Papisa-samama

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
rafaeru
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Papisa-samama

Post by rafaeru »

I found this conlang when I was looking for something about toki pona.
http://papisa-samana.yolasite.com/
Native: French Fluent: English, toki pona Learning: German, Esperanto, Chinese and Japanese.
Xing
MVP
MVP

Re: Papisa-samama

Post by Xing »

I suppuse the the kind of criticism that has been directed at other "minimalistic" conlangs - like TP and those of Arpee - can apply also to this conlang.

I find the description quite shallow - it says very little of the grammar.

Apparently this language is based in Zen and its ideas of "simplicity, beauty and quiet reflection", rather than on Daoism. The simplicity is apparently feflected in the small number of roots. In this respect the language is similar to TP. I don't know how "beauty" and "quiet reflection" are supposed to be reflected in the language.
Thakowsaizmu
runic
runic

Post by Thakowsaizmu »

I hate everything about it. None of it means anything.
Papisa-samama can be written as a symbolic language, like Chinese. The symbols equating to the sounds are
What the hell does that mean? Do these people think or do any research before making these inane languages?
...contributing to a lexicon of just 120 words...

Papisa-samama means word-flower
With a lexicon of 120 words does one really need a word for flower? How about a word for help? There's a thought. Oh wait, the design goal here isn't to be a functional language. That's right, I forgot.
hadad
sinic
sinic

Post by hadad »

And I thought some of my protolanguages were bad. And those were intentionally incomplete, because the rest of their grammar was to be replaced by completely other languages. In fact, their very existence was to justify the grammatical features of later languages, and not to actually be a speakable language (well... at least not in a legible manner).
Know phrases in more languages than can fit in this signature.
Speaks English and Spanish.
Reads Sumerian.
There is more.
broadwaytower
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by broadwaytower »

I think you are all being a little unfair. Papisa-samama is obviously an experiment. I think it does succeed in its brief; that is, to construct a langauge to express meaning through a very small number of elements. If a language can encapsulate the meaning of The Eightfold Path, as this does, it is at least on the way to succeeding.

If you actually study the language and apply it to the translation of The Eightfold Path, I think you will be suprised at the 'rich meaning' it sets out to give. I like the way one can string individual 'words' together to produce a startling, beautiful meaning; I especially like enlightenment translated as patima-tasama-simi, or deep-thought-light.

I also like the characters that the creator has composed. Obviously a lot of thought has gone into it. The number system is far more advanced than other 'micro-languages' such as Toki-pona and the notion of mixing the three basic colors is very good.

People who have dimissed this ART LANGUAGE have missed the point completely.
rafaeru
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by rafaeru »

I completely agree with you.
Native: French Fluent: English, toki pona Learning: German, Esperanto, Chinese and Japanese.
Thakowsaizmu
runic
runic

Post by Thakowsaizmu »

broadwaytower wrote:I think you are all being a little unfair. Papisa-samama is obviously an experiment. I think it does succeed in its brief; that is, to construct a langauge to express meaning through a very small number of elements. If a language can encapsulate the meaning of The Eightfold Path, as this does, it is at least on the way to succeeding.

If you actually study the language and apply it to the translation of The Eightfold Path, I think you will be suprised at the 'rich meaning' it sets out to give. I like the way one can string individual 'words' together to produce a startling, beautiful meaning; I especially like enlightenment translated as patima-tasama-simi, or deep-thought-light.

I also like the characters that the creator has composed. Obviously a lot of thought has gone into it. The number system is far more advanced than other 'micro-languages' such as Toki-pona and the notion of mixing the three basic colors is very good.

People who have dimissed this ART LANGUAGE have missed the point completely.
I think that you come off as an obvious puppet account. That said:

Experiment or not, it is a failure as a language and as a concept. It is essentially extra learning with the added benefit of nothing. It is not Buddhist, it is not Zen, it is honestly superfluous. What are you hoping to accomplish with it? I mean, let's be really really honest here. What does it honestly add? I get the point of an artlang, but really, this falls short in every way. There is no pragmatism to it. You need a parent language in order for this language to have any meaning at all whatsoever. And it is great that you can sloppily translate the Eight Fold Path, but how about the Lotus Sutra? How about the many concepts of Buddhism? Tathata, for example. Can you translate that for me? What about tat tvam asi? Can it explain the life cycle? Karma? Nirvana? Hell, you don't even have a word for Buddha, let alone Bodhisattva. If I am being unfair, you are being blind to legitimate criticism.
hadad
sinic
sinic

Post by hadad »

Also, Buddhism isn't just about being simple, it isn't about that at all. To me, the language seems lazylead.
Know phrases in more languages than can fit in this signature.
Speaks English and Spanish.
Reads Sumerian.
There is more.
broadwaytower
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by broadwaytower »

Edit: And it is great that you can sloppily translate the Eight Fold Path, but how about the Lotus Sutra?
If the Lord's Prayer can be translated into English, does it not follow that the Apostle's Creed should also translate just as well? If a language can express the meaning of The Eightfold Path, wouldn't it follow that it can express the Lotus Sutra? The only sloppiness here is the lack of imagination shown by some of the previous posts.
Edit: Buddhism isn't just about being simple, it isn't about that at all.
What is it about then? Simplicity (ajjavatā or asaṭha) is the quality of being uncomplicated, direct and easy to do or understand. It is the opposite of complexity, convolution, calculation and pretence.

Also, you insult me with your comment that this is a puppet account. I have no idea who the creator(s) of Papisa-samama is/are.
Thakowsaizmu
runic
runic

Post by Thakowsaizmu »

broadwaytower wrote: Also, you insult me with your comment that this is a puppet account. I have no idea who the creator(s) of Papisa-samama is/are.
It's not an insult, it is an observation.

And I understand what you think you are doing, but you have not answered any of the criticism at all. I do not believe you can, though, so it is alright.
Xing
MVP
MVP

Post by Xing »

broadwaytower wrote:
Edit: Buddhism isn't just about being simple, it isn't about that at all.
What is it about then? Simplicity (ajjavatā or asaṭha) is the quality of being uncomplicated, direct and easy to do or understand. It is the opposite of complexity, convolution, calculation and pretence.
I thought it was Taoism that was about simplicity. Could anyone explain the difference between the two religions then?
Edit: Modicone: Split the discussion on Taoism and Buddhism to this thread.