Project Unobtainium: a space opera conworld

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
cntrational
greek
greek

Project Unobtainium: a space opera conworld

Post by cntrational »

Edit from the future:Wikia here.

So, recently, I came up with the idea for a collab conworld, based on soft space operas like Star Trek, Mass Effect, and Space Battleship Yamato (aka Star Blazers), but given a few modern twists and ideas.

Essentially, it should be like those kind of shows. I'll give a few of the ground rules, to illustrate.

Setting rules:
  • At first, no humans. The majority of the setting building should not have humans, who should be introduced late into the setting, once it's mature, if at all.
  • Instead of focusing on a hard science fictional setting with extremely plausible science (not that I'm saying hard sci-fi is bad), softer space operatic tropes should apply. However, we shouldn't invent anything that would break the setting.
  • Space should be treated like as ocean, with nautical terms like "the ship sank" for "the spaceship was destroyed". Fighters and smaller vehicles should be be similar to airplanes.
  • Spaceships can have their own appearance, but nautical-like designs are good.
  • Aliens are mostly humanoids, with few exceptions. Think Mass Effect or Star Trek.
  • Most alien races should be around the same level of advancement, with maybe one or two "overseeing ancient species", if so wanted. There is some leeway for this, some races might be advanced, some races might be more primitive.
  • A precursor civilization may or may not exist. However, they should be virtually gone by the time the main setting comes about.
  • Unlike the traditional space opera, though, we'll add the twist of transhumanism being common. How widespread within a single culture it is is up to you.
  • Races may have telepathy, but it may or may not be common, up to you. Telekineses should be rare.
  • AI should exist, but should be relatively basic. No god computers, much as I'm personally fond of them.
  • FTL exists, but I am not currently certain about what form it'd take. We'll discuss that to start with.
And a few conworlding rules:
  • Each alien culture should be handled by one or two people each. You can collab if you want to, but I'd prefer more focus to flesh things out.
  • Interactions between cultures should be discussed and set out between the involved parties and the community as a whole.
  • Don't try to godmod your way through. Your culture should sometimes lose, sometimes win, sometimes other.
  • Humans, if we choose to introduce them, are to be collab'd. So, they'll be introduced late, after the rest of the galaxy has matured.
  • Above all, have fun, be interesting.
All of the rules above can be changed by consensus, if you guys so wish.

So, sign up if you're interested. As the first topic of discussion, we should discuss the FTL method of the setting, and the setting name.
Last edited by cntrational on 01 Feb 2015 16:01, edited 2 times in total.
KippLeKipp
rupestrian
rupestrian

Re: Collab soft sci-fi space opera conworld

Post by KippLeKipp »

I'm down for this, sign me up!
Citizen of the Kerhónnixakakjë Kuelikizhókjë Rhónnëxakuelinn jódEkera
My Conworld: Xerinn - cold war-esque magitech

[2:40:11 AM] KippLeKipp: i want to introduce impolite imperatives
[2:40:20 AM] CapitalOneBanksy: the fuckingdoative
Salmoneus
MVP
MVP

Post by Salmoneus »

What on earth is this nautical obsession for? If you want a conworld about ships and aeroplanes, why not put it on an ocean, rather than in space? What possible reason could there be for every alien culture to design all their spaceships to look like early-20th-century battleships from earth?
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

I'd like to join the project, can I? should a participant have some drawing or painting skills?
I prefer to not be referred to with masculine pronouns and nouns such as “he/him/his”.
Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo »

Salmoneus wrote:What on earth is this nautical obsession for? If you want a conworld about ships and aeroplanes, why not put it on an ocean, rather than in space? What possible reason could there be for every alien culture to design all their spaceships to look like early-20th-century battleships from earth?
And even in space opera series like Mass Effect and Star Trek, different alien cultures have radically different starship designs.

More to the point though is the restriction on non-humans only, but humanoid aliens only. Whyyyyyy!?

I have an idea for an aquatic spacefaring species I was interested in developing; I was especially interested in figuring out how a spaceship that's filled with water at high pressures would work logistically. But I don't see any way to make them even remotely humanoid without leaving the realm of space opera and entering the realm of silly parody.
My pronouns are <xe> [ziː] / <xym> [zɪm] / <xys> [zɪz]

My shitty twitter
cntrational
greek
greek

Post by cntrational »

They don't have to be humanoid as a rule, just that most species should be humanoid. If you don't want a humanoid species, that's fine.

