Concooking

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
hadad
sinic
sinic

Concooking

Post by hadad »

What are some recipes you've made and actually named in a conlang? There's Aksha and Peskaksha. Peskaksha is basically Aksha with fish. Peska meaning fish. Aksha being a protein and fiber rich mix of several different beans, rice, pasta and grains. Sometimes also with cheese and vegetables. They're both Ishtarawi foods. Aksha actually means "mix/mixed" as a noun (inanimate, general nouns also may lack a suffix now, a recent change)
Know phrases in more languages than can fit in this signature.
Speaks English and Spanish.
Reads Sumerian.
There is more.
AlphaOnOne
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Re: Concooking

Post by AlphaOnOne »

obįrrį norį (Layered Flesh)
1 pork chop
1 beef tenderloin
1/2 cup black bean, pureed, mixed with 1tsp chile powder and 1tsp garlic powder

1) Slice the pork and the beef into very thin slices. (1/4 in.)
2) Lay the pork, beef and bean mixture in alternating layers, eg. Pork-Beef-Bean-Pork-Beef-etc.
3) Once the stack is about 5 in thick, cut the stack into a roughly rectangular shape.
4) Bake the finished stack in an oven until cooked through.
Native: :eng:
Fluent: :esp:
Bit Shaky: :jpn:
A Lot Shaky: :rus: :deu: :fin:

Conlangs: Image Namarį (27)
Neiman
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by Neiman »

This is a particular passion of mine. I have cookbooks that are more complete than my lexicons, and scant genealogies which look on my histories of cereal grains with envy...

Torozim se (Exotic Ears)
per person
1 large Onion
2 cloves garlic
1 slice ginger
Dark vinegar
Cured, spiced duck breast, fat on
Con dough (a flatbread made of grated carrot and hard wheat flour)

First, bury your codhei (a roughly conical, cast iron dutch oven with a small opening on top) into the coals and sand of your hearth (during festivals, a larger outdoor codhei makes a fine centerpiece). Pour a little water (or wine) in to watch for steaming, just enough to cover the bottom of the pot.

Peel and halve a hot onion - trim the root and remove the core. Make a paste of 2 cloves garlic and 1 thick wedge of ginger in a mortar, grinding it with salt and honey, to taste. Brush paste into core. Sprinkle with crushed pepper or grains of paradise and fill remaining cavity with dark vinegar, and set into the simmering water. Cover your codhei with fresh coals and place your Jem (a wok with an adjustable grate in the bottom for draining) over the codhei opening and let it heat.

After roughly forty-five minutes press the Con dough on the inside of the oven, or let rest on inner grate or shelf of the Codhei (some people hang them on hooks from the Jem's grate). Begin to render the fat from the duck in the jem, allowing the fat to drain into the Codhei, occasionally basting the breast. When fat has rendered and the duck has become crisp remove the breast and check the onions. They should be deeply browned and lightly charred, in a pool of juice and fat. The Con should be flexible and moist.

Serve the onions alongside the duck breast, scooping up the onion's juices with the con bread. Quickly frying the bread in fat would be unorthodox, but delicious. Eat communally, between glasses of mead, beer, and playful batting of eyes at significant others. (The onion, bread, and duck breast are supposed to look like large mismatched ears)
baalak
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by baalak »

I don't have specific recipes in mind for the Nolgal, but I've spent some time thinking about what their diet is like. Extrapolation is probably possible.

The Nolgal are omnivorous but hold a cultural belief that plants grown in the soil through the sweat of one's brow are fit only for slaves and flocks. The lowliest of plants one can grow are grain, followed by plants which one must uproot to harvest. Fruits or nuts picked from a living plant are acceptable to eat, but the work is detestable and best left for slaves. Gathered 'wild' plants, even those the Nolgal defend as a protected resource, make up the majority of the plant matter if the diet. As long as the seeds aren't planted with intent, and the whole plant isn't harvested, the shame of farming can be avoided.

Tending the flocks of sheep and goats is unglamorous work, but it is not so shameful that it is relegated to slave labor. Those who watch the animals also collect wool and milk, and contribute to a small cheese industry. Sheep and goat meat are a staple of the diet when the flesh of other animals are unavailable, but care must be taken to avoid eating too much of the flocks and hurting next year's production.

Hunted game is prestige food, shared with those of lower status as a means of maintaining power. When times are plentiful game animals make up the lion's share of the diet, and the organs are eaten alongside the flesh. Fish and fowl, too, are prised food supplies.

Preparation of food would likely be communal, with meat being slow roasted over coals and seasoned with herbs gathered from the hills. Organs and blood would find their way into stews and other wet cooking applications, along with soft cheeses. Many things would be cooked in rendered fat, and very little would be allowed to go to waste, finding its way into most dishes somehow. Gathered fruit would likely be dried, though it would see use as an ingredient in some dishes, and I could easily see it stuffed into a roasting beast. Meat beyond what could easily be eaten in the freshness window would be smoked, salted, or dried, though pickling and fermenting to stave off spoilage and intensify flavor would be practiced as well. Nuts might be eaten raw or roasted, and could easily be added to bags of chopped dried meat and fruit for hunters in the wild or soldiers in the field.

All in all, I picture the Nolgal having a diet very low in carbohydrates, and high in protein and fat. Their meals are usually prepared by the womenfolk and shared with the entire community. Those who are off tending the flocks are brought food and refreshments by their wives if they have any, siblings if unmarried.