The Sixth Conversation Thread

What can I say? It doesn't fit above, put it here. Also the location of board rules/info.
Arayaz
roman
roman

Re: The Sixth Conversation Thread

Post by Arayaz »

Khemehekis wrote: 26 Sep 2023 00:16 (Ani Yehudi.)
I as well. I haven't fasted before for Yom Kippur, but I am this year. It's about as hard as I expected.
Proud member of the myopic-trans-southerner-Viossa-girl-with-two-cats-who-joined-on-September-6th-2022 gang

:con: 2c2ef0 Areyaxi family Arskiilz Kahóra
my garbage Ɛĭ3

she/her
WeepingElf
greek
greek

Post by WeepingElf »

A Happy European Day of Languages to everyone!
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
Arayaz
roman
roman

Post by Arayaz »

WeepingElf wrote: 26 Sep 2023 13:20 A Happy European Day of Languages to everyone!
Oh my gosh, that's a thing?
Proud member of the myopic-trans-southerner-Viossa-girl-with-two-cats-who-joined-on-September-6th-2022 gang

my garbage Ɛĭ3

she/her
Salmoneus
MVP
MVP

Post by Salmoneus »

My brain (which clearly feels itself wasted when I'm awake) made three interesting points to me while I was dreaming last night.

Firstly, an interesting thing happened while we were fighting the English Civil War (which ended up being a cricket match, obviously). Which is that a key battle was lost because the commanding officer and his aide decided to personally scout out the terrain early before the battle, and got trapped on a difficult muddy slope when they accidentally intimidated a mother warthog and its child, and it took them hours to be able to navigate around the warthog (since any attempt to leave involved going toward the warthog, which made it think they were a threat to their young). By the time they escaped, the battle was almost over and their side, lacking strategy or leadership, had lost badly.

This has never happened in history to my knowledge but, my brain then smugly insisted to me, it totally could have. Commanding officers DID sometimes personally inspect the battlefield and surrounding area, and several animals would have the potential to keep a few humans pinned down for quite some time if they thought their young were in danger. Maybe not warthogs in European history, but boar, bears, even a herd of cows. Could totally happen!

Then, reflecting on the resulting overthrow of the monarchy and institution of the protectorate, my brain made the insightful-seeming observation that even Alexander was fearful of his generals, yet Cromwell, despite the instability around him, was effectively untouchable, and may have been one of the most absolute rulers ever.

I have no idea whether that's true or not, but I was impressed by how informed and insightful it sounded.

Then it took a wrong turn and it started going on about the word "caporette", and how it referred to a person who has personal, first-hand experience of warfare that permanently sets them apart from those who have never been in a battle themselves, and how this word originally specifically indicated a veteran of the battle of Caporetto (on the Italian front of WWI).

Now, WWI didn't happen during the English civil war, so this was a bit anachronistic. And so far as I'm aware there is not and never has been such a word, 'caporette'.

Nonetheless: where the hell did that come from!? I'm impressed my brain even knows about the battle of Caporetto, let alone is able to folk-etymologise fictional coinages from it! I'm not sure I know about Caporetto. I had to double-check that it was a real battle, when I woke up. I doubt I've seen it heard or mentioned more than maybe once in the last twenty years. Yes, I think there was half a page about it in a textbook in school, and I am vaguely aware of the existence of the Italian Front, but that's it.

Except... it turns out Caporetto DID become a byword in Italian, for a disaster or catastrophe. And it turns out the Italian commander WAS incapacitated at the time (though by illness, not by warthog). So... that's just creepy, brain!

[after that, though, the brain gave up its intellectual pretensions and had me working out which people had been infected by mind-controlling aliens, which I did by assuming they were all slices of bread and seeing which ones were stale. Normal sleeping stuff.]

[for those curious: Caporetto is also notable because the battle was in part designed by Otto Hahn himself (the father of nuclear fission). That's because it began with a massive poison gas attack. And one of the young lieutenants at the battle, a certain Ernst Rommel, won an award for his performance there, and later analysed the tactics in his influential memoirs.]
Arayaz
roman
roman

Post by Arayaz »

Salmoneus wrote: 26 Sep 2023 15:32 My brain (which clearly feels itself wasted when I'm awake) made three interesting points to me while I was dreaming last night.

