Fonts

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
chris_notts
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Fonts

Post by chris_notts »

One thing I've been struggling with recently is nicer font(s) for my PDF grammars. I got a bit bored of Times clones like Libertine/Libertinus so I looked at various other old style serif fonts, but the issue is that many free fonts are either terrible at rendering combining characters, or are missing some IPA characters, or have a limited range of weights etc. You just need to look at how many of the fonts here on Google Fonts can correctly render "p͡f t͡s t͡ɬ t͡ʃ": https://fonts.google.com/... many either don't do it, or get the alignment of the tie bar wrong half the time.

You can also try https://fonts.adobe.com/fonts if you want, and on Adobe you can filter for IPA compatibility, although some there are definitely not free... but the list returned is somewhat short.

Free options on Google Fonts which are possibly OK: EB Garamond, Gentium, maybe Cardo (but it seems to lack bold italics?).

Noto Serif and Tinos seem to do OK on the rendering of the test string, but they're not very attractive. Most SIL fonts apart from Gentium render IPA just fine, but are mediocre to ugly in appearance, at least to my eye.

Big system fonts (on Windows at least) which correctly render common IPA but are somewhat uninteresting: Times New Roman, Calibri.

Which fonts are other people using? Is there anything else nice out there that doesn't make a mess of half the common combining characters?
chris_notts
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Re: Fonts

Post by chris_notts »

This page compares various open source fonts which are good for IPA characters:

https://www.vulgarlang.com/ipafonts/

Of these, EB Garamond looks the best by far to me, and it's also the one I'm currently using.
Man in Space
roman
roman

Post by Man in Space »

If I need IPA, I tend to use either Helvetica or Computer Modern. I much prefer TT Marxiana, but its limited character set is a challenge.
Twin Aster megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

CC = Common Caber
CK = Classical Khaya
CT = Classical Ĝare n Tim Ar
Kg = Kgáweq'
PB = Proto-Beheic
PO = Proto-O
PTa = Proto-Taltic
STK = Sisỏk Tlar Kyanà
Tm = Təmattwəspwaypksma
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

Gentium Plus was/is a free font that had a hefty character set. As mentioned above, it's also a free font in Google Suite. Another free font, Avdira, was very slick with very nice Cyrillic and Greek characters, though I think it did not do extended IPA.
Arayaz
roman
roman

Post by Arayaz »

chris_notts wrote: 03 Aug 2023 21:52 This page compares various open source fonts which are good for IPA characters:

Of these, EB Garamond looks the best by far to me, and it's also the one I'm currently using.
A fellow EBG user, hi! I love EBG; the only font that could possibly compare is Alegreya, which doesn't have most IPA characters. (My Laakitlantu grammar is in EBG.)
Proud member of the myopic-trans-southerner-Viossa-girl-with-two-cats-who-joined-on-September-6th-2022 gang

:con: 2c2ef0 Ruykkarraber family Areyaxi family Arskiilz Makihip-ŋAħual family Kahóra Abisj
my garbage

she/her
chris_notts
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by chris_notts »

Üdj wrote: 04 Aug 2023 16:11
chris_notts wrote: 03 Aug 2023 21:52 This page compares various open source fonts which are good for IPA characters:

A fellow EBG user, hi! I love EBG; the only font that could possibly compare is Alegreya, which doesn't have most IPA characters. (My Laakitlantu grammar is in EBG.)
Interestingly, there's an Alegreya Sans which might make a decent title/header counterpart to EBG? For headers, the lack of IPA doesn't really matter.
Reyzadren
greek
greek

Post by Reyzadren »

In my conlang descriptions that include IPA symbols, I use the Source Sans Pro font instead.
Image conlang summary | Image griushkoent thread
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

I find Palatino to be quite elegant and distinct, and it has strong IPA support. When I want to convince myself that my conlang's orthography isn't irredeemably ugly, I type a bit of it in Palatino [:P] It comes preloaded on Apple products, but I don't know how accessible it is for non-Apple users.
Arayaz
roman
roman

Post by Arayaz »

Dormouse559 wrote: 10 Aug 2023 23:17 I find Palatino to be quite elegant and distinct, and it has strong IPA support. When I want to convince myself that my conlang's orthography isn't irredeemably ugly, I type a bit of it in Palatino [:P] It comes preloaded on Apple products, but I don't know how accessible it is for non-Apple users.
I have added it to my font set! It is beautiufl.
Proud member of the myopic-trans-southerner-Viossa-girl-with-two-cats-who-joined-on-September-6th-2022 gang

:con: 2c2ef0 Ruykkarraber family Areyaxi family Arskiilz Makihip-ŋAħual family Kahóra Abisj
my garbage

she/her