Collective Conworld?

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
rforqs
rupestrian
rupestrian

Collective Conworld?

Post by rforqs »

Hello All!

I've recently created a fairly high quality map (at least in my mind and I'm open to criticism). But before I make a full blown conworld out of it, I wanted to give the community a chance to be a part of it. So, if anyone's interested check it out, the link is at the bottom. Everyone's welcome to join, I'm open to ideas since I've never done this before, and I hope we can have fun with this! I'll be more specific as to guidelines and requirements when I know people are interested and how many we're talking about. Questions? Comments?
Concerns? Go right ahead!

Hope you enjoy...
http://s1328.photobucket.com/user/Welts ... sort=3&o=0
kanejam
greek
greek

Re: Collective Conworld?

Post by kanejam »

Are the brown mountains? The map seems good!

But talking about collaborative conworlds, there already are quite a lot of collaborative conworlds out there, including the Akana project and the one in my signature. You certainly can try but for a really satisfactory conworld I advise you to DIY. Don't take this as criticism! After a while being part of the conlang community you get used to things like this.

Good luck with you're project though!
Yiuel
MVP
MVP

Post by Yiuel »

Dibs on the small island with a red spot, surrounded by green and a marine coast. I could build Sevy there anew :P
Ie Ien Iras Ĉiu
- Daneydzaus
Te tosrastai karsuraka me toskarmai!
- Yau 300-yai

:qbc: [tick], :eng: [:D], :fra: [:D], :epo: [:D], :jpn: [:D], :swe: [:|]
rforqs
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by rforqs »

kanejam wrote:Are the brown mountains? The map seems good!

But talking about collaborative conworlds, there already are quite a lot of collaborative conworlds out there, including the Akana project and the one in my signature. You certainly can try but for a really satisfactory conworld I advise you to DIY. Don't take this as criticism! After a while being part of the conlang community you get used to things like this.

Good luck with you're project though!
So yes, brown represents mountains (there is a legend on the corners of the map). I do plan to use this map myself but I just wanted to try it in a group for fun. After words I will be recycling the map for another use. Thanks for the feed back.

Also, to Yiuel, could you be a bit more specific? I don't want to give you the wrong place. Maybe describe it in relation to landmasses or volcanoes(red triangles)?
Yiuel
MVP
MVP

Post by Yiuel »

Ie Ien Iras Ĉiu
- Daneydzaus
Te tosrastai karsuraka me toskarmai!
- Yau 300-yai

:qbc: [tick], :eng: [:D], :fra: [:D], :epo: [:D], :jpn: [:D], :swe: [:|]
rforqs
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by rforqs »

Yiuel wrote:Or draw an orange circle [:P]
That works too. I think I'll stake a claim as well.Image
Trailsend

Post by Trailsend »

What kind of setting are you aiming for? Real-universe physics, or otherwise? Humans and more-or-less Earthlike fauna, or independently evolved organisms, or...?
(it/they)
任何事物的发展都是物极必反,否极泰来。
Avjunza
sinic
sinic

Post by Avjunza »

Can I take the red circle?

The Lands of the Ngāroakoi.
Mount Ngawēka in the south, its peak is said to be the bridge to the stars.
The smaller Mount Iura just to the north is where the Ngāroakoi built their ancient city of Eokunu, carved deep into the granite.
Could be dwarves, could just be a different culture of humans.

And any suggestions on a name for the world?
Kehgrehdid
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Kehgrehdid »

As long as this world is meant to be a globe, I'll take the island handing out at the edge. Looks like a good place for some kind of space program. (If it's flat, then maybe there's a society that has figured out rapid long-distance transportation that lives on both halves.)
"Cry me a river, build me a bridge, and get over it."

I marvel that the hardest parts of my life (fear, mistakes, guilt, sin, doubt, failure) are of man, while what I crave most (rest, hope, love, peace, forgiveness) are of God.
rforqs
rupestrian
rupestrian

Post by rforqs »

Glad to see some interest now. Hope I got all your claims right. My nephew named the planet Uq (ʊk or ʊx). I suppose it has slightly more gravity considering its larger size (maybe that could be compensated by having more aluminum or titanium in the crust). It is spherical and follows the same or similar physics to Earth. I'm not sure how many moons it has if any(or if it's a moon itself). It is colder than Earth but not extremely so and agriculture should be possible well into the upper 50's latitude at least. Anything else?

Kehgrehdid
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Kehgrehdid »

The island is called Solinga, and is inhabited by the Flaesir, a race of slender humanoids about thirty inches tall on average. More details to come.

I like the idea of aluminum/titanium in the crust, if I can figure out how the Flaesir refine it!
"Cry me a river, build me a bridge, and get over it."

I marvel that the hardest parts of my life (fear, mistakes, guilt, sin, doubt, failure) are of man, while what I crave most (rest, hope, love, peace, forgiveness) are of God.
✫✯♛Adnaan♛✯✫
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by ✫✯♛Adnaan♛✯✫ »

Can I take the archipelago to the west, I'm gonna call it the milaniyagar archipelago (which means abode of the milani), these people will establish the first river civilisation (like sumer and the Indus valley), they use the river which they call the jios river to irrigate their crops and also use the river for transportation and drinking water. Here's it marked on the map

benjamino59
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by benjamino59 »

I'll have the long island just northwest of Yiuel's.

What kind of creatures inhabitate this world? What technology level are they at?

Could someone please (maybe the OP) make up a quick sketch of those things, so that we can get started on it.

