Challenge for conlangs with gender

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
All4Ɇn
mayan
mayan

Challenge for conlangs with gender

Post by All4Ɇn »

After looking on Wikipedia's article for gender and seeing their maps on Polish and French's use of gender for countries I thought it'd be interesting to see everyone's different gender distinctions and how they play out for each country. Here's Îçlo's
http://i.imgur.com/KKbTdxX.png

Simple masculine-feminine distinction. Feminine in blue, masculine in red.

Template here: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... ct.svg.png
Last edited by All4Ɇn on 07 Jun 2015 02:59, edited 1 time in total.
masako
mayan
mayan

Re: Challenge for conlangs with gender

Post by masako »

For the love of lemons and other citrus fruits, please use this; http://i.imgur.com/KKbTdxX.png or just link to the map instead of bend the universe with that massive monstrosity.

That is all.
g

o

n

e
All4Ɇn
mayan
mayan

Post by All4Ɇn »

masako wrote:For the love of lemons and other citrus fruits, please use this; http://i.imgur.com/KKbTdxX.png or just link to the map instead of bend the universe with that massive monstrosity.

That is all.
I didn't anticipate it being that big..
masako
mayan
mayan

Post by masako »

All4Ɇn wrote:I didn't anticipate it being that big..
g

o

n

e
All4Ɇn
mayan
mayan

Post by All4Ɇn »

Hey I'm not the one who called it a massive monstrosity now [;)]
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

All4Ɇn wrote:After looking on Wikipedia's article for gender and seeing their maps on Polish and French's use of gender for countries I thought it'd be interesting to see everyone's different gender distinctions and how they play out for each country. Here's Îçlo's
http://i.imgur.com/KKbTdxX.png

Simple masculine-feminine distinction. Feminine in blue, masculine in red.

Template here: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... ct.svg.png
This is mine
Don't read this until after looking at the map!
Despite having gender, in a pluralized group that contains both female and male members, neutral is used. Always. As soon as one girl or boy enters the fray, bam! neutral.
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

My conlang is boring: all the countries are in neutral gender.
Image Śād Warḫallun (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
Avjunza
sinic
sinic

Post by Avjunza »

I have Animate and Neuter/Inanimate genders; nations, being groups/organizations of people, are all Animate.
Nortaneous
greek
greek

Post by Nortaneous »

Kannow has a boring mostly-semantic noun class system: http://i.imgur.com/5T6MtiG.png

...except I forgot that the noun class for islands is the same as the noun class for legal constructs, so everything in green should be red. Except Iceland, which should probably be blue.

Red and green are noun class 4. Blue is noun class 5.
Squall
greek
greek

Post by Squall »

How to choose a color when United States and United Kingdom are masculine, but America and Great Britain are feminine? That happens in some real-world languages.
English is not my native language. Sorry for any mistakes or lack of knowledge when I discuss this language.
:bra: :mrgreen: | :uk: [:D] | :esp: [:)] | :epo: [:|] | :lat: [:S] | :jpn: [:'(]
clawgrip
MVP
MVP

Post by clawgrip »

The only languages I have with gender aren't set in our world. One of them has three genders, but none of them are masculine or feminine. I also suspect that the majority of countries would fit in the same gender. The only conlang I have that is set in the real world has no gender.
All4Ɇn
mayan
mayan

Post by All4Ɇn »

Squall wrote:How to choose a color when United States and United Kingdom are masculine, but America and Great Britain are feminine? That happens in some real-world languages.
I didn't think of that. That happens with my language too actually. America also refers to the continent so the U.S. seems like the obvious choice. I guess you could choose either with Britain. I went with the U.K.
Xing
MVP
MVP

Post by Xing »

All4Ɇn wrote:I didn't think of that. That happens with my language too actually. America also refers to the continent so the U.S. seems like the obvious choice. I guess you could choose either with Britain. I went with the U.K.
In the British case, isn't 'Great Britain' technically a part of the UK? If it's the gender of the country one is asking form it's 'UK' that's relevant.

But anyway, it's not unattested a country has two commonly used names in a given language, so the original question isn't stupid at all [:)]
Squall
greek
greek

Post by Squall »

The full name is United Kingdom of Great Britain. There were countries in the past whose full name was "United Kingdom of Something".

The full name of Mexico is United States of Mexico, but only America is called United States.
Xing wrote:But anyway, it's not unattested a country has two commonly used names in a given language, so the original question isn't stupid at all [:)]
Netherlands has two names in Portuguese. The first is Holanda, which is commonly used in the spoken language, and Países Baixos, which is shown in maps. The gender of both terms is different too.

My only conlangs that have random genders are romlangs, so I do not have anything interesting to present.
Other conlangs have "consistent" gender system, so this will be the result.
English is not my native language. Sorry for any mistakes or lack of knowledge when I discuss this language.
:bra: :mrgreen: | :uk: [:D] | :esp: [:)] | :epo: [:|] | :lat: [:S] | :jpn: [:'(]
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

What if there was a language that marked enemy countries as one gender, and allied countries as another?
Or marked the native countries as one gender and foreign countries as another?
All4Ɇn
mayan
mayan

Post by All4Ɇn »

Xing wrote:But anyway, it's not unattested a country has two commonly used names in a given language, so the original question isn't stupid at all [:)]
It's not uncommon for maps to have overlays so I guess use multiple colors on one country to represent it. I think native names should take priority over less used official names (republic of etc.) though
Xing
MVP
MVP

Post by Xing »

Squall wrote:The full name is United Kingdom of Great Britain. There were countries in the past whose full name was "United Kingdom of Something".

The full name of Mexico is United States of Mexico, but only America is called United States.
It's not uncommon for countries to have 'long' and 'short' official names – with the long one being something like 'the kingdom of [country]', 'the republic of [country]', 'the democratic peoples' republic of [country]', 'the [country]-ian federation', etc. Though it's the short official forms that are typically used in writing.
Ahzoh wrote:What if there was a language that marked enemy countries as one gender, and allied countries as another?
Highly unlikely, since relations and alliances between countries are likely to change constantly.
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

Squall wrote:The full name is United Kingdom of Great Britain.
In fact, it's "United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland".
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

Xing wrote:
Ahzoh wrote:What if there was a language that marked enemy countries as one gender, and allied countries as another?
Highly unlikely, since relations and alliances between countries are likely to change constantly.
That's the point.
masako
mayan
mayan

Post by masako »

Ahzoh wrote:
Xing wrote:
That's the point.
Linguistically, that's a ridiculous point. Genders are not that dynamic.
g

o

n

e