Re: Lexember 2023

Post by lurker »

Dawn of the Fifth Day. 616 Hours Remain

rKGrg

[chuff, long falling weakening growl, chuff, short low weak growl]

Noun

1. Surface, especially of a planet or moon
2. the rind of a fruit

This word is used in contrast with <qGKqg> (outer space), especially when discussing people who live aboard orbital colonies ("spacers") with people who live on a planet's surface. The yinrih are practically built for microgravity, having five prehensile extremities (four paws and a tail), but must walk on all fours when planetside.
Last edited by lurker on 06 Dec 2023 03:19, edited 1 time in total.
Imralu
roman
roman

Post by Imralu »

6th of Lexember

zam "be a wheeled vehicle" from the ornative za "with", "having" plus yum "wheel".
zaram "be a large, wheeled vehicle", with the augmentative infix -ar-.

Zam evolved out of tihased (litters/palanquins/sedan chairs) to which wheels were affixed. The basic shape remains, including the bearing poles. There are no animals on Qub that are larger or stronger than the Balog themselves, so horse or cattle-drawn carts never arose and only people power was used. As opposed to a litter, where the bearers, tihuwas, need to both support and propel the vehicle, making travelling at speed very taxing, the "bearers", d(ih)ezam, of a zam only need to propel it and can hang from the poles once speed is achieved, similar to how a skateboard allows once to travel at more or less a running pace using only short bursts of propulsion. As zam became more advanced, steerable wheels were developed as well as riding platforms for the dezam to stand, allowing them to basically skate rather than constantly hang. Rubber-bottomed break pads that are stepped on by the dezam and pushed into the road to slow the speed more effectively and safely are also now standard. Many zam have wheels that can be detached and stored on the roof in the event that they need to be converted back into a litter and carried over rough ground or stairs etc.

A zaram is a large zam operated by more than two dezam ... now called d(ih)ezaram. It may either be particularly luxurious inside, such as those used to transport the emperor and other dignitaries, or may be kitted out to take many paying passengers.

I don't really know how to translate d(ih)ezam. They are equivalent to rickshaw operators and both horse and postillion/coachman, like litter bearers, but they run and hang from the poles or stand on a board and skate the vehicle along. (The infix -ih- indicates customary action, useful to indicate that it is someone's job and not just what they are doing right now.)
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = specific / non-specific, AG = agent, E = entity (person, animal, thing)
________
MY MUSIC | MY PLANTS
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

Lexember 5 - Yélian

iomea [ɪ̯ɔ̈ˈmeː.ɐ] - to sow, to seed
iomǽt [ɪ̯ɔ̈ˈmœːt] - seed, sowing

Etymology: retroactive etymology change. Cross-derivation from iom "peace", and I decreed that the latter word derive from the former, as long peaceful periods are attributed with a steady food income.

Can tyapanuyei gartiuyolétan, nutafírenat raioméi u'iomǽt u Yélvenio*.
[kɐn t͡ʃɐpɐˈnuːʃɛɪ̯ ˈgaɾtɪ̯ʉʃɔ̈ˈleːtɐn, ˈnutɐˌɸiːɾənɐt ɾɐ.ɨ̯ɔ̈ˈmɛɪ̯ ʉɪ̯ɔ̈ˈmœːt u ˈʃelvənɪ̯o]
for POT-harvest-2SG potato-delicious-PL, best_way PROP-sow-2SG DEF.INAN=seed TEMP Yélvenio
In order to harvest delicious potatoes, for the best results you should sow them out between late March and April*.

*) In the Yélian Kingdom, two calendar systems are used in parallel, Gregorian and a native Yélian one. The latter has 365 days and leap years as well, but its 13 months have vastly differing lengths ranging from 4 days (the New Year's Month Ilverquet) and 60 days (the winter month Frostes) The Gregorian calendar is the dominant one in school, business and media, but colloquially the native calendar is still widely used, especially to discuss seasonal events.
The month Yélvenio, which is discussed here, has 42 days and its Gregorian equivalent is the time from March 23 to May 3.
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.
lurker
greek
greek

Post by lurker »

Imralu wrote: 05 Dec 2023 16:23 6th of Lexember

zam "be a wheeled vehicle" from the ornative za "with", "having" plus yum "wheel".
zaram "be a large, wheeled vehicle", with the augmentative infix -ar-.

