Constructed script challenge

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
rafaeru
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Re: Constructed script challenge

Post by rafaeru »

What I meant is that we could put words written in bopomofo in squares syllable by syllable so liberty would have 3 blocks instead of 6.
Native: French Fluent: English, toki pona Learning: German, Esperanto, Chinese and Japanese.
Thakowsaizmu
runic
runic

Post by Thakowsaizmu »

rafaeru wrote:What I meant is that we could put words written in bopomofo in squares syllable by syllable so liberty would have 3 blocks instead of 6.
So Hangul then?
masako
mayan
mayan

Post by masako »

Thakowsaizmu wrote:
rafaeru wrote:What I meant is that we could put words written in bopomofo in squares syllable by syllable so liberty would have 3 blocks instead of 6.
So Hangul then?
That's what I'm thinking.

so:

리벨티 = "Liberty"
g

o

n

e
rafaeru
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by rafaeru »

You're 'half' right, Hangul structure is perfect but something that combine Chinese characters and Hangul structure would be better. Writing with Hangul is too easy, we could do the same thing with the tibetan alphabet. The change here is to take the Chinese writing which is ideographic and make an alphabet that looks like the Chinese characters with it.
Native: French Fluent: English, toki pona Learning: German, Esperanto, Chinese and Japanese.
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

Sounds a little closer to :con:script Rhaelik.
Thakowsaizmu
runic
runic

Post by Thakowsaizmu »

rafaeru wrote:You're 'half' right, Hangul structure is perfect but something that combine Chinese characters and Hangul structure would be better. Writing with Hangul is too easy, we could do the same thing with the tibetan alphabet. The change here is to take the Chinese writing which is ideographic and make an alphabet that looks like the Chinese characters with it.
Ok, so you want to have a script that looks like Hanzi, but is an alphabet that works like Hangul but is used for English but that there isn't enough of a pattern that it looks like an alphabet but instead a system of writing that has some 5,000 characters?
masako
mayan
mayan

Post by masako »

Thakowsaizmu wrote:Ok, so you want to have a script that looks like Hanzi, but is an alphabet that works like Hangul but is used for English but that there isn't enough of a pattern that it looks like an alphabet but instead a system of writing that has some 5,000 characters?
Yeah, that's what he seems to be saying.

Like I said, he isn't likely to get what he wants.
g

o

n

e
rafaeru
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by rafaeru »

Yes this is what I want. Can you give me a link to that conscript "Rhaelik"? I never saw it.
Thakowsaizmu
runic
runic

Post by Thakowsaizmu »

Well, good luck with that.
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

With a little trepidation, here.

I think it's just a little bit closer in theory. I have no idea where Anderson got the (Hanzi) ideas for the shapes of his consonants. They vary in a similar way to hira/katakana and (if I remember right) Tengwar in terms of mute/voiced.
The vowels are shrunken, quasi-diacritical marks that go above the consonants.

Now that I'm reviewing Thakosaizmu's and Sano's comments, I'm not sure this is anything like what you want, but it's a somewhat interesting idea, nonetheless.

Here's the link. Download it and give it a try, if you wish/dare.

Akumu's Rhaelik Conalpha
{ I anticipate the mehs and beuhs of crestfallenness}

Whatever you guys come up with. I would love to see a 草書 cǎoshū version. I am simply mesmerized by that style [O.O] , and made a cǎoshū version of my Yauchuan script, to give it a more hiragana feel.
Thakowsaizmu
runic
runic

Post by Thakowsaizmu »

Lambuzhao wrote:I would love to see a 草書 cǎoshū version. I am simply mesmerized by that style [O.O] , and made a cǎoshū version of my Yauchuan script, to give it a more hiragana feel.
As long as it's not a 肏書 càoshū version, hehe.
rafaeru
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by rafaeru »

I am also mesmerized by that style. Could you show me your yauchuan script?
Keenir
mayan
mayan

Post by Keenir »

rafaeru wrote: Writing with Hangul is too easy,
only if you know Hangul.
we could do the same thing with the tibetan alphabet. The change here is to take the Chinese writing which is ideographic and make an alphabet that looks like the Chinese characters with it.
like this?
At work on Apaan: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4799
Ear of the Sphinx
mayan
mayan

Post by Ear of the Sphinx »

Maybe a syllabary for English, using Chinese ideograms as its letters (ofc. with changed pronunciation).
Thrice the brinded cat hath mew'd.
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

Thakowsaizmu wrote: As long as it's not a 肏書 càoshū version, hehe.

No...but 肏書 hehehe okay [B)]
masako
mayan
mayan

Post by masako »

Milyamd wrote:Maybe a syllabary for English, using Chinese ideograms as its letters (ofc. with changed pronunciation).
Like Khitan?

http://www.ancientscripts.com/khitan.html
g

o

n

e
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

For your dissection:

NB:
1) The text reads from top to bottom

ga.e.ra ya.e
rain COP
There is rain / It's raining.

2) The diagonal slashes in the cuneiform are word separators (Clever!). Yauchuan does not have or use them.

3) One thing you will notice is that elements in glyphs, or even entire glyphs appear to be rotated (basically 90deg.)
I did this and I defend it with the example of Hieratic Egyptian. In Hieratic Egyptian the plural sign is three little bars side by side ( ||| ) which came from Hieroglyphic Egyptian, in which the plural sign was three bars one above the other (or sometimes three side by side). Other signs also got the rotation treatment when going from hieroglyph to hieratic.

4) The /e/ glyph was from a rotated /a/ glyph.
rafaeru
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by rafaeru »

Keenir wrote:
rafaeru wrote: Writing with Hangul is too easy,
only if you know Hangul.
we could do the same thing with the tibetan alphabet. The change here is to take the Chinese writing which is ideographic and make an alphabet that looks like the Chinese characters with it.
like this?
yes like this.
And a syllabary, why not? An abugida would also be very interesting.
And your caoshu is very beautiful. Can you teac me how to create my own caoshu? Because as I write in Chinese and Japanese I could have a result that is as beautiful as that. Chinese calligraphy always fascinated me. In my room I have tableaus of Chinese and Japanese calligraphy including Caoshu.
I would like to see your conlangs because they seem to be the kind of conlangs I search.
Thakowsaizmu
runic
runic

Post by Thakowsaizmu »

Lambuzhao wrote: Image
That looks awesome
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »