Fredauon Fun Facts

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Re: Fredauon Fun Facts

Post by Creyeditor »

I'd be in on that.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
VaptuantaDoi
roman
roman

Post by VaptuantaDoi »

Creyeditor wrote: 08 May 2024 13:40 Left turns at an intersection are dangerous and a major cause of accidents *here* and probably also *there*.
But that only makes sense if they drive on the right, and if they've only got one-way roads, then they're not really driving on either side. Plus it's more natural to drive on the left so that your good eye and good hand are directed towards oncoming traffic.
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

I was thinking they might have something like one-way pairs.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
VaptuantaDoi
roman
roman

Post by VaptuantaDoi »

Creyeditor wrote: 09 May 2024 11:12 I was thinking they might have something like one-way pairs.
Forgive my obstinance but ... isn't that how two-way roads work (?)
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

I am not sure about the terminology but I thought of a one-way pair as two one-way streets (with opposing directions) that are independent and separated by some space. If you would turn left (assuming you drive on the right-hand lane) and then go straight, you would still have to cross the opposing one-way street.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

Fredauon Fun Fact #40
The elves traditionally live in tree houses, i.e. cabin-like buildings constructed on large tree branches. Historically, they were only used for ritual purposes and in times of war but during the Great War they became the standard housing. They are still in use after the Great War and areas populated by elves are known as The Houses In The Trees.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

Fredauon Fun Fact #41:
Wizard historians standardly divide the history and prehistory of Fredauon into eras. The initial period is the Era Of Anthropogenesis, where evolution lead to the speciation of humans. This is followed by the Era Of Population (aka the Era Of Settlement), where humans spread across the three main continents of Fredauon. Afterwards, many historians add the Era Of State-Building, which includes the first civilizations as well as the establishment of the Wizard Republic. This precedes the Era of Discovery, where Wizards invaded and colonized the southern part of The Continent. This lead to the Great War, after which the Wizards cut all official relations to their former enemies in a period known as the Era of Isolation. After some time, relations where re-established in the Era of Reconciliation. As space travel became possible and contact with alien civilizations was established in the Space Age, history ceased to be specific to Fredauon and becamethe history of Fredauon and its planetary system.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

Fredauon Fun Fact #42:
One main purpose of the state in the Wizard Republic is the (re-)distribution of resources. If one part of the republic has a drought and a bad harvest, the granaries will be opened and food resources will be redirected to the affected population. This 'tax' system traditionally consisted of regular meetings at the local town hall tower, where peasants and other regular inhabitants would 'voluntarily donate' parts of their resourcesto the local civil servants, such as the mayor, in a specific ritual that usually included music. This served both to support the local bureaucracy as well as to provide safety for times of drought on both the local and the national level.
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."