Zam evolved out of tihased (litters/palanquins/sedan chairs) to which wheels were affixed. The basic shape remains, including the bearing poles. There are no animals on Qub that are larger or stronger than the Balog themselves, so horse or cattle-drawn carts never arose and only people power was used. As opposed to a litter, where the bearers, tihuwas, need to both support and propel the vehicle, making travelling at speed very taxing, the "bearers", d(ih)ezam, of a zam only need to propel it and can hang from the poles once speed is achieved, similar to how a skateboard allows once to travel at more or less a running pace using only short bursts of propulsion. As zam became more advanced, steerable wheels were developed as well as riding platforms for the dezam to stand, allowing them to basically skate rather than constantly hang. Rubber-bottomed break pads that are stepped on by the dezam and pushed into the road to slow the speed more effectively and safely are also now standard. Many zam have wheels that can be detached and stored on the roof in the event that they need to be converted back into a litter and carried over rough ground or stairs etc.

A zaram is a large zam operated by more than two dezam ... now called d(ih)ezaram. It may either be particularly luxurious inside, such as those used to transport the emperor and other dignitaries, or may be kitted out to take many paying passengers.

I don't really know how to translate d(ih)ezam. They are equivalent to rickshaw operators and both horse and postillion/coachman, like litter bearers, but they run and hang from the poles or stand on a board and skate the vehicle along. (The infix -ih- indicates customary action, useful to indicate that it is someone's job and not just what they are doing right now.)
Literal Sedan chairs evolving into cars strikes me as amusing for some reason.

I might have to yoink your customary-agentive suffix destinction. Esperanto does something similar with -anto and -isto I believe
Imralu
roman
roman

Post by Imralu »

lurker wrote: 05 Dec 2023 17:25I might have to yoink your customary-agentive suffix destinction. Esperanto does something similar with -anto and -isto I believe
Yeah, its primary use has more of a connotation of "should" than -isto does and I use it a lot. It more or less provides a non-episodic interpretation and indicates an entity's purpose, not just a habitual action. The use indicating professions is kind of secondary and it is generally only used as such if it is not clear from the context.

tem "be consumed"
tihem "be food"

dek "die suddenly"
dihek "be an insufferable person" (be one who should drop dead)

gad "be protected"
gihad "be cherished", "be valuable", "be a ward/charge/protégé", "be dear"

gal "be killed for pragmatic reasons", "be exterminated"
gihal "be a pest"(e.g. insect); "be a menace" (insult for a person)

guwal "kill for pragmatic reasons", "exterminate", "be an exterminator/pest controller" (-uw- is a causative infix)
gihuwal "be an exterminator/pest controller"

kal "be on fire", "burn", "combust"
kihal "be firewood", "be fuel"

kiyal "catch fire", "begin to burn"
kihiyal "be kindling"

šev "be visible", "be seen"
šihev "be beautiful", "be handsome"

tas "be carried"
tihas "be someone who ought to be carried"
tihased "be a litter/palanquin/sedan chair" (-ed indicates a tool or a body part necessary for the root's action to be performed)

wiyuwiqiyuh "emit the call of a screaming piha"; "be a screaming piha" (Lipaugus vociferans)
wihiyuwiqiyuh "be a screaming piha"
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = specific / non-specific, AG = agent, E = entity (person, animal, thing)
________
MY MUSIC | MY PLANTS
spanick
roman
roman

Post by spanick »

Lexember 5

Yemya
pit /pit/ n. “pen; writing brush” borrowed from Middle Chinese pit

Yinše
wayaá'ač /wajaáʔat͡ʃ/ n. “net (for fishing)” from wayaa “to knot” plus the iterative marker -'at plus the relativizer
lurker
greek
greek

