The Multiverse Inn

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
gestaltist
mayan
mayan

The Multiverse Inn

Post by gestaltist »

Welcome to the Multiverse Inn. It is a place removed from the regular spacial-temporal continuum, where by the unlimited power of imagination people from all corners of What-Is and What-Might-Be can meet up and talk. Take a sit, grab a bite, say your name, and join in on the discussion.

Rules:
- this is not a „speak your own conlang“ thread - speak English here
- all posts are to be written from the perspective of a character from one of your conworlds
- you are allowed to add some meta-explanations but try to do it from the perspective of the character, not your own
- a newly introduced character has to present themselves - this will make it easier for others to understand their viewpoint, and will also give us a clue if the same poster changes their character.

I may be posting as the Barkeep sometimes to moderate the discussion. Such posts will be underlined, as the one above.
gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Re: The Multiverse Inn

Post by gestaltist »

Welcome everyone. My name is Ruvilau. I come from the land called Maan. I used to be a slave but by the grace of the gods I was raised to the honor of being a priest.

I have been chatting with some wonderfully strange peoples over here: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=4369 but we were made to leave, so I would like to answer any questions that remained open. I hope that my Daine interlocutor is somewhere here in the crowd.

elemtilas wrote: I don't know, but I think your country is about the strangest I've ever heard of! Where in the World can it be if there's no dwimmery, no stockings-n-britches, no People, I guess apart from Men? Do you life in Afarea? They say no Daine live there, but only Men; swertlings, they call them. Different from the blaowemen of the East.
We call our world Ayay, which is close enough in meaning to your All-That-Is, I think. We don’t know much outside of our own land. It is separated by high mountains from the West and the North, by impassable ocean from the South, and by barbarian-infested steppes to the East. I don’t know of any other speaking creatures other than Men. Might be there are some in the far corners of Ayay.
Anyway, if you don't know what stockings are, what kind of clothes do you wear, or do you wear none?
The typical clothing consists of a tunic and sandals. Slaves normally only wear loincloths. I have to wear a full-body robe as a priest but it gets unbearably hot in it, especially in the summer. Your land has to be very cold if you need to cover your legs.
elemtilas wrote:
gestaltist wrote:Not even his children, The Twin Suns, our Mother Goddess, nor her husband, the Heavenly Warrior, can alter them.
Twin Suns!? Now that is strange to hear! Is there another Sun in the Uttermost South? We know of only Sawel, the bright Daystar. Or are you confusing Sawel with Selanna, Gea's twin, and Wesara, the silver moon?
I don’t understand any of those names. We have one sun once every week - this is the day when the Twins reconnect and become one. They grow apart the next day, though, and stay apart for seven days until their next reunion. It gets colder on those days, as they get immersed in one another and don’t give as much attention to the world.

You must be very confused, my friend, as everybody knows that the Moon is in fact the Old God, watching over His creation.
But how did you eradicate the nameless Things? What kind of Men are you that you have such power!? Or ... wait! Are you pulling my wing? Is this some kind of fanciful tale you're telling me?

Hah! You tell me first that you can destroy the nameless Things, and then you tell me you have no control over dwimmery! You Men are liars! Or, if you are not lying, by what weapon can you defeat such demons without dwimmery?
Our gods have given our ancestors strength and power to expel the demons from the land. Once the land was clear, they took that power away lest our ancestors abuse it.

I would myself be wary of such legends if I didn’t see the skeleton of one of the demons myself.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

gestaltist wrote:Welcome everyone. My name is Ruvilau. I come from the land called Maan. I used to be a slave but by the grace of the gods I was raised to the honor of being a priest.

