Lexember 2023

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Solarius
roman
roman

Re: Lexember 2023

Post by Solarius »

oənya [oə.'nja] adj. - "sweet"

from adjectivizer - + nia [ni.'a] "honey" -- originally meaning "honey-like." The shift of [ni.'a] to [nja] means that the etymology is not transparent for native speakers.

oənya is not used for very sweet or sugary items, like candies. There one uses orugem [o.ru.'gem], a itself derived from a meaning of "to sting (as in after an injury)."
------
shimobaatar wrote: 10 Dec 2023 12:46 Solarius:
Spoiler:
Solarius wrote: 03 Dec 2023 21:55 bayareleəng [ba.ja.re.'leəŋ] (n.) - spaceship, space shuttle. Compound of baya "room, location" + deəng "star" (with linking element -re- and the usual allophonic lenition of /d/ to [l].

(baya is a more bookish word, and a loanword from Sewaqli, the liturgical prestige lang; the native equivalent, which would never be used here, is nguim)

Pracis thonos masbayareleəng, igo praci haisəs "Apollo 11", nəbyun.
[pra.'t͡ɕis θo.'nos maz.ba.ja.re.'leəŋ i.'go pra.'t͡ɕi haj.'səs a.po.'lo 'jaŋ.kʷa nə.'byun]
IND-hear-PFV come.down-PTCP ERG-DEF-spaceship REL IND-hear be.named-PTCP Apollo 11 LOC-moon
"The spaceship, which was called Apollo 11, landed on the moon."
Fantastic!
Solarius wrote: 05 Dec 2023 05:46 irifi [i.ri.fi] (n.) - online commerce

From rifi "trade, purchases" + i- (borrowed from English e-)
Interesting! Forgive me if you've explained this elsewhere on the board already, but is this language meant to be spoken in a version of our world, hence the borrowing from English?
Solarius wrote: 06 Dec 2023 08:16 thyam [θjam] n. - "adze"
Solarius wrote: 08 Dec 2023 08:33 serku ['ser.ku] (n.) - letters, writing

Serku Datin nethe ʔə.
writing Latin difficult very
"Writing in Latin script is very hard."
thyam and serku are lovely words. I'm also quite fond of how "Latin" ends up as Datin, which I've realized is explained by your note about allophony above.
Solarius wrote: 10 Dec 2023 05:28 simə [si.mə] (n.) - automobile, cart

Sisimə amtur yowon Toyota.
DEF-car favorite 1p.SG Toyota
"My favorite car is a Toyota."
I love the use of reduplication to mark definiteness.
Thanks for the kind words, though I fear the definite may be less fun that you hoped; it's just s- with the succeeding vowel inserted after it if it would break phonotactics.

Apologies for some of the lower effort entries; been busy with work.

To answer your question, it is set in our world!
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

Lexember 10 - Yélian

prir [pɾid̟] - luke-warm, undrinkable
Etymology: new root, possibly related to prær "sh*t"

USAGE NOTES: prir can only be used with drinks that aren't supposed to be luke-warm and therefore aren't really enjoyable anymore at these temperatures, such as tea or coffee that's too cold, or any cold beverage that has become too warm. The neutral word for luke-warm, for things or food that is supposed to be at these temperatures, the word pulmend is used instead.

resifprir [ˈɾeːsɨpɾɨd̟] - an exclamation after you've tasted a drink that is prir, independent of which drink it is.
Etymology: resif "water" + prir
USAGE NOTES: It's used in a very similar manner to English Yuck!, but it's usage is confined to drinks you had expected to enjoy.

Lexember 11 - Yélian

lèmoneid [ˈlɛmɔ̈nɛɪ̯d] - lemonade
Etymology: a loan.

Resifprir! Yimavet u'toze o'lèmoneid pun obat can veburan, èpabetál prirbul. Efálpiritabut u'garesifprir u vánian.
[ˈɾeːsɨpɾɨd̟ | ɕɨˈmaːʋət ʉˈtoːɟə ɔ̈ˈlɛmɔ̈nɛɪ̯d pʉn ˈoːbɐt‿ɐn vəˈbuːɾɐn, ˌɛpɐbəˈtaːl ˈpɾiɾbʉl | əˌɸalˈpiːɾɨtɐbʉt ʉgɐˈɾeːsɨpɾɨɾ ʉ ˈvaːnɪ̯ɐn]
water-lukewarm PST-forget-3SG DEF.INAN=box DEF.GEN=lemonade in space for bag-PL, and_then lukewarm-COP.3PL | even-bad-COMP-COP.3SG.INAN DEF.INAN=coffee-lukewarm TEMP morning
Yuck! He forgot the lemonade box in the trunk, and now it's all too warm. This is even worse than the luke-warm coffee of this morning.
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.
Knox Adjacent
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Knox Adjacent »

