Random Conworld idea thread

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
zyma
korean
korean

Re: Random Conworld idea thread

Post by zyma »

eldin raigmore wrote:
k1234567890y wrote:... rouge ....
Did you mean "rogue"?
If not, what is a "rouge planet"?
While it's true that it would be grammatically acceptable to use either word to fill the spot in question, in the context of their post and the one that followed, only "rogue" makes sense. Spelling mistakes happen, but a single one doesn't often obscure the meaning of an entire paragraph.
The user formerly known as "shimobaatar".
(she)
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

shimobaatar wrote:
eldin raigmore wrote:
Did you mean "rogue"?
While it's true that it would be grammatically acceptable to use either word to fill the spot in question, in the context of their post and the one that followed, only "rogue" makes sense. Spelling mistakes happen, but a single one doesn't often obscure the meaning of an entire paragraph.
This word has clearly undergone metathesis.
Image Śād Warḫallun (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

shimobaatar wrote:
eldin raigmore wrote:
Did you mean "rogue"?
Does it really? "Rogue" would have no context in the sentence. Rogue of what? Rouge, as in Martian rouge, would make more sense though.
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
zyma
korean
korean

Post by zyma »

qwed117 wrote:
shimobaatar wrote:
eldin raigmore wrote:
Did you mean "rogue"?
Does it really? "Rogue" would have no context in the sentence. Rogue of what? Rouge, as in Martian rouge, would make more sense though.
I said in the context of two posts, not one sentence. But even in the context of their first sentence, a mention of color wouldn't make as much sense as a clarification that the planet in question is rogue.
(she)
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

shimobaatar wrote:
qwed117 wrote:
shimobaatar wrote:
eldin raigmore wrote:
Did you mean "rogue"?
I said in the context of two posts, not one sentence. But even in the context of their first sentence, a mention of color wouldn't make as much sense as a clarification that the planet in question is rogue.
You are right, the lack of sunlight should've tipped me off. [xD]
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo »

shimobaatar wrote:Fascinating ideas. I just find it so interesting to imagine what might evolve in a world without light.
I've also been contemplating a setting on a tidally-locked world where the day side is too hot to sustain life, but the winds brings along enough warm air from the day side to keep the night side nice and temperate. So all of the inhabited parts are on the night side, and have to deal with the constant hurricane-force winds and torrential rains.
My pronouns are <xe> [ziː] / <xym> [zɪm] / <xys> [zɪz]

My shitty twitter
Ànradh
roman
roman

Post by Ànradh »

Chagen wrote:By the way, if you want an idea of what an Aspectual Soul is capable of, this is pretty much the best example. That's a Heavenborn (who somehow has six arms) fighting an Aspectual Soul right there.
I know this is totally besides the point you're making, but it seems to me that game's got too much spectacle and not enough game!
Sin ar Pàrras agus nì sinne mar a thogras sinn. Choisinn sinn e agus ’s urrainn dhuinn ga loisgeadh.
zyma
korean
korean

Post by zyma »

Micamo wrote:I've also been contemplating a setting on a tidally-locked world where the day side is too hot to sustain life, but the winds brings along enough warm air from the day side to keep the night side nice and temperate. So all of the inhabited parts are on the night side, and have to deal with the constant hurricane-force winds and torrential rains.
Quite interesting as well. Do you think there might be any spot on the night side that would avoid being hit too hard by inclement weather due to being far enough away from the day side?
(she)
Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo »

It depends on the specific parameters of the planet: My conception was that the habitable zone on the night side would be relatively close to the "twilight zone." The twilight and day regions would be too hot, and the area opposite of the substellar point would be too cold. Everywhere habitable would face the same wind and rain problem, though with ecological differentiation between different regions. Some areas could be protected though by mountain chains.

My shitty twitter
zyma
korean
korean

Post by zyma »

Micamo wrote:It depends on the specific parameters of the planet: My conception was that the habitable zone on the night side would be relatively close to the "twilight zone." The twilight and day regions would be too hot, and the area opposite of the substellar point would be too cold. Everywhere habitable would face the same wind and rain problem, though with ecological differentiation between different regions. Some areas could be protected though by mountain chains.
Ahh, that makes sense; thank you.
(she)
k1234567890y
mayan
mayan

Post by k1234567890y »

eldin raigmore wrote:
Did you mean "rogue"?
seems that I made a mistake...
Micamo wrote:I briefly considered a similar idea for the sci-fi collabworld before I decided not to join. I went instead though with an ocean world with life under a thick sheet of ice, on a moon with a high-eccentricity orbit around a rogue gas giant. The tidal heating causes the volcanoes, which keeps the oceans beneath the ice at a nice, comfortable temperature, but with no light to speak of anywhere.
that reminds me of Europa, a moon of Jupiter.
shimobaatar wrote:
k1234567890y wrote:I have had an idea before, that a rouge planet with an atmosphere pressure high enough to keep liquid water, and the atmosphere is also thick enough to keep heat generated by volcanic activities...however, due to the lack of sunlight, multicellular creatures with organs evolving from that planet, if any, won't have eyes, and intellectual beings may rely on sonar rather than eyes to distinguish objects.
Micamo wrote:I briefly considered a similar idea for the sci-fi collabworld before I decided not to join. I went instead though with an ocean world with life under a thick sheet of ice, on a moon with a high-eccentricity orbit around a rogue gas giant. The tidal heating causes the volcanoes, which keeps the oceans beneath the ice at a nice, comfortable temperature, but with no light to speak of anywhere.
Fascinating ideas. I just find it so interesting to imagine what might evolve in a world without light.
thank you for your appreciation :) shimobaatar
I prefer to not be referred to with masculine pronouns and nouns such as “he/him/his”.
Salmoneus
MVP
MVP

Post by Salmoneus »

FWIW, AIUI current models of tidally-locked planets do not predict hurricane-force winds, unless the planet is so hot that the atmosphere is basically being stripped from it. Instead, there's a more gradual temperature gradient - the key is that there would be hurricane winds if you just suddenly created the planet, with one side burning and the other freezing, but in practice the planet will have been around for a while, so there will never be such a sharp gradation to drive the winds. Consider on earth, for instance: it can be sixty above in the Flaming Mountains, and sixty below only a thousand miles away in Siberia, but there's very little wind from one place to the other.
Elsewhere in the solar system, Uranus is tilted on its side, and combined with an 84-year orbit this means that the polar regions have winters/summers lasting decades. But this doesn't dent the wind patterns.
Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo »

That assumes a slow rotator: The models I read predict high, westward winds (strongest at the equator and weakest at the poles) in situations where the tidally-locked planet is revolving around its sun relatively fast. That's what I had in mind, though a slow rotator is also a valid conworld idea.

My shitty twitter
Salmoneus
MVP
MVP

Post by Salmoneus »

Well, any planet rotating really quickly will have fast winds, regardless of locking.
Chagen
runic
runic

Post by Chagen »

Ànradh wrote:
Chagen wrote:By the way, if you want an idea of what an Aspectual Soul is capable of, this is pretty much the best example. That's a Heavenborn (who somehow has six arms) fighting an Aspectual Soul right there.
I know this is totally besides the point you're making, but it seems to me that game's got too much spectacle and not enough game!
Yeah, Asura's Wrath is basically a 3D anime that makes you press some buttons to get to the next scene. However, I have heard that it's still a really cool game with a nice story and a lot of over-the-top awesome-ness. I'm trying to track down a copy so I can finally experience it myself.

Also, the whole "Sci-Fi Hinduism" thing it's got going on is so goddamn cool.
Nūdenku waga honji ma naku honyasi ne ika-ika ichamase!
female-appearance=despite boy-voice=PAT hold boy-youth=TOP very be.cute-3PL
Honyasi zō honyasi ma naidasu.
boy-youth=AGT boy-youth=PAT love.romantically-3S
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

I've been asking myself for years why I'm so predisposed to dislike the sort of "over-the-topness" that you're describing that is so common in anime and manga, yet I kind of enjoy Bleach, which is as full of those as any other anime (perhaps moreso). Maybe it's the fact that it seems better integrated into the lore while others ask me to merely ignore physics for no apparent reason? No idea.

All of this is my long-hand way of saying I'd probably hate that game.

But, that's really beside the point...
Last edited by Thrice Xandvii on 06 Oct 2015 11:23, edited 1 time in total.
Ahzoh
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Ahzoh »

Thrice Xandvii wrote:I've been asking myself for years why I'm so predisposed to dislike the sort of "over-the-topness" that you're describing that is so common in anime and manga, yet I kind of enjoy Bleach, which is as full of those as any other anime (perhaps moreso). Maybe it's the fact that it seems better integrated into the lore while others ask me to merely ignore physics for no apparent reason? No idea.

All of this is my long-hand way of saying I'd probably hate that game.

But, that's really beside the point...
If you would hate the game for it's seeming over-the-topness (aren't a lot of mythologies like that?), one could appreciate the premise behind the whole thing: that wrath, despite seeming negative, can grant the power to overcome any obstacle.
Image Śād Warḫallun (Vrkhazhian) [ WIKI | CWS ]
Chagen
runic
runic

Post by Chagen »

Some random Dreamwrought Motifs I came up with. I'm trying to nail their themes down.

Hazy Mist Warp: The Gossamer Viziers effortlessly exploit the hazy uncertainties of reality. Activating this Motif makes thick, syrup-y Gossamer leak from the Dreamwrought's hands. For the next minute, she may choose to dodge an attack by mentally attacking her aggressor, trying to convince him that she was actually in a completely different location. This is an attempt to influence. If she wins, the Dreamwrought may declare that she was at a location up to 20 yards away, at which point she instantly appears there. Everyone who witnesses this believes she was always there, even her confused opponent. This influence can be resisted.

Entwined With Thy Sword: Dreamwrought warriors are truly one with their weapons. The Dreamwrought infuses her weapon with her soul. If she is disarmed, she may reflexively declare that she was her weapon. This makes her immediately disappear, and spew from her weapon in a blob of Gossamer.

Attainment Warp: If there is no one to observe a place, who truly knows what is there? The Dreamwrought may trigger this Motif when she needs one of her possessions. By reaching into a place no one else can see, such as a concealed drawer, a dark alleyway, or a trash bin, she may retroactively alter reality and pull that possession from that place, claiming that it was always there. If but one sentient being sees the place she reaches into, though, then the illusion fails and she pulls nothing, and may not activate this Motif for the rest of the scene until she has left the sight of all who saw her.

Universal Re-arrangement Skill: Editing reality is much easier than moving things physically. This Motif upgrades Attainment Warp, allowing the Dreamwrought to pull any grabbable object she sees, instantaneously warping it to her position. She may steal an important book from a library simply by looking at it from across the street and reaching into her drawer. However, no one but herself can look at the object or be holding while she is doing this. If they are, then she must exert mental influence on them. Under no circumstances can a Dreamwrought steal something a Divinity-wielder is physically touching. She may steal divine artifacts, but not if they have a Rank higher than half her Divinity (round up).

Dreamy Aptitude Transference: Gossamus' Children find in the dreams of others truly succulent aptitude. This Motif must be used against someone who is sleeping. Touching her hands to their head and humming softly, the Dreamwrought probes their mind and extracts an area of competency from them, implanting it into herself. She may take the 15 years of battlefield experience from a master swordsman, or the street-forged knowledge of larceny from a thief. However, this is only an innate ability; she may have massive combat experience now, but she is unable to actually train anyone or even describe it. She also may not augment this new competence with any kind of divine ability. In addition, she expresses this competency in a caricature of her victim's unique quirks--anybody who knew the victim can tell that she is blatantly using their techniques, and if they declare this to her face the illusion breaks and the competency rushes back to the original owner. This also disappears after a number of hours; the larger the gulf between the Dreamwrought's ability and the stolen ability, the quicker it dissipates. This Motif can also be used to weaken a Dreamwrought's skills, such as intentionally taking on the "intelligence" of a stupid person to effortlessly fool interrogators.
Nūdenku waga honji ma naku honyasi ne ika-ika ichamase!
female-appearance=despite boy-voice=PAT hold boy-youth=TOP very be.cute-3PL
Honyasi zō honyasi ma naidasu.
boy-youth=AGT boy-youth=PAT love.romantically-3S
Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo »

So apparently this thread is for random details about your own world, and not just a dumping spot for stuff you don't intend to actually use? What?

I can get behind this I guess.

Somehow I forgot that I made this thread and the purpose behind it. Oops. Also by god my posts from 4 years ago are painful as fuck to read

The Sapphires have strange ideas about education.
Tangbei stared in horror at the thin, black arrow shaft sticking out of the snow, still quivering. He felt a warm stream run down his leg. He watched the knife fly toward his feet, flung as casually as if it were a sack of oats. "Do it" the older man said, his voice as numb and uncaring as a freezing stream.

Nwomo let a laugh ring through the thick copse of trees around them from atop her stout white-haired mizyo, breaking the wintery stillness. "Ercunngen, be reasonable" she said. "It's just a rabbit, and he's just a boy. Let him slide, it's not worth all this."

The man turned and snarled at the woman, his blue eyes burning with a cold fire and bulging nearly out of his head. "Would a whiteling whore have been reasonable, woman? Would their demon hounds have shown mercy? Tangbei has hidden by his father's fires for 20 crossings. The world will show him no mercy, and neither will I. The weak must be culled if the herd is to survive. He is old enough to know this, and to pay the price of failure as we all must."

Tangbei suddenly became aware of Ercunngen's gnarled hands. He was missing his pinkie fingers on both hands, and the third finger on his right. Three failures to hit a target. Enough failures such that he could no longer hold a bow, and he'd have been tossed out of the tribe with nothing but his skin, left to starve alone and naked in the woods.

Ercunngen grabbed him by the throat. "Quit stalling, you little shit! Do it now, or I will take two from you!"

Tangbei let his hands slide down to grab the knife out of the snow. His hands trembled as he pressed its edge to his left pinkie, at the base knuckle connecting it to his hand. He winced as a tiny pinprick of blood came out of his skin from the tiniest touch. His uncle Ecunngen did like to keep his knifes sharp.

He felt his uncle's grip tighten around his neck, saw his uncle's scowl turn murderous. Before he could think too much about it and stop himself, Tangbei thrust the knife downward, letting it bite into the flesh and bone.

He screamed as he blood came gushing out, a white-hot fountain pouring from where his finger used to be. His uncle let go of his neck, satisfied. And then everything went black.

My shitty twitter
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

Salmoneus wrote:Well, any planet rotating really quickly will have fast winds, regardless of locking.
I wonder if rapidly-spinning planets without an atmosphere still might have some kind of wind analogue?
Dust-devils? Dust-storms? Would those kinds of particulate suspensions even work w/o an atmosphere\in a vacuum close to a planet's surface???
:wat:
:?:

[after wiking Mercury & Moon...]

I believe I mean "existence of autochthonously-generated winds in a surface-bound exosphere"
(vis-à-vis Solar Wind remnants, or from exoplanet Tidal forces)
???