I have been chatting with some wonderfully strange peoples over here: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=4369 but we were made to leave, so I would like to answer any questions that remained open. I hope that my Daine interlocutor is somewhere here in the crowd.
I am here! Took a while to find this place --- could swear twas empty brick wall the other day... Anyway, although I live here in Auntimoany, I was born in what is now the Queendom of Westmarche. For that reason, my family here call me Canash, which is the ancient name for that land. In Westmarche, each parent and godparent gives a newborn a name, so most people have four names. People whose fathers have two or three wives will naturally have many more names. My name there is Brass-Spoon Rattles-Jar Three-Leg-Dog Running-Home. Folks here think my name is so very quaint. I suppose my parents and godparents felt very clever, naming me for a story about a dog that runs into the house at the sound of an old spoon rattling around in an empty jar!
The typical clothing consists of a tunic and sandals. Slaves normally only wear loincloths. I have to wear a full-body robe as a priest but it gets unbearably hot in it, especially in the summer. Your land has to be very cold if you need to cover your legs.
It gets cold enough in winter! Then we also wear a woolen cape and mittens if it's really bitter; but no one needs a cape except in the coldest months! We don't generally wear very much at all: britches and maybe stockings; of course a few neck rings, arm rings, ankle rings -- anywhere we can put a ring! I always like to wear a cap, too. And no matter what else we wear, we always have a small memory pouch on a cord -- we keep special little trinkets in there, things that remind of some place or event. Mind you, we don't always wear stockings, especially in the summer. They do become rather warm. Our monks wear a kind of robe, but tis of colored linen, yellow I believe it's called.

Our monks are mostly concerned with the maintenance of tes, kind of the spiritual balance of all things. They meditate a lot, they sing and kind dance a bit, too. They're very wise and often teach their lore to anyone who wants to learn; but mostly they seem to be around whenever there is someone in need. And they're all very old. We Daine live a good long time according to the years of Men, but our monks live perhaps twice or thrice as long as even that! Maybe three or four thousand years!
Twin Suns!? Now that is strange to hear! Is there another Sun in the Uttermost South? We know of only Sawel, the bright Daystar. Or are you confusing Sawel with Selanna, Gea's twin, and Wesara, the silver moon?
I don’t understand any of those names. We have one sun once every week - this is the day when the Twins reconnect and become one. They grow apart the next day, though, and stay apart for seven days until their next reunion. It gets colder on those days, as they get immersed in one another and don’t give as much attention to the world.

You must be very confused, my friend, as everybody knows that the Moon is in fact the Old God, watching over His creation.
I am confused! I've never seen our Sun another Sun, so I think we must only have the one. Unless she ate the other Sun long ago... Anyway, when we look up in the sky, we can see Selanna -- this is Gea's twin. We call her this because we can easily see the clouds and storms that pass over her lands and seas. Geographical philosophers are fond of saying that they have better maps of Selanna than they have of Gea. Wesara is a tiny moon that you can barely see during the day, but at night he's bright and white! Men think we're crazy, but we Daine know there is also a very tiny third moon. I guess Men can't see it. Maybe because it's so dark, they can't tell it's there?

Are you not scared your one Sun will eat the other and never spit her out again?

Your gods live in your moon? The gods of Men seem here to prefer mountain tops. The Father of all gods and people lives in Over Heaven. I think that's even beyond the beautiful world of the stars!
But how did you eradicate the nameless Things? What kind of Men are you that you have such power!? Or ... wait! Are you pulling my wing? Is this some kind of fanciful tale you're telling me?
Our gods have given our ancestors strength and power to expel the demons from the land. Once the land was clear, they took that power away lest our ancestors abuse it.

I would myself be wary of such legends if I didn’t see the skeleton of one of the demons myself.
Okay. That makes some sense. Sure the Powers, the mightiest of all, are strong enough to fight off and kill the Things from outside. Better them than us! I'm not sure what any person of this World would do if given such powers as they have! Even the greatest of the Elders,

What did the demon skeleton look like? Down in the Palas, they have a great museum will kinds of mathoms in it. They even have the skeletons of mighty dragons there! I couldn't believe anything so large could ever live and walk; and I always thought the wild oliphants of wastelands were big!

gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Post by gestaltist »

elemtilas wrote: I am here! Took a while to find this place --- could swear twas empty brick wall the other day... Anyway, although I live here in Auntimoany, I was born in what is now the Queendom of Westmarche. For that reason, my family here call me Canash, which is the ancient name for that land. In Westmarche, each parent and godparent gives a newborn a name, so most people have four names. People whose fathers have two or three wives will naturally have many more names. My name there is Brass-Spoon Rattles-Jar Three-Leg-Dog Running-Home. Folks here think my name is so very quaint. I suppose my parents and godparents felt very clever, naming me for a story about a dog that runs into the house at the sound of an old spoon rattling around in an empty jar!
This is a rather funny story. Can you tell me, though, what a „dog" is? Is it something like our rak?
It gets cold enough in winter! Then we also wear a woolen cape and mittens if it's really bitter; but no one needs a cape except in the coldest months! We don't generally wear very much at all: britches and maybe stockings; of course a few neck rings, arm rings, ankle rings -- anywhere we can put a ring! I always like to wear a cap, too. And no matter what else we wear, we always have a small memory pouch on a cord -- we keep special little trinkets in there, things that remind of some place or event. Mind you, we don't always wear stockings, especially in the summer. They do become rather warm. Our monks wear a kind of robe, but tis of colored linen, yellow I believe it's called.
Here in Maadú, it gets cold in the mountains to the North, where the mines are. I have never been there, though.

Our women love rings, as well. The rich ones use brass rings. The poorer folk make them out of river hemp, same as we use for tunics.
Our monks are mostly concerned with the maintenance of tes, kind of the spiritual balance of all things. They meditate a lot, they sing and kind dance a bit, too. They're very wise and often teach their lore to anyone who wants to learn; but mostly they seem to be around whenever there is someone in need. And they're all very old.
Is „monk“ your word for a priest? They seem to have similar duties. We meditate on the ancient inscriptions, we lead religious ceremonies and feasts, but educating our people is our most important duty. We need to make sure that Maandi speak pure Lirsh, as it is a holy language, bestowed upon us by the gods. We try to teach even the poorest folk to at least read some of the script.

Other important things we do is passing judgements, resolving conflicts and electing ternans and the king. In some regions, the ternans pass their office onto their heirs but it is against the gods’ will.
We Daine live a good long time according to the years of Men, but our monks live perhaps twice or thrice as long as even that! Maybe three or four thousand years!
I don’t know how to feel about this. Either you are lying, or you are a demon, after all. No mortal creature can survive that long.
I am confused! I've never seen our Sun another Sun, so I think we must only have the one. Unless she ate the other Sun long ago... Anyway, when we look up in the sky, we can see Selanna -- this is Gea's twin. We call her this because we can easily see the clouds and storms that pass over her lands and seas. Geographical philosophers are fond of saying that they have better maps of Selanna than they have of Gea. Wesara is a tiny moon that you can barely see during the day, but at night he's bright and white! Men think we're crazy, but we Daine know there is also a very tiny third moon. I guess Men can't see it. Maybe because it's so dark, they can't tell it's there?
You are telling me very strange things indeed. Aren’t the skies the Eternal Realm where gods and souls of great heroes reside? I understand that you take „Gea“ to mean the Earth. Do you believe the Earth has a twin that has a soul and lives amongst the gods?

You also seem to be calling the Old God Wesara. I will try to remember that.
Are you not scared your one Sun will eat the other and never spit her out again?
Why would anyone want to eat their brother? You have some ridiculous notions.
Your gods live in your moon? The gods of Men seem here to prefer mountain tops. The Father of all gods and people lives in Over Heaven. I think that's even beyond the beautiful world of the stars!
There are two kinds of gods. The Heavenly Gods live in the skies, as I said. It is the Old God, his Bride, the Darkness, and their sons, the Twin Suns. With them, the great heroes are allowed to rest forever, and we see them as stars. They shine as bright as they were glorious on this Earth.