Day 10
-naŋka- v.t. smell; taste

Solely people? detecting by senses.
zyma
korean
korean

Post by zyma »

Day 11

Hannaito (Entry 11):

mapë /mapɪ/ [ˈmɑ.pə]
Verb (Transitive):
1. to cook
2. to bake
3. to prepare (food)
4. to make, to create, to produce
5. to be working on, to be engaged in, to be focused on

Etymology
From Proto-Hannaito *maypi "to plan, to arrange, to prepare, to cook". Cognates include Gampyo myāpi "to construct, to build" and Fiigarazg määf "to organize, to sort, to station, to place".
The user formerly known as "shimobaatar".
(she)
Pabappa
greek
greek

Post by Pabappa »

Im going to struggle with this week as well, as cooking is really not well-developed in my writing. In some aspects this reflects a real cultural difference, but I'm still lacking even some words for very basic concepts. For now, all I have to share is Play putaši "spice", from MRCA pum twohil "fire in small bits" (though likely not a set phrase at the time).
Makapappi nauppakiba.
The wolf-sheep ate itself. (Play)
Arayaz
mayan
mayan

Post by Arayaz »

Pabappa wrote: 11 Dec 2023 15:41 Im going to struggle with this week as well, as cooking is really not well-developed in my writing. In some aspects this reflects a real cultural difference, but I'm still lacking even some words for very basic concepts. For now, all I have to share is Play putaši "spice", from MRCA pum twohil "fire in small bits" (though likely not a set phrase at the time).
putaši looks like "potash" or "potassium." Easter egg or coincidence?
Proud member of the myopic-trans-southerner-Viossa-girl-with-two-cats-who-joined-on-September-6th-2022 gang

:con: 2c2ef0 Areyaxi family Arskiilz Kahóra Xúuuatxia Alushi [Unnamed] Ẹlnk
my garbage Ɛĭ3

she/her
spanick
roman
roman

Post by spanick »

Lexember 10

Yemya
phavra /pʰɑʋrɑ/ n. “fire, hearth, stove” from *péh₂wr̥ “fire”

Yinše
caaporoš /t͡saːpóroʃ/ n. “onion” specifically refers to a small, cultivated onion the bulbs of which are rather small by our standards (24-40mm). From caa “wild onion” and poro “to be round” plus the nominalizer .

Lexember 11

Yemya
graimna /graimnɑ/ n. “butter” from PIE *gʰrey- “to smear” plus *mn̥

Yinše
k'aasaanaš /k'aːsáanaʃ/ n. “grape” from k'aa “berry” and saana “to be twisted” plus the nominalizer .

Shimo:
Spoiler:
shimobaatar wrote: 10 Dec 2023 12:46
I don't know if you've ever posted an overview of the sound changes between PIE & Yemya anywhere, but I find it interesting to try working out what some of them may be based on the etymologies you include. I'm particularly intrigued by the apparent correspondence between *h₂ and /ɕ/.
I have posted about Yemya before. The very first post which you can access here viewtopic.php?p=304498&hilit=Yemya#top includes the sound correspondences. The major hiccup is that I originally made Yemya in like 2018-2019 and it was originally only used for a language to give names to things within a con-religion I was developing so I didn't make a comprehensive list of sound changes. They were more ad hoc. Then I lost that list so I had to reconstruct what the sound changes were when I posted about Yemya as a language in 2020. Basically, this is a quite lazy and inconsistent PIE derived conlang, but I like the vibe.
shimobaatar wrote: 10 Dec 2023 12:46 I may have said something like this last year, but I quite enjoy seeing the (Middle) Chinese loanwords in Yemya.
I believe that you did. It's a nice out for when I'm struggling to come up with a word lol
Last edited by spanick on 14 Dec 2023 18:42, edited 1 time in total.
lurker
greek
greek

Post by lurker »

Dawn of the Eleventh Day. 462 Hours Remain

OK, so it's not morning, but that's not going to stop me from using the Majora's Mask reference.

sDsGKqmg

[yip, long high weak whine, yip, long rising strengthening growl, huff, short low strong grunt, short low weak growl]

Etymology
sDsGKq (to follow a path) + m (customary verb suffix, akin to -isto in Esperanto)

sDsGKq is in turn derived from
sD (to go) + sGKq (way, path)

Noun
1. A Pilgrim
2. A Follower of the Bright Way, A Wayfarer

rDsGKqmg

[chuff, long high weak whine, yip, long rising strengthening growl, huff, short low strong grunt, short low weak growl]

Etymology
rDsGKq (to wander from the road, get lost)

rD means to wander or err. sGKq is as above.

Noun
1. A wanderer
2. A lapsus, an apostate

fCqfCqg

[early falling strong whine, huff, early falling strong whine, huff, short low weak growl]

Etymology
from fCq (to lose)

Noun
1. Something or someone that is lost
2. A heathen, a pagan, a nonbeliever

Some religious vocab today. Don't think that fits the theme but I needed to make these for future lexemes down the road. I think this is what's called "noun incorporation" where you attach a noun to a verb to narrow the verb's meaning. So even though the noun comes after the verb (as Commonthroat is strongly head-initial) the customary suffix -m seems to be attached to the noun. Not sure if that makes any sense...

<rDsGKqmg> is intended to sound less harsh than "apostate" would suggest, hence why I translate it as "wanderer" when worldbuilding. Think Dante in Canto I of Inferno lost in the dark wood before finding Virgil.

I'm starting to second-guess my use of reduplicating verbs to form a patient noun. I don't even have a solid grasp of what Commonthroat's morphosyntactic alignment is yet, and I feel like that's going to effect verbal derived forms.
Arayaz
mayan
mayan

Post by Arayaz »

Monday, Lexember 11

Theme: Food, Cooking, Cuisine, Ingredients, Tastes, Textures, Smells, Odors, Colors, Sensations

Ruykkarraber abridbesekska "ground and fermented"

Abridbesekska res-auri antuken ruys! "Everyone loves ground and fermented hookstalk!"
ground.and.fermented hooked-stalk nobody-2 trouble
  • This is a style of prepairing grains and other plants: ground finely and left to ferment. It can also be used as a threat.
  • This word is usually abbreviated to sekska.
  • Fermented grain can be used to make alcoholic beverages, or to bake a type of bread called etabridbeseksku ─ or more often, seksku. Seksku is not purely made with abridbeseksku, since once grain is fermented, it won’t let the bread rise. Instead, other sources of sugar, such as fruit syrup (kidyadur), are added as food for the yeast. Seksku has a sourish flavor and isn’t as risen as regular bread, and depending on the kidyadur used, usually has a taste of fruit as well. If it’s too sweet, it’s either fake or oversyruped.
Last edited by Arayaz on 13 Dec 2023 03:52, edited 2 times in total.
Proud member of the myopic-trans-southerner-Viossa-girl-with-two-cats-who-joined-on-September-6th-2022 gang

my garbage Ɛĭ3

she/her
Solarius
roman
roman

Post by Solarius »

comate [t͡ɕo.ma.'te] (n.) - tomato, ears (colloquial)

Originally from Nahuatl tomatl, via Spanish and Chetanka (where it perplexingly acquired the affricate, perhaps on analogy with Chetanka chussu "apple."
KaiTheHomoSapien
greek
greek

Post by KaiTheHomoSapien »

I feel bad about not participating this year, but I'll try and continue to the end by starting now. Just going to use good old-fashioned Lihmelinyan for this.

11th

htépēr - /ˈxte.peːr/ spoon, scoop, spoonful

gen. hteprés (this is not easy for me to say! I have a rule that if I can’t pronounce something, it doesn’t go in my conlang. Even worse, in some dialects, the genitive is htprés, with a syllabic /x/).
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

Lexember 12 - Yélian

ceválts [kəˈʋalt͡s] - tasteless; unseen, concealed; unremarkable; "invisible" (for persons; a person who is so unremarkable that people won't take notice of them even if they stand right next to them)

Etymology: negative classifier ce- + vala "to see" + adjectivizer -ts, with the unstressed a being dropped. There is also cevalats, which translates to "unseeing, oblivious" instead.

USAGE NOTES: If the word denotes persons, it only signifies if someone is figuratively invisible, as in, not taken notice of. The word for factual invisibility is aubu.

Vat piytasce renim ilvoré yibet! Un'alæsconvitani ti yiceváltsbul viyd talar, un'apárcamay yiceváltsbut, èpa an'élonor yifadcombet reo barcamé cet yiquadceváltsvælai!
[vɐ‿pa̯iːˈtaskə ˈɾeːnɨm ɨlvɔ̈ˈɾeː ˈɕiːbət | ʉnɐˈlœskɔ̈nˌviːtɐnɨ ti ɕɨkəˈʋalt͡sbʉl va̯iːd‿ˈaːlɐd̟, ʉnɐˈpaɾkɐmɐʃ ɕɨkəˈʋalt͡sbʉt, ˈɛpɐ ɐˈneːlɔ̈nɔ̈d̟ ɕɨɸɐˈdombət ˈɾeː.ɔ̈ ˌbaɾkɐˈmeː kət ɕɨkɐdəˈvalt͡svœlaɪ̯]
DEM dead_time 1PLEX.POSS day_trip PST-COP.3SG.PST | DEF.INAN=statue-famous-PL-ENUM three PST-concealed-COP.3PL owing_to fog, DEF.INAN=lunch PST-tasteless-COP.3SG.INAN, and DEF.ANIM=guide PST-ignore-3SG 1SG.POSS question-COL like PST-seem-invisible-COP.COND.1SG
What a waste this outing was! The famous Three Statues were concealed by the thick fog, the lunch was tasteless, and the tour guide ignored all my questions as if I wasn't even there!
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.
Knox Adjacent
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Knox Adjacent »

Day 11
-wuy- vt. touch (make physical contact with); feel (sense by touch)
-yat̪a adj. sweet
-curu adj. fit to eat; edible; ripe; cooked
-punup adj. savory; umami-flavored
Last edited by Knox Adjacent on 17 Dec 2023 11:31, edited 1 time in total.
Pabappa
greek
greek

Post by Pabappa »

Arayaz wrote: 11 Dec 2023 15:51
Pabappa wrote: 11 Dec 2023 15:41 For now, all I have to share is Play putaši "spice", from MRCA pum twohil "fire in small bits" (though likely not a set phrase at the time).
putaši looks like "potash" or "potassium." Easter egg or coincidence?
Coincidence. All my conlangs are a priori apart from some very, very obfuscated ciphers of English words mostly passed through as numbers, and possible subconscious influence from before I started using word-generators.

A Play word I made just now is tačipu "apple, pear", a slight change to a pre-existing word /tačepu/. This new word comes from MRCA ambət hakiŋ. The first MRCA word indicates colorful objects, especially round things, while the second word is as yet unassigned. The -pu classifier suffix can either be assigned to the same pum "in small bits" up above (because that's how fruit is often laid out across a tree) or to any of several other original words that would all coalesce into the same /pu/ by the maturation date of Play. One of these others is a word for tree, which was just pu in the original language. I typically consider the classifier suffixes of Play to be free-standing because most of them are mergers.

A note on sound changes: I've been listing Play words as deriving directly from MRCA (so called because it's the "most recent common ancestor" of my major projects), which was spoken about 4,500 years earlier. I've memorized nearly the entire list of relevant sound changes by now, and can just put them together in my head, so that leaves a lot of room for analogy, and for those words that derive from compounds of three or more MRCA words, the component words were most often not added at the same time. The sound changes thus often appear wildly irregular ... for example, in the word above, Play's /t/ is not the reflex of the original word's /t/, but of the /mb/, and the original /t/ was almost certainly lost from the first word before the compound was created.

Also, I've been using the letter č to denote a Play /š/ sound that derives from earlier /k/, but behaves differently in the grammar from the more common /š/. Thus this word is a phonetic anagram of the word above ... /tašipu/ instead of /putaši/.
Makapappi nauppakiba.
The wolf-sheep ate itself. (Play)
zyma
korean
korean

Post by zyma »

Day 12

Hannaito (Entry 12):

ëfu /ɪhu/ [ˈə.ɸʊ], [ˈʔə.ɸʊ]
Verb (Transitive):
1. to eat
2. to consume, to devour
3. to digest
4. to dissolve, to corrode, to erode, to break down, to break apart, to dismantle
5. to consider, to ponder, to mull over, to think about, to contemplate
6. to enjoy, to be captivated by

Etymology
From Proto-Hannaito *yeyhow "to eat". Cognates include Gampyo shēwō "to eat".
The user formerly known as "shimobaatar".
(she)
spanick
roman
roman

Post by spanick »

Lexember 12

Yemya
yuya /jujɑ/ n. “millet; grain” from PIE *yuyéh₂s. The Yemya live in and around the very arid Junggar Basin (north of the Tarim Basin where the Tocharians lived). Because of the climate, agriculture is difficult and the main cereal crop that they grow is the drought tolerant millet.

