Lexember 2015

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
elemtilas
runic
runic

Re: Lexember 2015

Post by elemtilas »

Never done Lexember before, so will gie it a go this year. All entries will be for Queranarran.

1.LEX.2015

curuwestein: in gen., to begin some natural process (flowers budding, seedlings sprouting); to begin a story In the Accustomed Manner; of persons, to begin some noble endeavour; of queens, to begin their reign

lestaroam : elesasipara a-curullemiluw versen-nimanya rinccas : apasesingara mandorrom-mulmaliyel ronu-derrí salambas : ray-ray, na-tqanam and-yiriellem curuwestam.

EVID : from-there-to-here-towards-from-outside-to-inside LOC-queenly.house RECENT.PAST-girl-ERG arrive-PERF : from.above.to.below.towards.and.upon oaken.log-NAME RECENT.PRESENT-she sit-PERF : surely INSTR-REL-PRON.thus PRES-queen-ABS begin.to.reign-IMPF

I know because I saw it! The girl arrived at the Queen's House from outside away; then she sat down upon the Oaken Stool; surely in this way the Queen begins her reign!

Note: in the Westmarche, a Daine queendom, there is no fancy throne, no crown or jewels. Once a Great Queen is elected, acclaimed and passes the Test of the Mace, she enters the Queen's House and, in the main hall, sits down upon a very simple oaken stool. Once seated, she is now considered Queen of the realm and will now assume the traditional posture (sitting up straight, ankles crossed (left before right), hands on knees, wings spread elegantly behind her) and get on with the queening already.

2.LEX.2015

mwalal'araqasain: a verb meaning to play the "fast-word game"; or to sing or recite the syllabary / alphabet.

eseilesa tugano nicoris pwemara! ayyá! na-tqanam cwestecwestenil yan-salem mwalal'araqasang!

towards.here-to-there DEM.them-on-our-right boy-LOC-PL listen-IMPER! hark! INSTR-REL-that.way quick-quick-ADV PRES-they-M-EXCL play.the.fast.word.game-CONTIN

Listen to those boys over there, will you! Huy! How very quickly they're rattling off the fast word game!

The quick word game is popular among Daine children and involves coming up with and saying words that begin with each kind of syllable in their natural order. Usually two play, and they try to go as fast as they can.

The word itself is composed of a nonsense word with something of a complicated history "mwalal'araqa", which contains syllables of the five basic lingual points of articulation as spoken by a kind of Daine that have a rather long jaw and thus a couple extra POAs; but the word was borrowed (and somewhat mangled) by ordinary Daine who lack a couple of those POAs. In addition, there is the word gasain, which means simply to play.
Sights
sinic
sinic

Post by Sights »

Cool. I've been wanting to get involved in Lexember for some time now. [:)]

Day 1

iemba [ʼjemba], 1. transitive verb - to mock someone or something; 2. noun - a mocking remark.

Ħeħá iémbaue hau?
Ħeħá iémba=ue hau
Q mock=2sg 1sg
'Are you mocking me?'

With a detransitivizing prefix it becomes tihiemba [tiʼçjemba], which I would guess means something roughly akin to playing the fool or behaving like an idiot on purpose, but without trying to annoy anyone in particular.

Day 2

surhui [ʼsuɾʍɪ] 1. intransitive verb - to appease or comfort someone, particularly through words; to lull someone (particularly a baby or a child). 2. noun - appeasement, solace, (metaphorically) an act or statement of compassion or empathy.

The nominal form of the word, more commonly used than its verbal counterpart, would be nearest equivalent of how English speakers use "I'm sorry" when they aren't apologizing for something they've done to the listener.
MrKrov
banned

Post by MrKrov »

Lexember '15 Entry 2:
tââ-sə̀ n. watch
Literally "hand-time".
felipesnark
sinic
sinic

Post by felipesnark »

Day 1
ishdax, ishdaxa /iʃdax/, /iʃdaxa/ inter.; particle "yes indeed" [emphatic] from ish- intensive prefix + dax "yes".

Day 2
ruminu /ruminu/ v. "to shine (brightly), to be bright" from rumi, "bright"
Visit my website for my blogs and information on my conlangs: http://grwilliams.net/ It's a work in progress!
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

Day 2, Arrdhilan:
Dhoshalat:
A Gradhphanist unit of time, meaning "period in which one of the thrice-daily prayers can be prayed". Also used in secular circles to mean "One half of the daytime hours; 6 hours"
From "Dhosh" "Set period for preforming a task" and "Salat" "prayer" which itself is from Arabic "ṣalāt".
Many children make up, or begin to make up, imaginary languages. I have been at it since I could write.
-JRR Tolkien
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

Akuriga Day 3
Topic 3 : Colors (may be slightly vaguer)
tolasyara - "sea blue"
tiwutyara - "soft in color"
detira - bright
sorabanyara - the color of the sun
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
zyma
korean
korean

Post by zyma »

Day 2

Jade: säınesç /sa̤˥nesʕ̞ʷ˧/ (n.) tall wetland grass, reed, papyrus, pulp, plant fiber, paper

Steppe: tavo /ˈtɑwɔ/ (adj.) fast, quick, speedy, swift

Ypsilon: suttrar /ˈsutːɻaɻ/ (n.) drinking water, salt water, fresh water

Žôıbvęı qëḷçâıṃ yet sotɔ̈ın säınesç.
žôıbvęı qëḷçâıṃ yet sotɔ̈ın säınesç
grow along river TOP.OBL papyrus
Along the river, papyrus is growing.

Eŋo ŋelmutpoleŋselsepejejuna tavo.
eŋ-o ŋel-mut-po-leŋsel-se-pe-ejuna tavo
person-NOM AGG-DUB-NEG-boar-3s.NOM-PST-find fast
It's seriously doubtful that that guy didn't find the swift boar.

Suttrał šragzions ǧezozk uh.
suttr-ał šragz-ions ǧez-ozk=uh
water-INTR navigate-IND ocean-LOC=FUT
The water will flow into the sea.
The user formerly known as "shimobaatar".
(she)
Avjunza
sinic
sinic

Post by Avjunza »

2nd of Lexember, Onure: sungma, ['suŋ.ma] (transitive verb) "to choose, to select"
PeteBleackley
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by PeteBleackley »

3rd Khangaþyagon word
iyauh: howl
iyauhon: howling
Lao Kou
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Lao Kou »

Géarthnuns:

3rd - völíksír'hauts [ˌvøliksiɾˈhɔts] n. photosynthesis

Chauk mnísteraubursaud néí chöi völíksír'hauts la chak ainsash bvesíra'u jebron mnaizekh.
DEF.PL apple.tree-POST.PL as.for DEF photosynthesis-NOM AUX.PRES DEF.PL leaf-LOC.PL sole-ADV almost-AdADV occur
In apple trees photosynthesis occurs almost exclusively in the leaves.
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
Ranquil
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by Ranquil »

Because I didn't remember to post here earlier, I'm going to post for today and the last two days now.

1st Sumu word:
päivu: sun, day
This word essentially comes from the Finnish word päivä, day. However, it originally comes from the Sami word beaivi/beaivvos, sun. Originally the word in Sumu was hi, taken straight from Japanese.

2nd Sumu word:
mo: what
This word is pretty much taken straight from the Mari word mo, what. It fits perfectly to the syllable system of Sumu all on its own, so no modifications are needed.

3rd Sumu word:
: who
Same as with mo but taken from , who, instead.
druneragarsh
sinic
sinic

Post by druneragarsh »

Day 3:

Proto-Šile kaše adj plentiful
-> Eyþï xæše adj rich (esp in food)
qyc-rac e-þï þoša-ša-ču ey-vï-rac xæše-vï
sister-INDEF.SG I-GEN marry-IPF-3 man-ACC-INDEF.SG rich-ACC
My sister married a rich man.

-> Žilèði gáža adj beautiful
gáru-ta dó-wò mɯ́ra-ná gážɤ-ná
be-1s I-INTRANS mountain-ABL beautiful-ABL
I'm from the beautiful mountains
Declension:
Spoiler:
ERG gáža
ACC gážabɯ̀
INTR gážawò
ABL gážɤná
LOC gážaxo
LAT gážató
VIA gážaçù
BEN gážažɤ
GEN gážaþɯ
DAT gážɤŋá
-> Ḳixaḷi ḳase n excess, plenty
ţeru ḳase-vi ṗu-ta ḳaru-i?
happiness excess-ACC no-QUERY be-COMB
Is there never too much happiness?