The second kind of gods is the Earthly Gods. They have been brought to life by the Old God to govern the Earth and protect it from demons and evil spirits. They live on the Holy Mountain Kepay so maybe it is them that the Men in your land worship? They are the Mother Goddess and the Heavenly Warrior. They also have a son - Tarmar, the God of the Sea, but he has been expelled for his hubris and lives in the depths of the ocean.
What did the demon skeleton look like?
The skeleton (which we keep secret in the depths of our Great Temple and only select few priests know of its existence) looks like a weird mixture of a man and a dark hunter. It has a tail, a snout, four fingers with opposable thumbs and claws at the end of each finger. Their feet look very similar to their hands, just like those of a dark hunter or a rak.
Down in the Palas, they have a great museum will kinds of mathoms in it. They even have the skeletons of mighty dragons there! I couldn't believe anything so large could ever live and walk; and I always thought the wild oliphants of wastelands were big!
I have heard of dragons. One Ardaan barbarian we have caught claimed their folk still fights the demons in the far south, and he claimed the demons there ride atop their dragons. It must be silly talk, though. How could a godless barbarian ever defeat a demon?
hoeroathlo
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by hoeroathlo »

Hello I'm Egra Naqut but you can just call me Eg'qut I am from Sania, Ginara, and I am the head science of the S.R.A. (the Sanian Reserch Assosiation). I was exparamenting with a well know substance called Vacitorine and I applied it to red crystal which has been resantly discoverd and it (the Vacitorine) reacted with the crystal and I arrived here. There are many interesing beings here and Ive been looking arround, know the problem is getting home may I have some assistance.
Foolster41
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Foolster41 »

((I love this sort of thing! I assume doing snippets, when appropriate (and translating) parts of language is alright, I assume you just mean don't talk exclusively in your conlang).

A middle aged slightly rotund lizard-man enters. He is wearing a sleeveless tunic with a belt, with a longsleeved shirt underneith. he is also wearing simple sandals. On his head are a row of spikes that run to the back of his neack.

He puts his hands out palm upward, throwing his arms wildly outward doing so, and bobs his head. "<Dikaesha!>." he says in a booming voice "Hello, friends!". They call me Gifuga, I hail from the coastal desert nation of Saltha. "I run a alehouse in the capital city, Karathe.". He looks around then laughs. "It's funny. Never been a custoner of an alehouse before!"

((I'll try not to get carried away with eye dialect. :P ))
Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius »

A strange whizzing sound can be heard from the outside. The wind opens the door and a modern, red British phone box (KX+) can bee seen from the outside.
A brown, human-sized rodent, clothed like these guys, enters the inn...

(Mumbles:) "You want to have an adventure?", he said. "Take this one", he said. That's what I get from using untested equipment...

Hello? (Sees the rules, puts his glasses on, squints)
Uh, I am Argenzu Montèis. I'm a student of Buonavallese and Wilandish philology and came here by pure accident - from the Buonavallese University.
Is it still the year 3015 AUC? This isn't Earth, is it?
He retracts to a quiet corner, unpacks his laptop and checks the dimensional coordinates...
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com
Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo »

Eh, alright, let's try it:

A young girl, about 16 by the looks of it, enters the room. She is about 4'10" and is covered in a cloak of white fur that reaches the floor, the hood pulled down over her eyes and a white scarf covering her nose and mouth. On the back of the cloak is an insignia of a red human heart, anatomically accurate, with five black arrows piercing it. As she enters, she turns around and spreads her cloak, clearly showing this insignia to all.

"I am Xhw'sh Hask'ihthtex' P'xwth. Apprentice of Xhw'sh Tilełchnekith' Kwil'en."

