A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Sumelic
greek
greek

Re: Interesting Ideas

Post by Sumelic »

GamerGeek wrote:
Ælfwine wrote:
GamerGeek wrote:A philosophical language with no grammar words or pronouns--instead, it is done in declension.
So a polysynthetic lang?
Not quite.
What I'm saying, is use a bunch of cases, and put pronouns (or at least nominitive pronouns) into the verb.
WALS Ch. 35, "Plurality in Independent Personal Pronouns," by Michael Daniel mentions
two languages reported to have no plural independent subject pronouns or no independent subject pronouns at all: Acoma (Keresan; New Mexico) and Wari’ (Chapacura-Wanham; Brazil).
Frislander
mayan
mayan

Post by Frislander »

GamerGeek wrote:
Ælfwine wrote:
GamerGeek wrote:A philosophical language with no grammar words or pronouns--instead, it is done in declension.
So a polysynthetic lang?
Not quite.
What I'm saying, is use a bunch of cases, and put pronouns (or at least nominitive pronouns) into the verb.
Mate, do you know how much stuff comes under "grammar words" (by which you mean function words)? It's not just cases and polypersonal marking we're talking about, it's TAM, negation and voice as well. Put that all in and you're getting pretty close to polysynthesis, if not quite there.
Isfendil
greek
greek

Post by Isfendil »

Frislander wrote:
GamerGeek wrote:
Ælfwine wrote:
So a polysynthetic lang?
Not quite.
Mate, do you know how much stuff comes under "grammar words" (by which you mean function words)? It's not just cases and polypersonal marking we're talking about, it's TAM, negation and voice as well. Put that all in and you're getting pretty close to polysynthesis, if not quite there.

Just wanted to clarify that Frislander means this frankly, and also to add that yes, a fair few polysynthetic languages do this.
I also wonder if since pronominal state is bound to verbs that pronominal case is represented by converbs?
holbuzvala
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by holbuzvala »

1. A language with only voiced consonants (perhaps good for singing?)

2. A hyper-irregular language with NO rules for forming plurals, and past-tense of verbs, say. Just have the different forms of a word formed with a random word generator. However, I'd probably do this with a language that doesn't have cases or too many verbal distictions of TAM, as otherwise it'd become too outlandish.

3. A Icelandic-Basque creole (which is actually a mishmash of the two languages, as opposed to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basque%E2 ... dic_pidgin )
Frislander
mayan
mayan

Post by Frislander »

holbuzvala wrote:1. A language with only voiced consonants (perhaps good for singing?)
Well there are quite a few Aboriginal Australian languages which are reported to do that, so it's not unattested. I'm not sure how that would help with the singing.
3. A Icelandic-Basque creole (which is actually a mishmash of the two languages, as opposed to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basque%E2 ... dic_pidgin )
Well that's not a creole, that's a mixed language, but it's still a neat idea.
Esneirra973
sinic
sinic

Post by Esneirra973 »

A Brythonic language with great influence from Romance languages.
Isfendil
greek
greek

Post by Isfendil »

gokupwned5 wrote:A Brythonic language with great influence from Romance languages.
N
Breton is not this?
TBPO
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Re: Conlang mini-ideas

Post by TBPO »

A language in which every sentence is an image. We can do nice things with that language:
-picking random image from the internet and translating it into this conlang
-making image that look like simple sentence but be a fractal and have infinite depth
-translating GIFs into this conlang (meanings change fluently!)
-FRACTAL GIFS
-making a computer game, being simultaneously a story told in this language
-making conlang's logo
-theoretically this post have the secret meaning in this conlang
TBPO
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Re: Conlang mini-ideas

Post by TBPO »

I have also an idea for romance language which has bilabial clicks that evolved from Latin qu