Project: Life-form picture dictionary -- multilingual

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Re: Project: Life-form picture dictionary -- multilingual

Post by Khemehekis »

Did the humans today -- come and check out how they come out at https://creator.nightcafe.studio/u/Khemehekis

Can't get it to do "fetus" or the collective "youth" right. Hmmmmm.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 92,500 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

@Khemehekis: Well done!
….
Does that Galaxy have all the taxonomic domains RL Earth has? Do they have any RL Earth doesn’t have?
Does that Galaxy have all the taxonomic kingdoms RL Earth has? Do they have any RL Earth doesn’t have?
Does that Galaxy have all the taxonomic phyla and divisions RL Earth has? Do they have any RL Earth doesn’t have?
Does that Galaxy have all the taxonomic classes RL Earth has? Do they have any RL Earth doesn’t have?
Does that Galaxy have all the taxonomic orders RL Earth has? Do they have any RL Earth doesn’t have?
Does that Galaxy have all the taxonomic families RL Earth has? Do they have any RL Earth doesn’t have?
….
My guesses are:
Domains: yes, no.
Kingdoms: yes, no.
Phyla and divisions: apparently probably so, apparently probably not.
Classes: apparently at least most of them, apparently probably not.
Orders: can’t be sure it has all but it seems to have many, can’t be sure but it looks like it doesn’t have any RL Earth doesn’t have.
Families: I don’t think so but I could be wrong, maybe so but it depends how these terms are interpreted in light of the current encyclopedia of life-forms.
….
I would be hugely surprised if their biome had exactly the same genera our biome has!

One way of looking at your life form pictorial encyclopedia is that it has exactly the same kingdoms and phyla; and close to the same classes, or, a very similar set of very similar classes.

I think it would be unlikely that every RL Earth order has its Lehola Galaxy analog; or, that every Lehola Galaxy order has its RL Earth analog!
But clearly it has some (maybe even many?) that seem very analogous.
I don’t know how one could prove or disprove that most of each biome’s orders are like the other biome’s orders.

I doubt that most of the families of each biome can be matched up with an analogous family in the other biome!
Some of them do seem to have near-analogs, though; and so do some genera and some species. (Homo sapiens, e.g.)
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

eldin raigmore wrote: 23 Jun 2023 02:40 @Khemehekis: Well done!
Thanks!
Does that Galaxy have all the taxonomic domains RL Earth has? Do they have any RL Earth doesn’t have?
It has all of Earth's domains.

For reference, see: viewtopic.php?p=310844#p310844 and the following post.
Does that Galaxy have all the taxonomic kingdoms RL Earth has? Do they have any RL Earth doesn’t have?
All six of Earth's kingdoms are represented in the Lehola Galaxy. It also has tlagephlaoms (which sort of take the place of fungi) and planimals, and most importantly, some plant kingdoms other than green plants (descended from different types of algae). Black plants, indigo plants, blue plants, blue-green plants, golden plants, red plants, pink plants, brown plants . . .
Does that Galaxy have all the taxonomic phyla and divisions RL Earth has? Do they have any RL Earth doesn’t have?
The planets with a human bioswath have all of Earth's phyla and divisions represented among them. Kankonia also has the phylum Palynozoa, the quonts -- non-metazoan marine animals that reproduce like plants. A quont produces an edible fruit called a vwobiz. Several species of vwobizes/quonts can be found at open-air markets.

Planets without a human bioswath often have major differences in their line-up of phyla and divisions from Earth. Planets with black and other non-green plants have a different (bot usually analogous) line-up of animal phyla and plant divisions.
]Does that Galaxy have all the taxonomic classes RL Earth has? Do they have any RL Earth doesn’t have?
I think Kankonia has all of Earth's classes. It also has 512-legged myriapods called quinquacentipedes, protochordates called spirochordates with spines that spiral around their notochords, and gymnosperms like the hanschts (woody bamboo-like gymnosperms) and surasmas (trunk gymnosperms with snake-plant-shaped leaves spiraling around from the rim of the trunk).