She turns around and inspects everyone in the room, never lifting her hood or lowering her scarf to show her face. She gazes vacantly at Ruvilau for a while, overwhelmed by a vision of his rather violent eventual death. When it ends, she struggles not to look at his left arm.
Last edited by Micamo on 01 Apr 2015 09:39, edited 1 time in total.
My pronouns are <xe> [ziː] / <xym> [zɪm] / <xys> [zɪz]

My shitty twitter
Ànradh
roman
roman

Post by Ànradh »

Spoiler:
I've been trying to get this guy's character fleshed out in my head, so excuse him if he's a little inconsistent.
"Oh! People! People at last!" Theatrical, hysterical and subtly mocking, the deep male voice is accompanied by a most rancid odour. The colossal bulk of the thing that owns it shuffles forwards with a heavy tread, one two-fingered hand grasping the voluminous folds of a badly worn and rough-spun shroud, crudely stitched together from great sheets, about its frame; the knuckles of the other play the role of a third, ad hoc foot. The blades, to call them claws would do them disservice, on the end of each thick digit curve back under its forearm, long enough for the ends to disappear into its robes. Its great hind paws are more leonine, and any claws they bear are currently hidden away in their sheaths. As for its face? It obviously belonged to something that had died some time ago; pallid, drawn and sporting white-cast eyes in bruised sockets, the vaguely feline nose and carnivorous teeth only slightly robbed it of its human appearance. The smell, perhaps, now makes sense. "I do so lovvvvve company" it grins ferally, "And did I hear talk of demons?"
Sin ar Pàrras agus nì sinne mar a thogras sinn. Choisinn sinn e agus ’s urrainn dhuinn ga loisgeadh.
gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Post by gestaltist »

hoeroathlo wrote:Hello I'm Egra Naqut but you can just call me Eg'qut I am from Sania, Ginara, and I am the head science of the S.R.A. (the Sanian Reserch Assosiation). I was exparamenting with a well know substance called Vacitorine and I applied it to red crystal which has been resantly discoverd and it (the Vacitorine) reacted with the crystal and I arrived here. There are many interesing beings here and Ive been looking arround, know the problem is getting home may I have some assistance.
Welcome to the Multiverse Inn, Eg’qut. - the Barkeep says. - You can leave through this door right here. Why don’t you stay with us, have a drink from any universe of your choice, and tell us a story, instead?
Foolster41 wrote:((I love this sort of thing! I assume doing snippets, when appropriate (and translating) parts of language is alright, I assume you just mean don't talk exclusively in your conlang).
The magic of this place makes it possible for us all to understand each other. Even if you speak your native language, we will know what it means. (At the meta level, this means that you are allowed to use words from your conlangs if they don’t have an English equivalent, or you need to provide a translation otherwise.)
hoeroathlo
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by hoeroathlo »

Welcome to the Multiverse Inn, Eg’qut. - the Barkeep says. - You can leave through this door right here. Why don’t you stay with us, have a drink from any universe of your choice, and tell us a story, instead?

thank you... what is your name if I may ask? and I was just wondering how to go home, I have no plans on leaving any time soon. There is so much to do and see here I could be here for weeks.
gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Post by gestaltist »

hoeroathlo wrote: thank you... what is your name if I may ask? and I was just wondering how to go home, I have no plans on leaving any time soon. There is so much to do and see here I could be here for weeks.
I am simply the Barkeep. I have no other name and no other home. I am here to ensure the safety and wellbeing of all participants. We get very dangerous guests from time to time, you know. I will pour you a drink and find you a place to sit. Why don’t you have a chat with one of our lovely guests?
gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Post by gestaltist »

Micamo wrote: She turns around and inspects everyone in the room, never lifting her hood or lowering her scarf to show her face. She gazes vacantly at Ruvilau for a while, overwhelmed by a vision of his rather violent eventual death. When it ends, she struggles not to look at his left arm.
Ruvilau calmly returns the gaze. He smiles faintly, as if to say „I know." - You have a very strange name, girl. - he says. - What shall we call you in here?

He walks over to her, and in a much softer voice, he says: - I can tell you have Eyes that See. It is a rare gift. I can also tell your eyes have seen much more than you would care to ask for. You have my compassion.
Ànradh
roman
roman

Post by Ànradh »

The rag-bound thing shifts itself peevishly, feet thumping the floor as it tries, inelegantly, to lean back on its haunches. "One of those dangerous guests has a vested interest in demons... For example, what is a dragon? And why ride one? How does it respond to magical... leakage?"
Sin ar Pàrras agus nì sinne mar a thogras sinn. Choisinn sinn e agus ’s urrainn dhuinn ga loisgeadh.
Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius »

Argenzu watches the scene and looks out of the window; the lonely phone booth has closed its doors.

