What did you accomplish today? [2011–2019]

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by DesEsseintes »

Ælfwine wrote: 08 Oct 2019 05:43 The fact that it looks Algonquin is a feature, not a bug. :)
Anything Algonquian is a bug, said no one with taste ever. [;)]
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

Ælfwine wrote: 08 Oct 2019 05:43Very nice Dormouse! I like the look of inchéta a lot.
That's great to hear! It was so gratifying to realize Latin just happened to have a word meaning "to begin" that it had shifted toward "to begin business". And Romance languages had inherited it, albeit with different definitions. Made my job a lot easier. [:D]

Ælfwine wrote:I've been tinkering with a descendant of Old Norse in North America called Vinlandic for a while now, and I have gotten the phonemic inventory via sound changes to what I wanted:
Good job! If you happen to have a few examples of reflexes, it'd be cool to see them.
Ælfwine
roman
roman

Post by Ælfwine »

Dormouse559 wrote: 12 Oct 2019 19:45
Ælfwine wrote: 08 Oct 2019 05:43Very nice Dormouse! I like the look of inchéta a lot.
That's great to hear! It was so gratifying to realize Latin just happened to have a word meaning "to begin" that it had shifted toward "to begin business". And Romance languages had inherited it, albeit with different definitions. Made my job a lot easier. [:D]

Ælfwine wrote:I've been tinkering with a descendant of Old Norse in North America called Vinlandic for a while now, and I have gotten the phonemic inventory via sound changes to what I wanted:
Good job! If you happen to have a few examples of reflexes, it'd be cool to see them.
This is somewhat outdated and therefore "wrong" on many parts, but a straight conversion of Norse to Vinlandic from a Faroese poem:

Niri īčīnǫ hā lēhtarānī hąka wak ītį piryayi, lwąkri niri, hā čēmānī čāla, opahtō čōhpari, ǫtī itēnonǫ hā plįto irōnā hāta tī hayani kǫ hą. Hramičis riht hą ī čihtonǫ, ī hrahkanǫ sǫ lōtā aw šikā wak ęsimi, hąsara hakra pwąhka wąkamānaląt, hit čihnahta ī wahkara pwāhmįtǫ. Takānī wāro parakrahā nahtōnā wā hįkrā krītī ǫ riklō, miwā ayrī pīto prī om āyī. Rēhti hā prī mīlō lwāt ī hǫčaw ā. Rohkā hyā intīlītwīlo ilihtoni, wąhkāsōlō, hālohōlō, ihtątihōlō, ēšini aw kālēhka til sīht mwāwōmā, lōtorī ā ęsimi wak sikā riht hramičis ī čihtonō.

No gloss just yet. An error includes piryayi, it should be pīwayi, as loss of coda liquids happen before lenition, and it this particular word I decided /w/ instead of /j/ for the first glide due to disassimilation. (I think the source of this word is something like *birđađi or the sort. Unfortunately I did not translate this so I have no idea what the original word was.)

Nonetheless this is roughly the aesthetic I am going for.
My Blog

A-posteriori, alternative history nerd
LinguoFranco
greek
greek

Post by LinguoFranco »

Well, I finally made some progress on Orundi (night have to change the name since I now realize that it is incompatible with my phonology).

I've settled on using the direct-inverse alignment.

As for allophony, /h/ becomes /ç/ when palatalized and when it occurs before a high vowel such as /i/ or /u/. I might extend this kind of sound change to some of my other consonants.
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

Completely revamped Vrkhazhian phonology again, so now there are no palatal consonants (except /j/) and the vowels are /a a: e e: i i: u u:/

There is a core distinction between indicative mood and subjunctive mood, which is now indicated on the verb instead of the noun. The subjunctive affix is primarily -āh but is affected by vowel mutation and assimilation rules. There is also the morpheme -ess which indicates anaphoric reference and the subjects of relative clauses.

I made some sentences which shows how the subjunctive might be used:

Śāman nessagśēhem Hāḳālu ne hūk ʾāmāk nuṣābem.
The women, may they be cursed by Hakala, killed my sister.

ʾāmā naśā bī ḳu ʾessālāh.
I want to see her.

ʾāmā naśā bī śe ʾāmāk bēdu pālāh.
I want you to give me the book.

Māy śan dewu ṣēhu ṗatśūkkūm zēbbāwa (maha) śan śim śun zubwakūm.
If you may come here again (therefore/then) you will not go/return home.
Image Śād Warḫallun (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Yesterday I coined over a hundred new Kankonian words.

