Non-Naturalistic Artlangs

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
HoskhMatriarch
roman
roman

Non-Naturalistic Artlangs

Post by HoskhMatriarch »

By non-naturalistic artlangs, I mean ones that are not even supposed to be naturalistic, not ones that are supposed to be but fail. Do you know of any interesting ones or is it frowned upon to intentionally make a non-naturalistic artlang? I'm sort of working on one where all inflectional information (so far) is encoded in relative musical intervals but besides that it's a spoken language rather than being a fully musical language like Solresol. I figure if people can learn languages where you use your hands or whistle they could learn a language with musical intervals since it's grammatically a natlang. I might make it spoken by some mythical race in my conworld if it turns out to work. I might also make some other not very naturalistic languages for other non-human races, like the one I call "Language of the Goat-Horned Folk" that has phonemic falsetto (the goal is that there are a bunch of satyr-like creatures that basically communicate by yodelling), but all the normal humans will have naturalistic ones. That'll probably turn a lot of people off from my conworld.
Last edited by HoskhMatriarch on 29 Jan 2016 20:58, edited 1 time in total.
No darkness can harm you if you are guided by your own inner light
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Re: Non-Naturalistic Artlangs

Post by Creyeditor »

Two of the three links in my signature link to non-naturalistic artlangs [:)]
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
HoskhMatriarch
roman
roman

Post by HoskhMatriarch »

Which ones?
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

Ook and Omlueuet [;)]
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

Does it have to be serious?
If not, someone made the language known as Shit Demon Speak.
Image Śād Warḫallun (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
Keenir
mayan
mayan

Post by Keenir »

HoskhMatriarch wrote:By non-naturalistic artlangs, I mean ones that are not even supposed to be naturalistic, not ones that are supposed to be but fail. Do you know of any interesting ones or is it frowned upon to intentionally make a non-naturalistic artlang?
you seem to be under the impression that there is a governing body telling everyone what they can and can't conlang - there isn't. if you want to make a non-naturalistic conlang, make one. you don't need permission - just try your hand at it.

I'm sort of working on one where all inflectional information (so far) is encoded in relative musical intervals but besides that it's a spoken language rather than being a fully musical language like Solresol. I figure if people can learn languages where you use your hands or whistle they could learn a language with musical intervals since it's grammatically a natlang. I might make it spoken by some mythical race in my conworld if it turns out to work. I might also make some other not very naturalistic languages for other non-human races, like the one I call "Language of the Goat-Horned Folk" that has phonemic falsetto (the goal is that there are a bunch of satyr-like creatures that basically communicate by yodelling), but all the normal humans will have naturalistic ones. That'll probably turn a lot of people off from my conworld.
and why is that? because you have yodeling?
At work on Apaan: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4799
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

Well, between the mermaids and the yodeling satyrs I'm sure no one will like her conworld. [/sarcasm]

LOL
HoskhMatriarch
roman
roman

Post by HoskhMatriarch »

Thrice Xandvii wrote:Well, between the mermaids and the yodeling satyrs I'm sure no one will like her conworld. [/sarcasm]

LOL
Well, my conworld is completely bizarre, and I don't see where the sarcasm is in that statement. Most of the stories I have so far are also pretty dark and have someone or more getting killed off horribly, which most people don't really like, but I guess Game of Thrones kills everyone off so maybe people wouldn't hate that so much.

I need to make one of the Abyss languages now. I imagine there would be an infinite number of languages there though, since it's the Abyss and it's basically infinitely large. However, it would be a good excuse to make a language with phonemic growling (which actually is used by some Earth languages, unlike falsetto).
Keenir
mayan
mayan

Post by Keenir »

HoskhMatriarch wrote:Well, my conworld is completely bizarre,
satyrs aren't weird. mermaids aren't weird.

heck, I'd be more likely to read about them than about humans.
Most of the stories I have so far are also pretty dark and have someone or more getting killed off horribly, which most people don't really like,
have you actually read any of the traditional stories documented by the Grimm brothers?
HoskhMatriarch
roman
roman

Post by HoskhMatriarch »

Keenir wrote:
have you actually read any of the traditional stories documented by the Grimm brothers?
I've read a lot of those. I've also read folktales and fairy tales from all over the world. That's where I get a lot of my ideas for my conworld. But most people don't like stories like that even if I do.
Keenir
mayan
mayan

Post by Keenir »

HoskhMatriarch wrote:
Keenir wrote: have you actually read any of the traditional stories documented by the Grimm brothers?
I've read a lot of those. I've also read folktales and fairy tales from all over the world. That's where I get a lot of my ideas for my conworld. But most people don't like stories like that even if I do.
actually, I'm pretty sure that with oral stories like Beowulf, Cinderella, and The Iliad, nobody bothers to pass down the unpopular stories...
[*] a girl is tormented by adoptive relatives, until she marries royalty, and her bird friends either kill or blind said adoptive relatives.
[*] a descendant of cursed Cain goes on a killing spree, and is himself torn apart and killed.
[*] a ten-year-long war finally ends, and one of its soldiers keeps getting shipwrecked on bizarre islands that eat his crew.
those were popular even without Disney mutilating them.
HoskhMatriarch
roman
roman

Post by HoskhMatriarch »

I don't think Disney made adaptations of Beowulf or the Iliad...
clawgrip
MVP
MVP

Post by clawgrip »

Most of the stories I have so far are also pretty dark and have someone or more getting killed off horribly, which most people don't really like,
Sure they do

Poncho: Major, you'd better take a look at this.
Dutch: Did you find Hawkins?
Poncho: I... I can't tell.

Please someone know this quote.
Keenir
mayan
mayan

Post by Keenir »

clawgrip wrote:
Sire they do

Poncho: Major, you'd better take a look at this.
Dutch: Did you find Hawkins?
Poncho: I... I can't tell.

Please someone know this quote.
"If it can bleed, we can kill it."
(while not false, it severely underestimates their opponent)
cntrational
greek
greek

Post by cntrational »

HoskhMatriarch wrote:Well, my conworld is completely bizarre, and I don't see where the sarcasm is in that statement. Most of the stories I have so far are also pretty dark and have someone or more getting killed off horribly, which most people don't really like
http://onastick.net/sitz/images/
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

HoskhMatriarch wrote:Well, my conworld is completely bizarre, and I don't see where the sarcasm is in that statement.
You... you don't see where the sarcasm is in that statement? The entire bleeping statement is sarcastic!! I mean, that's what the tag was for after all, and there only WAS the one statement.

Is your opinion of your own work so low that you can't see how anyone else could find value or enjoyment in it? People love fairy tales. Personally, I really like satyrs... I just haven't seen them in a story since I read "Through the Ice" long and long ago (and, it wasn't even a satyr, it was a faun if I can recall the details correctly, but they are similar beasties).

First and foremost, if you don't enjoy your stories/worlds, how can you expect anyone else to? Enthusiasm for your work, especially when it is creative work, really has a way to get transferred through so that the consumer/viewer/reader (whatever) can feel your passion.

Love your world and write about it well, and undoubtedly, some of us will love it too. (Maybe not everyone, but someone sure as hell will. I mean, there's a niche for people who like to read about alternate reality zombie versions of classical literature, that's pretty niche and yet there's a market and an audience for that.)
cromulant
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by cromulant »

When you say people don't like violence and horrible deaths, it makes me wonder if by "people" we are referring to the same species. I understand the term to refer to humans, i.e. homo sapiens: the violent, bloodlusted naked ape.
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

cromulant wrote:When you say people don't like violence and horrible deaths, it makes me wonder if by "people" we are referring to the same species. I understand the term to refer to humans, i.e. homo sapiens: the violent, bloodlusted naked ape.
That's hilarious. Humans are one of the nicer species of greater ape.
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
clawgrip
MVP
MVP

Post by clawgrip »

qwed117 wrote:That's hilarious. Humans are one of the nicer species of greater ape.
One side of us is benevolent and altruistic, yes. Another side of us is fond of torture, mass murder, and genocide. I don't think there are many gibbon genocides. Humans are the perhaps the most extreme of the great apes in both good and bad ways.
Isoraqathedh
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Isoraqathedh »

People really do like dark and grim stuff, to the point where there's a whole class of stories that's named with those two words jammed together (though not necessarily in that order). Stories that re not even a little bit tragic tend to be, but not inevitably, relegated to children status.
Conlangs: EP (EV EB) Yk HI Ag Cd GE Rs, Ct, EQ, SX Sk Ya (OF), Ub, AKF MGY, (RDWA BCMS)
Natural languages: zh-hk, zh-cn, en