Sounds like Japanese

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
zyma
korean
korean

Re: Sounds like Japanese

Post by zyma »

svld wrote:But most of those are in different syllables (or long vowel such as えい and おう). With diphthong in every syllable it's like american accent taken to extreme.
And?

VV doesn't necessarily mean diphthongs.
The user formerly known as "shimobaatar".
(she)
svld
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by svld »

shimobaatar wrote:And?

And?

VV can be two different syllable without consonant in between or long vowel or W or something but what is the thing if
1. Syllable Structure: CVV
2. the two vowels must always be different.
3. the VV is not a diphthong
zyma
korean
korean

Post by zyma »

svld wrote:
shimobaatar wrote:And?

And?

VV can be two different syllable without consonant in between or long vowel or W or something but what is the thing if
1. Syllable Structure: CVV
2. the two vowels must always be different.
3. the VV is not a diphthong
I don't understand what you're trying to say here. I think there might be some typos?

I'm also starting to think we might be talking about different things. My point was just that Japanese allows vowel clusters, even though it doesn't allow diphthongs.
(she)
svld
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by svld »

shimobaatar wrote:I'm also starting to think we might be talking about different things.
That's probably the case, all I said is about two different vowel in CVV syllable structure.
clawgrip
MVP
MVP

Post by clawgrip »

In Japanese, any vowel can follow any other vowel, in sequences of theoretically any length. It should be noted that えい and おう can represent both long /eː oː/ and /ei oɯ/ depending on context. That being said, to say that Japanese "doesn't allow diphthongs" is debatable. The language is analyzed and often spoken such that vowels are entirely separate, in some modes of speech the vowels can merge into diphthong-like sequences. If we're going by what it sounds like (according to thw OP) then this seems somewhat relevant.
zyma
korean
korean

Post by zyma »

In "standard" Japanese, aren't all vowel sequences "supposed" to be separated by hiatus? That's all I meant.
(she)
Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo »

To answer the OP's actual question, there are two good answers here.

1. Ignore them. Your lang is plenty different from Japanese and anyone who says otherwise is obviously ignorant. (No, I'm not bitter about the whole "Haneko is Japanese" thing, why do you ask?)

2. Allow any type of coda other than /n/, especially plosive codas.
My pronouns are <xe> [ziː] / <xym> [zɪm] / <xys> [zɪz]

My shitty twitter
clawgrip
MVP
MVP

Post by clawgrip »

shimobaatar wrote:In "standard" Japanese, aren't all vowel sequences "supposed" to be separated by hiatus? That's all I meant.
Yes, but Japanese is tricky because it works partly on the mora level and partly on the syllable level. So sequences like /ai/ often end up pretty much like diphthongs. In a word like, say mainichi, the /i/ should be as long as the other three morae, but in actual quick speech, the /mai/ can be reduced in length so that it is nearly the same length as either of the other two syllables. I'm not sure this is entirely relevant to the discussion since people who say it "sounds like" Japanese probably don't know enough about this for it to matter.