roman
roman

Re: Lexember 2022

Post by Jackk »

29th Lexember

panel "panel"

panel /paˈnɛl/ [pɐˈnɛw]
- panel, a rectangular section of a surface like a wall or ceiling;
- shutter, a protective wooden panel which may be placed over windows to block sunlight;
- patch, swatch, a piece or sample (usually rectangular) of a type of cloth;
- patchwork, quilt, a blanket or other fabric item sewn together from small rectangles of cloth;
- motif, template, a decorative figure that is repeated in a design or pattern;
- sign, signpost, a standing structure upon which is given directions to nearby locations;
- poster, bill, bulletin, a picture or graphic intended to be affixed to a wall;
- panel, frame, one of the drawn sections of a comic strip;
- frame, freezeframe, still, a single image captured by a film camera as part of a sequence which create a moving picture;
- screenshot, an image of how (part of) some interactive screen appeared at a particular moment;
- theme, thread, throughline, a recurring element in an artistic work

Etymology: from Old Boral panel "swatch of fabric, rectangle of wood", descending via a Vulgar Latin diminutive from Latin pannus "cloth, rag".

Panel jattove parlocan y cambr.
/paˈnɛl ˌʒa.toˈve ˌpar.loˈkan i ˈkambr̩/
[pɐˈnɛw ˌʝa.tʊˈve ˌpɑː.lʊˈkan i ˈkam.bɐ]
panel teak straddle-ipf.3p def bedroom
Teak panels lined the bedroom.
terram impūram incolāmus
hamteu un mont sug
let us live in a dirty world
Knox Adjacent
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Knox Adjacent »

Day 29
ɳi-ɭaŋiwaɲcip n. cake
"bread-sweet"
ɳi-ɭaŋiwaɲcipt̪a n. cupcake
Cake à la diminutive -l̪a
Last edited by Knox Adjacent on 11 Jul 2023 07:32, edited 1 time in total.
zyma
korean
korean

Post by zyma »

Day 30

Hannaito (Entry 30):

hëufütsuwar /hɘuhɯᵝtuwar/ [ˈçɪ̈u̯.ɸɯᵝˌt͡su.wɑɾ]
Noun:
1. the northern sky
2. the stars, constellations/asterisms, and other celestial bodies visible in the northern sky
3. the northern pole star
4. the northern pole star personified as a deity (usually a goddess)
5. the heavenly realm/domain of the deity (usually a goddess) associated with the northern pole star

Alternative forms
hëubütsuwar, hëufütsuar, hëubutsuar
Etymology
From hëufü "north(ern); left" (< Proto-Hannaitoan *hilgu "left") + tsuwar "sky, heaven(s)" (< PH *tulaar "air, sky").
Related terms
Related terms include üihe "south(ern); right" (< PH *wuyhe "right"), zeüsur "east(ern); rising, floating" (< PH *gelu "to float" + *sud "heavy"), and üitasur "west(ern); setting, falling" (< PH *luuyca "to fall" + *sud "heavy"). These adjectives are most commonly nominalized via the suffixation of mou "side, flank" (< PH *mol "wing"): hëufümou "the north", üihemou "the south", zeüsurmou "the east", and üitasurmou "the west".
Usage notes
The goddess of the North Star is one of the most important figures in the Hannaichë religion, rivaling even the deities associated with the sun and moon, and is known by a number of different names and epithets. She may be referred to as Hëufütsuwar (lit. "the Northern Heavens"), the name of her celestial abode, or simply as Hëufüjërna (lit. "the North Star"). In her role as the patron deity of mariners, navigators, and the open sea, she is often called Dzüineron (lit. "the Fire amid the Brine"), Züppüffuren (lit. "Mother of the Horizon"), Toufuurün (lit. "the Harbor's Light"), Waiqëinechë (lit. "the Fish-Hauler"), or Yenhatchë (lit. "Lady of the Longship"), among other titles. In addition to being a type of boat adopted by the Hannaichë from some of their northern neighbors, the "Longship" referenced by this last epithet is a notable constellation/asterism in the northern part of the sky.

