The "Show your conworld" thread

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
Segano
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

The "Show your conworld" thread

Post by Segano »

Hey guys,

I think one of the things that give a conworld more depth is adding pictures. Obviously it's a little hard to take real pictures, but that's what's Google Images is for. I'm really interested in seeing pictures of everyone's conworld(s), so if you have any images you'd like to share, please do!

My concountry, Devoine:
Spoiler:
Umeira
Old Umeira park, next to the ruins of one of the oldest parts of the city.

Madagascar Park, close to several universities, was once declared the cleanest park in the entire country.

Presidential garden in southern Umeira.

Devoinian National Museum in the eastern part of the city.

Landscapes
Eastern Devoine

Western Devoine

All of the images above are from Wikipedia, I didn't create any of them myself (obviously [:P] )
I'm sorry if this isn't allowed. Please let me know if it's not.
Fluent: :nld: :usa: Average: :esp: Basic: :rus: :srp: Terrible: :bra: :swe:
Micamo
MVP
MVP

Re: The "Show your conworld" thread

Post by Micamo »

I don't get it: Are you taking pictures of things here on earth, then saying "Here's what I imagine certain parts of my conworld look like?" If so it might be better to have a thread which asks "What are your inspiration sources?" or something like that.
My pronouns are <xe> [ziː] / <xym> [zɪm] / <xys> [zɪz]

My shitty twitter
Segano
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by Segano »

Micamo wrote:I don't get it: Are you taking pictures of things here on earth, then saying "Here's what I imagine certain parts of my conworld look like?" If so it might be better to have a thread which asks "What are your inspiration sources?" or something like that.
Sort of, but not exactly. For example, take a look at a Wikipedia page about a random country. You'll notice that there are pictures of certain places/sights/etc. Now image you have a page about your conworld. If you're trying to make it look like your conworld actually exists, you probably wouldn't say "The capital looks a lot like this", but "This is the capital" instead. So it's basically pretending your world exists by taking pictures from the internet and making it look like they represent a location/sight/etc in your conworld (rather than saying it just looks like it). If I'm not making much sense here, please let me know.
Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo »

Problem: What if our conworlds don't resemble Earth all that well?

Tazar is a city of obsidian built around a huge, dark pit in the middle of an desert of carbon dust. Two suns dance along glowing white rings across a pink sky. Giant beetles carry loads on their backs as they eat patches of glowing red fungus that grows in the nutrient-rich dust. The dust gets *everywhere*, brought into the city by weekly storms of black clouds. The people where little clothing save for their breathing masks; Those who go without their masks get Black Breath, coughing up black mucus until their lungs give out and they die. Charred bones carrying polished weapons patrol the streets, and all bow and scrape at the coming of a Black Bride, the rulers of the city who became the wives of the Chained God, imprisoned at the bottom of the great pit.

My shitty twitter
thaen
roman
roman

Post by thaen »

Micamo wrote:Problem: What if our conworlds don't resemble Earth all that well?

Tazar is a city of obsidian built around a huge, dark pit in the middle of an desert of carbon dust. Two suns dance along glowing white rings across a pink sky. Giant beetles carry loads on their backs as they eat patches of glowing red fungus that grows in the nutrient-rich dust. The dust gets *everywhere*, brought into the city by weekly storms of black clouds. The people where little clothing save for their breathing masks; Those who go without their masks get Black Breath, coughing up black mucus until their lungs give out and they die. Charred bones carrying polished weapons patrol the streets, and all bow and scrape at the coming of a Black Bride, the rulers of the city who became the wives of the Chained God, imprisoned at the bottom of the great pit.
...tell me more... :mrgreen:
:con: Nillahimma
:con: Øð!
:con: Coneylang

I am the Great Rabbit. Fear me, O Crabs!
Spoiler:
ı θ ð ʃ ɲ ŋ ʔ ɛ ə ø ʑ ɕ ʷ ʲ ⁿ
gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Post by gestaltist »

thaen wrote:
Micamo wrote:Problem: What if our conworlds don't resemble Earth all that well?

...tell me more... :mrgreen:
Yeah, that sounds amazing. Do you have something else about this world? You seem to mostly post your conlang stuff.
Lao Kou
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Lao Kou »

Micamo wrote:Tazar is a city of obsidian built around a huge, dark pit in the middle of an desert of carbon dust. Two suns dance along glowing white rings across a pink sky. Giant beetles carry loads on their backs as they eat patches of glowing red fungus that grows in the nutrient-rich dust. The dust gets *everywhere*, brought into the city by weekly storms of black clouds. The people where [sic] little clothing save for their breathing masks; Those who go without their masks get Black Breath, coughing up black mucus until their lungs give out and they die. Charred bones carrying polished weapons patrol the streets, and all bow and scrape at the coming of a Black Bride, the rulers of the city who became the wives of the Chained God, imprisoned at the bottom of the great pit.
Vacations there must have to be booked years in advance.
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
Micamo
MVP
MVP

