Maurs

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Jojo87
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Maurs

Post by Jojo87 »

Last edited by Jojo87 on 24 Aug 2016 19:21, edited 1 time in total.
Currently working on: :con: Maurs mọs
---
Usual disclaimer about English not being my native language bla bla bla.
Thrice Xandvii
runic
runic

Re: Maurs

Post by Thrice Xandvii »

That script seems really familiar to me for some reason that I just can't place. Where might I have seen it before?
Pirka
roman
roman

Post by Pirka »

XXXVII wrote:That script seems really familiar to me for some reason that I just can't place. Where might I have seen it before?
Armenian maybe?
zyma
korean
korean

Post by zyma »

Jojo87 wrote:The syllable structure is C(j)V{r,l,n}C, (not sure on this one) and every consonant can be geminated.
Consonants can be geminated in any position in the syllable? Are there any conditions that regulate when consonants are geminated or not? Other than the allophonic rule you have about <j ts tc> between vowels, of course.

Jojo87 wrote:notice also that maurs distinguishes (in writing) the affricate /ts/ (written with a ligature, and romanized with z) from the sequence /t/+/s/, written with their respective components. compare zarnac - to search with tatsa - its house.
You seem to be pointing out that the distinction between <z> and <ts> is only made orthographically when you say "(in writing)". Why? It's common for languages to make phonetic/phonemic distinctions that they don't represent in writing, but I've never heard of it being the other way around (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Also, in the allophonic rule regarding the gemination of <j ts tc>, <z> isn't mentioned. If <ts> and <z> are phonetically/phonemically the same sound, wouldn't both be affected by this rule?

I think I'm probably just misunderstanding something you wrote.
Jojo87 wrote:The maurs language is written in its own alphabet. one of its peculiarities is the presence of a symbol to indicate gemination (a double consonant is used in the romanization).
I like the script. I agree with Pirka that it somewhat resembles Armenian, which is one of the most aesthetically pleasing natlang scripts in my opinion.

I also like the idea of having a symbol for gemination. Have you considered analyzing your phonology as having a chroneme?

In the romanization, how do you represent geminate <ts tc>?

Jojo87 wrote:this is (the first part of) The North wind and the Sun in the maurs script.
Would it be possible to show us a romanized version of this text?
The user formerly known as "shimobaatar".
(she)
Jojo87
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by Jojo87 »

shimobaatar wrote:Consonants can be geminated in any position in the syllable? Are there any conditions that regulate when consonants are geminated or not? Other than the allophonic rule you have about <j ts tc> between vowels, of course.
Consonants can only be geminated intervocally, sorry, I sorta tend to take for granted that gemination can only occur between vowels, even if that is not always the case.
shimobaatar wrote:You seem to be pointing out that the distinction between <z> and <ts> is only made orthographically when you say "(in writing)". Why? It's common for languages to make phonetic/phonemic distinctions that they don't represent in writing, but I've never heard of it being the other way around (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Also, in the allophonic rule regarding the gemination of <j ts tc>, <z> isn't mentioned. If <ts> and <z> are phonetically/phonemically the same sound, wouldn't both be affected by this rule?

I think I'm probably just misunderstanding something you wrote.
I'll try to rephrase it better: if the sound /ts/ appear in a morpheme than it is written z, if it appears as a combination of /t/ and /s( from two different morphemes, then it is written as ts.
so for example, zarnac is written with z because is a single morpheme, while tatsa (which comes from tat + sa) is written with ts.

The gemination rule affects both z and ts, as they are the same sound.
shimobaatar wrote:I also like the idea of having a symbol for gemination. Have you considered analyzing your phonology as having a chroneme?
I'm only marginally familiar with the concept, I'll think about it, but I will probably keep the analysis as it is now. : )
shimobaatar wrote:In the romanization, how do you represent geminate <ts tc>?
As they are always geminated intervocally the gemination is not represented, neither in the romanization nor in the script.
shimobaatar wrote:I like the script. I agree with Pirka that it somewhat resembles Armenian, which is one of the most aesthetically pleasing natlang scripts in my opinion.
Thanks! to be honest this version is what I could do with my font-making ability, the handwritten version is intended to be a lot more "calligraphic", more arabic in my opinion (as in, doing everything with a single stroke). THIS is an example (somewhat extreme example as a lot of characters tend to look the same, I doubt it I could decipher it I didn't know it was my name :D).
shimobaatar wrote:Would it be possible to show us a romanized version of this text?
Sure.

Annurinkat ki Attal.
Annurinkat ki Attal mo azulstakastar imottakatrast, nitakatifilist reson ret. Isijenit mo kutorononerlikir reson, o otennekkemor stakastask. Terte Annurinkat ojonestet ojonekunnik, ma ojonestesk, reson katifisa olitistir. Annurinkat okijot.

It is still provisional (not sure on some grammatical feature), so for the moment I'm not putting any glosses/translation

I hope that answer your questions. :)
Currently working on: :con: Maurs mọs
---
Usual disclaimer about English not being my native language bla bla bla.
Imralu
roman
roman

Post by Imralu »

I like it. I like the script and the map. Let's see some grammar or examples.
Jojo87 wrote:The syllable structure is C(j)V{r,l,n}C, (not sure on this one) and every consonant can be geminated.
Does every syllable need to end in a consonant? If not, that final C should be in parenthesis. Same for the initial C if syllables can begin with a vowel, although it's pretty common for languages not to allow vowel-initial syllables.
Jojo87 wrote:In the romanization letters have their corrispondent IPA values, except for c and tc
And z.
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = specific / non-specific, AG = agent, E = entity (person, animal, thing)
________
MY MUSIC | MY PLANTS
zyma
korean
korean

Post by zyma »

Jojo87 wrote:Thanks! to be honest this version is what I could do with my font-making ability, the handwritten version is intended to be a lot more "calligraphic", more arabic in my opinion (as in, doing everything with a single stroke). THIS is an example (somewhat extreme example as a lot of characters tend to look the same, I doubt it I could decipher it I didn't know it was my name :D).
I like it!
Jojo87 wrote:I'll try to rephrase it better: if the sound /ts/ appear in a morpheme than it is written z, if it appears as a combination of /t/ and /s( from two different morphemes, then it is written as ts.
so for example, zarnac is written with z because is a single morpheme, while tatsa (which comes from tat + sa) is written with ts.
OK, this definitely clarifies things up. This is definitely plausible.
Jojo87 wrote: Annurinkat ki Attal.
Annurinkat ki Attal mo azulstakastar imottakatrast, nitakatifilist reson ret. Isijenit mo kutorononerlikir reson, o otennekkemor stakastask. Terte Annurinkat ojonestet ojonekunnik, ma ojonestesk, reson katifisa olitistir. Annurinkat okijot.

It is still provisional (not sure on some grammatical feature), so for the moment I'm not putting any glosses/translation

I hope that answer your questions. :)
You certainly have answered my questions, and I'm looking forward to seeing more of this language. No rush, though.
The user formerly known as "shimobaatar".
(she)
kanejam
greek
greek

Post by kanejam »

Jojo87 wrote:
shimobaatar wrote:I like the script. I agree with Pirka that it somewhat resembles Armenian, which is one of the most aesthetically pleasing natlang scripts in my opinion.
Thanks! to be honest this version is what I could do with my font-making ability, the handwritten version is intended to be a lot more "calligraphic", more arabic in my opinion (as in, doing everything with a single stroke). THIS is an example (somewhat extreme example as a lot of characters tend to look the same, I doubt it I could decipher it I didn't know it was my name :D).
Oo pretty scripty!!!