The North Star goddess is also commonly associated with leadership and the Hannaichë government. She may be portrayed at times as the celestial equivalent of either an elected monarch, an ërhoyeu (see Entry 10), or both, inspiring names such as Tsuwarqërchë (lit. "the Heavenly Hostess") and Shënnonhebe (lit. "the Great and Steadfast Queen"). This is in part because, according to Hannaichë mythology, she is not the first entity to hold the position of North Star deity, and she will not be the last. Similarly to how the role of ërhoyeu is periodically passed from one assembly member to another, or how a royal election is held upon the death or abdication of a monarch, it is believed that the goddess inherited her current domain from her father or grandfather, Wertormiuchë (lit. "the Old Captain"), and that she will one day transfer her duties to another star.

These stories seemingly reflect the fact that, much like on Earth, the "axial precession" of the planet on which Hannaito is spoken (name TBD) results in the pole stars changing over time, shifting gradually as part of a cycle that takes tens of thousands of years to complete. The star that the Hannaichë call Hëufütsuwar was not always, and will not always be, the North Star. The previous North Star was probably the star that the Hannaichë identify as Wertormiuchë. However, it has likely been at least 2000 years since the current Hëufüjërna took over the role of North Star from her "(grand)father" Wertormiuchë, and neither the Hannaichë nor any of the other groups of people with whom they are in frequent contact have written records going that far back. Nevertheless, knowledge of this cycle may have been preserved as part of Hannaichë "folk memory" and passed down orally over the millennia.

Old Visigothic (Entry 30):

midiasuuipen /ˈmidjaˌswiːpɛːn/ [ˈmið.jɑˌswiː.pɛ(ː)n], [ˈmið.jɑˌswiː.pɛi̯n]
Noun:
1. deluge, great flood, cataclysmic flood
2. (Judaism, Christianity) the Deluge, the great flood described in the Book of Genesis

Alternative forms
midhia-, mithia-, midiia-, midhiia-, mithiia-
-suuipein, -suuipain, -suueipen, -suueipein, -suueipain
-suipen, -suipein, -suipain, -sueipen, -sueipein, -sueipain
-suuipens, -suuipeins, -suuipains, -suueipens, -suueipeins, -suueipains
-suipens, -suipeins, -suipains, -sueipens, -sueipeins, -sueipains
Etymology
Possibly from mide "middle" (< PGmc. *midjaz) + a class 3 weak verb suuipan "to sweep" (< PIE *ksweybʰ-) + the nominalizing suffix -en (compare Biblical Gothic -𐌰𐌹𐌽𐍃 (-ains)). Compare Biblical Gothic 𐌼𐌹𐌳𐌾𐌰𐍃𐍅𐌴𐌹𐍀𐌰𐌹𐌽𐍃 (midjasweipains).
Related terms
Related terms include midoma "middle, midst" (< *medumō), midomon "to mediate, to moderate" (< *medumōną), midiongard "the (known) world" (< *midjagardaz), suuiuan "to cease, to end, to finish" (< *swībaną), and unsuuiuan "to continue" (compare 𐌿𐌽𐍃𐍅𐌴𐌹𐌱𐌰𐌽 (unsweiban)).

lufialisi /ˈlubjaˌliːsiː/ [ˈluβ.jɑˌliː.si(ː)]
Noun:
1. witchcraft, sorcery
2. the use of poisons
3. the use of drugs or medicine

Alternative forms
lubia-, louia-; -leisi, -lisei, -leisei, -lissi, -leissi, -lissei, -leissei
Etymology
From lufe "poison" (< PGmc. *lubją) + lis "knowledgeable" (< PGmc. *līsaz) + the nominalizing suffix -i (< *-į̄). Possibly a calque of Ancient Greek φαρμακεία (pharmakeíā). Compare Biblical Gothic 𐌻𐌿𐌱𐌾𐌰𐌻𐌴𐌹𐍃𐌴𐌹 (lubjaleisei).
Related terms
Related terms include lufialis "skilled in witchcraft, skilled at using poisons, etc." (compare 𐌻𐌿𐌱𐌾𐌰𐌻𐌴𐌹𐍃 (lubjaleis)), lisana "to know" (< *lizaną), leisin "teaching, doctrine" (< *laizīniz), list "scheme, plot, ruse, plan, etc." (< *listiz), listig "cunning, crafty, sly" (compare 𐌻𐌹𐍃𐍄𐌴𐌹𐌲𐍃 (listeigs)), leiso "doctrine, teaching" (< *laizō), leisari "teacher, master, instructor, expert" (compare 𐌻𐌰𐌹𐍃𐌰𐍂𐌴𐌹𐍃 (laisāreis)), uuitodleisari "law teacher, legal expert" (compare 𐍅𐌹𐍄𐍉𐌳𐌰𐌻𐌰𐌹𐍃𐌰𐍂𐌴𐌹𐍃 (witōdalaisāreis)), leisig "skilled at teaching" (compare 𐌻𐌰𐌹𐍃𐌴𐌹𐌲𐍃 (laiseigs)), leisian "to teach" (< *laizijaną), galeisian "to teach" (compare 𐌲𐌰𐌻𐌰𐌹𐍃𐌾𐌰𐌽 (galaisjan)), osleisian "to train, to educate" (compare 𐌿𐍃𐌻𐌰𐌹𐍃𐌾𐌰𐌽 (uslaisjan)), unosleisid "uneducated, untrained" (compare 𐌿𐌽𐌿𐍃𐌻𐌰𐌹𐍃𐌹𐌸𐍃 (unuslaisiþs)), luft "air" (< *luftuz), and haliaruna "witch, sorceress" (see Latin haliurunna).
The user formerly known as "shimobaatar".
(she)
Man in Space
roman
roman

