Gaku-speaking leopards!

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
Xing
MVP
MVP

Gaku-speaking leopards!

Post by Xing »

This is the Gaku conculture.

Gaku is spoken by anthropomorphic leopards. Since they are anthropomorphic, this variety of con-leopards differs a bit from nat-leopards. As for now, you can think of them as basically humanoids with spotted fur and whiskers.

They live on spaceships. They travel through space. Exactly why, I don't know yet. Perhaps they are exploring things, perhaps they're just fleeing from poachers.

There are spaceships of many different kinds and sizes:

*Single leopard vessels. For a single leopard. The leopard might live on a larger spaceship, and just be out on a temporary mission. The leopard might also live a more or less solitary life on the spaceship.
*Small group vessels. Might be made up of one or two families. Might also be made up of a group of leopards on some mission. Not more than 10 individuals.
*Mid-size vessels. Several families. This kind of vessel allows for a stricter hierarchy, and a more division of labour. They can range in size from more from 2-3 families, up to 10 or maybe 20 families. (Say they have more than ten, but not more than 100~150 individuals.
*Large-size vessles. May have several hundred leopards on them, and is usually divided into one various sub-units.

The spaceships are privately owned. The owner of each spaceship is therefore - in principle - its sovereign. Other inhabitants pay some form of rent to be allowed to live on the spaceship, and enjoy its protection. Spaceships might enter alliances with each other. A small spaceship might benefit from entering an alliance with another spaceship. Several small spaceships could form a coalition for mutual support. Small vessels could also enter a kind of protective alliance with a larger spaceship.

AMA.
Pirka
roman
roman

Re: Gaku-speaking leopards!

Post by Pirka »

I wasn't expecting Gaku to be spoken by leopards.

Does construction of new spaceships happen often? When it does, how does it work? Where does it happen? What are the legal bindings - if any - associated with it?

Also - is there one big Gaku flotilla, or do the Gaku travel in separate groups? How many Gaku are there, and how many spaceships?
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Do they live in fission-fusion groups like humans or chimps?

Do they know where their "home" planet -- planet of origin -- is?
Do any of them still have relatives living there?
Does the Gaku species still "own" that planet?

If several Gaku ships come together in a formation, how do they choose their command structure?

Do any such formations persist for any significant amount of time? If so how does an "admiral" get picked, and how does s/he function amidst "sovereign" captains?

Where and how and from whom do the Gaku obtain the resources needed to keep ships and shipboard life running?

What characteristics do they share with here-and-now real-life Earth's natural leopards?
Thakowsaizmu
runic
runic

Post by Thakowsaizmu »

Xing wrote:when it comes to religion, most of them are five-point calvinists.
How came they by Calvinism?
Xing
MVP
MVP

Post by Xing »

Pirka wrote: I wasn't expecting Gaku to be spoken by leopards.
Talking leopards aren't completely unheard of in fiction. From there, I suppose, it's just a tiny step for them to engage in space-travel. [:D]
Pirka wrote:Does construction of new spaceships happen often? When it does, how does it work? Where does it happen? What are the legal bindings - if any - associated with it?
They might use materials from planets or other astronomical objects they encounter to construct new spaceships, or to enhance the existing ones. In principle, a new spaceship created by previously unowned stuff would belong to whoever made it. In practice, the leopards inhabiting a certain spaceship might have agreed on various rules about what to do with this kind of newly acquired property. Probably, there might be some kind of Lockean provisio tacitly agreed on by the spaceships. A group of leopards devastating a whole planet through their activity would probably be ostracised by other leopards.
Pirka wrote:Also - is there one big Gaku flotilla, or do the Gaku travel in separate groups? How many Gaku are there, and how many spaceships?
It could probably be regarded as some kind of pluricentric flotilla. Technically, each owner of a spacecraft is its sovereign. In practice, though, his/her freedom is rather limited, since a lonlely spaceship - especially a small one - would be very disadvantaged, so thet tend to stick together in more or less formal coalitions. Or at least not upset any of the bigger guys.

There are plenty of monsters inhabiting the universe, it's best to stick together.

As for the size of the flotillla. I'm not 100% sure about this yet. Maybe there will be somewhere between 10000 and 50000 leopards altogether. Perhaps something like:

*About 20 large ships, averaging 500 leopards each
*500 medium-sized ships, averaging 50 leopards each.
*500 small size ships, averaging 5 leopards each.

