Yorkish

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Znex
roman
roman

Yorkish

Post by Znex »

So I've been posting translations in this lang around the place and I figured I might finally start writing up some detail about it. This first post will be more a synopsis post for the whole language, but my plan for this thread is to write up snapshot posts about the features I'd really like to talk about.

Yorkish (Eurcisc /ˈʏrcɪsc/) is an Insular North Germanic language spoken in Yorkrice (ie. across our Yorkshire and going partway south) and in pockets in Angland. It is closely related to its southern sibling Markish, but defies attempts to be categorised precisely with its other Nordic siblings. Its higher social register shows strong influences from Danish (Danish in the previous centuries enjoyed great prestige among the Scandinavian elite, and Yorkrice as a state shared close political and cultural ties with Denmark during this time), but the core of the language as spoken commonly still shows its roots as an Anglicised yet lexically conservative Nordic language, with both West and East Nordic traits.

Phonology
Consonants:
/m n/ <m n>
/pʰ tʰ cç kʰ/ <p t c k>
/p t c k/ <p/b t/d c/g(ʒ) k/g>
/f θ s ɕ ç h/ <f/v th s s(ʒ) h(ʒ) h>
/r l j w/ <r l ʒ w>

Yorkish has shifted in a similar direction to the other Insular Nordic languages (but unlike Markish) in maintaining a strong aspiration contrast between stops rather than voicing. One key difference however is that the contrast is lost after word-initial position: Yorkish does not ever use preaspiration to keep the distinction. Rather any intervocalic stops and fricatives or those in sandhi are not infrequently partially voiced, and some debuccalised (very frequently in the case of /t/).

Vowels:
/ɪ ɪə ɪʊ ʏ ʏə ʊ ʊə ū/
/ei ē/
/ε ɛa ɛi (ə) əi/
/a ɒ ɒ̄/

Yorkish is typical among the North Germanic languages in having a large amount of vowels, but follows the trend of its Anglic neighbours in retaining very few long monophthong vowels. Most historically long vowels (with the notable exception of *ū) have shifted to become diphthongs in the standard variety, although some very northerly varieties of Yorkish have again developed contrastive vowel length, albeit still mostly predictable.

Major sound changes:
Spoiler:
  1. /a/ retracted before /r l g/, otherwise fronted (eg. allr > aull /ɒ̄l/, dagr > daw /tɒ̄/, *barr > bar /pɒ̄r/)
  2. Velars become palatalised preceding front vowels or yod, incl. front /a/ (eg. hyggja > higʒe /çɪc/, gera > giare /cɒ̄r/, gata > giate /cɛat/)
  3. /s/ becomes palatalised preceding yod (eg. sjúkr > seuk /ɕɪuk/)
  4. Front rounded vowels merge with unrounded (eg. bý > bie /pɛi/, nytja > nitte /nɪt/, fœða > feithe /fəiθ/, geyma > geime /cēm/)
  5. Pre-yod consonant gemination (eg. nytja > nitte /nɪt/, biðja > bithe /pɪθ/)
  6. Open syllable lengthening: a e o i u > ā ɛ̄ ɔ̄ ē ō (high vowel OSL is somewhat less common; eg. tala > tale /tʰɛal/, hnefi > neve /nɪəf/, kona > kone /kʰʊən/, ofan > uin /ʏən/)
  7. Trisyllabic shortening (eg. félagi > fella /ˈfɛlə/)
  8. New diphthongs from intervocalic lenition of /g/ (eg. bogi > bou /pʊə/, lǫg > law /lɒ̄/, vegr > weʒ /wei/, lýg- > liʒe /lɛi/)
  9. Final unstressed syllable reduction and loss
  10. Spontaneous fronting of ó and OSL u to ø̄ (eg. blóð > bluith /plʏəθ/, dur- > duir /tʏər/, hón > sʒo /ɕʏə/)
  11. Great Vowel Shift: ā (incl. OSL a) > ɛ̄ (incl. OSL e) > ē (incl. OSL i) > ī > ɛi (eg. bíða > bithe /pɛiθ/, fœða > feithe /fəiθ/, sær > see /sɪə/, gata > giate /cɛat/)
  12. Long vowel breaking: ī > əi, ē > ɪə, ɛ̄ > ɛa, ō (= OSL o) > ʊə, ø̄ > ʏə (note /ū/ alone does not break)
  13. Low vowel diphthong smoothing: ai > ē, au > ɑ̄ > ɒ̄ (eg. heimr > heim /çēm/, lǫg > law /lɒ̄/)
Last edited by Znex on 06 Apr 2024 03:54, edited 2 times in total.
:eng: : [tick] | :grc: : [:|] | :chn: :isr: :wls: : [:S] | :deu: :ell: :rus: : [:x]
Conlangs: Hawntow, Yorkish, misc.
she/her
VaptuantaDoi
roman
roman