Post by Man in Space »

Lexember 30

ólag /ólàʕ/ [ólàʕ] v. 'to placate, to pacify, to calm s.o. down, to appease'
Twin Aster megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

CC = Common Caber
CK = Classical Khaya
CT = Classical Ĝare n Tim Ar
Kg = Kgáweq'
PB = Proto-Beheic
PO = Proto-O
PTa = Proto-Taltic
STK = Sisỏk Tlar Kyanà
Tm = Təmattwəspwaypksma
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

Finally I'm back at home and can get back to shimo's weekly feedback!
shimobaatar wrote: 30 Dec 2022 13:20 Not a big deal, of course, but I assume you mean "crow"?
Yeah of course! I just became aware that I have written this word wrong for all my live. I guess I confused it with the onomatopoeia for the sound of a crow, which in German is Krah! Krah!
shimobaatar wrote: 30 Dec 2022 13:20 I love this -(g)am suffix! It feels very realistic. I know I've seen similar things identified (however tentatively) in natural languages before, though the only specific example I can think of right now is the theory mentioned here regarding why some Semitic words for "dangerous animals" seemingly share a root-final *-b.
Thank you! My inspiration was a similar suffix in German, -ling, which appears in many bird species as well, although it is not limited to it.

Lexember 30 - Yélian

falin [ˈɸaːlɨn] - social battery
falna [ˈɸalnɐ] - to recharge the social battery, to de-socialize

Etymology: new root, possibly related to pala "to speak". As Yélian is my perslang, I've felt the need to include a very basic concept for me with a more fundamental word than natural languages have.

Aquis ilvetani perta o'praletbaran narivafalnas.
[ˈaːkɨs ɨlˈveːtɐnɨ ˈpeɾtɐ ɔ̈ˈpɾaːləˌbaːɾɐn nɐɾɨʋɐˈɸalnɐʃ]
after day-PL-ENUM four DEF.GEN=party-ongoing-PL really-NEC-recharge_social_battery-JUS.1SG
After four days of constant partying I really need to recharge my social batteries.
Last edited by Iyionaku on 31 Dec 2022 11:09, edited 1 time in total.
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.
Johnathan_4
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by Johnathan_4 »

Lexember 30

Tɐ́lʒrə̬k word: kɐv - barbecue. (noun).
NO MATTER HOW YOU FEEL, GET UP, DRESS UP. SHOW UP, AND NEVER GIVE UP. [:D]
Jackk
roman
roman

Post by Jackk »

30th Lexember

çarvinot "raspberry"

çarvinot /ˌtsar.viˈnɔt/ [ˌtsɑː.viˈnɔt]
- raspberry, the plant Rubus idaeus or the red fruit thereof;
- purple-red, the colour of the ripe fruit

Etymology; further diminutive of obsolete çarvin, cervin, itself abbreviated from Old Boral baȝ cervin "raspberry, lit. fawn berry". The Old Boral cervin "fawn, young deer" is a derivative of çarf "deer", from synonymous cervus in Latin.

Mell'acquetta er çarvinot ramenant starc.
/mɛˌla.kwɛˈta ɛr ˌtsar.viˈnɔt ˌra.meˈnant stark/
[mɪˌla.kwɪˈta ɛː ˌtsɑː.vɪˈnɔt ˌʀa.mɪˈnan stɑːk]
1s.gen-liqueur cop.pst raspberry evoke-p.pst strong
My liqueur tasted strongly of raspberries.

