greek
greek

Re: Lexember 2023

Post by lurker »

Dawn of the Twenty Sixth Day. 101 Hours Remain
-cdr

[short rising weakening whine, chuff]

Suffix
Forms a noun indicating a tool or instrument, usually small enough to be held in the paw or tail.

Plq (to dig), Plq-cdr-g (a shovel)
CDq (to hold), CDq-cdr-g (a holder)
qKq (to split), qKq-cdr-g (an axe)
rgJ (to stab), rgJ-cdr-g (a knoif)
rnq-g (paw), rnq-cdr-g (handle, pedal, [pawdle?])

Bonus Word

rG-rnq-g

from rGg (rope) + rnq (paw)

Noun

Cabling spaced at regular intervals stretched across wide thoroughfares in orbital colonies to allow residents to pull themselves along or to stop people getting stranded in the middle of the hallway out of reach of the sides. (If you've seen Gravity you know this isn't a trivial thing.) To a human this makes the large pedestrian malls common on yinrih orbital colonies look like a monkey habitat at the zoo, rather apropos for monkey foxes.

PS Happy Boxing Day/St Stephen's Day.
⠎⠀⠜⠎⠾⠌⠺⠀⠍⠭⠌⠉⠀⠬⠽⠬⠽⠌⠚
Pabappa
greek
greek

Post by Pabappa »

The fourth major economic system in my writing is slavery. Unlike with piracy, there is no transnational moral code governing what is and is not acceptable in slavery; each slaveowning operation is separate and can only be restricted by the laws of the nations they dwell in.

In general, humans in my writing are less violent than humans in our world. Armies are small, and soldiers are quick to make peace and afraid to shed blood. But these are not utopic societies. Wars are launched, nations are conquered, and people are subjugated. Just as the soldiers are more blood-shy than soldiers in our world, subjugated peoples rarely lead slave revolts, and some enslaved populations have passed from one holding group to another for more than a thousand years without seeing freedom.

I dont have a single Play word corresponding to the concept of slave or slavery. Rather, there is a comparison with animals. Just as there are prey animals, wild animals, farm animals, and pets, so too are there equivalent classes of people.

Wild animals (šane) are those who are both free and safe. Most citizens of nations are šane, because they have the freedom of movement and the right to life. Impounded criminals and certain other groups are exceptions; see below.

Pets and livestock (žana) are those who are safe but not free. These are the people most closely resembling slaves in our world, and are also the most common type of slave. Criminals are considered to be žana, and in many nations, this is a hereditary class: for a grave enough crime, not only will one be sentenced to a life of slavery, but the criminal's children (and usually their spouse) will become slaves as well. These laws are determined by each individual nation, however, and there are nations who don't maintain prisons at all, preferring to exile criminals if they can be reasonably assured the criminal will not return to commit more crimes.

Prey animals (fumuta) are those who are free but not safe. Often, rather than setting up labor camps, a victorious army will disarm the conquered population, constrain them to inner territories to prevent escape, and let them go about their lives. If a conquered people is without nearby allies, physical constraint is unnecessary, as neighboring nations will treat them no better than the conquerors. Here, fumuta status indicates that crimes against the conquered people will not be punished. A conquered people in this state may have cities, schools, and companies of their own, and will do their best to maintain safe living conditions, but nothing they produce will ever truly be theirs, because any member of the dominating population can draw freely from the subjugated population's wealth, and can even assault or kill these people, without committing any crime. Thus, fumuta are in many ways worse off than the žana slaves.

The worst-off animals are the fūsia. These are those who are neither free nor safe, and thus are simultaneously livestock and prey. In our world, we might consider these to simply be livestock, but the raising of animals specifically for food was unknown among the Play-speaking populations and thus the term referred to a tactic of last resort during famines in which animals bred to help humans were slaughtered all at once to provide a quick supply of food. Since fūsia can neither seek freedom nor defend themselves, someone assigned to this class is either starved to death or tortured; in either case they are quickly killed. Captured soldiers of an enemy army who refuse to surrender thus can be considered fūsia, but when referring to humans, the term most commonly refers to the criminals who have committed the worst of all crimes, and therefore are deemed undeserving of compassion.

Just as animal metaphors refer to slaves, they also refer to the slave-owners. A māppi is a predator in the traditional sense; one who chases and eats prey (fumuta). Likewise, a human who is māppi is one who preys on slaves. Although humans also hunt animals, different verbs are used for this. That is, humans' control of other humans is likened to animals' prey on other animals, while humans' hunting of animals is a concept without comparison. Because animals do not keep other animals as livestock, there is no corresponding animal metaphor to refer to a slave-owner who controls žana slaves, but such people are typically controlled by the community and not by individual people, so those in charge have other occupational titles.

It is important to note that slavery can be a state of being, and is not always lifelong. Criminals, as above, are considered to be slaves of the žana type because they cannot leave their prisons. Men serving in the military are considered to be slaves because they must obey their commands and cannot leave their bases. If a nation has compulsory education, students are considered to be slaves while attending school if they are not paid for their work. This is not the only type of school: a capitalist school system is one which pays its students a salary for doing their schoolwork, and in return the students are bound by contract for the rest of their lives to repay the school a large fraction of their salary for the education that helped them receive their job; they are also bound to the school in other ways, and some capitalist schools compel adult graduates to return to the school as teachers, the benefit of this being that they no longer need to pay the bulk of their salary back to the school.
Makapappi nauppakiba.
The wolf-sheep ate itself. (Play)
zyma
korean
korean

Post by zyma »

Day 27

Hannaito (Entry 27):

pote /pote/ [ˈpo.te]
Noun:
1. realm, domain, dominion, abode (especially of a god)
2. sphere of influence, territory, jurisdiction
3. power, authority, control
4. sovereignty, reign
5. nation, state, country (especially as a political entity)
6. government, administration
7. range, scope
8. (figurative) wheelhouse; skillset, (area of) expertise
9. (figurative) ballpark; general vicinity
10. world, dimension, plane, universe, cosmos
11. space, heaven, heavens, sky, firmament

Etymology
From Proto-Hannaitoan *pewte "room, area, volume, space". Cognates include Gampyo pyōte "domain, arena, heavens" and Fiigarazg fööt "space, land, afterlife".
The user formerly known as "shimobaatar".
(she)
lurker
greek
greek

Post by lurker »

Dawn of the Twenty Seventh Day. 77 Hours Remain

sfcPLg

[yip, short falling strong whine, long falling weakening grunt, short low weak growl]

Etymology
from sfc (pup, child) + -PL (suffix forming collective nouns)

1. a litter of yinrih children regardless of age
2. (The Bright Way) a congregation lead by a particular hearthkeeper, used in a similar manner as English "flock".

Code: Select all

pM  sbrP-rmK-g               snp-g        qbf  qF     rNlr-0    sfc-PL-P                H-rLPq-K
OBL custodian-hearth-3.INDEF holy.3.INDEF if   merely good.AUTH child-COLLECTIVE-3.DIST none-light.DOG
A hearthkeeper must be a saint. If she is merely decent, her litter shall be godless.
A hearthkeeper (cleric) is forbidden from entering into a childermoot (group of yinrih parents). Her congregation is considered her litter. The traditional explanation is that a cleric must devote all her time to tending the star hearth and performing other sacerdotal duties. Cynics will tell you its because the hierarchy doesn't want to pay a larger salary to account for her having pups to feed.
⠎⠀⠜⠎⠾⠌⠺⠀⠍⠭⠌⠉⠀⠬⠽⠬⠽⠌⠚
spanick
roman
roman

Post by spanick »

Lexember 27

Yemya
batra /bɑtɾɑ/ n. “excellence; moral excellence, virtue” from PIE *bʰed-ró-s from the root *bʰed- “to improve, make better” thus ultimately related to English “better”.

Yinše
poroporoš /poɾopoɾoʃ/ “bead” reduplicated form of poro “to be round” plus the nominalizer .
Arayaz
roman
roman

Post by Arayaz »

Tuesday, Lexember 26

Theme: Culture, Ideas, Philosophy, Beliefs, Customs

Ruykkarraber naday “hungry; sparse; worthless”

Serre nadayn kiyurid. “You all are looking for something worthless.”
2frm.1 worthless-2 partial-find
  • In philosophy or thinking, if a problem is naday, it’s not worth thinking about.

Wednesday, Lexember 27

Theme: Culture, Ideas, Philosophy, Beliefs, Customs

Ruykkarraber tegarri “with many possible outcomes”

Serre serres bet resid tegarri in taren tunnin teradye? “Do you understand that your life could go many ways?”
2frm.1 2frm.3 INAL future many.outcomes as COP-2 ABIL-2 understand
  • Somewhat the opposite of naday, though not quite, this word can be used of something that is undecided or could go many ways.
Proud member of the myopic-trans-southerner-Viossa-girl-with-two-cats-who-joined-on-September-6th-2022 gang

:con: 2c2ef0 Areyaxi family Arskiilz Kahóra Hóubenk
my garbage Ɛĭ3

she/her
conlang-creature
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by conlang-creature »

Looks like I've ran out of ideas for last week's theme. The new one looks like fun though.
Pananarmodfeja - 24th Day
nohhet - marry*

Kelo-djon Jala-bhon jenq narfeja nohhet babanq.
kelo-djon jala-bhon jenq nar-feja nohhet baba-nq
[tree-hunt]** [fish-care] after 3-days marry FUT-3PL
Keldo will marry Sabbo in three days.

*This word is a little more specific than the English one. It specifies the marriage celebration itself. Wanting to marry someone or being married is one of the many uses of the word bhot.
Spoiler:
**Looks like I'm finally using names. Names in Poffan (undecided on that name) culture are made in two parts. The first part, assigned at birth by one's parents, can be just about any noun. They often match in gender, but this isn't a requirement. The second part is a verb, communally decided based off of something the person is good at. This part is decided upon when a child reaches adulthood. In all, a name literally means "an X that Ys". The names I've chosen here I imagine becoming the Bob and Jane kinds of names for this world. The nouns are common objects that are gender matched. Furthermore all men should hunt well, and all women should be caring. In practice, names with these verbs could denote extra skill too.
A word a day keeps the scrapping away!
Current Record: 178
:usa: [:3]
Pabappa
greek
greek

Post by Pabappa »

Play tamem, a shoe. From MRCA ndan min, which evolves to Play /tami/, plus the clothing classifier suffix which causes mutation of /i/ > /em/. min in MRCA meant "leg; river; worm" and I haven't decided yet whether the common theme is things that move or things that are long and narrow. ndan might mean a protective covering, particularly one on the bottom of something, as Im certain the people had sandals before they had shoes.

Also I want to note that Play's e vowel is an IPA schwa, and that I spell it this way because I think it looks better. A lot of my languages have a vowel inventory of /a i u ə/, and Play is in that category.

Will try to get back on track with politics tomorrow if I have time. I really want to firm up the words for schools, particularly the capitalist school idea which has been in my mind for years but which I've never really gone into the details of.
Makapappi nauppakiba.
zyma
korean
korean

Post by zyma »

Day 28

Hannaito (Entry 28):

reiwiruuyem /reiwiruujem/ [ˈɾei̯.wiˌɾuː.jɛ̃m], [ˈɾeː.wiˌɾuː.jɛ̃m]
Adjective:
1. intangible, untouchable
2. incorporeal, insubstantial, immaterial, disembodied, ethereal
3. invulnerable, invincible, immovable, unstoppable, unbeatable
4. immortal, eternal, infinite, everlasting
5. secret, hidden, concealed, covert, clandestine, confidential
6. unfathomable, incomprehensible, ineffable, inscrutable, unintelligible, unknowable, abstruse
7. inexplicable, unexplainable, indescribable, inexpressible, undefinable
8. mysterious, mystic, mystical, enigmatic, obscure, occult, esoteric, arcane, cryptic
9. supernatural, otherworldly, spiritual, transcendent, transcendental
10. holy, hallowed, sacred, divine

