What did you accomplish today?

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Nel Fie
cuneiform
cuneiform

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by Nel Fie »

I guess I made some progress on my diachronic conlanging application today, although it mostly consisted of backtracking to ensure that special symbols used in writing sound rules, such as "[" or "#", can be edited by the user to be something else if they need to be freed for some reason. The refactoring was no big deal, but figuring out how to make the values accessible was a bit more of a headscratcher.
:deu: Native (Swabian) | :fra: Native (Belgian) | :eng: Fluent | :rus: Beginner
DeviantArt | YouTube | Tumblr
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Khemehekis wrote: 29 Jul 2023 08:53
elemtilas wrote: 29 Jul 2023 05:05
Khemehekis wrote: 27 Jul 2023 22:56
eldin raigmore wrote: 27 Jul 2023 19:41 That sounds very interesting!
….
What’s “hippogonal” ?
When I read that post, I looked it up on Wiktionary:

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/hippogonal

Learned a new word today!

The hippo- part comes from the fact that knights are shaped like horses.
Alright. Imma gonna work on a board game that involves hippoppoppotamussesses and come up with all sorts of ogonalistic words to describe the various moves.

Thanks mate! [<3]
You're welcome.

Will your hippopotami angrily ram into things -- charging? The Angry, Angry, Hippos trope!
Yes. That would be the superhippopotogonal charge. Up two, over one; up two, back one.
elemtilas
runic
runic

Post by elemtilas »

Lambuzhao wrote: 29 Jul 2023 16:04 It can be played with lines, matchsticks, pebbles, marbles, checkers, chesspieces, bits of stuff, paperclips (but not rubberbands nor thumbtacks), spare change, Monopoly pieces, Skittles, M & Ms, Goldberg Chocolate Chews, plastic dinosaurs, nuts, raisins, birthday candles, gummis, old medications in pill form, twigs, metal slugs, very small and delicate origamis, kosher sea salt crystals, whole cardamoms or nutmegs (but not star-anises nor rolls of cinnamon bark), pieces of hard old romano cheese, green army soldiers, stolen credit cards,… almost anything that can be arranged into the ineffable pyramid of 1-3-5-7.
That game sounds very familiar indeed!

Also, greetings as we pass, ploiogonally, in the night!
Arayaz
roman
roman

Post by Arayaz »

This is my 500th post on the forum ... that's an accomplishment, I guess!
Proud member of the myopic-trans-southerner-Viossa-girl-with-two-cats-who-joined-on-September-6th-2022 gang

:con: 2c2ef0 Ruykkarraber family Areyaxi family Arskiilz Kahóra Makihip-ŋAħual family Abisj
my garbage

she/her
Man in Space
roman
roman

Post by Man in Space »

I have, after a brief consult with The World Lexicon of Grammaticalization, decided that in CT, the causative of status cannot be used to form a standard causative. That is handled with a serial verb construction involving the verb toḫ 'give'. Due to the way SVCs work in CT—pertinently, the verb phrase is VO; you can basically just concatenate verbs in sequence, and those verbs in sequence can take direct objects—the party so instigated ends up as the direct object of toḫ, and then you can call the actual thing they were instigated to act upon as the direct object of the next (or whatever appropriate) verb.

toḫ irü hé méḫ kołhán n érí sihtí ü m hé
toḫ
gve
irü
CONT.PERF
3SG
méḫ
appreciate
kołhán
sorrow
n
GEN
érí
3PL
sihtí
death
ü
DEF
n
GEN
3SG

'her death caused him to understand their sorrow'

Also I added quite a bit to the CT reference grammar. North of 30 pages, plus front matter.
Twin Aster megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

CC = Common Caber
CK = Classical Khaya
CT = Classical Ĝare n Tim Ar
Kg = Kgáweq'
PB = Proto-Beheic
PO = Proto-O
PTa = Proto-Taltic
STK = Sisỏk Tlar Kyanà
Tm = Təmattwəspwaypksma
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

elemtilas wrote: 07 Aug 2023 01:49
Lambuzhao wrote: 29 Jul 2023 16:04 It can be played with lines, matchsticks, pebbles, marbles, checkers, chesspieces, bits of stuff, paperclips (but not rubberbands nor thumbtacks), spare change, Monopoly pieces, Skittles, M & Ms, Goldberg Chocolate Chews, plastic dinosaurs, nuts, raisins, birthday candles, gummis, old medications in pill form, twigs, metal slugs, very small and delicate origamis, kosher sea salt crystals, whole cardamoms or nutmegs (but not star-anises nor rolls of cinnamon bark), pieces of hard old romano cheese, green army soldiers, stolen credit cards,… almost anything that can be arranged into the ineffable pyramid of 1-3-5-7.
That game sounds very familiar indeed!

Also, greetings as we pass, ploiogonally, in the night!
¡ploiogonalmente… claro que sí!
Tack ye shipslantwise, ahoy!
[xD] [thumbs up]
Spoiler:
yoho
lsd
greek
greek

Post by lsd »

I made some wharol soup...
Keenir
mayan
mayan

Post by Keenir »

I made an abjad, with and without vowels.

lsd wrote: 09 Aug 2023 18:14 I made some wharol soup...
quite neat!
At work on Apaan: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4799
lsd
greek
greek

Post by lsd »

thx...
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Wharol? You mean Warhol?
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 90,000 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
zyma
korean
korean

Post by zyma »

Khemehekis wrote: 09 Aug 2023 21:48 Wharol? You mean Warhol?
Given the soup can, I figure it's probably safe to assume that was indeed just a typo for "Warhol".
The user formerly known as "shimobaatar".
(she)
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

shimobaatar wrote: 09 Aug 2023 21:53
Khemehekis wrote: 09 Aug 2023 21:48 Wharol? You mean Warhol?
Given the soup can, I figure it's probably safe to assume that was indeed just a typo for "Warhol".
Yeah, that was what I thought, since Andy Warhol famously painted Campbell's soup. But moving the aitch two spaces earlier is a pretty strange misspelling (especially since we pronounce the /h/ after the R).
♂♥♂♀

lsd
greek
greek

Post by lsd »

shimobaatar wrote: 09 Aug 2023 21:53a typo for "Warhol"
and I've been doing it all day...
(second accomplishment of the day...)
zyma
korean
korean

Post by zyma »

Man in Space wrote: 08 Aug 2023 08:59 I have, after a brief consult with The World Lexicon of Grammaticalization, decided that in CT, the causative of status cannot be used to form a standard causative. That is handled with a serial verb construction involving the verb toḫ 'give'. Due to the way SVCs work in CT—pertinently, the verb phrase is VO; you can basically just concatenate verbs in sequence, and those verbs in sequence can take direct objects—the party so instigated ends up as the direct object of toḫ, and then you can call the actual thing they were instigated to act upon as the direct object of the next (or whatever appropriate) verb.

toḫ irü hé méḫ kołhán n érí sihtí ü m hé
toḫ
gve
irü
CONT.PERF
3SG
méḫ
appreciate
kołhán
sorrow
n
GEN
érí
3PL
sihtí
death
ü
DEF
n
GEN
3SG

'her death caused him to understand their sorrow'

Also I added quite a bit to the CT reference grammar. North of 30 pages, plus front matter.
Cool! In addition to the construction itself, I really like how you were able to get the bolded text to line up with the gloss. It looks very nice.
The user formerly known as "shimobaatar".
(she)
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

Khemehekis wrote: 09 Aug 2023 21:59 Yeah, that was what I thought, since Andy Warhol famously painted Campbell's soup. But moving the aitch two spaces earlier is a pretty strange misspelling (especially since we pronounce the /h/ after the R).
I’ve heard L1 speakers pronounce it with silent h.
Keenir
mayan
mayan

Post by Keenir »

[img]https://preview.redd.it/jyls89tr13hb1.j ... 404609f5d1
I confess, I didn't think of the artist...i figured it was just a kind of soup, and nothing more.
At work on Apaan: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4799
Arayaz
roman
roman

Post by Arayaz »

Keenir wrote: 11 Aug 2023 07:49
[img]https://preview.redd.it/jyls89tr13hb1.j ... 404609f5d1
I confess, I didn't think of the artist...i figured it was just a kind of soup, and nothing more.
same...
Proud member of the myopic-trans-southerner-Viossa-girl-with-two-cats-who-joined-on-September-6th-2022 gang

:con: 2c2ef0 Ruykkarraber family Areyaxi family Arskiilz Kahóra Makihip-ŋAħual family Abisj
my garbage

she/her
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

DesEsseintes wrote: 11 Aug 2023 03:09
Khemehekis wrote: 09 Aug 2023 21:59 Yeah, that was what I thought, since Andy Warhol famously painted Campbell's soup. But moving the aitch two spaces earlier is a pretty strange misspelling (especially since we pronounce the /h/ after the R).
I’ve heard L1 speakers pronounce it with silent h.
That's odd, I've never heard it that way.
♂♥♂♀

WeepingElf
greek
greek

Post by WeepingElf »

I have made an important change to Albic historical phonology. So far, I assumed that Proto-Hesperic *e merged with *a in Albic, but I have now decided that in most cases at least, it merges with *i instead. This has some consequences:

1. Front vowels will be more common in the Albic languages than previously imagined, given the languages a brighter sound.
2. The PIE qualitative ablaut is preserved as e- and o-grade no longer merge (PIE *o has merged with *a in Hesperic).
3. The Albic plural suffix -i "automatically" evolves from Proto-Hesperic *-eh (which is in turn from PIE *-es).
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
kiwikami
roman
roman
Location: Oh, I don't know, I'm probably around here somewhere.

Post by kiwikami »

Keenir wrote: 18 Jul 2023 09:34Congratulations on the defending and (belatedly) on the graduations.
Khemehekis wrote: 18 Jul 2023 23:24 Congratulations on staying with linguistics, Kiwikami! And the dissertation as well!
Lambuzhao wrote: 24 Jul 2023 18:07I give you many Congratulations and ma'amoul Cakes without fathom!
shimobaatar wrote: 25 Jul 2023 17:14Congratulations!
Thanks, y'all!
eldin raigmore wrote: 18 Jul 2023 19:10I wish I had (or could) finish mine!
Congratulations!
Who was on your committee?
My committee was Jason Riggle, Sharese King, and Diane Brentari - all excellent phonology and (socio)phonetics people!

Been moving apartments lately, not a ton of time to conlang. (I have a two-year teaching fellowship here so I'm not moving far, but I was in student housing, so I had to head a whole one block down the street to a new place that is very slightly worse in nearly every way. Ah well.) But I'm relaxing in-between rounds of unpacking by doing a bit of translation - my writing this summer was often done to the music of Sassafrass, a Chicago folk group that a decade or so ago made an album based on the death of Baldr and onset of Ragnarök. A good few of their songs are delightful polyphonic earworms, and I do like any excuse to translate lyrics, as they're so often poetic and therefore difficult to make sound good in translation.

Kuzaḳ : Rǐraẓı sıúm.
Winter - a storm approaches.
Hà·Usìkà ktazlá·ṣasa trıklıúm. Ṭuhàx:
Some stranger collapsed at my home's threshold. He cried out:
⋮Imàıs! Á·zázakzaẓa kaḳu! Is·Hkahkìḳàx xmımaí x·tírẓıraḳ múmú·xraḳu!⋮
"Shelter! The ocean waves have frozen! A wise man hides when the thunder-chains rattle!"
Zatımẓaıàx aẓáh : Tatuhìrmaàx hıràì.
I offered him a feast, I brought him in from the snow.
Kàmàx rú Haımzazısâraax kazıuraì.
I asked my only child to set three mats around the table.
Ḷí·sa Ḳrîthaax xaıhám trım. Laılàx:
But the stranger frowned kindly. He said:
Altáh lıúuà, ıs·rá x·ṭítraı samı Mzulrùrzusıḳràuàx...
"Honorable host, that would be unwise; indeed, as the storm bites, all three of us should sit close to..."

Iì Ḳúmıḳàır : Ḳúmıḳàır : ùḳ·mzáa kuáḳ ù·sa ı'ḳàır.
  {Ikàì : ktazıı·kàì : Zkûkıḷàx aṭìtaḷ.}
Oh (the) hearthfire, hearthfire; fire is a friend walling off the cold.
  {Little child, my little blizzard-child, set alight your prison cell.}
Hazuhàu : Ẓahuhàu : Skuùh!
  {Ẓûkah·maûḳam ùxrıtúḳmaıh ıs·sa kírúr.}
Peace-fire, feast-fire, play!
  {Feast upon those who bind you, and their children.}
Ḳıklaklàır : ḳılsılsàır : 'mà·Kaùktìṭıu·kûax ı'hàır.
  {Ṭazíllılıí : Ùhamul·ṭâḳamh lıẓukı.}
Here-fire, now-fire, bring us through the dark (and) away from misery.
  {Long ago, I was free. I turned forests into ash.}
Ùurr·Ilùruaı tlatràa hatraṭu·ḳamu.
  {Mûır·karuamàx, kír, ẓìtlu·ḷıusǐklur.}
Dance only within the stories and the stone circles that we made for you.
  {Little child, steal back that eternal birthright of yours.}

Spoiler:
There are two roots for fire: ḲIR for those set intentionally, and HUR̀ for those not. HUR̀ is older, and is the root for many fire-related terms, even some that are in fact manmade (e.g. hıuṭǔau 'row of torches / wall sconces', huḳàù 'chandelier', hùtà 'flint and steel', hûhu 'stack of firewood'). As a verb, it also means to jump about, behave erratically, or be impulsive (e.g. Á·Hıùḳàma láṭ kì 'The child is jumping about the room', Ahà·Huùrsǔı zàa 'I find you overly capricious'). But HUR̀ on its own exclusively refers to natural fires (huár 'wildfire').

ḲIR has its own share of derivations (e.g ḳìḳaır 'match', ḳıurarı 'oven', ḳırakaxa 'fireplace log', kırıḳırur 'barbecue', ḳızar 'improvised weapon' [through semantic change from 'lye']). Its intransitive verbal form means to tend such a fire (Ḳazırlısaı mílraıa 'I'm tending the fire while he sleeps'); it also has a transitive form, meaning to supervise or watch over (Azùrùlaı, mulas Ḳímraı ḳrılàut mlúammaır? 'If you're here, who the hell is watching the cows?'). Alone, ḳarı generally refers to a fireplace; ḳúmıḳàır is specifically a fireplace used for cooking as well as for warmth, typically the centerpoint of a house in cold regions - i.e. a hearthfire.
Edit: Substituted a string instrument for a French interjection.

:eng: :mrgreen: | :fra: [:)] | ASL [:S] | :deu: [:|] | :tan: [:(] | :nav: [:'(]