---

excerpt from Lux Æterna: The First Century of Threshold Force, written in 2002 (at the time in Dutch with the title Onslackbar Vláy: Drampelstøweth tÿdes har Rést Éw "Unquenchable Fire: Threshold Force in its First Century") by Cawen ba Dirxen at the Varonøw Higher Edifice. This documentarian book was commissioned to commemorate the centenary of the discovery of the atomic nux [nucleus] in the city's Nÿstad Atellier (then privately owned and run by substantial theorist Lohic Courvoisier de Nÿstad).

…has since 1996 produced more killdark [uranium]—predominantly processed immediately into tarmarette [yellowcake] form—than the combined output of all Chrysia [Australia].

Hints at the discrete nature of the composition of atoms (a phrase which itself would not have sat well with either side of the Atomicity Rift; atomicists were yet wedded to the intrinsic Leucippic model, while their opposition regarded the entire scheme as a merely useful fiction) had been encroaching into the understanding of matter for decades. Since the first corporal enumerations [periodic tables] in the 1840s it had been realised that naïvely ordering corporals by weight led to inelegant groupings when alchemical properties were taken into account (most notably the strong motivation to place janthine [iodine] among its detaxional brethren like muria [chlorine]), and no theoretical basis for these transpositions would be proposed for decades.

At the same time, the apparently-unrelated phenomenon where the lightest elements had all been measured to have weights almost exact multiples of that of aquifex [hydrogen], while this was not true at all of heavier ones (even such prosaic substances as copper!), demanded explanation. In 1881—a dozen years before the invention of a device that could even test her theory—Kievan theorist Nike Sarantylack proposed to resolve both questions at once. Her "raspberry" model (so-called by her detractors) supposed each atom to comprise a number of each of two different…
terram impūram incolāmus
hamteu un mont sug
Knox Adjacent
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Knox Adjacent »

Day 30
?-(ŋ)aniwiki n. mead
"honey-booze"
Last edited by Knox Adjacent on 24 Dec 2023 01:51, edited 1 time in total.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Iyionaku wrote: 30 Dec 2022 19:09 falin [ˈɸaːlɨn] - social battery
falna [ˈɸalnɐ] - to recharge the social battery, to de-socialize

Etymology: new root, possibly related to pala "to speak". As Yélian is my perslang, I've felt the need to include a very basic concept for me with a more fundamental word than natural languages have.

Aquis ilvetani perta o'praletbaran narivafalnas.
[ˈaːkɨs ɨlˈveːtɐnɨ ˈpeɾtɐ ɔ̈ˈpɾaːləˌbaːɾɐn nɐɾɨʋɐˈɸalnɐʃ]
after day-PL-ENUM four DEF.GEN=party-ongoing-PL really-NEC-recharge_social_battery-JUS.1SG
After four days of constant partying I really need to recharge my social batteries.
Is this something introverts have? (I'm an extrovert, and as such I don't know the concept.) And would it be similar to the mentally ill community's concept of spoons?
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 90,000 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

Khemehekis wrote: 31 Dec 2022 09:20
Is this something introverts have? (I'm an extrovert, and as such I don't know the concept.) And would it be similar to the mentally ill community's concept of spoons?
Yes, it is! I like going out and meeting friends, I'm not really shy either, but after a couple days without "me-time" I start to get super irritable, I get issues listening to people or sometimes forget to even respond if I'm asked questions. Then I need hours or a day for myself to falna [:)]

Lexember 31 - Yélian

aoparda/auparda [aʊ̯ˈpaɾdɐ] - patriotism
Etymology: uncertain; linked to iava "to love" and an old word for "region"

miatcadietuma [mɪ̯ɐˌkaːdɪ̯əˈtuːmɐ] - nationalism
Etymology: miat "only, first" + acadie "country" + tuma "-ism"

USAGE NOTES: miatcadietuma is one of few words in the Yélian language which defy the usual stop-assimilation rules. Normally, the sequence /tk/ would be rendered as [t], but it is instead rendered as [k].