Re: Yorkish

Post by VaptuantaDoi »

Hooray! I was hoping for a thread on this. Your samples looked juicy.
Znex wrote: 04 Apr 2024 08:22 Yorkish (Eurcisc /ˈʏrcɪsc/) is an Insular North Germanic language spoken in Yorkrice (ie. across our Yorkshire and going partway south) and in pockets in Angland. It is closely related to its southern sibling Markish,
I assume Markish is OTL English?
Znex
roman
roman

Post by Znex »

VaptuantaDoi wrote: 04 Apr 2024 10:52 Hooray! I was hoping for a thread on this. Your samples looked juicy.
Znex wrote: 04 Apr 2024 08:22 Yorkish (Eurcisc /ˈʏrcɪsc/) is an Insular North Germanic language spoken in Yorkrice (ie. across our Yorkshire and going partway south) and in pockets in Angland. It is closely related to its southern sibling Markish,
I assume Markish is OTL English?
Actually Markish is to be another North Germanic descendant that's even more Anglicised than Yorkish. Take Yorkish to reflect the adoption of Old Norse by a mainly Northern Old English speaking population, and I've tried to follow the path Old English took to our modern-day Scots and traditional Northern English dialects like Cumbrian and Geordie and older variations of Yorkshire dialect. Markish is the Midlands equivalent: a mesolect between Yorkish and Anglish (the actual OTL English). I'll eventually write more on both.
:eng: : [tick] | :grc: : [:|] | :chn: :isr: :wls: : [:S] | :deu: :ell: :rus: : [:x]
she/her
Arayaz
roman
roman

Post by Arayaz »

I saw a ton of translations you did with this, and it's nice to see a thread for it!
Proud member of the myopic-trans-southerner-Viossa-girl-with-two-cats-who-joined-on-September-6th-2022 gang

:con: 2c2ef0 Areyaxi family Arskiilz Kahóra Abisj
my garbage Ɛĭ3

she/her
Visions1
greek
greek

Post by Visions1 »

I was wondering where you put info on this. Now I know it's here.
I'm sure this will be a chock-full thread
Ælfwine
roman
roman

Post by Ælfwine »

I love Germ-langs so I can't wait to see more of this
My Blog

A-posteriori, alternative history nerd
Znex
roman
roman

Post by Znex »

Spelling conventions

Traditional Yorkish

The traditional (and to this day still very common) Yorkish spelling is little different from the spelling of Old Yorkish, although in the last century it has received some reform to reflect the modern-day pronunciation and regularise rhyming correspondences. It is also variable, and many common words may have alternate or dialectal spellings that can also be found in the historical corpus.

Alphabet

The traditional alphabet consists of 25 letters.

Code: Select all

Letter  |  Name           |  Most common representation(s)
Aa         [ɛa]              /a ɛa/
Bb         [pɪə]             /p/
Cc         [cçɪə]            /c(ç)/
Dd         [tɪə]             /t/
Ee         [ɪə]              /ε əi ɪə/
Ff         [εf]              /f/
Gg         [cɪə]             /k c/
Hh         [ɛac]             /h ç/
Ii         [ɛi]              /ɪ ɛi/
Ʒʒ         [jʊək]            /j ʲ Ø/
Kk         [kʰʊə]            /k(ʰ)/
Ll         [ɛl]              /l/
Mm         [ɛm]              /m/
Nn         [ɛn]              /n/
Oo         [ʊə]              /ɒ ʊə/
Pp         [pʰɪə]            /p(ʰ)/
Rr         [ɒːr]             /r/
Ss         [ɛs]              /s/
Tt         [tʰɪə]            /t(ʰ)/
Uu         [jʏə]             /ʊ ʏə/
Vv         [fɪə]             /f/
Ww         [tʰweːvɒld̻ fɪə]   /w/
Xx	   [ɛxs]             /ks/
Yy	   [krɛk ɛi]         /ɪ ɛi/
Zz	   [sɛt]             /s j/
The choice between <p t c k> and <b d g> when word-internal is etymological, but the use of <b d g> generally has become more common in the last century, although proscribed in formal and standard usage. Double consonants spelled after a vowel are used to indicate the vowel is short, while singleton consonant spellings indicate the vowel is long, although there are many cases where a singleton spelling after a monograph vowel when ending a word is simply read to indicate a short vowel. eg. <cisse> /cçɪs/, <cuise> /cçʏəs/, but <cet> /cçɛt/.

<x y z> mostly appear in loanwords, but <y> is sometimes also used to reflect the etymological spelling of some native Yorkish words, and <z> is a sometime variant of <ʒ>.

Spelling-to-sound correspondences

When it comes to spelling vowels especially, traditional Yorkish spelling broadly does not reflect the actual pronunciation letter by letter as in continental Nordic usage, but the correspondence is not always unpredictable. There are common practices of spelling with some exceptions.

It must be noted also that there are some common cases where the spelling is defective and multiple sound values correspond to the same spelling; there is no predictable rule to these other than etymological. These cases are sometimes met with alternative spellings.

Letter(s)	|  Environment					|  IPA		|  Examples
a	           in stressed syllables (before cons.) + <e>	   /ɛa/		   gate, sae, tale, thae
		   in stressed syllables before <r>		   /ɒː/		   giare, harthle, igiar
		   in stressed syllables before mult. cons.	   /a/		   bank, glath, mat, watter
		       or before word-final cons.
		   stressed word-final				   /ɒː/		   bra, ma, tha, oʒsa
		   in unstressed syllables pre-stress		   /a/		   aback, aweʒ
		       otherwise				   /ə~ɪ/   	   annar, aikarn, fella
ai		   in stressed syllables			   /ɛa/		   aikarn, gait, hwair
		   historically, but now uncommon		   /eː/		   baithe, haim, laipe 
aʒ		   in stressed syllables	 		   /ei~eː/	   faʒr
au/w	   	   in stressed syllables			   /ɒː/		   braw, daw, aull, lauth
		       otherwise				   /ə/		   feilaw
e		   in stressed syllables (before cons.) + <e>	   /ɪə/		   breve, cere, spele, tree
		   in stressed syllables before mult. cons.	   /ɛ/		   cenne, cet, dreppe, ether, merk
		   in unstressed syllables pre-stress		   /ɛ/		   ennae
		       otherwise				   /ə~ɪ/   	   druccen, ether, ien, watter
ea		   in stressed syllables after palatals	   	   /ɛa/		   geate, sceathe
ei		   in stressed syllables		   	   /əi/		   ceike, feithe, meite
								   /eː/		   beithe, geime, leipe, reice
e(i)ʒ		   in stressed syllables			   /ei/		   eʒ, seʒe, weʒ
eu/w	   	   in stressed syllables			   /ʏə/		   beuthe, leuthe
								   /ɪʊ/		   reuke, sʒeuk
i		   in stressed syllables (before cons.) + <e>	   /ɛi/		   flie, liʒe, sithe, skrive
		   in stressed syllables before mult. cons.	   /ɪ/		   big, cisse, finne, ill
		   in unstressed syllables word-finally		   /i/		   forthi
		       otherwise				   /ə~ɪ/
iʒ		   in stressed syllables before stops		   /ɪç/		   biʒt
		       otherwise				   /ɛi/
		   in unstressed syllables word-finally		   /i/		   hwarniʒ
o		   in stressed syllables (before cons.) + <e>	   /ʊə/		   kone, noe
		   in stressed syllables before mult. cons.	   /ɒ/		   komme, morʒen, stoppe, thot
ou		   in stressed syllables			   /uː/		   hous, nou, out
								   /ʊə/		   boue, douth, houth
u		   in stressed syllables before mult. cons.	   /ʊ/		   guth, kunne, skulle
		       						   /ʏ/		   druccen, sulten
ui		   in stressed syllables			   /ʏə/		   bluith, cuise, guith, luith
y		   in stressed syllables (before cons.) + <e>	   /ɛi/		   bye, styre
		   in stressed syllables before mult. cons.	   /ɪ/		   bygʒe, cyrre, fylle, nytte
Normalised Yorkish
Normalised Yorkish (or Scandinavian Yorkish) as a spelling system was developed in the 1800's as an effort to boost Yorkish cultural prestige in the eyes of the broader European world. It still enjoys official and governmental usage today and is frequently taught to foreigners and migrants as part of their Yorkish language classes, but Normalised Yorkish does not have much popular usage among the broader populace.

Alphabet

The normalised alphabet consists of 31 letters, identical to the Danish alphabet, with additional letters borrowed from Icelandic to represent the dental fricatives lost in Mainland Scandinavian.

Letter  |  Name           |  Most common representation(s)
Aa         [ɛa]              /a ɛa/
Bb         [pɪə]             /p/
Cc         [sɪə]             /k(ʰ) c(ç) s/
Dd         [tɪə]             /t/
Ðð         [εθ]              /θ/
Ee         [ɪə]              /ε əi ɪə/
Ff         [εf]              /f/
Gg         [cɪə]             /k c/
Hh         [hɒː]             /h ç/
Ii         [ɛi]              /ɪ ɛi/
Jj         [jɒθ]             /j ʲ Ø/
Kk         [kʰɒː]            /k(ʰ)/
Ll         [ɛl]              /l/
Mm         [ɛm]              /m/
Nn         [ɛn]              /n/
Oo         [ʊə]              /ɒ ʊə/
Pp         [pʰɪə]            /p(ʰ)/
Qq         [kʰʊə]            /kʰw/
Rr         [ɒːr]             /r/
Ss         [ɛs]              /s/
Tt         [tʰɪə]            /t(ʰ)/
Uu         [jʏə]             /ʊ ʏə/
Vv         [fɪə]             /w f/
Ww         [tɒbəl fɪə]       /w/
Xx	   [ɛxs]             /ks/
Yy	   [krɛk ɛi]         /ɪ ɛi/
Zz	   [sɛt]             /s j/
Þþ	   [θɒrn]            /θ/
Ææ	   [anər ɛa]	     /ɛa/
Øø	   [ʏə]		     /ʏə/
Åå	   [ɒː]		     /ɒː/
Normalised Yorkish follows the rule of writing Yorkish as if it were Danish. This includes adding extra vowels and consonants where they are never sounded in Yorkish because they reflect the phonetic state of affairs in Mainland Scandinavian. Some of these differences don't add up to much, but full sentences in Normalised Yorkish can look very different to the Traditional equivalent.

eg.
TY : The norwind oʒ the suil war thretten um hwilk war the starker, hwan ei undrer kom wi at sweipt i warm cape.
NY : Ðen norðenvind og ðen søl var þretten om hvilk var ðen starkere, hvan en undrer kom við at sveipet i varme kjæpe.
she/her