The rodent stares at the monitor of his 90s-style laptop.
The keyboard is clicking as he enters his lines, the screen taints his face with a blue-ish light.

"So many names and species",he thinks.
His ears wander back and forth as he hears the different voices. His attention for the laptop is interrupted as he hears the word 'dragon'.

"Dragons!", he responds slowly, turning around to the feline clothed in rags.
Dragons are, at least where I come from, no more than mythical animals, giant lizards with enormous wings.
The closest things to dragons we had lived a long time ago at the foot of the Monte Palato, or "Mount Palatu". These animals are long extinct, but their vestiges still can be seen: It's the birds.

By the way, I haven't heared your name.
I'm Argenzu. Argenzu Montèis from Grezognja.

He stretches out his right hand, with an unsure smile on his face, hoping that the Lion-Man wouldn't chop it off.
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

he responds slowly, turning around to the feline clothed in rags.
"Wow. sounds like a David Bowie lyric ", a woman mused. She was busy keeping an eye on the place from under the wide shadowy brim of her petasus. The other eye was puffy and it hurt to stay open; still tender from the altercation with those two bounty hunters from the Cetusian Cluster. Well, one bounty hunter and one incredibly clumsy bootlick. Anyway, thanks to her, both have gone on to wend forevermore in Infernity's unsolvable mazes.

"It's always bounty hunters, isn't it?" she thought, and a smile slowly arqued on her lips.

She tranquilly sipped her aguardiente from the tiny, dirty glass, and felt the razor-sharp warmth scritch-scratch down her dry throat, and then slowly smoulder back upwards, flaring her nostrils with that aromatic, alcohol-bliss that only real spirits can give.

"I can't pay the rent," She thought.

"But you must pay the rent," she thought back.

"I can't pay the rent..."
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Micamo wrote:A young girl, about 16 by the looks of it, enters the room. She is about 4'10" and is covered in a cloak of white fur that reaches the floor, the hood pulled down over her eyes and a white scarf covering her nose and mouth. On the back of the cloak is an insignia of a red human heart, anatomically accurate, with five black arrows piercing it. As she enters, she turns around and spreads her cloak, clearly showing this insignia to all.

"I am Xhw'sh Hask'ihthtex' P'xwth. Apprentice of Xhw'sh Tilełchnekith' Kwil'en."

She turns around and inspects everyone in the room, never lifting her hood or lowering her scarf to show her face. She gazes vacantly at Ruvilau for a while, overwhelmed by a vision of his rather violent eventual death. When it ends, she struggles not to look at his left arm.
Oo, someone my own height! Why do you hide your sad eyes? Like mine, they've seen too much -- I can tell that by looking. Why do you wear your scarf over your face? Tis not winter anymore! Tis the first of Fogstide, and the New Year revelries are winding down and the Sun is returned from her holidays away in the Southlands! But perhaps it is cold where you are come from... Are you a kind of Turgun, um, an Ogre? They always hide their faces under hoods and scarves, too. Is your face tortured like theirs that it needs to be hidden?

I am very sorry that I don't have enough teeth or a long enough tongue to pronounce your name properly, but I will try! What does it signify? What is your apprenticeship? For a while now, I am apprenticed as a dendrothaumaturge -- I am learning the dwimmery that will allow me to grow living structures. I am already a master silversmith and woodsmith; and long ago I was, well, I guess warrior will suffice! Now I shall work in living wood and green growing leaves!
Egerius wrote:Argenzu watches the scene and looks out of the window; the lonely phone booth has closed its doors.

The rodent stares at the monitor of his 90s-style laptop.
The keyboard is clicking as he enters his lines, the screen taints his face with a blue-ish light.