Æn'aoparda vinét æ'iavuna o'mepeʻin can cenim îypi. Æ'miatcadietuma vinét æ'iavuna on'îypi can to mepeʻin.
[ənaʊ̯ˈpaɾdɐ vɨˈneːt əɪ̯ɐˈʋuːnɐ ɔ̈məˈpeːʔɨn kɐn ˈkeːnɨm ˈiɕpi | əmɪ̯ɐˌkaːdɪ̯əˈtuːmɐ vɨˈneːt əɪ̯ɐˈʋuːnɐ ɔ̈ˈniçpi kɐn to məˈpeːʔɨn]
DEF.CONC=patriotism be_like-3SG DEF.CONC=love.family DEF.GEN=parent-PL for 3PL.POSS toddler | DEF.CONC=nationalism be_like-3SG DEF.CONC=love.family DEF.GEN=toddler for 3SG.MASC.POSS parent-PL
Patriotism is like the love of parents for their toddler. Nationalism is like the love of a toddler for his parents.
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.
zyma
korean
korean

Post by zyma »

Day 31

Hannaito (Entry 31):

habannüman /habannɯᵝman/ [ˈhɑ.bɑ̃nˌnɨᵝ.mɑ̃n]
Noun:
1. the beginning of a new calendar year
2. the calendar year following the current one
3. any festival marking the end of one calendar year and the beginning of the next
4. the traditional Hannaichë New Year festival

Alternative forms
habannümon, hawannüman, hawannümon, habannüdan, hawannüdan
Etymology
From haban "year" (< Proto-Hannaitoan *gaban "year, season, time, age") + nüman "birth, genesis" (< PH *nuumaaŋ "placenta").
Related terms
Other names for the festival include Habanton (lit. "the Head of the Year"), Habannau (lit. "the Root of the Year"), Habanyaran (lit. "the Seed of the Year"), Haiwahaban (lit. "the New Year"), and Habanqërdan (lit. "the Year Festival").
Usage notes
The Hannaichë celebrate their New Year, Habannüman, on the vernal equinox (from a Northern Hemisphere perspective). Another festival, Anmeimeu (lit. "the Blossoming Moon"), is held not long after in honor of the first full moon of spring. If the dates of Habannüman and Anmeimeu are expected to fall within a week of one another, then the festivities will continue nonstop throughout the intervening days.

Old Visigothic (Entry 31):

hiule /ˈjiu̯liː/ [ˈ(j)iu̯.li(ː)], [ˈjeu̯.li(ː)]
Noun:
1. celebration, festivity
2. Yule, Yuletide, midwinter
3. Yulemonth; a month, possibly corresponding to November, December, or parts of both

Alternative forms
hiuli, hiole, hioli, ieule, ieuli, ieole, ieoli, iuule, iuuli, hiules, hiulis, hioles, hiolis, ieules, ieulis, ieoles, ieolis, iuules, iuulis
Etymology
Seemingly related to Proto-Germanic *jehwlą. Compare Gothic 𐌾𐌹𐌿𐌻𐌴𐌹𐍃 (jiuleis).
Related terms
Related terms include nouember "November" (compare 𐌽𐌰𐌿𐌱𐌰𐌹𐌼𐌱𐌰𐌹𐍂 (naubaimbair)), mienoth "month" (< *mēnōþs), miena "moon" (< *mēnô), athen "year" (< *aþna-), atathene "year" (compare 𐌰𐍄𐌰𐌸𐌽𐌹 (ataþni)), hier "year" (< *jērą), uuintro "winter, wintertime; year(s old)" (< *wintruz), tuualifuuintro "twelve-year; twelve-year-old, twelve years old" (< *twalifwintruz), assan "harvest, yield; harvest season, fall, autumn; summer, summertime" (< *azaniz), uuico "routine, sequence; week" (< *wikǭ), dag "day" (< *dagaz), fithorduog "lasting four days, having lasted four days, four days old" (compare 𐍆𐌹𐌳𐌿𐍂𐌳𐍉𐌲𐍃 (fidurdōgs)), sintin "daily" (< *sintīnaz), gisterdag "tomorrow" (compare 𐌲𐌹𐍃𐍄𐍂𐌰𐌳𐌰𐌲𐌹𐍃 (gistradagis)), auardag "tomorrow" (compare 𐌰𐍆𐌰𐍂𐌳𐌰𐌲𐍃 (afardags)), and dagand "dawning; God, the day-bringer" (compare 𐌳𐌰𐌲𐌰𐌽𐌳𐍃 (dagands)).

gard /ˈgard/ [ˈɣɑɾd̥], [ˈɣɑɾθ]
Noun:
1. yard, court, garden
2. house, houshold
3. family, lineage