Post by lurker »

Imralu wrote: 05 Dec 2023 19:03
lurker wrote: 05 Dec 2023 17:25I might have to yoink your customary-agentive suffix destinction. Esperanto does something similar with -anto and -isto I believe
Yeah, its primary use has more of a connotation of "should" than -isto does and I use it a lot. It more or less provides a non-episodic interpretation and indicates an entity's purpose, not just a habitual action. The use indicating professions is kind of secondary and it is generally only used as such if it is not clear from the context.

tem "be consumed"
tihem "be food"

dek "die suddenly"
dihek "be an insufferable person" (be one who should drop dead)

gad "be protected"
gihad "be cherished", "be valuable", "be a ward/charge/protégé", "be dear"

gal "be killed for pragmatic reasons", "be exterminated"
gihal "be a pest"(e.g. insect); "be a menace" (insult for a person)

guwal "kill for pragmatic reasons", "exterminate", "be an exterminator/pest controller" (-uw- is a causative infix)
gihuwal "be an exterminator/pest controller"

kal "be on fire", "burn", "combust"
kihal "be firewood", "be fuel"

kiyal "catch fire", "begin to burn"
kihiyal "be kindling"

šev "be visible", "be seen"
šihev "be beautiful", "be handsome"

tas "be carried"
tihas "be someone who ought to be carried"
tihased "be a litter/palanquin/sedan chair" (-ed indicates a tool or a body part necessary for the root's action to be performed)

wiyuwiqiyuh "emit the call of a screaming piha"; "be a screaming piha" (Lipaugus vociferans)
wihiyuwiqiyuh "be a screaming piha"
So I have
lNr
[early rising weak grunt, chuff]
heal (verb)

lNr-g
heal-3.INDEF
[early rising weak grunt, chuff, short low weak growl]
"some person who is currently healing" aka a random passer-by performing first aid.
lNr-m-g
heal-CUSTOMARY-3.INDEF
[early rising weak grunt, chuff, short low strong grunt, short low weak growl]
"a person who heals on a regular basis, but isn't necessarily healing right now" aka a medical professional.

and

cdq
ask (verb)

cdq-g
ask-3.INDEF
someone asking something right now

cdq-m-g
ask-CUSTOMARY-3.INDEF
one who asks generally, a sophont, a being capable of reason and symbolic thought
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

Lexember 4, 5

duk1-duk1 n. hammer

Hëc duk1-duk1 áng4
IMP.LOC hammer do(PRS)
"Stay and hammer [this]"

ğôj3 n., adj snail, spiral; ğôj3loc2, n. screw

Güy2 áng4 om2 duk1duk1 sya1 ğôj3loc2!
NEG do(PRS) 1PL hammer on screw
"We don't hammer screws!"
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
Arayaz
mayan
mayan

Post by Arayaz »

Tuesday, Lexember 5

Theme: Technology, Techniques, Tools, Invention, Innovation, Advancement

Ruykkarraber innar "manner, method"

Serres tresbireg biskeu dusuk naren garun gayr. "You didn't grab the branch safely."
2sg.FRM.III tree-arm-IV grab safe method.II use-II NEG.PST

Tekes nrikat dusuk res-aurig yurides naren garu. "Tek's family has a reliable method of finding hookstalk [a rare plant]."
Tek-III family reliable hook-stalk-IV find-III method.II use
  • Whatever it is a method of can simply be placed in front of it in case III.
  • To say "someone did X in an X manner" (as in the first example, and disguised in the second example), it gets much, much more complicated. The verb is nominalized, placing its absolutive argument into case IV and the ergative argument (if any) into case III. Then it becomes the subject of a sentence using the verb garu "to use," with the innar phrase as the object (and thus inflected into its case II form, which, irregularly, is naren).
Proud member of the myopic-trans-southerner-Viossa-girl-with-two-cats-who-joined-on-September-6th-2022 gang

:con: 2c2ef0 Areyaxi family Arskiilz Kahóra Xúuuatxia Alushi
my garbage Ɛĭ3

she/her
Solarius
roman
roman

Post by Solarius »

Submitted in the nick of (Pacific) time!

thyam [θjam] n. - "adze"
Knox Adjacent
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Knox Adjacent »

Day 5
yu-kampu n. hook (rod bent into curved shape)
yu-ɳimaɭ n. fishhook
zyma
korean
korean

Post by zyma »

Day 6

Hannaito (Entry 6):

djibou /dibou/ [ˈd͡ʑi.bou̯], [ˈd͡ʑi.boː]
Noun:
1. bell
2. bell tower
3. acorn
4. signal, sign
5. summons, calling
6. notice, announcement, news, alert, declaration, proclamation

Etymology
From Proto-Hannaitoan *diyboñ "bell", of onomatopoeic origin. Cognates include Gampyo djībong.
The user formerly known as "shimobaatar".
(she)
Flavia
sinic
sinic

Post by Flavia »

Abaniscen — Lescembel i corer

tanur [tã́ːnuɾ] a plow, to plow

Abaniscen — Lescembel i veley

ilhesci [ʔʲíːɬɛskʲi] to sow, sowing; (programming) input

Abaniscen — Lescembel i telel

iassun [jáːsːũn] to reap, reaping; (programming) output

is ilhesci iassun [isʲíːɬɛski jáːsːũn] you reap what you sow. Introduced by missionaries as a direct translation of the English idiom, it gained popularity among the agrarian Abaniscena of the south.
XIPA
Abaniscen cancasirnemor!
she/her
lurker
greek
greek

Post by lurker »

Dawn of the Sixth Day. 592 Hours Remain
HrBqMqmg

[long low strong growl, chuff, long low weak whine, huff, long low strong grunt, huff, short low strong grunt, short low weak growl]

Etymology
HrBg (nerd) + qMqmg (human).

HrBg is in turn a compound of:
H (no, none, -less) + rBg (ink)

qMqmg is an onomatopoeia of the English word "human".

Noun
A yinrih who is obsessed with human culture

The commonthroat word has a neutral to positive connotation, but it's often translated into English as "terraboo" (a blend of "terra" and "weeaboo") with same negative connotations as "weeaboo".

The word for "nerd" literally means "inkless". The idea is that nerds write a lot, and are thus constantly running out of their own ink. Since yinrih ink is a bodily fluid, it takes time to regenerate. The ink sac stores about as much ink as a fountain pen cartridge.
Last edited by lurker on 06 Dec 2023 23:19, edited 1 time in total.
Pabappa
greek
greek

Post by Pabappa »

Play (day 4)

tapaba, a gemstone. This is more backward progress here, as I had been carrying for many years a set of words for different gemstones, inspired by childhood knowledge of birthstones (for astrology) and by a verse in the Bible. But I realized it was unlikely for a society like the Players, or even any society on the planet at all, to have advanced vocabulary for such things when mining technology is poorly developed and limited to just small areas of the planet.

So I combined the preexisting word for gemstone (from MRCA utit ku, of which the submorphemes have no assigned meanings as of yet) with the preexisting Play word for diamond (from MRCA ku ndugi, where the second morpheme refers to its sharpness), to get a new Play word for gemstones and shiny stones in general, which will be the only word for gems in the language. I assumed that the two /ku/'s were the same morpheme, though as above I haven't assigned a meaning yet. Thus the sound changes, which I wont detail here, lead from MRCA utit ku ndugi to Play tapa, and the -ba is the handheld object suffix.
Makapappi nauppakiba.
The wolf-sheep ate itself. (Play)
Ælfwine
roman
roman

Post by Ælfwine »

Modern Gothic:

таушън tauschen ['tau.Sən] rabbit, hare

tauschen likely is a Wanderwort that was borrowed into Crimean Gothic by way of Crimean Tatar. The word was probably borrowed after the early sound change of au > ø, otherwise we would expect tœschen here.
My Blog