"So many names and species",he thinks.
His ears wander back and forth as he hears the different voices. His attention for the laptop is interrupted as he hears the word 'dragon'.
Ah, here you are! And you have your magic box with the game tiles!
"Dragons!", he responds slowly, turning around to the feline clothed in rags.
Dragons are, at least where I come from, no more than mythical animals, giant lizards with enormous wings.
The closest things to dragons we had lived a long time ago at the foot of the Monte Palato, or "Mount Palatu". These animals are long extinct, but their vestiges still can be seen: It's the birds. By the way, I haven't heared your name. I'm Argenzu. Argenzu Montèis from Grezognja.

He stretches out his right hand, with an unsure smile on his face, hoping that the Lion-Man wouldn't chop it off.

Here in Gea, they live in the mountains. They don't often come down from the high country, but when they do, you'd better take cover! Did your dragons turn into birds? I can see how they might be akin, after all, they both have fangs and talons and bright feathers! But dragons seem to be scalier and have four legs.

Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo »

elemtilas wrote:Why do you hide your sad eyes? Like mine, they've seen too much -- I can tell that by looking.
Looking a stranger directly in the eye, where I come from, is a sign of aggression. The eyes partially hidden is a sign that you aren't looking for a fight.
Why do you wear your scarf over your face? Tis not winter anymore! Tis the first of Fogstide, and the New Year revelries are winding down and the Sun is returned from her holidays away in the Southlands! But perhaps it is cold where you are come from...
Average temperatures in the Everwhite range between -35C in winter up to a nice, balmy 5C in summer. But wind chill is is significant; In summer frostbite can set in within 30 minutes of exposure, and in winter that time can be as short as 5 minutes. You don't go around unprotected, and that's that!
Are you a kind of Turgun, um, an Ogre? They always hide their faces under hoods and scarves, too. Is your face tortured like theirs that it needs to be hidden?
Perhaps.
I am very sorry that I don't have enough teeth or a long enough tongue to pronounce your name properly, but I will try! What does it signify?
"Xhw'sh Hask'ihthtex" is my clan name, and "P'xwth" is my personal name. All clans are either "Xhw'sh" <shadow> or "Thkw'" <breath> clans. The name "Hask'ihthtex" means "Where all of us were betrayed."

"P'xwth" is an old name, but it once meant "She awakens at midnight."
What is your apprenticeship?
I am a Xhwish'aan. My job is to remember what others have long forgotten.
My pronouns are <xe> [ziː] / <xym> [zɪm] / <xys> [zɪz]

My shitty twitter
Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius »

elemtilas wrote:Ah, here you are! And you have your magic box with the game tiles!
This is a state-of-art Amizána Maçón ForteLivro G4, just nine months on the market.
I remember you saying "Why do you put chips in your self-actuating laundry device?" - I should add that silicon, made out of sand, is nothing to be eaten.
Micamo wrote:"P'xwth" is an old name, but it once meant "She awakens at midnight."
I am a Xhwish'aan. My job is to remember what others have long forgotten.
If my translation device in that red box over yonder (points at the British phone booth) works correctly, your personal name would be Notturna, id est, nightly.
You're a chronicler, so to say?
Hmmm... (mumbles:) I don't think she lives in an electrified age. Medieval, perhaps. A mechanical typewriter could help her...

Can you write and read?
Last edited by Egerius on 02 Apr 2015 17:33, edited 1 time in total.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

gestaltist wrote:Can you tell me, though, what a „dog" is? Is it something like our rak?
Our dogs we call harku, and they're rather a bit bigger than all but the biggest hunting or war hounds of Men. I had my cousin make a picture of me with our Firedog. I am sixteen palms, or five and a third spans high, which I am told is about five feet, so you can get an idea of how big he is!
Spoiler:
Firedog loves to fetch just about anything you can throw, and though he's quite the great lapdog, for some odd reason, most folks seem to be terrorised by the look of him when we're out walking around town!