Post by Micamo »

gestaltist wrote:Yeah, that sounds amazing. Do you have something else about this world? You seem to mostly post absolutely nothing at all, Edie
Yeah I know I know, I've been trying to get better at actually posting stuff.
Lao Kou wrote:Vacations there must have to be booked years in advance.
Funny thing is, they are. Massive pipeworks pump thousands of gallons of water up from the pit believed to be a gift from the Chained God below. Pilgrims come from half a world away to deliver their sacrifices, and Tazar's universities are the region's center of art, culture, and learning. So great is this influence that second-language speakers of Tazaric outnumber native speakers by nearly 10 to 1.

And although the Council of Brides can be quite totalitarian, the theocracy is wise enough not to do anything to stifle the city's popularity with the outside world. Aside from disrespect of a Bride or public defamation of the Chained God being a serious crime, the city is quite libertine. (At least for visitors; The vices the city offers are forbidden to natural-born residents, not that they don't enjoy them anyway.) Imagine it as a kind of combination of Mordor, Mecca, and Vegas.

My shitty twitter
Lao Kou
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Lao Kou »

Micamo wrote:The vices the city offers are forbidden to natural-born residents, not that they don't enjoy them anyway. Imagine it as a kind of combination of Mordor, Mecca, and Vegas.
Some Black Breath with your mojito? [}:D]
道可道,非常道
名可名,非常名
Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius »

Segano wrote:So it's basically pretending your world exists by taking pictures from the internet...
So I've been to Fiumina's city center and three years later to a city just 54 km away from the capital itself!
Now where are my pictures of Venice and Florence...

Fiúmina, city center, 3009 AUC - class trip (shortly before we got back to the Slavic plains - two days before the end of the trip). Grizognja, outside the city, 3012 AUC - another class trip (again two days before the end of the class trip).
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com
Serena
sinic
sinic

Post by Serena »

Egerius wrote:Grizognja, outside the city, 3012 AUC - another class trip (again two days before the end of the class trip).
I went to Grizognja a few days ago :D
Spoiler:
Segano
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by Segano »

Problem: What if our conworlds don't resemble Earth all that well?
Nothing stops you from editing existing images or creating some of your own. I'm aware many (if not most) conworlds here aren't related to Earth, but that should cause any problems. Just post whatever you're comfortable with, whether it's an image from Google, an edited photo from your co-worker, a video, or something you created in paint.
So I've been to Fiumina's city center and three years later to a city just 54 km away from the capital itself!
Now where are my pictures of Venice and Florence...
I'm not sure if you're being serious or just making fun of me, but either way: nice pictures. I assume the names are Buonavellesan?
Spoiler:
Umeira skyline
Egerius
mayan
mayan

Post by Egerius »

Segano wrote:I'm not sure if you're being serious or just making fun of me, but either way: nice pictures. I assume the names are Buonavellesan?
It's 30/30, 10% childish behaviour and 30% imagination (since these are my pictures). The names are from two Rodentèrra-Romance languages: Fiúmina is Argemontese and Grizognja is Buonavallese (the former is from Latin FLV́MEN, the latter one is actually disguised Polish: gryzoń /ˈgɾɨzɔɲ/ means 'rodent', gryzońa is the genitive singular).
Languages of Rodentèrra: Buonavallese, Saselvan Argemontese; Wīlandisċ Taulkeisch; More on the road.
Conlang embryo of TELES: Proto-Avesto-Umbric ~> Proto-Umbric
New blog: http://argentiusbonavalensis.tumblr.com
gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Post by gestaltist »

Micamo wrote:
gestaltist wrote:Yeah, that sounds amazing. Do you have something else about this world? You seem to mostly post absolutely nothing at all, Edie
Yeah I know I know, I've been trying to get better at actually posting stuff.
Lao Kou wrote:Vacations there must have to be booked years in advance.
Funny thing is, they are. Massive pipeworks pump thousands of gallons of water up from the pit believed to be a gift from the Chained God below. Pilgrims come from half a world away to deliver their sacrifices, and Tazar's universities are the region's center of art, culture, and learning. So great is this influence that second-language speakers of Tazaric outnumber native speakers by nearly 10 to 1.

And although the Council of Brides can be quite totalitarian, the theocracy is wise enough not to do anything to stifle the city's popularity with the outside world. Aside from disrespect of a Bride or public defamation of the Chained God being a serious crime, the city is quite libertine. (At least for visitors; The vices the city offers are forbidden to natural-born residents, not that they don't enjoy them anyway.) Imagine it as a kind of combination of Mordor, Mecca, and Vegas.
Are the people there humans (or human-like) or some weird aliens?