Things we can now say in Kankonian include:

ask-hupiyi: siphonophore (ask, colony + hupiyi, hydra)
halmazin: to fight to the death (hal-, prefix for all + mazin, to fight)
ezgrin halmazini: holy war (Internet/PAIMO fight over a religious or political issue) (ezgrin, war; halmazin + -i, adjective-forming suffix)
hohar: boom (to control the flow of logs)
khitrugh: gelignite, blasting gelatin
suda: a medicine taken to counteract the toxic effects of stimulants (borrowed from a language of Nexon or Pluos)
tzikwas: a medicine taken to counteract the toxic effects of depressants (borrowed from a language of Nexon or Pluos)
tzemauvarass: liquid (of a commodity) (tzemau, to sell, sale + varass, stable)
tzemauwasishezi: illiquid (tzemau + wasishezi, unstable)
danteloiko: atomicity (number of atoms in a molecule) (dan, atom + teloiko, quantity, count)
sheltshtanzes: in-laws (mashup of ashelti, spouse, wife, husband + eshtanz, relative + -es, plural suffix)
ader: visit (noun) (ablaut on adir, the verb to visit)
ghuba: post (appointed position)
ip: qubit (borrowing from a language of Keitel)
mikzai: almond milk
niknetzi: peanutty
babiksu Amadzhik: Arabian oryx, white oryx (babiksu, oryx; Amadzhik, Amadian (Amadia being a country on ancient Kankonia)
nehulizbabiksu: scimitar oryx (nehuliz, unicorn + babiksu)
apo'izuk: apo'izuk, spear oryx (Junsuvian oryx with spear-like tips at the ends of its horns) (borrowed from a language of Junsu)
bauboush: steppe bison
kmuyu: daub
brukhs: to stub (remove a tree)
khatshi: munchable, snackable
kaki: jitney (minibus)
Autoer: Autö (sunken island in Povoian mythology) (borrowed from Povoian, obviously)
Atlantis: Atlantis (borrowed from Earth)
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 90,000 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
Pabappa
greek
greek

Post by Pabappa »

Im dipping into old sound changes I wrote in 2007 to make a few new sister languages of Pabappa spoken in the rural, underpopulated eastern areas of Paba. I had actually forgotten that they were under Pabap control because they play very little role in the story .... and while the majority of the population lives in the west, there may well be more linguistic diversity in the east since there is less internal migration where the people are poorer and more tied to their land.

Pabappa as it was from 2004-2007 would be instantly recognizable even today because of its phonology, but there were subtle differences that neither Pabappa nor Poswa express today. For example, "mouthful" words like pfumpti "dormitory" are not found in either language as I have them today because I've done a lot of sound changes and selective culling of vocabulary.

That is, while a word like /pfumpti/ would be legal in Poswa, only five Poswa words begin with /pf/, and only seven contain /mpt/; these categories do not overlap. Likewise in Pabappa I've pruned out words that don't fit the aesthetic I want for it, which is to have mostly but not entirely CV(m|p) syllables. But there's beauty in the "mouthful" words too, and although I won't ever have time to bring these sister languages up to the level of development of Pabappa and Poswa, I will enjoy what I can get out of them, and might draw a map with all the placenames in the native languages of the area.
Makapappi nauppakiba.
The wolf-sheep ate itself. (Play)
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

After resketching Middle Híí the other day I quite accidentally started reviewing Old Híí. I promptly threw away the messy old version and settled on a new, much reduced phonology with much more interesting - albeit still very simple - phonotactics. I’m very pleased with the emerging look and feel of the language. It draws on several things I’ve wanted to do lately, not least a bit of aesthetic inspiration from the conlang Akiatu by akam chinjir on the ZBB. Here is a small aesthetic sample:

iinjaqqu aarįstiihpa mi’unta jappu jaastwiru nįnkrawaaru ha’uraahta karwaa’arįsįstuu iiprįnaraa

Cute. [:D]
KaiTheHomoSapien
greek
greek

Post by KaiTheHomoSapien »

I'm in the middle of revising too (it's a fairly minor revision but should streamline and organize it better and eliminate some dead-ends in the morphology). Lihmelinyan 2.0 should be out soon :)
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Yesterday I coined 97 new Kankonian words.

