(Conlangs) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here [2010-2020]

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
protondonor
cuneiform
cuneiform

Re: (Conlangs) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

Post by protondonor »

Coda ʀ also surfaces as vowel length or as a high vowel in Danish and some varieties of German, IIRC.

ʀ > ɣ in all positions and then ɣ > h between vowels sounds perfectly reasonable to me.

EDIT: I meant a low vowel. Sorry. I get those confused all the time, which totally reversed the meaning of that sentence.
Last edited by protondonor on 11 Dec 2016 21:36, edited 1 time in total.
Odkidstr
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Odkidstr »

protondonor wrote:Coda ʀ also surfaces as vowel length or as a high vowel in Danish and some varieties of German, IIRC.

ʀ > ɣ in all positions and then ɣ > h between vowels sounds perfectly reasonable to me.
What is a high vowel? Is that just the place of articulation within the mouth (so /i u/ etc.)? So /poʀ/ would become /pu/ or would it become /pou/?
clawgrip
MVP
MVP

Post by clawgrip »

I did something similar...I have [ʁ̞] as an allophone of /x/ after vowels + before voiced consonants, and in a descendant language, this developed into simple lengthening of the preceding vowel.
cedh
MVP
MVP

Post by cedh »

protondonor wrote:Coda ʀ also surfaces as vowel length or as a high vowel in Danish and some varieties of German, IIRC.
In Standard German, /ʀ/ is pronounced as a nonsyllabic [ɐ̯] in coda position, i.e. in V_C and V_# environments, producing centering/opening diphthongs. If the preceding vowel is /a/, the result is usually a long vowel [aː], and the sequences /ɪʀ ʏʀ ʊʀ/ may range from [ɪɐ̯ ʏɐ̯ ʊɐ̯] to [ɘː øː oː]. Dialectal variants for coda /ʀ/ include [ʌ̯], [ə̯], [ɜ̯], or even [e̯] (one cousin of mine pronounces Wurst as [vuːe̯st]; I personally have [vʊʌ̯st]).
loglorn
mayan
mayan

Post by loglorn »

Not that it isn't reasonable, but the opposite is more.
Diachronic Conlanging is the path to happiness, given time. [;)]

Gigxkpoyan Languages: CHÍFJAEŚÍ RETLA TLAPTHUV DÄLDLEN CJUŚËKNJU ṢATT

Other langs: Søsøzatli Kamëzet
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

cedh wrote:
In Standard German, /ʀ/ is pronounced as a nonsyllabic [ɐ̯] in coda position, i.e. in V_C and V_# environments, producing centering/opening diphthongs. If the preceding vowel is /a/, the result is usually a long vowel [aː], and the sequences /ɪʀ ʏʀ ʊʀ/ may range from [ɪɐ̯ ʏɐ̯ ʊɐ̯] to [ɘː øː oː]. Dialectal variants for coda /ʀ/ include [ʌ̯], [ə̯], [ɜ̯], or even [e̯] (one cousin of mine pronounces Wurst as [vuːe̯st]; I personally have [vʊʌ̯st]).
For me it's mostly length and vowel quality changes:

Wurst [vɔːst]
warst [vaːst]
schwörst [ʃvœːst]
wirst [vɜst] (not really sure, maybe it's front rounded?)
rürst [ʁ̞œːst]
bohrst [bɔːst]
It is a non-syllabic a-schwa after [e] though.

In some dialects in an area of western Germany that I used to visit often, they really have a higher vowel, something like [ɘ].
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius »

Creyeditor wrote:
Spoiler:
cedh wrote:
For me it's mostly length and vowel quality changes:

Wurst [vɔːst]
warst [vaːst]
schwörst [ʃvœːst]
wirst [vɜst] (not really sure, maybe it's front rounded?)
rürst [ʁ̞œːst]
bohrst [bɔːst]
It is a non-syllabic a-schwa after [e] though.

In some dialects in an area of western Germany that I used to visit often, they really have a higher vowel, something like [ɘ].
For me (NRW), it's this:
Wurst [vʊə̯st]
warst [vaːst]
schwörst [ʃvøɐ̯st]
wirst [viə̯st ~ vɪːst]
rürst [ʁʏə̯st]
bohrst [bɔɐ̯st]
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

Odkidstr wrote:

What is a high vowel? Is that just the place of articulation within the mouth (so /i u/ etc.)? So /poʀ/ would become /pu/ or would it become /pou/?
High vowels are closed or nearly-closed vowels, e.g.

​ • [​y]
[ɨ]​ • ​[ʉ]​
[​ɯ]​ • [​u​]
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.
Isfendil
greek
greek

Post by Isfendil »

Are we allowed to make requests to work with people on possible conlanging projects in this thread?
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

Isfendil wrote:Are we allowed to make requests to work with people on possible conlanging projects in this thread?
I don't see why not, but that might warrant its own thread as well.
Isfendil
greek
greek

Post by Isfendil »

DesEsseintes wrote:
Isfendil wrote:Are we allowed to make requests to work with people on possible conlanging projects in this thread?
I don't see why not, but that might warrant its own thread as well.
I would agree but I don't think that I have the authority to make such a mass thread. But who does? At any rate, till then I'll post my request here when I'm free.
clawgrip
MVP
MVP

Post by clawgrip »

If you have access to the "new topic" button, then you have the authority to make a thread. I'm not sure what you mean by a "mass thread" but just make one and ask people to join. If they're interested, they will.
Isfendil
greek
greek

Post by Isfendil »

clawgrip wrote:If you have access to the "new topic" button, then you have the authority to make a thread. I'm not sure what you mean by a "mass thread" but just make one and ask people to join. If they're interested, they will.
Oh sorry no. Of course I know how to make regular threads, never mind. I assumed something else.

Also, on the topic of making a new thread, it's more I didn't want to clutter the subforum with another thread that might never get used again. I mean, the contact could just as easily be established here and continue via PMs or 3rd party communication, thereby averting said cluttering.
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

Isfendil wrote: I would agree but I don't think that I have the authority to make such a mass thread. But who does? At any rate, till then I'll post my request here when I'm free.
What have you had in mind, Isfendil?
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.
Isfendil
greek
greek

Post by Isfendil »

Iyionaku wrote:
Isfendil wrote: I would agree but I don't think that I have the authority to make such a mass thread. But who does? At any rate, till then I'll post my request here when I'm free.
The mass thread I was talking about would be a general requests thread like this one.

My own idea was that I wanted to make either an a priori protolanguage someone, or a semitic creole with someone who studied another natlang family extensively. Preferrably Satem IE or non IE. But at the moment I'm really busy so I was going to ask later.
Ebon
sinic
sinic

Post by Ebon »

Isfendil wrote:
Iyionaku wrote:
The mass thread I was talking about would be a general requests thread like this one.

My own idea was that I wanted to make either an a priori protolanguage someone, or a semitic creole with someone who studied another natlang family extensively. Preferrably Satem IE or non IE. But at the moment I'm really busy so I was going to ask later.
Can't help you with the creole, but the protolang sounds fun. Once you have more time feel free to hit me up.
protondonor
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by protondonor »

Iyionaku wrote:
Odkidstr wrote:

​ • [​y]
[ɨ]​ • ​[ʉ]​
[​ɯ]​ • [​u​]

I actually meant a low vowel, [a ɑ ɐ]. I get high and low confused all the time for some reason.
Odkidstr
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Odkidstr »

protondonor wrote:
Iyionaku wrote:
Odkidstr wrote:

​ • [​y]
[ɨ]​ • ​[ʉ]​
[​ɯ]​ • [​u​]

I actually meant a low vowel, [a ɑ ɐ]. I get high and low confused all the time for some reason.

Oh, that's good news actually. I could see possibly doing that (high vowels wouldn't look as good in the language to me). So far I'm leaning to just making it ʀ > s. Found it in the index diachronia and seemed rather simple. I guess I've got more thinking to do. Thanks for the help everyone [:D]
loglorn
mayan
mayan

Post by loglorn »

Odkidstr wrote:
protondonor wrote:
Iyionaku wrote:
Odkidstr wrote:

​ • [​y]
[ɨ]​ • ​[ʉ]​
[​ɯ]​ • [​u​]

Oh, that's good news actually. I could see possibly doing that (high vowels wouldn't look as good in the language to me). So far I'm leaning to just making it ʀ > s. Found it in the index diachronia and seemed rather simple. I guess I've got more thinking to do. Thanks for the help everyone [:D]
Wow, which language was that on? Unconditional? Got me curious.
Diachronic Conlanging is the path to happiness, given time. [;)]

Gigxkpoyan Languages: CHÍFJAEŚÍ RETLA TLAPTHUV DÄLDLEN CJUŚËKNJU ṢATT

Other langs: Søsøzatli Kamëzet
Auvon
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Auvon »

loglorn wrote: Wow, which language was that on? Unconditional? Got me curious.
https://chridd.nfshost.com/diachronica/all#Palauan-ʀ_2

To Palauan, unconditional. Only example like that.