Firstly, an interesting thing happened while we were fighting the English Civil War (which ended up being a cricket match, obviously). Which is that a key battle was lost because the commanding officer and his aide decided to personally scout out the terrain early before the battle, and got trapped on a difficult muddy slope when they accidentally intimidated a mother warthog and its child, and it took them hours to be able to navigate around the warthog (since any attempt to leave involved going toward the warthog, which made it think they were a threat to their young). By the time they escaped, the battle was almost over and their side, lacking strategy or leadership, had lost badly.

This has never happened in history to my knowledge but, my brain then smugly insisted to me, it totally could have. Commanding officers DID sometimes personally inspect the battlefield and surrounding area, and several animals would have the potential to keep a few humans pinned down for quite some time if they thought their young were in danger. Maybe not warthogs in European history, but boar, bears, even a herd of cows. Could totally happen!

Then, reflecting on the resulting overthrow of the monarchy and institution of the protectorate, my brain made the insightful-seeming observation that even Alexander was fearful of his generals, yet Cromwell, despite the instability around him, was effectively untouchable, and may have been one of the most absolute rulers ever.

I have no idea whether that's true or not, but I was impressed by how informed and insightful it sounded.

Then it took a wrong turn and it started going on about the word "caporette", and how it referred to a person who has personal, first-hand experience of warfare that permanently sets them apart from those who have never been in a battle themselves, and how this word originally specifically indicated a veteran of the battle of Caporetto (on the Italian front of WWI).

Now, WWI didn't happen during the English civil war, so this was a bit anachronistic. And so far as I'm aware there is not and never has been such a word, 'caporette'.

Nonetheless: where the hell did that come from!? I'm impressed my brain even knows about the battle of Caporetto, let alone is able to folk-etymologise fictional coinages from it! I'm not sure I know about Caporetto. I had to double-check that it was a real battle, when I woke up. I doubt I've seen it heard or mentioned more than maybe once in the last twenty years. Yes, I think there was half a page about it in a textbook in school, and I am vaguely aware of the existence of the Italian Front, but that's it.

Except... it turns out Caporetto DID become a byword in Italian, for a disaster or catastrophe. And it turns out the Italian commander WAS incapacitated at the time (though by illness, not by warthog). So... that's just creepy, brain!

[after that, though, the brain gave up its intellectual pretensions and had me working out which people had been infected by mind-controlling aliens, which I did by assuming they were all slices of bread and seeing which ones were stale. Normal sleeping stuff.]

[for those curious: Caporetto is also notable because the battle was in part designed by Otto Hahn himself (the father of nuclear fission). That's because it began with a massive poison gas attack. And one of the young lieutenants at the battle, a certain Ernst Rommel, won an award for his performance there, and later analysed the tactics in his influential memoirs.]
Often our minds know things that we do not...
We also have a thread for weird dreams!

my garbage Ɛĭ3

she/her
WeepingElf
greek
greek

Post by WeepingElf »

Üdj wrote: 26 Sep 2023 14:32
WeepingElf wrote: 26 Sep 2023 13:20 A Happy European Day of Languages to everyone!
Oh my gosh, that's a thing?
It is.
My conlang pages
Knox Adjacent
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Knox Adjacent »

Betty left, but at least I can get back to conlanging more.
DesEsseintes
mongolian
mongolian

Post by DesEsseintes »

Knox Adjacent wrote: 30 Sep 2023 20:05 Betty left, but at least I can get back to conlanging more.
Who is Betty?
Man in Space
roman
roman

Post by Man in Space »

DesEsseintes wrote: 01 Oct 2023 14:11
Knox Adjacent wrote: 30 Sep 2023 20:05 Betty left, but at least I can get back to conlanging more.
Who is Betty?
The spaceship from Alien: Resurrection.
Twin Aster megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

CC = Common Caber
CK = Classical Khaya
CT = Classical Ĝare n Tim Ar
Kg = Kgáweq'
PB = Proto-Beheic
PO = Proto-O
PTa = Proto-Taltic
STK = Sisỏk Tlar Kyanà
Tm = Təmattwəspwaypksma
lsd
greek
greek

Post by lsd »

not sure that once the betty has left,
there's much time left for the auriga conlangers
to produce new alien languages...
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

Incidentally, the same holds true for me, just with different pragmatic information, I guess.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius »

I've been obsessing over this bilingual (Latin/very Late Old English) female-audience copy of the Benedictine Rule (c. 1220s South-Western England): https://www.bl.uk/manuscripts/FullDispl ... dius_D_III

It's been recently digitised by the British Library, and I'm still waiting for Bodleian Library, MS Hatton 38 (c. 1160, South-Eastern England?) to go on-line (I want to turn it into a typeable font some day).
The style of the coloured initials and the still not completely fractured script (for comparison, MS Hatton 38: https://www.flickr.com/photos/133734300 ... 295090319/), on the other hand, the Cotton manuscript already forgoes the use of the insular <f>, which descends below the base line (except for one instance in the main text at folio 56r, the rubricator applies it more often).

Anyway, there's been talk that thylacine RNA has been found in and extracted from a Swedish specimen.
I want one, and I'd love to see whether they can be raised by a domesticated canine. [:D]
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com
Knox Adjacent
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Knox Adjacent »

It was the clingy live-in girlfriend, guuuuuys.
Salmoneus
MVP
MVP

Post by Salmoneus »

If any of you are ever thinking of visiting London and wondering what museums we might have here, I just came across this helpful flowchart! (yes, it's on wikipedia, so it's not exactly an abstruse discovery, but if you don't know it exists you probably wouldn't even go looking for it).

It's not complete, unfortunately - one I spotted is that they don't mention the Anaesthesia Museum, for instance - and some of them end up just grouped into blocs when really ideally they'd be explaining the differences, but it's actually a pretty good resource for visitors, even if just to give you some ideas and things to look up. A lot of tourists don't get to a lot of these places not because they're not good or because they're on unpopular subjects but simply because they never even hear about them.

[note also as a warning that some of them - mostly some of the historic houses - aren't necessarily in places you'd automatically think of as being in London. I've been to Down House, for instance (Charles Darwin's house/museum; small, not mind-blowing, but very nice), and didn't realise it was in London at the time - it's within the political borders of London, but slightly outside the built-up area. It's with the TfL public transport area, but it's a good hour from central london.]

[and one thing that would be helpful would be if it distinguished free museums (the majority, obviously) from those where you have to pay an entrance fee.]

So certainly do further research, but it's a good start!

[EDIT: if I had to recommend one to visitors, incidentally, other than the obvious, it would be the Wallace Collection, which is criminally under-known. It's a relatively small house, but it contains a collection of classic art that's probably better than many national collections - Rubens, Rembrandt, Van Dyck, Canaletto, Turner, Titian, Watteau, Velazquez, Gainsborough, Fragonard, Hals, Memling, Delacroix, Boucher, Poussin, Rosa, Reynolds, etc. That's before you get to one of the world's greatest collections of ceramics, an immense collection of (mostly 18th century) fine furniture, and one of the most important collections of historic swords and armour from around the world. All housed in a beautifully-restored Victorian nobleman's house.]

EDIT EDIT: now we just need another of these things for notable churches and other architectural sights...
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

I guess it’s not surprising that a big city would have a whole herd of museums, but it’s still striking to see so many listed so systematically in one place. That section on past and future museums is a neat idea.
Salmoneus wrote: 04 Oct 2023 22:47It's not complete, unfortunately - one I spotted is that they don't mention the Anaesthesia Museum, for instance
I guess you could say they’re … sleeping on it. [B)]
Arayaz
roman
roman

Post by Arayaz »

Did the font change?

my garbage Ɛĭ3

she/her
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

Üdj wrote: 10 Oct 2023 22:42 Did the font change?
Doesn't seem to have done. At least not on my computer
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.
WeepingElf
greek
greek

Post by WeepingElf »

Not on mine, either.
My conlang pages
Arayaz
roman
roman

Post by Arayaz »

Then it's my computer that's the problem; it's a Chromebook and the OS just got an update. It broke the fonts on Gmail too.

my garbage Ɛĭ3

she/her
WeepingElf
greek
greek

Post by WeepingElf »

That may well be the case. I have experienced similar things with OS updates, too (not on a Chromebook, though - I use Ubuntu Linux) - this may happen when the update includes the addition of new fonts that fit the original font of the web site better, so they are from then on used to render it.
My conlang pages