Kankonians can now say such concepts as:

oguss: indole
estivio: ogive (pointed arch)
habib: ogive (of bullet or missile)
stazhamb: insensible (incapable of feeling pain)
bobingapo: Clostridium
trenauzis: Clostridioides difficile, C. diff
kazvedin: trillium
kazvedinnakhi: melanthiaceous (from kazvedin + nakhi, family)
dauworostei or teinarevor dauworosi: God emperor (from dauworos, divine right + tei, king/queen regnant; or teinarevor, emperor (lit. "king of empire" + dauworos + -i, adjective ending)
woakamopiga: dominatrix (from woaka, hen + mopiga, woman)
oorweos doapi: on the rocks (lit. "à la polar bear")
doapi*: polar bear cub (from doapi, polar bear + -i*, young of an animal suffix)
swikishwikas; swikashwikas; stikishwikas; stikashwikas: cooties (imagined germs)
dzipu na vwetz: body louse (from dzipu, louse; na, of; and vwetz, clothing)
ziomar: djellaba
pawazosh: poet shirt (borrowing from Shaleyan)
ze*yafith: nail brush (from ze*ya, nail + fith, bristle)
tshpwu: to suck in; to draw in (a reader, etc.)
zipanadeka: ergosphere (from Shaleyan: zipan: to tear, to rip + deka, layer)
bayaphokhimel: Schwarzschild radius (an eponymous word from a Shaleyan surname)
hakhos na hwaha: frame dragging (lit. "funhouse mirror effect")
nashudam na iwe; iwenashudam: cosmological horizon, particle horizon (lit. horizon of the universe)
veiveieueri: comoving (from veivei, parallel + euer, to move + -i)
Kolowadez ba dezed; nashudam na Kolowazed: Cauchy horizon (from the Shaleyan surname Kolowadez; ba is a Shaleyan postposition for "of" and dezed is Shaleyan for horizon)
zakhos na Kepgik: Schwarzschild black hole, static black hole (zakhos, black hole; na, of; Kepgik, a Keitelese surname)
zakhos na Khanapubim: Reissner-Nordström black hole (zakhos; na; Khanapubim, a Shaleyan surname)
khivbudibbyun: syngendery (the collection of disparate types of nouns in noun classes/genders) (from Ciladian: khibh, together + budib, category, genus, noun class + -byun, suffix equivalent to -y, -ism, -ship)
gyep: gum (chewy or sticky substance from a plant) (a borrowing from Ciladian)
saphouf: puffer (jacket)
dafidoerni: Manx shearwater
hasheashur: seagrass (from hashea, sea, ocean + shur, flower)
tshens: to do some vlogging (shortened from tshensilka, vlog, a Javarti borrowing)
kroika; kroitzi*: gherkin (the latter is kroitz, pickle + -i*)
paibatzikim: to ghettoize, ghettoization (isolate as if in a ghetto) (from pai, into + batzikim, ghetto)
lavizkroitz: dill pickle (from laviz, dill + kroitz)
vatzishkroitz: cinnamon pickle (from vatzish, cinnamon + kroitz; yes, this is a thing on Kankonia)
kimtshi: kimchi (borrowing from Korean)
damedsuman: cycloid (from Ciladian roots: damed, cirle + suman, shape)
sigakhsuman: ctenoid (from Ciladian roots: sigakh, comb + suman)
ghrinsempt: pasty (semicircular pastry)
ghaphos: date cake
medzhul: medjool (Terran borrowing)
deglet nur: deglet noor (Terran borrowing)
oikhos*egmat: to barhop (from oikhos, bar, pub, tavern + *egmat, to ride)
kihek: crook of one's elbow
kalamata: Kalamata olive (Terran borrowing)

Plus some Kankonian fruit varieties:

ophrous: puffy, black variety of date
miying: long, tapered brown variety of date
netzostzimbano (netzostzim for short): black, smooth date that resembles an olive (from netzos, olive + tzimbano, date)
brizi: large, blue, wrinkled variety of date
golaubt: light blue variety of date that is edible when ripe
vournos: indigo variety of olive
friski: yellow, lopsided variety of pear
bronz: orange variety of pear
pipimil: light green pear variety with dark green speckles
tatru: small green pear variety
shopas: large, very sweet variety of apple
tikhos: small, red, very round variety of apple
levitz: medium-size, tart, yellow apple variety
bruzhus: medium-size, sweet, cinnamon-colored apple variety

And some secondary meanings for old words:

halzurmini: evidence-based (~ medicine), from the word for "scientistic"
daniya: point (I've reached the ~ where . . .), from the word for "bridge"
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 90,000 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
yangfiretiger121
sinic
sinic

Post by yangfiretiger121 »

Completely overhauled my lang family's phonology, including the elimination of Old Common's Church Common dialect.
Alien conlangs (Font may be needed for Vai symbols)
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

Changed the phonology a bit:
https://www.frathwiki.com/Vrkhazhian#Phonology

Changed the verb paradigms:
https://www.frathwiki.com/Verbs_in_Vrkhazhian

Dēśi amāk paseǧ bi nārā Wērxālu pāwēśū ḳūyun sunpāddim.
[ˈdɛː.ɬi ɑˈmɑːk pɑˈsɛɣ bi nɑːˈrɑː ˈwɛːr.xɑː.ɮu pɑː.wɛːˈɬuː kʼuːˈjun sunˈpɑːd.dim]
My heart is hurt that the mothers of Vrkhazh must weep for their sons.

Ḳūwe hābu pergu niṣessēb ne ḳūwi ṣaras ma śādu ʾeneṣ́ñu ʾama nuʾāl ʾutu bi ḳūwe tewmu nunṗalku.
[ˈkʼuː.wɛ ˈɦɑː.bu ˈpɛr.gu ni.sʼɛsˈsɛːb nɛ ˈkʼuː.wi sʼɑˈrɑs mɑ ˈɬɑː.du ɛˈnɛɬʼ.ŋu ɑˈmɑ nuˈʔɑːɮ uˈtu bi ˈkʼuː.wɛ ˈtɛw.mu nunˈpʼɑɮ.ku]
He boasts about all the animals he killed, yet I've never seen him leave the village.

ʾĀwe bēdu bessād ʾutu māǧdīn ʾāwi zessagā ʾutu bi bēdu bessād lasaḳ ʾutu.
[ˈɑː.wɛ ˈbɛːdu bɛsˈsɑːd uˈtu mɑːɣˈdiːn ˈɑː.wi zɛs.sɑˈgɑː uˈtu bi ˈbɛːdu bɛsˈsɑːd ɮɑˈsɑkʼ uˈtu]
The man who does not read has no advantage over the man who cannot read.
Last edited by Ahzoh on 03 Dec 2019 04:49, edited 2 times in total.
Image Śād Warḫallun (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
LinguoFranco
greek
greek

Post by LinguoFranco »

I managed to get beyond the phonemic inventory and into word generation (finally.)
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

I discovered that intervocalic hs hł hf hþ clusters in Híí (and their geminate ss łł ff þþ realisations after the vowel /i/) are the result of a morfofo process and are underlyingly s ł f þ.

Very exciting!
Ælfwine
roman
roman

Post by Ælfwine »

LinguoFranco wrote: 30 Nov 2019 03:12 I managed to get beyond the phonemic inventory and into word generation (finally.)
Well now you are prepared for Lexember!
My Blog

A-posteriori, alternative history nerd
Man in Space
roman
roman

Post by Man in Space »

I did some work on a daughter script for Caber.
Twin Aster megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

CC = Common Caber
CK = Classical Khaya
CT = Classical Ĝare n Tim Ar
Kg = Kgáweq'
PB = Proto-Beheic
PO = Proto-O
PTa = Proto-Taltic
STK = Sisỏk Tlar Kyanà
Tm = Təmattwəspwaypksma
Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo »

Did some serious thinking about my draft of The Traitor's Blade and got some new ideas I'm really excited about, though they don't solve all of my problems. Though they _do_ invalidate a lot of what I've written in the conworld thread... *sigh*
My pronouns are <xe> [ziː] / <xym> [zɪm] / <xys> [zɪz]

My shitty twitter
LinguistCat
sinic
sinic

Post by LinguistCat »

I won Nanowrimo, the first time since I started the challenge many years ago. I actually won (got 50k words in the month of November) yesterday but it's really just setting in that I actually did it! [:D]
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

I’ve named the second most widespread and politically important Central Híí dialect River Híí.

Notable differences between Híí Proper and River Híí include the following:
- River Híí retains the palatal nasal /ɲ/
- Híí Proper /s/ corresponds to River Híí /ʃ/
- Híí Proper /r/ corresponds to one of /ʒ j/ in River Híí
- River Híí generally doesn’t pre-aspirate fricatives in intervocalic position

River Híí does however share some of the most characteristic features of Híí Proper:
- lenition of *l to /w/ in intervocalic position
- widespread vowel elision processes and concomitant gemination of continuants
These features are not shared by the more conservative dialects further east.
Clio
sinic
sinic

Post by Clio »

LinguistCat wrote: 01 Dec 2019 00:29 I won Nanowrimo, the first time since I started the challenge many years ago. I actually won (got 50k words in the month of November) yesterday but it's really just setting in that I actually did it! [:D]
Congratulations! I did not win under the ordinary rules, but I did manage to write a full page per day (so probably 15-20 thousand words in November), so I've knocked around a lot of world-building ideas.
Niûro nCora
Getic: longum Getico murmur in ore fuit
scratchpad