What did you accomplish today? [2011–2019]

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Egerius
mayan
mayan

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by Egerius »

I re-recorded the audio for the introduction to my video series, because the 500 edits in the previous version slowly became noticeable in the recording.
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

Lonmai Luna has 4,000 entities in CWS now, the 4,000th entity is helekodera "twilight"
I prefer to not be referred to with masculine pronouns and nouns such as “he/him/his”.
Ebon
sinic
sinic

Post by Ebon »

I started working on a second language for my conworld for real today. It still needs a proper in-language term, but it's very aesthetically pleasing so far. [:)]
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

Ebon wrote:I started working on a second language for my conworld for real today. It still needs a proper in-language term, but it's very aesthetically pleasing so far. [:)]
so nice (: what kinds of words do you need? (:
I prefer to not be referred to with masculine pronouns and nouns such as “he/him/his”.
Ebon
sinic
sinic

Post by Ebon »

k1234567890y wrote:
Ebon wrote:I started working on a second language for my conworld for real today. It still needs a proper in-language term, but it's very aesthetically pleasing so far. [:)]
so nice (: what kinds of words do you need? (:
All of them. I have about a dozen sample words right now.
mira
greek
greek

Post by mira »

I have a list of roots and affixes planned for my orderlang, and I'm working on giving them their own little bit of word. I have 170 roots, taken from a swadesh list of 200, the unneeded ones I removed. I moved some into my affixes list and added a bunch more to give me 38 affixes to chose from. I'd be overjoyed if I can make 500 words from this. 1000 is my main goal, but if I can reach 2000 then I'd be extremely happy. But of course I can add more as time goes on.
website | music | she/her | :gbr: native :deu: beginner
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

If you are looking for suggestions, you may want to use the Derivizer.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
Xing
MVP
MVP

Post by Xing »

I've been working on a "traditional" numeral system for Waku. Basic numerals are represented by letters, usually written in small caps:

ı – 1
ᴏ – 2
ᴋ – 3
ᴀ – 4
ʏ – 5
ʏı – 6
ʏᴏ – 7
ʏᴋ - 8
ʏᴀ – 9

ᴛ – 10
ʟ – 100
w – 1000
x – 10000

A smaller numeral before a larger indicates multiplication; a smaller numeral after a larger indicates addition.

75 – ʏᴏᴛʏ
239 – ᴏʟᴋᴛʏᴀ
1948 – wʏᴀʟᴀᴛʏᴋ
33140 – ᴋxᴋwʟᴀᴛ
40085 – ᴀxʏᴋᴛʏ
99999 – ʏᴀxʏᴀwʏᴀʟʏᴀᴛʏᴀ

"I bought 1303 ducks." – Ko watti a mai wᴋʟᴋ kairi.
mira
greek
greek

Post by mira »

Xing wrote:I've been working on a "traditional" numeral system for Waku. Basic numerals are represented by letters, usually written in small caps:

ı – 1
ᴏ – 2
ᴋ – 3
ᴀ – 4
ʏ – 5
ʏı – 6
ʏᴏ – 7
ʏᴋ - 8
ʏᴀ – 9

ᴛ – 10
ʟ – 100
w – 1000
x – 10000

A smaller numeral before a larger indicates multiplication; a smaller numeral after a larger indicates addition.

75 – ʏᴏᴛʏ
239 – ᴏʟᴋᴛʏᴀ
1948 – wʏᴀʟᴀᴛʏᴋ
33140 – ᴋxᴋwʟᴀᴛ
40085 – ᴀxʏᴋᴛʏ
99999 – ʏᴀxʏᴀwʏᴀʟʏᴀᴛʏᴀ

"I bought 1303 ducks." – Ko watti a mai wᴋʟᴋ kairi.
I was going to say 52=7!!! but then I read the next line
felipesnark
sinic
sinic

Post by felipesnark »

I made a couple of changes to Shonkasika's phonology and orthography.

I decided that [x] and [h] would not be distinguished when they begin clusters with /w r l/ and would be spelled with a leading <h>:
[xw]/[hw] <hw> : hwalu paper
[xr]/
<hr> : hrega silver
[xl]/[hl] <hl> : hlade hour

Likewise, [hj], often realized as [ç], is <hy>: hyoma carrot

The combination [sx], now a permissible cluster, is spelled <sx>.

I added the vowel /ɪ/ <ï> to the vowel inventory, so now the system is thus:
/a æ e~ɛ ø i ɪ o~ɔ u y/ <a ä e ö i ï o u ü>
Visit my website for my blogs and information on my conlangs: http://grwilliams.net/ It's a work in progress!
J_from_Holland
sinic
sinic

Post by J_from_Holland »

Egerius wrote:I re-recorded the audio for the introduction to my video series, because the 500 edits in the previous version slowly became noticeable in the recording.
Is that video series on YouTube? What is your channel name?

---

Yesterday I made a second episode for Bløjhvåtterskyll in Tiny Bits.
Not sure whether this site supports embedding, but here is the video anyways: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7ZQzB8mhNs
A few years, I posted about Bløjhvåtterskyll. That's Barmish nowadays, and it's quite different from back then.
:nld: :mrgreen: | :eng: [:D] | :deu: [:D] | :fra: [:P] | :ell: [:$] | :nor: [:$]
Nachtuil
greek
greek

Post by Nachtuil »

I started the syntax section for my current language in earnest. I didn't plan on it, but due to how I set up the case markings for adjectives, I actually have a way to turn nouns into adjectives and a way to compare nouns "x is like y" with minimal morphology.
mira
greek
greek

Post by mira »

made more progress on my roots and affixes. I've assigned bits of word to my affixes, and now I just need to do the same for my roots. Then I can start work on my lexicon. I'm going to do it in the style of a bilingual dictionary, listing all my orderlang words along with IPA transcription, an English equivalent and definition, along with what roots and affixes it is derived from. Though I do feel that these roots will be fairly clear as my intended method for combining them is not complex. I'll demonstrate with 2 random and undefined roots and affixes: "tii", "gaþ", "þiʃ", and "niʒ".

"gaþ" is my first root, which I will modify with the affix "tii". This is simply atom-smashed to produce "tiigaþ". The affix for my second root is placed on the end, so "þiʃ" + "niʒ" is "þiʃniʒ". Where two vowels are the same in adjacent syllables, the second one has the first added after it. If this does not fit the phonotactics, an "i" is added instead. This makes our second half "þiʃniiʒ". Then we attach our two halves. The ends that will be connected are the same so one of them is omitted, making the final word: "tiigaþiʃniiʒ". This is a relatively long word in the language as all four optional components are used. The shortest words will be roots themselves at 3 letters.

Another thing to note when connecting roots is that, like the "þ" similarity in the example, where there are pairs that differ only in voicing, one is omitted and the remaining one takes the voicing at the start of the syllable. So "gaþ" + "ðiʃ" would become "gaðiʃ".
Ebon
sinic
sinic

Post by Ebon »

My newest not yet named conlang how has accusative, dative and genitive declinations, dual and plural forms and articles for animate nouns and present tense verb conjugations. Making progress!
Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius »

J_from_Holland wrote:
Egerius wrote:I re-recorded the audio for the introduction to my video series, because the 500 edits in the previous version slowly became noticeable in the recording.
Is that video series on YouTube? What is your channel name?
There's still nothing on my channel related to the series (Old English in Letter and Sound).
I'm still producing the introduction video.
Yesterday I made a second episode for Bløjhvåtterskyll in Tiny Bits.
Not sure whether this site supports embedding, but here is the video anyways: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7ZQzB8mhNs
Nice! By the way, it sounds as if you had a lisp. :wat:
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com
J_from_Holland
sinic
sinic

Post by J_from_Holland »

Egerius wrote: Nice! By the way, it sounds as if you had a lisp. :wat:
I'm sometimes a bit lispy, but my malicious microphone makes it sound way worse than it is in real life.
Does it sound as bad in other videos, or does it sound only bad in this one? When recording this video, I sat closer to my microphone than normally (trying to get the best sound quality possible with the mic of my old Mac). I'm of course used to my voice, so I don't really notice things like these.
A few years, I posted about Bløjhvåtterskyll. That's Barmish nowadays, and it's quite different from back then.
:nld: :mrgreen: | :eng: [:D] | :deu: [:D] | :fra: [:P] | :ell: [:$] | :nor: [:$]
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

J_from_Holland wrote:
I'm sometimes a bit lispy, but my malicious microphone makes it sound way worse than it is in real life.
Does it sound as bad in other videos, or does it sound only bad in this one? When recording this video, I sat closer to my microphone than normally (trying to get the best sound quality possible with the mic of my old Mac). I'm of course used to my voice, so I don't really notice things like these.
I noticed an English pronunciation error... conjugations should be kand͡ʒəgeɪ̯ʃənz, or something similar over kanjəgeɪ̯ʃənz
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
J_from_Holland
sinic
sinic

Post by J_from_Holland »

qwed117 wrote: I noticed an English pronunciation error... conjugations should be kand͡ʒəgeɪ̯ʃənz, or something similar over kanjəgeɪ̯ʃənz
Thanks for noticing it, English is not my native language.
mira
greek
greek

Post by mira »

qwed117 wrote:
J_from_Holland wrote:
I noticed an English pronunciation error... conjugations should be kand͡ʒəgeɪ̯ʃənz, or something similar over kanjəgeɪ̯ʃənz
[a]? I use something around [o]. [kond͡ʒʲɘgɛɪʃənz] with a vowel moving towards after the affricate which seems slightly palatalised or with a [j]-ish-ness to it.
Ebon
sinic
sinic

Post by Ebon »

I've been fiddling with the gender system for my newest conlang and discovered that from my current list of words, lots of common nouns (like person or animal) that would probably be animate used to end in -o, whereas a few nouns that would probably be inanimate ended in -a, so I decided that all nouns that used to end in -o are animate and all that ended in -a are inanimate, because where's the fun if gender systems don't have nouns that don't really fit in their category in terms of logic?

And then I realised that through sound changes, word-final o and a changed to e, so now you can't tell the difference between them. Eheheh. I like it even more now.