Alternative forms
gardh, garth, gards, gardhs, garths
Etymology
From Proto- Germanic *gardaz. Compare Biblical Gothic 𐌲𐌰𐍂𐌳𐍃 (gards).
Related terms
Related terms include uuingard "vineyard" (< *wīnagardaz), thiodangarde "kingdom" (compare 𐌸𐌹𐌿𐌳𐌰𐌽𐌲𐌰𐍂𐌳𐌹 (þiudangardi)), ingardia "in one's house; a member of one's household" (compare 𐌹𐌽𐌲𐌰𐍂𐌳𐌾𐌰 (ingardja)), garda "pen (for animals), enclosure" (< *gardô), bigerdan "to begird, to gird oneself" (< *bigerdaną), gerda "girdle, purse" (< *gerdō), gathiling "relative, family, kin, kinsman, cousin" (< *gadilingaz), nithe "kinsman, relative (masc.)" (< *niþjaz), nithio "kinswoman, relative (fem.)" (compare 𐌽𐌹𐌸𐌾𐍉 (niþjō)), siuia "kinship, relationship, love, friendship" (< *sibjō), siue "related, friendly" (< *sibjaz), siuion "to reconcile, to unite, to unify" (< *sibjōną), frastesiuia "adoption" (compare 𐍆𐍂𐌰𐍃𐍄𐌹𐍃𐌹𐌱𐌾𐌰 (frastisibja)), cune "kin, family" (< *kunją), auara "descendant" (< *aferô), erisa "earlier, sooner; ancestor" (compare 𐌰𐌹𐍂𐌹𐌶𐌰 (airiza)), fadrin "parent; ancestor, forefather; (patri-)lineage, ancestry, family" (compare 𐍆𐌰𐌳𐍂𐌴𐌹𐌽 (fadrein)), bierusios "parent(s)" (< *bērusjaz), frumbor "firstborn child, firstborn son" (compare 𐍆𐍂𐌿𐌼𐌰𐌱𐌰𐌿𐍂 (frumabaur)), enbor "only child" (compare 𐌰𐌹𐌽𐌰𐌱𐌰𐌿𐍂 (ainabaur)), louz "lot, share; fate; inheritance" (< *hlautiz), and gaborthword "genealogy" (compare 𐌲𐌰𐌱𐌰𐌿𐍂𐌸𐌹𐍅𐌰𐌿𐍂𐌳 (gabaurþiwaurd)).

As usual, I'm hoping to be able to read through and comment on what other participants have posted this past week within the next few days or so. [:D]
The user formerly known as "shimobaatar".
(she)
Jackk
roman
roman

Post by Jackk »

31st Lexember

ubictað "ubiquity"

ubictað /ˌi.bɪkˈtaθ/ [ˌi.bɪkˈtah]
- ubiquity, omnipresence, the quality of being everywhere;
- totalism, universalism, ideology characterised by the application of principles uniformly in all contexts;
- Ubiquity, a particular ideology which rose to prominence in the late nineteenth century and defined one pole of global power through the twentieth

Etymology: late medieval borrowing from non-classical Latin ubīquitās "ubiquity", nominal derivation of ubīque "everywhere". Applied in philosophical contexts throughout the Latinate Vetomund from the sixteenth century, and used in particular for Ubiquity (originally as an insult) in 1848, in the translation of lady explorer Poshack Nerwaman's dismissive critique of political developments in Mashick [*Mexico].

Ubictað ablegau mell'yam deur Ommad.
/ˌi.bɪkˈtaθ ˌa.bleˈgo mɛˈljam ˈdawr ɔˈmad/
[ˌi.bɪkˈtah ˌa.blɪˈgo mɪˈljam ˈda.wɐʀ‿ʊˈmad]
ubiquity expel-pst 3s.gen-uncle out.of Ommad
Ubiquity drove my uncle from Ommad.
terram impūram incolāmus
hamteu un mont sug
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Shaleyan

DAY 25

shohalas: sunrise
sho, towards + halas, sun

Shohalas akhahas en nowunus khush.
sunrise upon 3p party stop
Come sunrise, we stopped partying.

Bonus word: nowunus: (A) to party

DAY 26

hoya: away from
hoyahalas: sunset
hoya + halas

Yeph ñol is zesheyo hoyahalas akhahas Khanuka zuz.
this year in sunset tonight sunset upon Chanukkah end
This year, Chanukkah ends at sunset tonight.

Bonus words: zesheyo, tonight (portmanteau of zewum, today and sheyo, night)
Khanuka: Chanukkah (Terran borrowing)

DAY 27

Pasukuwa: Easter
Borrowing from Spanish

Pasukuwa ba Mophasha ño Shaleyob yunim Pasukuwa lay?
Easter of kelp_bunny with Shaleyan celebrate Easter Q
Do Shaleyans celebrate Easter with the Easter Kelp Bunny?

The kelp bunny is a kelp-munching aquatic creature of Shaleya, from the same phylum as the lepuma (cartilaginous skeleton and all). It has a head and ears like a rabbit, but no lapine feet. Think of it as a mermaid-bunny.

DAY 28

señu: (P) to come of age
deroved from seña, world

Kosok ninilod ba sala is señu ab ba yonal.
great division of time at come_of_age 1s of generation
My generation is coming of age at a time of great division.

Bonus words: kosok: great (~ conflict)
ninilod: division, disunity (nin, not + ilod, unity)

DAY 29

philikh: (P) to graduate; graduation
phi, up + likh, rung; step

Sad obula, yokh is depukh has philikh ab ba nasak da da Liz.
two thousand four in college from graduate 1s of sister 1* *1 Liz
My sister Liz graduated college in 2004.

DAY 30

ñenakhe: civic
ñenakh, citizen + -e, adjectivizing suffix
ñenakheñosu: republic
ñenakhe + ñosu, state, as in nation
ñenakheñosi: republican
ñenakheñosu + -i, suffix for adherent of an ideology

Damas Dashephason hel ñenakheñosi; al nin peni iledakh.
Thomas Jefferson COP republican 3s.ANIM NEG want king
Thomas Jefferson was a republican; he did not want a king.

DAY 31

phiyu: (T) to anticipate, to look forward to; eve

Kaliphoña an akha mekash hel Osey Ñol ba Phiyu.
California in moment still COP new year of eve
It is still New Year's Eve in California.

Bonus word: Kaliphoña: California (Terran borrowing)

NEW GRAMMAR: Sak (the usual pronoun for "it" -- an inanimate third-person singular) is not used for "it" in statements such as "It is raining". That would just be expressed as Duñoy. (the verb "to rain"). (Such verbs are considered patientive in Shaleyan, for one can say such things as Duñoy en. (We watched it rain).)

Nor would one use sak when talking about the time. Rather, make the subject akha (moment), and place the time after hel (to be):

Shaleya an akha hel Dañaw.
Shaleya on moment COP Dañaw
It was Dañaw on Shaleya.

At the end of last Lexember, Shaleyan had gone up to 3,224 words. Now, Shaleyan is up to 3,386 words -- the third largest Leholang's lexicon after Achel's 4,000+ and Kankonian's 80,000+.
Last edited by Khemehekis on 01 Jan 2023 05:15, edited 4 times in total.
♂♥♂♀

Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Iyionaku wrote: 31 Dec 2022 12:36
Khemehekis wrote: 31 Dec 2022 09:20
Yes, it is! I like going out and meeting friends, I'm not really shy either, but after a couple days without "me-time" I start to get super irritable, I get issues listening to people or sometimes forget to even respond if I'm asked questions. Then I need hours or a day for myself to falna [:)]
Ah, I see.
Æn'aoparda vinét æ'iavuna o'mepeʻin can cenim îypi. Æ'miatcadietuma vinét æ'iavuna on'îypi can to mepeʻin.
[ənaʊ̯ˈpaɾdɐ vɨˈneːt əɪ̯ɐˈʋuːnɐ ɔ̈məˈpeːʔɨn kɐn ˈkeːnɨm ˈiɕpi | əmɪ̯ɐˌkaːdɪ̯əˈtuːmɐ vɨˈneːt əɪ̯ɐˈʋuːnɐ ɔ̈ˈniçpi kɐn to məˈpeːʔɨn]
DEF.CONC=patriotism be_like-3SG DEF.CONC=love.family DEF.GEN=parent-PL for 3PL.POSS toddler | DEF.CONC=nationalism be_like-3SG DEF.CONC=love.family DEF.GEN=toddler for 3SG.MASC.POSS parent-PL
Patriotism is like the love of parents for their toddler. Nationalism is like the love of a toddler for his parents.
This is great; did you come up with this quote? (You're the only Google hit for "Patriotism is like the love of parents for their toddler", so . . .)
♂♥♂♀

Glenn
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by Glenn »

I participated in Lexember here for the first time last year; I had hoped to do so again this year, but life got in the way, and I did not have the time or the creative energy to come up with a word every day. I did however, come up with words for the first three days (Dec. 1-3, for the theme of “Threes”), and I wanted to try and share them before the year was up.