Etymology
From rei "not" (< Proto-Hannaitoan *rel "id.") + wiruu "to touch, to hold, to experience, to affect, to discover" (< PH *wiyruñ "to touch, to poke, to prod") + the adjective-forming suffix -yem (< PH *lem "safe, secure, steady").
(she)
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

Lexember 27 - Yélian

aleasé [ɐˌleː.ɐˈseː] - awareness, attention; spotlight; prerequisite, precondition; attention to detail; side-note
Etymology: from alea "to shine brightly" + nominalizer -sé

Lexember 28 - Yélian

áblara [ˈaːblɐɾɐ] - to manifest (a thought); to solidify; to realize (a contract, an undertaking, etc.); to bring sth. to production; to make sth. real
Etymology: from abla "net, network"

Desiý rotyáblarest vat nutócquet on'aiprès, roianáblaraven æn'aleasé o'báriærnaun o'dasaun cluvat.
[dəˈsa̯iː ɾɔ̈ˈt͡ʃablɐɾəst vɐt nʉˈtoːkət ɔ̈naɪ̯ˈpɾɛs, ɾɔ̈.ɪ̯ɐˈnablɐɾɐʋən ənɐˌleː.ɐˈseː ɔ̈ˈbaːɾɪ̯əɾnaʊ̯n ɔ̈ˈdaːsaʊ̯n ˈkluːʋɐt]
before FUT-POT-realize-1PLEX DEM route-new DEF.GEN=trade, FUT-NEC-make_real-JUS.1PLEX DEF.CONC=awareness DEF.GEN=property-PL DEF.GEN=people-PL alongside=DEM
Before we can realize this new trading route, we have to raise awareness of the cultural properties of the peoples alongside it.

New word for the example sentence:

nutóc [nʉˈtoːk] - route
Etymology: portmanteau from nut "way, path" + mosóc "recipe; shopping list"
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.
spanick
roman
roman

Post by spanick »

Lexember 28

Yemy
kraiśa /kɾaiɕɑ/ n. “trade, commerce, the buying and selling of goods”

krina /krinɑ/ v. “to engage in trade; to engage in commerce; to buy and sell

kraiśthor /kraiɕtʰor/ n. “merchant, trader”

All three ultimately from PIE *kʷreyh₂- “to buy”.

Yinše
šoomaš /ʃoːmaʃ/
n. “wine; alcohol”
v.itr. “to drink wine” becomes transitive with the comitative applicative ‘u- to form ‘ušoomaš “to drink wine together with someone”

Wine is primarily used in a social, ritual context rather than as a regular form of drink. Šoomaš is a rare instance where the verb seems to be derived directly from the noun, since both forms have the common -š suffix. In world, of unknown origin, likely a borrowing. In real life, inspired by the Vedic ritual drink sóma.
lurker
greek
greek

Post by lurker »

Dawn of The Twenty Eighth Day. 53 Hours Remain

rgr-rbCq-Cb-g

[chuff, short low weak growl, chuff, chuff early low strengthening whine, huff, late low falling whine, short low weak growl]

Etymology
From rgr (bark of a tree, strip) + rbCq (cold) + -Cb (cause to become) Literally "cooling bark" or "cooling strip"

A small, edible dissolving strip that stimulates cold receptors in the body when consumed. Fills a similar role as chewing gum to the natives of the deserts of the planet Hearthside, although the goal is temporary relief from the heat rather than fresh breath.