Yinše
c'iina /͡ts’iːna/ n. “rice” refers to any of the varieties of zizania what is often called wild rice. It does not refer to oryza sativa (Asian Rice), which is unknown to Yinše speakers.
lurker
greek
greek

Post by lurker »

Dawn of the Twelfth Day. 443 Hours Remain

sMp

[yip, late rising strong grunt]

Verb
To step, tread. Can be said of any of the four paws

Code: Select all

bc slPqMr qN sMpb 
bc slPq-Mr       qN     ∅  sMp-b 
on tail-3.PROX   your   I  step-NAUTH
I stepped on your tail (accidentally)
When the subject is in the first person and the verb is inflected in the nonauthoritative mood, it indicates the speaker did something by accident or unintentionally.

Code: Select all

bc slPqMr qN sMp
bc slPq-Mr       qN     ∅  sMp-∅
on tail-3.PROX   your   I  step-AUTH
I stepped on your tail (deliberately)
If the subject is in first person and the verb is inflected in the authoritative mood, it indicates the action was deliberate.
KaiTheHomoSapien
greek
greek

Post by KaiTheHomoSapien »

12th

wétkanan - cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli, various Brassica plants.

gen. wetkánaša

There's not much differentiation between these in Lihmelinyan and this word seems to be an umbrella term for all of these similar-looking and related plants, as well as the vegetables obtained from them. Note the usual accent shift in the genitive. Accents are never further back than the antepenultimate.
Ælfwine
roman
roman

Post by Ælfwine »

This is mostly catchup at this point. I've been playing with a bunch of funky sound changes that while diverge from the Crimean Gothic corpus are pretty cool. I may justify these changes as all happening past the 16th century. I can give the more conservative and schwaful 16th century forms if anyone wants. I've given the words below in a romanized form, followed by their cyrillic form, Xsampa and a gloss.

Modern Gothic:

šliepn шлѥпн /'SLEpn/ "to sleep"

iezr ѥзр /'jEzr/ "iron"

oag оаг /'wAG/ "eye"

stuols стуолс /'stuols/ "chair"

kor кор /'kOr/ "grain"

šnos шнос /'SnOs/ "bride"

muš муш /'mUS/ "bridegroom" (loanword from Russian)
My Blog

A-posteriori, alternative history nerd
Arayaz
mayan
mayan

Post by Arayaz »

[h1]Tuesday, Lexember 12[/h1]

Theme: Food, Cooking, Cuisine, Ingredients, Tastes, Textures, Smells, Odors, Colors, Sensations

Ruykkarraber kidyadur "fruit syrup"

In kidyaduren rantisisbas ak yuridir. "I tracked down fruit syrup in the pile of jars."
1sg.1 cooked-fruit-2 jar.pile-3 within track.down-PST
  • You got a teaser for this one in yesterday’s entry!
  • Kidyadur is a fruit syrup made by heating up mashed fruit. This boils away water and increases the amount of sugar present. As it has a high sugar content, it is popular to add to doughs to provide more rise to the bread (such as in seksku ─ see previous entry).
  • It derives from the adjective kidya, meaning “cooked,” and adur, “fruit.” Kidya is unusual in that it has ultimate stress, since it derives from a monosyllabic root (dya, “fire” or “burned”) with a prefix (ki-, “partially”).
  • Originally, I had a headache because this word was looking like it was gonna be really, really long. It was, in its full form, kidyambasinsak-adur: ki-dya-mbas-in-sak-adur "partially-fire-become-resultative-participle-fruit."
  • I was going to just abbreviate that to sinsakadur when I realized that instead of making “to be burning” the equivalent of “undergo the continuing result of becoming fire,” I could zero-derive the noun into an adjective meaning “on fire.”

my garbage Ɛĭ3

she/her