Right to left conlang

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
scribblemama
rupestrian
rupestrian

Right to left conlang

Post by scribblemama »

I recently had a font created for my conlang, seren. The script is written right to left, but my font does not work properly. I am new to computers, so most def can not do this myself. Does anyone know how to get my font to write right to left? Also, is anyone here interested in helping me with this?
Click
runic
runic

Re: Right to left conlang

Post by Click »

I am no expert about fonts, bt I think you can modify an existing font for a right-to-left script (Arabic, Hebrew et cetera).
.taht od t'nac uoy fi siht ekil etriw tsuj rO
nmn
sinic
sinic

Post by nmn »

2-4 wrote:I am no expert about fonts, bt I think you can modify an existing font for a right-to-left script (Arabic, Hebrew et cetera).
.taht od t'nac uoy fi siht ekil etirw tsuj rO
fixed that for you
Golahet
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Golahet »

2-4 kind of beat me to it, but I was going to say that you could map your conscript glyphs to e.g. Arabic code points, and then use an Arabic keyboard layout or make a custom keyboard layout for it. But I haven't ever made any font that counts and I'm far from an expert, so I can't give you much more help.
Click
runic
runic

Post by Click »

nmn wrote:
2-4 wrote:I am no expert about fonts, bt I think you can modify an existing font for a right-to-left script (Arabic, Hebrew et cetera).
.taht od t'nac uoy fi siht ekil etirw tsuj rO
fixed that for you
Thank you! [:)]
Golahet
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Golahet »

I haven't tried http://fontstruct.com/, but it should support Unicode according to the introductory video. I don't know what method you used for your font, or if your script fits into the squarish grid, but it might work.
scribblemama
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by scribblemama »

I really know nothing about computers. I am 30, grew up without electricity and only now own my first computer, so I lack the context to understand any of the above. More, I am just looking for someone who can help me make it work, so I can use it with open office to write. Or I would love to find someone to make a typewriter for me, with my conlang letters on the keys! :)
Golahet
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Golahet »

Put simply: If you want to write in another alphabet on your computer, e.g. Arabic, you need to change which mapping the operating system (which might be Windows in your case) uses between keys on your keyboard and the binary codes that represents the letters.

The binary code for Arabic ش is different from the binary code for š, etc. Unicode is a standard containing a lot of letters from around the world mapped to binary codes.

When you make a font, you just change/define the visual appearance of a letter. What I am suggesting is making a font that the computer thinks is a font for the Arabic script, where the Arabic letters just happen to look as your conscript's letters. Since the computer already knows that the Arabic script goes right-to-left, and from the point of view of your computer your conscript is just a funny looking font for Arabic, your conscript will be written from right-to-left too.

(Keyboard layout, Code point, Font, Unicode)

I feel adventurous today. If you send me a picture of your conscript, I am willing to try making a font with FontStruct.
lsd
greek
greek

Post by lsd »

[:x]
Last edited by lsd on 21 Aug 2013 16:32, edited 1 time in total.
Golahet
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Golahet »

If scribblemama already has a font of the conscript, then installing AbiWord seems like the easiest solution.

Could you describe the direction changing functionality of AbiWord further? How do you do to write with a boustrophedon with it? What happens when you export a document to HTML? Do it support export to PDF, and if so, what happens then?

My own conscript is a boustophedon.