These numbers might be adjusted.

eldin raigmore wrote:Do they know where their "home" planet -- planet of origin -- is?
Do any of them still have relatives living there?
Does the Gaku species still "own" that planet?
They probably originated from an alt-historiy earth - which would mean they still have leopard relatives there. (Unless they have become extinct). It's bit unclear how the Gaku leopards acquired language and space-travelling skills. (But again, we are never told how Bagheera learnt English.)
eldin raigmore wrote:If several Gaku ships come together in a formation, how do they choose their command structure?
It has to be specified in some form of contract. Sometimes, the commander of a larger and more prestigious ship might be expected to be the leader.
eldin raigmore wrote:Do any such formations persist for any significant amount of time?
Probably so. Perhaps an owner of a spacewhip might buy other spaceships. There will probably be a number of arrangements avaible - som ships will be totally 'free-roaming', other might have entered more or less temporal bonds with other spaceships. Perhaps the whole fleet will be more and more 'centralised' as time goes by - forming something like a nation-state made up of spaceships.
eldin raigmore wrote:Where and how and from whom do the Gaku obtain the resources needed to keep ships and shipboard life running?
They might gather resources from planets or other heavenly bodies they come across.
eldin raigmore wrote:What characteristics do they share with here-and-now real-life Earth's natural leopards?
They have rosettes, whiskers, retractable claws, etc. There are significant differences, though - their mental and linguistic skills are more on a human level. When it comes to walk, they can probably switch between bi- and quadrupedalism.
Thakowsaizmu wrote:How came they by Calvinism?
There are a number of theories concerning this. Many nat-leopards live in former British colonies - and perhaps Scottish presbyterians secretly evangelised to the feline population. They might also have come across calvinist websites.
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

Thakowsaizmu wrote:
Xing wrote:when it comes to religion, most of them are five-point calvinists.
How came they by Calvinism?
Via Hobbes...? Oh wait, he was a tiger. [:P]
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Given that I already know what a "Calvinsit" is; What's a "five-point" Calvinist?
----
Did you read Fred Hoyle's (do I have the right author?) "When Worlds Collide" (do I have the right title?)? Isn't there an intelligent talking alien space cat in that?
Xing
MVP
MVP

Post by Xing »

A five point Calvinist is someone who holds to the following five doctrines:
Thakowsaizmu
runic
runic

Post by Thakowsaizmu »

Xing wrote:
Thakowsaizmu wrote:How came they by Calvinism?
There are a number of theories concerning this. Many nat-leopards live in former British colonies - and perhaps Scottish presbyterians secretly evangelised to the feline population. They might also have come across calvinist websites.
I don't think there is a better answer than this [:D]
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

eldin raigmore wrote:Did you read Fred Hoyle's (do I have the right author?) "When Worlds Collide" (do I have the right title?)? Isn't there an intelligent talking alien space cat in that?
I appear to have had both the wrong title and the wrong author.
The author may have been Fritz Lieber; or not. If it was then I don't know what the title was; I was thinking "Wanderer" maybe but I think that's wrong too.
What's another ailurophile hard-SF author whose name starts with F?
Thakowsaizmu
runic
runic

Post by Thakowsaizmu »

eldin raigmore wrote:
eldin raigmore wrote:Did you read Fred Hoyle's (do I have the right author?) "When Worlds Collide" (do I have the right title?)? Isn't there an intelligent talking alien space cat in that?
I appear to have had both the wrong title and the wrong author.
The author may have been Fritz Lieber; or not. If it was then I don't know what the title was; I was thinking "Wanderer" maybe but I think that's wrong too.
What's another ailurophile hard-SF author whose name starts with F?
Ringworld and that series by Larry Niven has the Kzinti who are cat people.
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Thakowsaizmu wrote:Ringworld and that series by Larry Niven has the Kzinti who are cat people.
Indeed it does! That's not the story I was thinking of, but it's just as much to the point I was trying to make. So I won't continue to strain my brain trying to remember the one I forgot.
Xing
MVP
MVP

Post by Xing »

Do you think leopards would be supra- or infralapsarians? Maybe there will be rival factions.

Anyway, they would presumable be travelling in those parts of space where there are space-warthogs, which they can hunt.

The leopards are obviously looking for a planet with suitable trees - which they can inhabit. I need to think about the interior of the spaceships. Would there be artificial branches, on which the leopards sleep? Or could one imagine that they adapted to sleeping in beds?
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

Is it wrong that I image your Gaku-leopards to look like Khajiit?

(Except, obviously, with leopard markings.)
Lambuzhao
korean
korean

Post by Lambuzhao »

Xing wrote:Do you think leopards would be supra- or infralapsarians? Maybe there will be rival factions.

Anyway, they would presumable be travelling in those parts of space where there are space-warthogs, which they can hunt.
http://991.com/newgallery/Spacehog-Crue ... 111456.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-7ngHCcgAQEE/T ... ce%2B1.jpg

http://images.wikia.com/angrybirds/es/i ... e_pigs.png
:!:
The leopards are obviously looking for a planet with suitable trees - which they can inhabit. I need to think about the interior of the spaceships. Would there be artificial branches, on which the leopards sleep? Or could one imagine that they adapted to sleeping in beds?
If they don't use chairs, maybe something like those narrow beds shaped like ironing boards, like masseuses/masseurs use in their shops?

Ur-Sa the Mystic had one-
http://www.darkcrystal.com/site_images/ ... c_2256.jpg

That way, your Gaku could lay upon it, like a branch, but then have their paws free to work the controls.
:?: