How can I create articles and how can I expand on them.

If you're new to these arts, this is the place to ask "stupid" questions and get directions!
NecroGothika
rupestrian
rupestrian

How can I create articles and how can I expand on them.

Post by NecroGothika »

For my first conlang I want to evolve articles both definite and indefinite. I want to know how to do that and expand on them like having them gendered and maybe even having some case influence on the articles. Any tips on how to evolve these and how to proceed?
Arayaz
roman
roman

Re: How can I create articles and how can I expand on them.

Post by Arayaz »

Welcome to the board!

The origin of the articles in the Romance languages is a good start. Spanish el and la come from demonstratives ("that one"), and un and una from the word for "one." If your demonstratives and/or numerals distinguish gender, you'll get gender automatically. Same story with case; if the word for "one" inflects for case, your indefinite article can inflect for case too.

The plural definite article can come from the third person plural pronoun (cf. colloquial English "I don't like them peas").
Proud member of the myopic-trans-southerner-Viossa-girl-with-two-cats-who-joined-on-September-6th-2022 gang

:con: 2c2ef0 Ruykkarraber family Areyaxi family Arskiilz Kahóra Makihip-ŋAħual family Abisj
my garbage

she/her
NecroGothika
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by NecroGothika »

Do you have some further readings on this?
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

Here is a dissertation on the typology of articles, which I think includes some diachronic thoughts as well: https://laurabecker.gitlab.io/papers/ar ... efinal.pdf.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]