This one's a bit of a cheat, as none of the morphemes are new, but the lexeme is :)
⠎⠀⠜⠎⠾⠌⠺⠀⠍⠭⠌⠉⠀⠬⠽⠬⠽⠌⠚
zyma
korean
korean

Post by zyma »

Day 29

Hannaito (Entry 29):

chidzü /tidɯᵝ/ [ˈt͡ɕi.d͡zɨᵝ]
Noun:
1. money, currency
2. coin(s), paper money, cash
3. any item exchanged for goods and/or services
4. bargaining chip
5. token (in a game)

Etymology
Borrowed from a descendant of Classical Leran cītū "material goods".
(she)
Pabappa
greek
greek

Post by Pabappa »

Plum yabi, a school. The oblique stem of this is řai- ... for the past few days instead of working on Play I've been working on regularizing the chaotic stem alternations inherited by its neighbor spoken just to the east (and eventually ending up within Play territory). Play and Plum are only distantly related genetically, but are intimately connected by culture. Indeed, I've chosen the name Plum specifically to highlight its closeness to Play; it is not a translation of a cultural endonym nor even an exonym that other groups used to refer to them. Their native name was Yaři, but this name has no meaning to me (it's just a word-gen output), and I might change it since tribes in their area typically chose names that were meaningful to outsiders.

This word would have yielded *vapi in Play as a direct cognate, but it disappeared from the Play language because /vapi/ already means "single-party nation" and this term was too important to share its meaning with the word for school. One Play word for school is vaivās. This is not a new word, but I've recently touched up the etymology after realizing that its parent language form, lali ka hugi, should have yielded Play *vayupās (and which would be seen as a transparent compound of vayu + pās). I don't remember the specific reason I made this word irregular, but I remember consciously doing so, and that's enough for me to convince myself that it wasn't simply a mistake on my part. Here, /vayu/ means "waypoint; stop on a road" and /pās/ means "fort; castle"; hence, a vaivās is a capitalist boarding school protected against assaults from outside. I still do not have a generic word for school in Play as of yet.
Edit: in reply to shimobaatar's post below: ř (as with hacheks generally in my languages) indicates a postalveolar trill, possibly sometimes with frication, essentially its value in Slavic. This is one of the very few sounds I use in conlangs that I cannot pronounce, which is part of why I'm not firm on the precise sound it should be.
Last edited by Pabappa on 01 Jan 2024 13:43, edited 1 time in total.
Makapappi nauppakiba.
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

As I will be off for the rest of the year, here comes my final post for this lexember. And with that, my lexicon in Yélian grew to 6,619 entries!

Lexember 29 - Yélian

staûnafi [stɐ.uːˈnaːɸɨ] - respect, recognition, legitimation, also: authentication (IT)
Etymology: from staû "power, force" + rare nominalizer -afi plus an epenthetic -n-

Lexember 30 - Yélian

staûbag [stɐ.ˈuːbɐg] - ambitious; power-hungry
Etymology: from staû "power, force" + bag "hungry"

Lexember 31 - Yélian

bigebèn [bɨgəˈbɛn] - Big Bang (end of singularity)
Etymology: loan from English Big Bang and adjusted to Yélian phonology.
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.
spanick
roman
roman

Post by spanick »

Lexember 29

Yemya
nauthaśratha /nautʰɑɕrɑtʰɑ/ n. “funeral; post mortem death ritual” literally “death-rite” from nautha “death” from the PIE root *neh₂w- “to die” plus -eh₂ and śratha “order; way; rite” from PIE *h₂r̥-tós.

The most common form of funerary rite is śastaiyatś /ɕɑstaijɑt͡ɕ/ (mummification) for the poor, often a simple thatś /tʰɑt͡ɕ/ (burial) is the only option with the hope that the arid climate will naturally mummify the corpse. The śvana (monks) have the custom of exhuming the mummy and performing śaiyatś (cremation) after a year.