Chusole:

Day 1:

shu /ʃu/ – three

Day 2:

shuliutá /ʃu.lju.'tha/ – trio, group of three people

= shu “three” + liuto “person” + (animate collective suffix)

Day 3:

shuholontoh /'ʃu.hol.on.thoh/ ['ʃu.hol.ɔn.thox] – carriage pulled by three horses

= shu “three” + holon “horse” + -toh (inanimate agentive suffix)

(c.f. Russian тройка troika, of similar meaning and construction)

I am sorry that I do not have more to offer, but I wanted to go and ahead and post these, now that I have the chance.

Happy New Year everyone, and best wishes for the year ahead!
Man in Space
roman
roman

Post by Man in Space »

Lexember 30: hanrir ‘to end; finish, end; (plural) result(s)’
Twin Aster megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

CC = Common Caber
CK = Classical Khaya
CT = Classical Ĝare n Tim Ar
Kg = Kgáweq'
PB = Proto-Beheic
PO = Proto-O
PTa = Proto-Taltic
STK = Sisỏk Tlar Kyanà
Tm = Təmattwəspwaypksma
Knox Adjacent
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Knox Adjacent »

Day 31
?-wurcun̪ n. New Year's Eve
"year-tree.stump"
?-wurkaɲay n. New Year's Day
"year-seed"

And done.
Last edited by Knox Adjacent on 11 Jul 2023 07:34, edited 1 time in total.
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

So I've been absent for a bit because I've been reworking HTAP to have a bit of 'diachrony' behind it, and now that I'm (sort of) finished with that, I'm gonna post some Lexember words
Lexember 20-31
20 köj3 /kəɕ˥˩/ land, ground (as opposed to water, sky, underground) from *təŋgáyskik
21 e̋k2döng3öj2 /ɤ:k˥dəŋ˥˩əɕ˥/ forest (biome) from *əypítkəd təŋgáyskik; əypítkəd > rék1
22 gruák1 /gʷɻa:k˩/ frog, onomatopoeic coining from *ga˥ɾag˩
23 chê3 /cʰɛ:˥˩/ stream, from *kəyódim
24 hwôr2 ôm3chay1/w̥ɔ:ɻ˥ ɔːm˧˩˥t͡ɕʰaj˧/ shade
-
25 hwôr2/hwò[p t k]1 /w̥ɔ:ɻ˥/, /w̥ɔ[ptk]˩/ (assimilates behind plosives) deadjectival Nominalizer from *woyd
26 kuöö4 /kʷə:˩˥/ people, nation, ethnicity from *də'wəbi
27 sòk2 phí kuöö4 -- folk music 'songs of the people'
28 töyt1 /təjt˩/food from *tiyətdəw
29 kis3 /kis˥˩/ stomach, belly, paunch from *giwsdayt
30 yat2 /jat˥/ rite, ritual, celebration from *nattəy
31 pu3-cang2 /pu˥˩t͡ɕaŋ˥/ to drink, to sip

My next, post-Lexember step is to work out how verbs will work
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Jackk wrote: 31 Dec 2022 05:24 Mell'acquetta er çarvinot ramenant starc.
/mɛˌla.kwɛˈta ɛr ˌtsar.viˈnɔt ˌra.meˈnant stark/
[mɪˌla.kwɪˈta ɛː ˌtsɑː.vɪˈnɔt ˌʀa.mɪˈnan stɑːk]
1s.gen-liqueur cop.pst raspberry evoke-p.pst strong
My liqueur tasted strongly of raspberries.
I chuckled at the word for liqueur being acquetta, because there's a new-age musician named Aquetta in Inner Bruise.
♂♥♂♀

Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

So, this Lexember was once again a big success for the Yélian dictionary. I could add a total of 172 new entries to the lexicon, pushing it to a total of 6,415 entries. I might be able to reach 7,000 before the language's 10th birthday in spring 2024!
Khemehekis wrote: 01 Jan 2023 04:03
This is great; did you come up with this quote? (You're the only Google hit for "Patriotism is like the love of parents for their toddler", so . . .)
Haha, I wished, but no. I have definitely read it somewhere, but I couldn't remember how the quote went properly so I needed to paraphrase. I googled too to find who I need to quote here, but I didn't get further than you either.