Make Love

A forum for translations, translation challenges etc. Good place to increase your conlang's vocabulary.
BobiBob
rupestrian
rupestrian

Re: Make Love

Post by BobiBob »

eldin raigmore wrote: 14 Nov 2023 15:53
Ossicone wrote: 20 Dec 2012 23:51 I know I've mentioned this before but I still find it amusing.

The first verb is samal. It is used for man on top sex.

Esem apja.
e-sem apʲa
3m-sex.PST 3f.ABS
"He had sex with her."

The second is atjural. It is used for woman on top sex. It is considered the more neutral of the two. (So if you don't know you'd use this one.)

Iratjur epa.
ir-atjur epa
3f-sex.PST 3m.ABS
"She had sex with him."
To my American Standard English trained ears, it sound weird to divide sexual acts into exactly two categories, depending just on who’s on top!
What about sex between a man and someone who isn’t a woman?
Or sex between a woman and someone who isn’t a man?
Do your conspeakers have little or no need to speak of those?
Your observation about the categorization of sexual acts based on who is on top is interesting and highlights the diversity of sexual experiences. In cultures where my conspeakers exist, the perception and categorization of sexual acts are indeed more nuanced and inclusive.
Sex between a man and someone who isn't a woman, or between a woman and someone who isn't a man, is recognized and discussed with equal importance. The linguistic and social frameworks are designed to be inclusive, accommodating a wide spectrum of gender identities and sexual orientations. This inclusivity reflects in the language used to describe relationships and sexual activities, moving beyond binary definitions to embrace a more holistic understanding of human experiences.
In these societies, there's a conscious effort to ensure that language and social norms do not marginalize or oversimplify the complexities of human sexuality. Conversations about sex and relationships are approached with openness and sensitivity, recognizing the unique aspects of each individual's identity and experience.
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

@BobiBob, & @Ossicone :
To me, if there is going to be a binary dichotomy of sexual acts, what “feels” most “natural”, is:
* PIV sex between human adults, vs.
* Every other kind of sex.

That’s subjective, and is not based on any study of cultural diversity on this topic.
So, my subjective “feeling” probably has no bearing on what is or is not objectively “natural”.

Ah, well!
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

eldin raigmore wrote: 15 Nov 2023 15:27 @BobiBob, & @Ossicone :
To me, if there is going to be a binary dichotomy of sexual acts, what “feels” most “natural”, is:
* Every other kind of sex.
By "between human adults", do you mean only sex wherein both partners are over the age of consent? Or do you just mean "sex between postpubescents" (e.g. sex between a 14-year-old and a 15-year-old in Texas)?
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 90,000 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
lsd
greek
greek

Post by lsd »

3SDL:
Õ²
(using male organ...)
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Khemehekis wrote: 17 Nov 2023 04:33
eldin raigmore wrote: 15 Nov 2023 15:27 ….
….
By "between human adults", do you mean only sex wherein both partners are over the age of consent? Or do you just mean "sex between postpubescents" (e.g. sex between a 14-year-old and a 15-year-old in Texas)?
One of those, not sure which. This page intentionally left vague.
….
But note I don’t endorse any binary dichotomy. (Is it necessary to say that a dichotomy is binary?)