Yinše]/b]
’ič’iinæ /ʔit͡ʃiːnæ/ v.tr. “to marry someone”
lurker
greek
greek

Post by lurker »

Dawn of the Twenty Ninth Day. 31 Hours Remain

rBF

[chuff, long rising strengthening whine]

Verb
1. To cry, to weep
2. (by extension) To mourn

Yinrih don't cry in the same way humans do. Instead of tears, they have a red fluid that is secreted from the mouth. It looks a lot scarier than it actually is. Much like other bodily excretions the yinrih produce, it's highly aromatic. Humans compare it to the smell of sea spray. The strong red color and smell are thought to be social signals indicating very strong emotion. Yinrih cry in the same situations that humans do, when sad, scared, or very happy.
⠎⠀⠜⠎⠾⠌⠺⠀⠍⠭⠌⠉⠀⠬⠽⠬⠽⠌⠚
zyma
korean
korean

Post by zyma »

Day 30

Hannaito (Entry 30):

übütepem /ɯᵝbɯᵝtepem/ [ˈɯᵝ.bɯᵝˌte.pɛ̃m], [ˈʔɯᵝ.bɯᵝˌte.pɛ̃m]
Noun:
1. the winter solstice
2. the traditional Hannaichë winter solstice festival
3. any similar holiday marking the winter solstice in another culture

Etymology
From übü "snow; winter, wintertime" (< Proto-Hannaitoan *wuwbu "snow") + tepem "darkness, dawn, predawn, dusk" (< PH *cepem "shade, shadow, darkness"). Literally "Winter's Darkness" or "the Dawn of Winter".
(she)
Pabappa
greek
greek

Post by Pabappa »

I've run out of time to get the full list of school-related words I was hoping for, and indeed, I still don't have a word that simply means "school", only words for types of schools. I will continue working on this after Lexember but I also want to post a few words that I've come up with today.

For a long time, the Play word for "teach" has been derived from MRCA /huki/, which had no further etymology. Recently, word-gen output gave me /yukik/ as one word (among many) for student, and I decided to rework the etymologies of both words to tie them together. I ended up retiring both words, however, and replacing them with derivatives of the MRCA word for eye, /uḳi/. This is probably a plural, which if so binds the words I'm deriving to the Play clade only. Nonetheless,

Play

pi, the eye. This is not a standalone word for eye but is recognized when used in compounds.
pisa, to show; to teach; to make someone see. From MRCA uḳi hi na, where the last two morphemes were originally free but evolved into verb extenders and then into a fused fossil morpheme.
pītu, to learn; to begin to see. From MRCA uḳi hatu, the last morpheme probably from pre-MRCA /hi atu/, making it cognate to the above. Likewise this /hatu/ affix is not productive in Play, but will survive in more than just this one word family.

This also leads me to join the very long-standing Play word pīs "scout; to follow, track, chase", which was originally from MRCA piha, into this word family as well, perhaps simply unifying it with pītu (since there are other words for student) or perhaps making it /pītu/ plus a further suffix I will choose when the time comes.
Makapappi nauppakiba.
lurker
greek
greek

Post by lurker »

Dawn of The Thirtieth Day. 36 Hours Remain

qCD-g

[huff, long rising weakening whine, short low weak growl]

Noun
male litter mate
brother (when said of humans)

qDB-g

[huff, long falling weak whine, short low weak growl]

Noun
female litter mate
sister (when said of humans)

strictly speaking, this should be closer to "male fraternal twin" and "female fraternal twin" as the relationship implies hatching from the same womb-nest, but twins are a comparatively rare phenomenon among humans whereas yinrih litters scale based on the number of sires and dams who contribute eggs to the womb-nest. The relationship among litter mates is pretty close to that of human siblings, so I think it fits. Time will tell if I'll extend these terms to religious metaphors as well. I kind of wanted to use a different vocabulary besides kinship terms, but I've already committed to using "litter" as one would use "flock" in English, so I suppose that idea is out the window.

I've been using Wolfram Alpha to get the number of hours from now til the end of the month in order to do my titles. I just found out that it's actually interpreting "end of the month" as the beginning of new year's eve, not the beginning of new year's day. I should have been adding 24 hours to the times. Oh well.
⠎⠀⠜⠎⠾⠌⠺⠀⠍⠭⠌⠉⠀⠬⠽⠬⠽⠌⠚