A-posteriori, alternative history nerd
spanick
roman
roman

Post by spanick »

Lexember 6

Yemya
tśe /t͡ɕe/ n. “paper” from Middle Chinese tsyeX

Yinše
maa'e /maːʔe/ n. “reed; flute” originally only referred to flutes made from reeds but is extended to flutes made from other types of materials.
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

shimobaatar wrote: 03 Dec 2023 12:30 Khemehekis:
Khemehekis wrote: 03 Dec 2023 06:33 lobap: palm (of the hand)

Shayamibewusash bewus Pawolo ba lobap an añaph.
fortune-teller read Pawolo of palm in wrinkle
The fortune-teller read the wrinkles in Pawolo's palm.

Bonus words: bewusash: reader (bewus, to read + -ash, agent noun suffix)
shayamibewusash: fortune-teller (shayam, destiny + bewusash)
Is palm-reading a traditional part of Shaleyan culture?[/spoiler]
It is not native to Shaleya, but the Kankonians did develop it on their own, and Shaleyans learned about the practice of palmistry from their contacts with Kankonia. On Kankonia, palmistry is known as bubaliya, so that's what the Shaleyans call it. The Shaleyans dove right into the whole "read my palm" business because it meshed well with the many new-age beliefs of Shaleyan culture.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 91,592 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
Arayaz
mayan
mayan

Post by Arayaz »

Wednesday, Lexember 6

Theme: Technology, Techniques, Tools, Invention, Innovation, Advancement

Ruykkarraber skentur "pillar"

In dusuk skentures kad erut. "I stand upon a sturdy pillar."
1sg.1 sturdy pillar-2 upon stand
  • Nothing much to note, since I had to rush this out and didn't pick a very interesting word.
Proud member of the myopic-trans-southerner-Viossa-girl-with-two-cats-who-joined-on-September-6th-2022 gang

:con: 2c2ef0 Areyaxi family Arskiilz Kahóra Xúuuatxia Alushi
my garbage Ɛĭ3

she/her
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Shaleyan

DAY 3

phudo: cable
phudozeshu: cablehouse (phudo + zeshu, home, house)

Phudozeshu ba phudo has pales sak.
cablehouse of cable from swing 3s.INAN
The cablehouse swung from its cable.

A cablehouse is like a treehouse, but it's a "house" suspended from a cable, much like a cable car. They're popular on such planets as Querre. (The cablehouse originated in a dream I had back in 2014, wherein I was playing in a cablehouse in a Mien friend's backyard, and we had to avoid the sloth-dog on the ground that was trying to eat us.)

Bonus word: pales: (P) to swing (my arms swung as I walked)

DAY 4

ñonuloyonash: microphone
ñonul, voice + oyon, to grow (in size) + -ash, agent noun suffix

Ab shol sad ñizasiney ye ñonuloyonash.
1s have two turntable and microphone
I've got two turntables and a microphone.

Bonus word: ñizasiney: turntable (ñiz, to scratch + siney, to turn, to spin)

DAY 5

kileshayashiya: smartphone
kilesh, computer + yashiya, cellphone

Al ba kileshayashiya Nena pa yeph bes ba khob pamun yubil.
3s.ANIM of smartphone Nena for that app of find take forever
It took Nena forever to find that app on her smartphone.

Bonus words: besad: (T) to operate, to run<br>
bes: program (on computer), app (clipping of besad)

New grammar: When you have a transitive verb used as a gerund in combination with its direct object, state by object noun or pronoun, then ba (the postposition "of"), then the gerund:

Yin ba komen hel bekhan.
rice of eat COP healthy
Eating rice is healthy.

DAY 6

kosadukhelip: motorcycle
kosad, car + khelip, bicycle

Pakalo da sayaphaw Kales da pede kosadukhelip.
boy 1* be_liked_by Grace *1 ride motorcycle
Grace likes boys who ride motorcycles.
Last edited by Khemehekis on 07 Dec 2023 07:21, edited 1 time in total.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 91,592 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!