Random phonology/phonemic inventory thread [2011–2018]

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Xing
MVP
MVP

Re: Random phonology/phonemic inventory thread

Post by Xing »

Darkgamma wrote:
xingoxa wrote:Retroflex consonants - like other postalveolars - can be formed with a variety of passive POA's (from the alveolar ridge to the hard palate) and tongue shapes (laminal, apical and subapical).

According to the Wikipædia articles on postalveolar and retroflexe consonants, it seems like the defining features distinguishing [ʂ], [ʃ] and [ɕ], is that [ɕ] is fully/strongly palatalised, [ʃ] is partially/weakly palatalised, and [ʂ] is non-palatalised.
The retroflexes are also characteristically below the alveolar ridge.
Wikipædia wrote: Retroflex consonants, like other coronal consonants, come in several varieties, depending on the shape of the tongue. The tongue may be either flat or concave, or even with the tip curled back. The point of contact on the tongue may be with the tip (apical), with the blade (laminal), or with the underside of the tongue (subapical). The point of contact on the roof of the mouth may be with the alveolar ridge (alveolar, the area behind the alveolar ridge (postalveolar), or the hard palate (palatal).
Darkgamma
banned

Post by Darkgamma »

xingoxa wrote:
Darkgamma wrote:
xingoxa wrote:Retroflex consonants - like other postalveolars - can be formed with a variety of passive POA's (from the alveolar ridge to the hard palate) and tongue shapes (laminal, apical and subapical).

According to the Wikipædia articles on postalveolar and retroflexe consonants, it seems like the defining features distinguishing [ʂ], [ʃ] and [ɕ], is that [ɕ] is fully/strongly palatalised, [ʃ] is partially/weakly palatalised, and [ʂ] is non-palatalised.
The retroflexes are also characteristically below the alveolar ridge.
Wikipædia wrote: Retroflex consonants, like other coronal consonants, come in several varieties, depending on the shape of the tongue. The tongue may be either flat or concave, or even with the tip curled back. The point of contact on the tongue may be with the tip (apical), with the blade (laminal), or with the underside of the tongue (subapical). The point of contact on the roof of the mouth may be with the alveolar ridge (alveolar, the area behind the alveolar ridge (postalveolar), or the hard palate (palatal).
I don't see how retroflexes might be alveolar if not still curved back. They'd still be further back than alveolars.
Svo hvernig get ég annað en glott á þig dauðlega?
Xing
MVP
MVP

Post by Xing »

More from good 'ol Wikipædia (for those who choose not to look up the page by themselves)

The main combinations normally observed are:
Laminal post-alveolar, with a flat tongue. These occur, for example, in in Polish cz, sz, ż (rz), dż and Mandarin zh, ch, sh, r.
Apical post-alveolar, with a somewhat concave tongue. These occur, for example, in Hindi and other Indo-Aryan languages. (Hindi has no retroflex sibilants, although some of the other Indo-Aryan languages do.)
Sub-apical palatal, with a highly concave tongue. These occur particularly in the Dravidian languages. These are the dullest and lowest-pitched type, and when following a vowel often add strong r-coloring to the vowel, sounding as if an American English r occurs between the vowel and consonant.
Apical alveolar, with a somewhat concave tongue. These occur, for example, in peninsular Spanish and Basque. These sounds don't quite fit on the front-to-back, laminal-to-subapical continuum, with a relatively dull but higher pitched sound.
Darkgamma
banned

Post by Darkgamma »

xingoxa wrote:More from good 'ol Wikipædia (for those who choose not to look up the page by themselves)

The main combinations normally observed are:
Laminal post-alveolar, with a flat tongue. These occur, for example, in in Polish cz, sz, ż (rz), dż and Mandarin zh, ch, sh, r.
Apical post-alveolar, with a somewhat concave tongue. These occur, for example, in Hindi and other Indo-Aryan languages. (Hindi has no retroflex sibilants, although some of the other Indo-Aryan languages do.)
Sub-apical palatal, with a highly concave tongue. These occur particularly in the Dravidian languages. These are the dullest and lowest-pitched type, and when following a vowel often add strong r-coloring to the vowel, sounding as if an American English r occurs between the vowel and consonant.
Apical alveolar, with a somewhat concave tongue. These occur, for example, in peninsular Spanish and Basque. These sounds don't quite fit on the front-to-back, laminal-to-subapical continuum, with a relatively dull but higher pitched sound.
My Wikipædia page on retroflexes' open
Chagen
runic
runic

Post by Chagen »

xingoxa wrote:
Chagen wrote:It's common sense to assume that "Dddddddddd" is not an acceptable syllable in Gskcar. Because it's unpronouncable.
Difficult, but not impossible to pronounce. Just make and ordinary /d/, and hold it about 10 times longer.
Actually, a native Gskcar would instinctivly pronounce "Dddddddddd" as a huge amount of /d/s. In a row. Without stopping to breathe.
Nūdenku waga honji ma naku honyasi ne ika-ika ichamase!
female-appearance=despite boy-voice=PAT hold boy-youth=TOP very be.cute-3PL
Honyasi zō honyasi ma naidasu.
boy-youth=AGT boy-youth=PAT love.romantically-3S
Darkgamma
banned

Post by Darkgamma »