Less-human planets have different classes from Earth. There are mammalogues, ornithologues, reptologues, amphibiologues, ichthyologues, entomologues, arachnologues, crustaceologues, usually, but the class division doesn't always line up one-on-one with Earth's. And some planets, like Shaleya and Lisseti, have totally different taxa for which trying to find an equivalent phylum/class/order on Earth is a fool's errand.
Does that Galaxy have all the taxonomic orders RL Earth has? Do they have any RL Earth doesn’t have?
All of Earth's orders are represented somewhere in the Lehola Galaxy, maybe even Austrobaileyales.

Kankonia has the mesuga order of mammals, which resemble furry lizards; the bird order Triprosopiformes, which includes the three-faced kmatumosumos; living ctenothrissiforms; and an order of insects called Hemicycloptera. Most planets without humans go wild in order differences.
Does that Galaxy have all the taxonomic families RL Earth has? Do they have any RL Earth doesn’t have?
You can probably find even the small, obscure families of Earth somewhere in the Lehola Galaxy; it's a vast galaxy. Many, many families Earth doesn't have (to give just one example, Kankonia has a family of long-necked carnivorans called Siraughidae, after its most famous member, the siraugh).
I would be hugely surprised if their biome had exactly the same genera our biome has!
No two inhabited Leholan planets have the exact same set of genera as each other. No Leholan planet has the exact same set of genera as Earth.
One way of looking at your life form pictorial encyclopedia is that it has exactly the same kingdoms and phyla; and close to the same classes, or, a very similar set of very similar classes.
The picture dictionary uses my Lehola word-list (mostly the UNIVERSAL WORDS (20) and EARTH SPECIES (200) sections), but it's adapted for Terran natlangs, so only the life-forms that are real on Earth or are established in Terran mythology are included.
♂♥♂♀

eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Thanks! I understand better now (I think)!
You have put a lot of effort and creativity into the various biomes of the various planets in the Lehola Galaxy!
Thanks also for that link!
Arayaz
mayan
mayan

Post by Arayaz »

Hi guys, this is just a quick update - I'm currently away and will very rarely be on the forum. Sorry for not being active.
proud member of the myopic-trans-southerner-viossa-girl-with-two-cats-who-joined-on-september-6th-2022 gang

my garbage2c2ef0, areyaxi family, arskiilz, kahóra, xúuuatxia family, alushi, njabad, ẹlnk, kakúsan

she/her
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

eldin raigmore wrote: 23 Jun 2023 15:19 Thanks! I understand better now (I think)!
You have put a lot of effort and creativity into the various biomes of the various planets in the Lehola Galaxy!
Thanks also for that link!
You're welcome (including for that link)!

@Üdj: Any idea what day you'll be back?
♂♥♂♀

Arayaz
mayan
mayan

Post by Arayaz »

A week or so, probably.
proud member of the myopic-trans-southerner-viossa-girl-with-two-cats-who-joined-on-september-6th-2022 gang

my garbage2c2ef0, areyaxi family, arskiilz, kahóra, xúuuatxia family, alushi, njabad, ẹlnk, kakúsan

she/her
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Üdj wrote: 24 Jun 2023 20:50 A week or so, probably.
Oh, OK. Should I leave the birds open for you?
♂♥♂♀

Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Somebody suggested DALL-E to me as a system that draws insects well. It worked!

254 pictures now (it says 255, but there are duplicates for spinach). Check out https://creator.nightcafe.studio/tag/cb ... dictionary !
♂♥♂♀

Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

I typed in "Grey aliens", and got DALL-E to draw some Greys for me! Score!
♂♥♂♀

Arayaz
mayan
mayan

Post by Arayaz »

I am briefly back - and amazing progress!

she/her
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Üdj wrote: 29 Jun 2023 03:20 I am briefly back - and amazing progress!
[+1]

Today I got all the lepidopterans and hymenopterans done! [:D] I've done all the insects, except I'm not sure I've got the lice labeled/selected correctly. I'm no phthirapterist, so if you know your lice check out https://creator.nightcafe.studio/search ... dictionary and tell me if I have the head louse, body louse, crab louse, and nit labeled correctly.
♂♥♂♀

Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Today I did a clam, an aquatic snail, some figs, and some oats, all with DALL-E.

