Whale Linguistics

A forum for discussing linguistics or just languages in general.
Arayaz
roman
roman

Whale Linguistics

Post by Arayaz »

AAAAA IT'S HAPPENING

https://www.bbc.co.uk/future/article/20 ... peak-whale

Does anyone here have any other resources about language in whales, dolphins etc.? It's been for a while my favorite emerging field of linguistics. In fact, if I were an adult now with linguistic education, I'd want to be working with them. Anyone else have information about this?
Proud member of the myopic-trans-southerner-Viossa-girl-with-two-cats-who-joined-on-September-6th-2022 gang

:con: 2c2ef0 Ruykkarraber family Areyaxi family Arskiilz Makihip-ŋAħual family Kahóra Abisj
my garbage Ɛĭ3

she/her
Salmoneus
MVP
MVP

Re: Whale Linguistics

Post by Salmoneus »

This seems rather over-egged. Playing a noise game - which you can do with a cat or a dog - is not the same as having a conversation. Even if whales can speak, they wouldn't necessarily use speech when playing a turn-taking noise game.

I don't have any resources off-hand but you can search for them fairly straightforwardly, I think.

The only really successful thing I'm aware of is analysis of bottlenose dolphin naming customs.

Short version: dolphins appear to introduce themselves by saying their own name when they meet other dolphins.

Dolphin names appear to consist of a personal name and a matronymic. That is, each dolphin's name consists of two parts, with a personal part and an inherited part. The inherited part is the personal part of their mother's name.
Visions1
greek
greek

Post by Visions1 »

I remember hearing Orcas have complex "language" like Salmons said, but it's tied to food resources or something = along with naming. I'm having trouble finding this though.
Gosh I wish there was a compilation of stuff like this for animal conlanging. A cetacean conlang would be so cool, and with some other oceanographic world building, you could make some stuff.
Arayaz
roman
roman

Post by Arayaz »

Salmoneus wrote: 10 Apr 2024 23:04 This seems rather over-egged. Playing a noise game - which you can do with a cat or a dog - is not the same as having a conversation. Even if whales can speak, they wouldn't necessarily use speech when playing a turn-taking noise game.
True, but it's fun nevertheless. And it's obviously not the culmination of the research.
Salmoneus wrote: 10 Apr 2024 23:04 The only really successful thing I'm aware of is analysis of bottlenose dolphin naming customs.

Short version: dolphins appear to introduce themselves by saying their own name when they meet other dolphins.

Dolphin names appear to consist of a personal name and a matronymic. That is, each dolphin's name consists of two parts, with a personal part and an inherited part. The inherited part is the personal part of their mother's name.
This is really cool! Thank you.
Visions1 wrote: 11 Apr 2024 08:22 Gosh I wish there was a compilation of stuff like this for animal conlanging. A cetacean conlang would be so cool, and with some other oceanographic world building, you could make some stuff.
Yeah, animal conlanging is something I really want to try sometime. Probably for a bird species or such.
Proud member of the myopic-trans-southerner-Viossa-girl-with-two-cats-who-joined-on-September-6th-2022 gang

:con: 2c2ef0 Ruykkarraber family Areyaxi family Arskiilz Makihip-ŋAħual family Kahóra Abisj
my garbage Ɛĭ3

she/her
Omzinesý
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Omzinesý »

Salmoneus wrote: 10 Apr 2024 23:04Short version: dolphins appear to introduce themselves by saying their own name when they meet other dolphins.
It could be a possible way to say 'Hello' in a human culture, too.
'Hi, I'm Omzinesý!', though I had met the person zillion times and they well knew who I am.
My meta-thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5760
Arayaz
roman
roman

Post by Arayaz »

Omzinesý wrote: 13 Apr 2024 18:15
Salmoneus wrote: 10 Apr 2024 23:04Short version: dolphins appear to introduce themselves by saying their own name when they meet other dolphins.
It could be a possible way to say 'Hello' in a human culture, too.
'Hi, I'm Omzinesý!', though I had met the person zillion times and they well knew who I am.
Oooh, what if after this developed, people started clipping their names when used as greetings? So I'd say "Ara" as my own personal greeting, and you'd say "Omzi," and Salmoneus would say "Salm" (heh, that looks like it was formed from S-L-M), or something like that.

And if this was combined with that Russian thing where a shortened version of a name serves as a vocative, greeting someone could just be a shortened version of their name plus a shortened version of your name! So if I were to greet Khemehekis, I would say "Kheme ara!" or something like that, and if he greeted me, he'd say "Ara kheme!" But if I'd never met Khemehekis, I would say "Khemehekis, Arayaz," since he might not've known my first name. Or maybe the old vocative would still be used in formal contexts; if it were, say, an -au suffix, I'd say "Khemehekisau, Arayaz" to introduce myself to him.

Thoughts?

my garbage Ɛĭ3

she/her
Visions1
greek
greek

Post by Visions1 »

A Salmoneus Aklaykum. Alaykum A Salmoneam.

I would only shorten it in the context of the names already being known. But for me, this would be a great time to conculture rules about who you tell your name to.
Omzinesý
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Omzinesý »

I read https://medium.com/predict/how-complex- ... 77065e313d
Dolphin language seems to be even more complex than that of humans. They can send two messages simultaneously. I once tried to make a conlang like that but it never went far. But it also seems that the names are all we understand about it atm.

But, yes that looks like an interesting topic.
My meta-thread: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=5760