Chagen wrote:
xingoxa wrote:
Chagen wrote:It's common sense to assume that "Dddddddddd" is not an acceptable syllable in Gskcar. Because it's unpronouncable.
Difficult, but not impossible to pronounce. Just make and ordinary /d/, and hold it about 10 times longer.
Actually, a native Gskcar would instinctivly pronounce "Dddddddddd" as a huge amount of /d/s. In a row. Without stopping to breathe.
That would make it [dədədədədədədədədəd] at best, and [d.d.d.d.d.d.d.d.d.d] if you be lucky
Chagen
runic
runic

Post by Chagen »

If there's no vowels in the word, then the word is not supposed to be pronounced with vowels. At all. Inserting a vowel in there at all is incorrect in all Gskcar dialects.
Xing
MVP
MVP

Post by Xing »

Chagen wrote:If there's no vowels in the word, then the word is not supposed to be pronounced with vowels.
[+1]
Xing
MVP
MVP

Post by Xing »

Chagen wrote:If there's no vowels in the word, then the word is not supposed to be pronounced with vowels. At all. Inserting a vowel in there at all is incorrect in all Gskcar dialects.
But you can pronounce a series of d's (or other plosives) with a release phase to each d, as opposed to pronouncing them as a long, outdrawn d.
Chagen
runic
runic

Post by Chagen »

What I meant was that if a word has no written vowels, then it must be pronounced as one massive consonant cluster. No exceptions. Even one vowel to ease the pronounciation is wrong. Suck it up and pronounce those 26-obstruent clusters...
Darkgamma
banned

Post by Darkgamma »

Chagen wrote:What I meant was that if a word has no written vowels, then it must be pronounced as one massive consonant cluster. No exceptions. Even one vowel to ease the pronounciation is wrong. Suck it up and pronounce those 26-obstruent clusters...
Insta-labeled KSL
Chagen
runic
runic

Post by Chagen »

Okay, the chance of a 26-Obstruent cluster is rare, but it's technically possible.
Darkgamma
banned

Post by Darkgamma »

Chagen wrote:Okay, the chance of a 26-Obstruent cluster is rare, but it's technically possible.
Not that, but the sheer illogicality
There's no pattern or anything to what you've mentioned.
Even Salishan language phonotactics (even though unknown) are neither rabid nor random
taylorS
sinic
sinic

Post by taylorS »

Chagen wrote:Okay, the chance of a 26-Obstruent cluster is rare, but it's technically possible.
Look up the Salishan languages up on Wiki, they are a language family spoken my some Native Americans of the Pacific NW and they have some words with wicked clusters and no vowels.
thetha
mayan
mayan

Post by thetha »

Nuxálk has plenty of words without vowels but I've noticed it has none without fricatives from what I've seen (as long as you consider aspiration to be an underlying /h/), which leads me to believe fricatives phonologically pattern as continuants in the languages. For example, we have the word sc̓q, pronounced [st͡sʼqʰ]. The way I see it, this word could be interpreted as having one or two syllables, with /s/ and/or /h/ as a syllable nucleus.
Trailsend

Post by Trailsend »

Theta wrote:Nuxálk has plenty of words without vowels but I've noticed it has none without fricatives from what I've seen (as long as you consider aspiration to be an underlying /h/), which leads me to believe fricatives phonologically pattern as continuants in the languages. For example, we have the word sc̓q, pronounced [st͡sʼqʰ]. The way I see it, this word could be interpreted as having one or two syllables, with /s/ and/or /h/ as a syllable nucleus.
How much data have you looked at?
任何事物的发展都是物极必反,否极泰来。
Darkgamma
banned

Post by Darkgamma »

Theta wrote:Nuxálk has plenty of words without vowels but I've noticed it has none without fricatives from what I've seen (as long as you consider aspiration to be an underlying /h/), which leads me to believe fricatives phonologically pattern as continuants in the languages. For example, we have the word sc̓q, pronounced [st͡sʼqʰ]. The way I see it, this word could be interpreted as having one or two syllables, with /s/ and/or /h/ as a syllable nucleus.
You might quite be on to something here.
thetha
mayan
mayan

Post by thetha »

Trailsend wrote: How much data have you looked at?
A moderate amount. I haven't looked at tons, but I'd say I'm familiar enough with it.
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

In a single syllable it's hard to find a natlang that allows consonant-clusters longer than four consonants or vowel-clusters longer than four vowels.

In a single word it's hard to find natlang that allows consonant-clusters longer than seven consonants.

The maximum consonant-cluster syllable structures seem to be either up to three consonants in the onset and up to four in the coda, or up to four consonants in the onset and up to three in the coda.

Some people may know of some natlang that allows more than that, but I don't.

Lots of natlangs, though, do allow syllables without vowels. Such syllables are almost always at most two phonemes long, though.

Consonantal nuclei (a.k.a. syllabic consonants) are usually sonorants; liquids or nasals. (Not semivowels, because if a semivowel were the nucleus it would be heard as a vowel instead of as a semivowel. Unless I'm wrong, of course.)
Consonantal nuclei that aren't sonorants are still mostly continuants, like fricatives.

That helps explain why Nuxalk (sp? I know it's wrong, I just don't know what's right) usually has a sonorant or fricative in its all-consonant syllables, and why IIUC most of its all-consonant syllables are rather shortish (am I right about that?).

But some people think even some 'lects of English allow stops as nuclei in some words, such as a syllabic /b/ in <probably>.

What would really be unusual would be for a click or an ejective to be a syllable nucleus.
thetha
mayan
mayan

Post by thetha »

You almost got it right, it's Nuxálk, with an acute. And I do believe most of the consonant-only syllables are short, you rarely see one more than three or four consonants, unless you abuse the affix system like they did to get that bunchberry thing.