Also used 3 credits to make a new domestic goose (using DALL-E), since my old one had weird legs.
♂♥♂♀

Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Hey Üdj, do you still want to do the rest of those birds?
♂♥♂♀

Arayaz
mayan
mayan

Post by Arayaz »

Yes! In fact, I have the eagle and/or hawk ─ I don't know the difference. https://creator.nightcafe.studio/creati ... 3Zz1s1ypOL

she/her
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Üdj wrote: 05 Jul 2023 00:46 Yes! In fact, I have the eagle and/or hawk ─ I don't know the difference. https://creator.nightcafe.studio/creati ... 3Zz1s1ypOL
I can't tell which it is either. My mother is a bird expert, so she should know. I emailed her.
♂♥♂♀

Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

She wrote back:
Well, since it’s a created image, it can’t be called either one. It’s a nice bird, but it doesn’t look like any species I’ve ever seen.

So I guess he can call it either one, but it would be very cool if he could think of a new name for it. Just thinking of all the Pokémon names they had to create…
Maybe request "bald eagle", and then request "red-tailed hawk"?
♂♥♂♀

Arayaz
mayan
mayan

Post by Arayaz »

Khemehekis wrote: 05 Jul 2023 07:20 She wrote back:
Well, since it’s a created image, it can’t be called either one. It’s a nice bird, but it doesn’t look like any species I’ve ever seen.

So I guess he can call it either one, but it would be very cool if he could think of a new name for it. Just thinking of all the Pokémon names they had to create…
Maybe request "bald eagle", and then request "red-tailed hawk"?
I'll try that, thanks.

she/her
Arayaz
mayan
mayan

Post by Arayaz »

Got the eagle immediately; the hawk took a bit more trouble (and credits), but I got it in the end. It has a watermark, which we can hopefully crop out when it's time to actually make the book.

Speaking of which, can you give me some more info about the book? I know of one way to self-publish, called Bookwright; unfortunately, it's fairly expensive (10-20 dollars for an average-sized softcover book, I'd guess, and more for hardcover), so if anyone can suggest something better, I'd love to learn about that.

Also, what will be the format? I imagined a picture on one page, then the word in English and various other languages, as well as maybe some biological information about it, possibly in those multiple languages. Maybe at the back of the book, it would have a list of all the languages included, including the creators of the conlangs.

she/her
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Üdj wrote: 05 Jul 2023 18:00 Got the eagle immediately; the hawk took a bit more trouble (and credits), but I got it in the end. It has a watermark, which we can hopefully crop out when it's time to actually make the book.
Excellent! I gave a like to both of them, clicking on the [<3] button.
Speaking of which, can you give me some more info about the book? I know of one way to self-publish, called Bookwright; unfortunately, it's fairly expensive (10-20 dollars for an average-sized softcover book, I'd guess, and more for hardcover), so if anyone can suggest something better, I'd love to learn about that.
I planned to make the book, pasting in all the pictures, as a Corel WordPerfect document. It would be free, and wouldn't have a hardcover or paperback cover so to speak (you'd use it on your computer).
Also, what will be the format? I imagined a picture on one page, then the word in English and various other languages, as well as maybe some biological information about it, possibly in those multiple languages. Maybe at the back of the book, it would have a list of all the languages included, including the creators of the conlangs.
I imagined a few pictures on each page, especially for things like snake (cobra, python) or goat (nanny-goat, billy-goat, kid) that have a headword joining several pictures together. It would be like the Oxford Picture Dictionary or the First Thousand Words books: there would be several editions, and each edition would be either monolingual English (the original one) or English + one other language (so there would be a Spanish book, a Portuguese book, a German book, a Japanese book, an Arabic book, a French book, a Korean book, a Mandarin book, an Indonesian book, and so on). You would also be able to make books for your conlangs -- if your conworld had all these creatures.
♂♥♂♀