Also, remember that we don't all have to just pick a country, we could cooperate on making them.
Love, love, love... What is it good for? Absolutely nothing.
✫✯♛Adnaan♛✯✫
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by ✫✯♛Adnaan♛✯✫ »

It's great to see someone atleast respond in this thread, I've been waiting for a response for ages, if you look at the date of the last post (before), it was quite some days ago, and I think the person who has started this conworld has given up on it, or is just too busy, I personally want to carry on this project, and it really tickles my fancy.

benjamino59
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by benjamino59 »

What kind of technology should we roughly be aiming for? I suggest:
Post-modern. Something that could be somewhat into the future compared to us, maybe with one or two space colonies, but without or with very little contact to aliens.
Renaissance. This is my favourite time period, since it was when science, culture, art and technology really developed.
However, I'm open to all technology levels.

I don't think we should have humans or any kind of earthlings live on the planet, instead make up all kinds of plants, etc. Also, I think we should only have a single intelligent race, or have a few descendants from one ancestor (for example, my country is a seperate country, so maybe they would be a bit taller/smarter/madder/shorter/etc).

Another question, should the world have it's own physics/chemistry?

Also, I love conlanging, so I would love to spend a lot of time working on that for the conworld!
✫✯♛Adnaan♛✯✫
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by ✫✯♛Adnaan♛✯✫ »

Technology type
Personally I was thinking the technology type should be based on bronze-age and Iron age technology, because the first river-valley civilisations developed in the bronze age, and my civilisation is supposed to be one of the first civilisation in the con-world, however I'm open to all ideas, both our civilisations could co-exist in the con-world and one day our civilisations could meet, like how the conquistadors explored the world and came across civilisations like the Maya and Inca. You could still keep your civilisation & it could be more technologically advanced than mine, and when our two civilisations meet it could be a big clash of cultures. However like you said you're open to all technology types, you could be another early civilisation and we could trade with each other, our civilisations could develop over time and our technology types would get more advanced.

The type of creature which will live on our planet

Personally I think that's a great idea, if we made up our own race then that would be more creative then just having humanoids, however I was hoping on having humanoids because I wanted my civilisation to be based upon early civilisations. Having one single race is great I think, we should have a home-continent from where the race originated and then spread out across the planet, like how africa is our motherland and our ancestors moved across the earth.

Having our unique plants and species I think is great, and it really tickles my fancy, we could have plants which fit the needs of the creatures of our planet and chemistry of our planet.

Physics & chemistry

I think we should, because on different planets you have different physics and chemistry.

Conlang

That's a great idea as well, I wanted to great a new conlang, my present conlang is an Indo-Aryan dialect, and I'm thinking of creating a new Polynesian based language because of the simplicity and the look and feel of Polynesian languages, but I'd add some Indo-european elements within it, another idea I had was to create a "con-family" of Indo-european, like a sister language branch to the Balto-Slavic languages, Indo-Iranian, Germanic, Romance and other Indo-European language. families, however we could create our own language family, and my and your language could be part of the same language family
benjamino59
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by benjamino59 »

I think iron age would be a good, rough technology level to be aiming for, of course with some parts being more developed and some less compared to our world.

I think that the species could be human-like, but taller, better at remembering, can't swim and better at running and lifting, and maybe have a green-red skin. One thing I hate about aliens in science fiction is that they are almost identical copies, compared to humans who've got many different colours of skin and hair, so maybe people in hot places would be reddish, while people in cold places would be more greenish. Also, I think that they should have hair on their back heads (like humans), but no facial and body hair.

I think that if the spicies can't swim, they would be very evolved in making boats and maybe even some sort of airplane.

Also, I just got this idea, think if our real world was really just a conworld inside a "real" world, making our world "fiction"?
benjamino59
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by benjamino59 »

Just a quick mockup of an idea for a plant. It would have these big, meatful leaves, which would be eaten and grown by the species, maybe with the same importance and use as wheat in this world. In the winter, it would lose it's purple leafs, but not the red ones.

It could also be some sort of bush-thingy...
✫✯♛Adnaan♛✯✫
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by ✫✯♛Adnaan♛✯✫ »

OOh beautiful, the mock-up's very well drawn and creative, yeah that's a good idea ben, you said that this plant will be grown by the species, but for what use ?, is it a food-crop or used for medicinal purposes. Hmm, the idea of our world being fiction could be interesting, our creatures could tell stories of us and legends about us, yeah that'd be another great idea were they can't swim. Because you're the more arty-one, give us a graphical mock-up of how you want our creatures to look, from what you've proposed so far, it looks good [;)] /, In the mean time I'm gonna try to come up with the con-culture of our race and also some more plant species and animals [:D] .
benjamino59
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by benjamino59 »

✫✯♛Adnaan♛✯✫ wrote:OOh beautiful, the mock-up's very well drawn and creative, yeah that's a good idea ben, you said that this plant will be grown by the species, but for what use ?, is it a food-crop or used for medicinal purposes. Hmm, the idea of our world being fiction could be interesting, our creatures could tell stories of us and legends about us, yeah that'd be another great idea were they can't swim. Because you're the more arty-one, give us a graphical mock-up of how you want our creatures to look, from what you've proposed so far, it looks good [;)] /, In the mean time I'm gonna try to come up with the con-culture of our race and also some more plant species and animals [:D] .
I was thinking about having it be a food plant.

The conworld-thingy wasn't actually an idea, it was a philosophical view of the world that we -you, me and everyone else- live in. I just posted it, because I found the idea interesting from a philosophical viewpoint, that we maybe actually were just a movie or picture in the "real" world.

It's great that you're beginning on the culture. I'll probably think out something more about the intelligent species, maybe some plants and animals as well, and maybe even make a basic conchemistry, or begin working on the phonology of the conlangs in the world.