What did you accomplish today? [2011–2019]

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by DesEsseintes »

I have, after years of resisting it, fallen in love with clicks, and now they are all I can think about.
lsd
greek
greek

Post by lsd »

Working on 3D writing simplification and normalization...
not enough finalized...
Frislander
mayan
mayan

Post by Frislander »

DesEsseintes wrote:I have, after years of resisting it, fallen in love with clicks, and now they are all I can think about.
They're so cute aren't they! They're like the group of sounds even non-linguists enjoy hearing about, they're that good!
lsd
greek
greek

Post by lsd »

Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

Added more creatures to the list of Vrkhazhian mythological beings:
http://conworkshop.info/view_article.ph ... e00674571e
Image Śād Warḫallun (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius »

I accomplished this today (now with sound!):

Sċieldan mé sċẹal stæf in mínre hand / fram sċytum and sċẹaðum mid þæs stánes strengðe.
[ˈʃɪʏ̯ɫdɑn meː ˈʃæl | ˈstæf ɪn ˌmiːnɹə ˈhɑnd ‖ fɹɑm ˈʃʏtʊm ɑnd ˈʃæðʊm | mɪd ðæs ˈstɑːnəs ˌstrɛŋɡðə]
“The staff in my hand shall protect me from shootings* and criminals with the strength of a stone.”

*shootings = referring to a bow

It's a spell composed in alliterative verse.
I think I overdid it... Yep, I overdid it.
Last edited by Egerius on 18 Feb 2017 00:03, edited 1 time in total.
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

I did a temporal change in Caelians orthography (temporal means, I let it for a week or so and then decide if I'll keep it)

Normally y/j + i is impossible because the former is depalatalized and is therefore not written. However, wy is a letter that is not a palatal sound [ʋ]. I therefore decided that the <y> is retained as an exception, and the i is implied with an acute accent.

So old wyildaz (he plays) -> wýldaz

I've been working at Caelian for two and a half years now and this is the very first time I stumbled about it; if it's so rare it might not be worth another diacritic. But maybe I will exceed this principle to all y-palatals.
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.
alynnidalar
greek
greek

Post by alynnidalar »

Egerius wrote:Sċieldan mé sċẹal stæf in mínre hand / fram sċytum and sċẹaðum mid þæs stánes strengðe.
[ˈʃɪʏ̯ɫdɑn meː ˈʃæl | ˈstæf ɪn ˌmiːnɹə ˈhɑnd ‖ fɹɑm ˈʃʏtʊm ɑnd ˈʃɑðʊm | mɪd ðæs ˈstɑːnəs ˌstrɛŋɡðə]
“The staff in my hand shall protect me from shootings* and criminals with the strength of a stone.”
Overdoing or not overdoing, the result is lovely and I would very much like to hear a recording of it. :P
Void
sinic
sinic

Post by Void »

Decided to finally try and make a language family. Made some basic Proto-grammar and some sound changes into two ("attested") old languages of a branch. Stole a bunch of sound changes from Iranian, though.

*ɲcʷix "tail" > *ərtʃux > arʃux, ərəsux

*ɟusl "snow" > *dʒusər > duhar, zusər

*maʕs’u "sand" > *ma:sʰu > ma:h, ma:su

*moħɲa "sister" > *ma:xna > ma:ʃna, ma:ŋxa

*s’eħja "hunter" > sʰa:xja > tsa:ʃa, sa:ŋxa

*ɟawt’ja ʃixʷidi gestotas ktatrʲam "the priest wrote the king a letter" > *dʒawtʃʰa ʃixudi gestotas ksatram > duʃa ʃixud dʒestas xʃatsam; zautʃa ʃxud dʒeʃtas xʃaθram
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

I completely revised Caelian's conjugation system and added some crazy (but always plausible) assimilation rules.

Below is a revised verb table of the verb *b-rn-j (to go). Grey forms are only used in writing, while black forms are written and spoken. (Due to the complexity, foreign students of Caelian only learn those forms two years later than the rest.)

Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.
loglorn
mayan
mayan

Post by loglorn »

What are the those CL? Seems to be number but i can't tell what it is.
Diachronic Conlanging is the path to happiness, given time. [;)]

Gigxkpoyan Languages: CHÍFJAEŚÍ RETLA TLAPTHUV DÄLDLEN CJUŚËKNJU ṢATT

Other langs: Søsøzatli Kamëzet
Adarain
greek
greek

Post by Adarain »

I don't really see how those forms are all that complex. The system is incredibly regular, with the first vowel corresponding to the subject and the second to the object.
At kveldi skal dag lęyfa,
Konu es bręnnd es,
Mæki es ręyndr es,
Męy es gefin es,
Ís es yfir kømr,
Ǫl es drukkit es.
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

loglorn wrote:What are the those CL? Seems to be number but i can't tell what it is.
Should be COL. Thanks for asking.
Adarain wrote:I don't really see how those forms are all that complex. The system is incredibly regular, with the first vowel corresponding to the subject and the second to the object.
Indeed it is, and you can tell the right form relatively fast. This was what I actually changed, but you possible cannot tell from a plain view on one verb. For example, nVn > dVn, VirC > VrC and Vij > Vi, what yields as 1COLIN>2COL burdënäj instead of the regularly expected *buirnënäij (në is a - maybe redundant - infix for COL>COL). Out of this form, a non-experienced speaker might get problems to guess the right root: *b-rn-j.
WeepingElf
greek
greek

Post by WeepingElf »

Why do you use an intransitive verb to demonstrate a transitive paradigm?
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
Imralu
roman
roman

Post by Imralu »

WeepingElf wrote:Why do you use an intransitive verb to demonstrate a transitive paradigm?
I was wondering too. I assume it's actually a transitive verb meaning "go to", but if so, that should really be explained. In Australian English "to go someone" means either to have sex with them or to fight them ... maybe only in the conditional, like "I'd go 'im."
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = specific / non-specific, AG = agent, E = entity (person, animal, thing)
________
MY MUSIC | MY PLANTS
loglorn
mayan
mayan

Post by loglorn »

Imralu wrote:
WeepingElf wrote:Why do you use an intransitive verb to demonstrate a transitive paradigm?
I was wondering too. I assume it's actually a transitive verb meaning "go to", but if so, that should really be explained. In Australian English "to go someone" means either to have sex with them or to fight them ... maybe only in the conditional, like "I'd go 'im."
Curious polysemy though.
Diachronic Conlanging is the path to happiness, given time. [;)]

Gigxkpoyan Languages: CHÍFJAEŚÍ RETLA TLAPTHUV DÄLDLEN CJUŚËKNJU ṢATT

Other langs: Søsøzatli Kamëzet
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

Imralu wrote:
Nah, verbs are always conjugated after one object, if there is one. So if there is no accusative object (because the verb is intransitive), it can be flected after another case, like allative ("I come to you"), illative ("I come into the house") etc. Sorry, should have explained that directly.
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

Vrkhazhians now have four types of weapons used by soldiers and guards:
Spoiler:
Image Śād Warḫallun (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
Omzinesý
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Omzinesý »

I gave thought to Vtayn evidentials/perspectives, again.

kol-i
understand-PRS
'understands'

kol-d-r-i
understand-Ø-EGO-PRS
'understands (and I know it because I'm the authority of his understanding'

kol-d-l-i
understand-Ø-SENSORY-PRS
'understands (I saw it)'

The evidential/perspective markers are not "obligatory" but they are used to start a new discourse with maybe new kinds of evidential authorities.

Reportative (second hand knowledge) is an auxiliary. At least I don't have a good morpheme for the slot.
My meta-thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5760
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

:con: Yélian

I added prepositional pronouns that can appear if there is an inanimate object with a preposition. Without a preposition the inverse voice would have been used. The prepositional pronouns follow the pattern preposition + demonstrative pronoun "vat" (if the preposition ends on a consonant, <v> ist elided).

fecun + vat -> fécunat (with it)
can + vat -> canat (for it)
pun + vat -> puvat (in it)
cu + vat -> cuvat (at it)

If this occurs, the prepositional pronoun always precedes the clause. Example:

Fécunat cimegpinat.
Fecun-vat ci-meg-pin-at
with=DEM NEG-PERM-play-JUS.3SG
He must not play with it.