Derived words
kašeŋa n rich foraging ground, paradise
kašero n the mythic staff that blesses all ground it passes over
kašeli n the home of the divinities
kašeþô n banquet, feast

Eyþï:
xæšẽæ n field
xæšero n the mythic staff that blesses all ground it passes over, creating rich farmland
xæšelï n temple in which the divinities are worshipped
xæšeþu n dinner

Žilèði:
gážɤŋá n river delta
gážaro n the mythic staff that blesses all ground it passes over
gážalɯ̀ n utopia: a perfect place forever unaccessible
gážaþo n celebration, party, festival

Ḳixaḷi:
ḳaseŋa
n a rich fishery
ḳasero n the mythic staff that blesses all ground it passes over; fishing rod
ḳaselli n a mythic land of plenty beyond the seas
ḳaseto n harvest, feast
ḳasemu adj excess, plenty
drúne, rá gárš
drun-VOC I.ERG read

List of conlangs with links!
Refer to me with any sex-neutral (or feminine) 3s pronoun, either from English (no singular they please, zie etc are okay) or from one of your conlangs!
CWS
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

3.LEX.2015

saranaya: feeling of oppression lifted on a sunny day after a spell of cold & dreary rain & drizzle

cruacanyu : dampasyama saranayes andwecuruwestesharrow banneches!

EVID-deeply felt : DAT-ADPOS.from.above.to.below-1PL.us-INCL lifting.spirits-ACC PRES-ERG-rising.sun put-IMPF

(I feel in my heart : from above to below, to us all the happiness of cold rain's oppression lifted the now rising sun put!)

It's so true, the rising Sun lifts our spirits after a long spell of cold rain!

NOTE: Saranay is a girl's name one meets with from time to time. I'm now happy to know what the name means!

Previous entries:
Spoiler:
1.LEX.2015

curuwestein: in gen., to begin some natural process (flowers budding, seedlings sprouting); to begin a story In the Accustomed Manner; of persons, to begin some noble endeavour; of queens, to begin their reign

lestaroam : elesasipara a-curullemiluw versen-nimanya rinccas : apasesingara mandorrom-mulmaliyel ronu-derrí salambas : ray-ray, na-tqanam and-yiriellem curuwestam.

EVID : from-there-to-here-towards-from-outside-to-inside LOC-queenly.house RECENT.PAST-girl-ERG arrive-PERF : from.above.to.below.towards.and.upon oaken.log-NAME RECENT.PRESENT-she sit-PERF : surely INSTR-REL-PRON.thus PRES-queen-ABS begin.to.reign-IMPF

I know because I saw it! The girl arrived at the Queen's House from outside away; then she sat down upon the Oaken Stool; surely in this way the Queen begins her reign!

Note: in the Westmarche, a Daine queendom, there is no fancy throne, no crown or jewels. Once a Great Queen is elected, acclaimed and passes the Test of the Mace, she enters the Queen's House and, in the main hall, sits down upon a very simple oaken stool. Once seated, she is now considered Queen of the realm and will now assume the traditional posture (sitting up straight, ankles crossed (left before right), hands on knees, wings spread elegantly behind her) and get on with the queening already.

2.LEX.2015

mwalal'araqasain: a verb meaning to play the "fast-word game"; or to sing or recite the syllabary / alphabet.

eseilesa tugano nicoris pwemara! ayyá! na-tqanam cwestecwestenil yan-salem mwalal'araqasang!

towards.here-to-there DEM.them-on-our-right boy-LOC-PL listen-IMPER! hark! INSTR-REL-that.way quick-quick-ADV PRES-they-M-EXCL play.the.fast.word.game-CONTIN

Listen to those boys over there, will you! Huy! How very quickly they're rattling off the fast word game!

The quick word game is popular among Daine children and involves coming up with and saying words that begin with each kind of syllable in their natural order. Usually two play, and they try to go as fast as they can.

The word itself is composed of a nonsense word with something of a complicated history "mwalal'araqa", which contains syllables of the five basic lingual points of articulation as spoken by a kind of Daine that have a rather long jaw and thus a couple extra POAs; but the word was borrowed (and somewhat mangled) by ordinary Daine who lack a couple of those POAs. In addition, there is the word gasain, which means simply to play.
alynnidalar
greek
greek

Post by alynnidalar »

Got a trio for Tirina today:
sonıs [ˈso.nɪs] n pet, family pet
kesonıs [ke.ˈso.nɪs] v to care for a pet, especially a family cat
kesonısda [ke.ˈson.ɪs.ˌd̪a] n "crazy cat lady", someone obsessed with cats; by extension, anyone obsessed with a single topic to the exclusion of all others.

Cats are a popular pet in Sanmra, and if you ever visit one of the big family houses, there'll almost certainly be a half-dozen or so to greet you (and/or to ignore you pointedly). Caring for these cats is a shared responsibility by family members (usually assigned to the young ones, because what's the point of being old if you can't make your younger relatives do things for you), but someone who is obsessed with the family cats and takes on more and more responsibilities for them is a kesonısda. By extension, anyone obsessed with any particular topic or activity is a kesonısda. (cf English -aboo with a similar meaning, e.g. Wehraboo (someone obsessed with WWII-era Germany), tea-aboo (someone obsessed with British culture), and of course weaboo (a non-Japanese person obsessed with Japanese culture); or Japanese/English otaku 'geek, nerd')

Word is derived from Old Tirina shonis 'tame/domesticated animal'.

Saya muran kesonısda ni yapan.
Saya INT crazy.cat.lady of Japan
Saya is such a weaboo.
Corphishy
greek
greek

Post by Corphishy »

Since I accidentally fell asleep before posting for day 2, I think an appropriate word to create would be marad [maˈɾat̚] (mar [mɚ]) v. to sleep

Day 3

ŕeas [ˈɹ̥eas] n. puzzle, especially burr puzzles. ŕösad [ˈɹ̥øsat̚] (ŕösa [ˈɹ̥øsa]) v. to tie into a knot, has a folk etymology of ŕe+usa (verb affix), however they are unrelated.
Aszev wrote:A good conlang doesn't come from pursuing uniqueness. Uniqueness is usually an effect from creating a good conlang.
Project Garnet
(used to be Bulbichu22)
Sights
sinic
sinic

Post by Sights »

Day 3

taiha [ˈtai̯ɦa] intransitive verb - to be quick, to move quickly. In imperative mood, it means "hurry!".
MrKrov
banned

Post by MrKrov »

Lexember '15 Entry 3:
v. follow; mimic; imitate
Ooh, a word with plausible semantic extension.
zyma
korean
korean

Post by zyma »

Day 3

Jade: bɔ̈ıhêṇ /bɔ̤˥ʔḛŋ˧/ (n.) sword, knife, weaponized blade

Steppe: pena /ˈpɛnɑ/ (prep.) from inside of, heading outside of

Ypsilon: tšekxuq /ˈt͡ʃek͡xuʔ/ (n.) powder, ash

Ḷɔıġç yêvąı bɔ̈ıhêṇ ṿaır sôn aımǫ.
ḷɔıġç yêvąı bɔ̈ıhêṇ ṿaır sôn aımǫ
hit NEG sword 1 TOP yak
My sword did not hit the yak.

Iko pena vim mijŋisepetevsalji mon kan ŋelamilitanasetamanpa kopa vima ŋelsujatevvetek!
ik-o pena vim mijŋi-se-pe-tev-salji mon kan ŋel-amili-tana-se-ta-manpa kopa vima ŋel-suj-a-tev-vetek
thing-NOM ABL 3s.OBL night-3s.NOM-PST-REL-come CAUS.PAT 1s.OBL AGG-village-CAUS-3s.NOM-FUT-burn LOC 3s.OBL AGG-3s.ABS-1s.NOM-REL-reside
That thing that came out of the night is seriously going to make me burn down the village that I live in!

Zšēnən hēsteuŋ gied alokattei tšekxaạg qeffūn, staǧód ouxṇdðəxə̄ gied šragzattei zšēnəłs.
zšēn-ən hēst-euŋ gied=alok-attei tšekx-aạg qeff-ūn staǧód ouxṇdð-əx-ə̄ gied=šragz-attei zšēn-əłs
1s.LAY-NOM bone-ACC PST=build-SJV powder-PREP hammer-INS if storm_cloud-INTR-PL PST=navigate-SJV 1s.LAY-ABL
With a hammer, I would have turned the bone into powder if the storm clouds had gone away from me.
The user formerly known as "shimobaatar".
(she)
Lao Kou
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Lao Kou »

Géarthnuns:

4th - rhtauths [Xtɔθs] n. paintbrush

Péreníks löin sek rhtauthsech chöi chívakötsöiv sau gvewörsauv sö hobsön ulvan.
Bernice-NOM AUX.PASTPRF.CAUS INDEF.PL paintbrush-ACC.PL DEF windowsill-LOC INDEF thinner-LOC INDEF jar-INSTR be.unattended
Bernice had left some brushes sitting in a jar of thinner on the windowsill.
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
druneragarsh
sinic
sinic

Post by druneragarsh »

Day 4

Mira huiska n whisper
Huiska-ŋ še-m puša-ka
whisper-INSTR that.DIST-ACC say-IPR.2s

Say it with a whisper.

huiskati v to whisper
huiskate v to silence
drúne, rá gárš
drun-VOC I.ERG read

List of conlangs with links!
Refer to me with any sex-neutral (or feminine) 3s pronoun, either from English (no singular they please, zie etc are okay) or from one of your conlangs!
CWS