M.PL this-M.PL year-PL 2SG.DAT have.1SG give-PART.PAST to eat-INF 2SG.ACC have.1SG clothe-PART.PAST 2SG.DAT have.1SG give-PAST.PART all-M.SG that of REL.OBL have-IMPF-2SG need and 1SG.ACC repay.2SG like_this
:ita: :eng: [:D] | :fra: :esp: :rus: [:)] | :con: Hecathver, Hajás, Hedetsūrk, Darezh...

Tin't inameint ca tót a sàm stê żōv'n e un po' cajoun, mo s't'armâgn cajoun an vōl ménga dîr t'armâgn anc żōven...
marvelous
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by marvelous »

:con: Homrǎnatyu

Čǔin itǔin yǎrotǔin, havǎms manǧigínt-u, vestigínt-u, u-donínt čyon kuyon bezonǎs key plimultotyun kuyon volǎs, key tyeltyu mi-repagǎs tyon?
/t̠ʃwin ˈi.twin jəˈro.twin ˈha.vəms man.d̠ʒiˈgin.tu ves.tiˈgin.tu u.doˈnint t̠ʃʲon ˈku.yon beˈzo.nəs keɪ̯ pli.mulˈto.tʲun ˈku.yon ˈvo.ləs keɪ̯ ˈtʲel.tʲu mi.reˈpa.gəs ˈtʲon/
all-PL-ACC ADNOM.DEM-PL-ACC year-N-DEF.PL-ACC have-1SG.PRSNT eat-CAUS-PART.PST.ACT=PRO.2SG.CLTC dress-CAUS-PART.PST.ACT=PRO.2SG.CLTC PRO.2SG.CLTC=give-PART.PST.ACT everything-ACC what-ACC need-2SG.PRSNT AND more-many-N-DEF-ACC what-ACC want-2SG.PRSNT AND in.that.way-DEF PRO.1SG.CLTC=back-pay-2SG.PRSNT PRO.DEM-ACC
:heb: I have gained self-respect and left. :yid:
Fluffy8x
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Fluffy8x »

:con: Lek-Tsaro (romanised)

me gimakys1, 'ïm giperel, kû'elha, ña7 tsiltysha, ña8 fi'el7 ron8, tagys ran, na'erit bes bane-kika, taganha6 mepar nï ni?
Spoiler:
me gimakys1,
PR.NEAR.SG TRANS-eat-FAR.PAST-IMPERFECT

'ïm giperel,
PR.ANAPH_OBJ.SG TRANS-wear-ANAPH_SUBJ.PAST

kû'elha,
need-ANAPH_SUBJ.PAST-Q

ña7 tsiltysha,
BRANCH want-FAR.PAST-Q

ña8 fi'el7 ron8,
JOIN and-ANAPH_OBJ.PAST-LEFT PR.ANAPH_OBJ.INT-RIGHT

tagys ran,