And they don't have to look exactly like a battleship, just ship-like. Sorry, wasn't clear on that.
cntrational
greek
greek

Post by cntrational »

k1234567890y wrote:I'd like to join the project, can I? should a participant have some drawing or painting skills?
Nah, you don't need to be able to draw. So you can join.
Segano
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by Segano »

Awesome awesome awesome, count me in. =D

Is there going to be some kind of union? Like, with every culture or alien race having its own planet?
Fluent: :nld: :usa: Average: :esp: Basic: :rus: :srp: Terrible: :bra: :swe:
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

cntrational wrote:
k1234567890y wrote:I'd like to join the project, can I? should a participant have some drawing or painting skills?
Nah, you don't need to be able to draw. So you can join.
ok :)

In fact, I can draw, although my drawing skill is probably not outstanding, and it is possible that some people can't at all...
I prefer to not be referred to with masculine pronouns and nouns such as “he/him/his”.
cntrational
greek
greek

Post by cntrational »

Segano wrote:Awesome awesome awesome, count me in. =D

Is there going to be some kind of union? Like, with every culture or alien race having its own planet?
I think to start out with, we'll have each culture starting on its homeworld, and then spreading to colony worlds, then maybe establish a more general galactic UN-like thing.
Segano
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by Segano »

Great, that'd be really cool.
Fluent: :nld: :usa: Average: :esp: Basic: :rus: :srp: Terrible: :bra: :swe:
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

will we have an wiki for the ideas of the alien world? or will you have other ways to host the ideas?
Hālian
sinic
sinic

Post by Hālian »

I'm tempted to bring the safir in. :3
Image Safir Alliance
Image Hoennese Realm
cntrational
greek
greek

Post by cntrational »

k1234567890y wrote:will we have an wiki for the ideas of the alien world? or will you have other ways to host the ideas?
I'll probably start a Wikia soon, yeah.

Edit: Also, I'm amending the ship design rule.
cntrational
greek
greek

Post by cntrational »

So, guys...

1. Any amendments to the ground rules you want to suggest?
2. What method of FTL should we use?
3. What should be the name for the universe?
KippLeKipp
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by KippLeKipp »

cntrational wrote:So, guys...

1. Any amendments to the ground rules you want to suggest?
2. What method of FTL should we use?
3. What should be the name for the universe?
1. I'm quite all right with how they're set out now, especially since the ship rule is being amended
2. "Slow" FTL travel (1LY per week?) should be possible via a ship's internal core alone; but faster, longer distance travel would require some kind of infrastructure.
3. I'll let you guys decide. I'm pretty much fine with anything.
Citizen of the Kerhónnixakakjë Kuelikizhókjë Rhónnëxakuelinn jódEkera
My Conworld: Xerinn - cold war-esque magitech

[2:40:11 AM] KippLeKipp: i want to introduce impolite imperatives
[2:40:20 AM] CapitalOneBanksy: the fuckingdoative
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

1. that's ok, but how basic should AIs be? can AIs be as smart as people or smarter than people, provided that they are not becoming godmachines?
2. as for FTL, can we have wormholes alongside with alcubierre drives(and these can be combined with what KippLeKipp)? that is, spaceships can make some wormholes connecting shorter distances, or/and can use alcubierre drive to achieve faster-than-light(and as both of them require considerable amount of energy, the warp distance is limited for spaceships without using the infrastructures of the universe, since the amount of energy a spaceship can carry is limited), but one needs to expand already existing wormholes to connect places with longer distances. All spaceships cannot perform FTL travel without warp engines or using existing already-expanded wormholes.
3. you decide :)
Hālian
sinic
sinic

Post by Hālian »

cntrational wrote:1. Any amendments to the ground rules you want to suggest?
No.
cntrational wrote:2. What method of FTL should we use?
No infrastructure required for FTL travel, and FTL should be fast.
cntrational wrote:3. What should be the name for the universe?
I have no suggestions.
Image Safir Alliance
Image Hoennese Realm
Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo »

Important: FTL travel exists, but do FTL sensors? If you can't see your enemy before they get into firing range, this massively changes the implications of warfare.
My pronouns are <xe> [ziː] / <xym> [zɪm] / <xys> [zɪz]

My shitty twitter
cntrational
greek
greek

Post by cntrational »

Micamo wrote:Important: FTL travel exists, but do FTL sensors? If you can't see your enemy before they get into firing range, this massively changes the implications of warfare.
Hmm...I prefer something where they'd be able to detect FTL, but only for relatively short distances. Like detecting a ship an hour away. That gives warning time, but still requires rapid preparation and setups.