Lexicon milestones and discussion of lexicon growth

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
prettydragoon
sinic
sinic

Re: Lexicon milestones and discussion of lexicon growth

Post by prettydragoon »

eldin raigmore wrote: 28 Aug 2023 18:11 Are Udj and prettydragoon trying to start an alliteration contest ?
Really, I resemble that remark. I was but rallying my resources to repress my reflex to resort to R-rated puns, in reference to you replenishing the word-hoard of Kankonian with R-words to reach this rare record.
♀♥♀
What is this, how you say, Rireinutire?
Arayaz
roman
roman

Post by Arayaz »

prettydragoon wrote: 28 Aug 2023 20:05
eldin raigmore wrote: 28 Aug 2023 18:11 Are Udj and prettydragoon trying to start an alliteration contest ?
Really, I resemble that remark. I was but rallying my resources to repress my reflex to resort to R-rated puns, in reference to you replenishing the word-hoard of Kankonian with R-words to reach this rare record.
"Resemble?" Persnickety people will presume to point out the potential problem in your previous post: perhaps "resent" is the phrase you meant.
Proud member of the myopic-trans-southerner-Viossa-girl-with-two-cats-who-joined-on-September-6th-2022 gang

:con: 2c2ef0 Ruykkarraber family Areyaxi family Arskiilz Kahóra Makihip-ŋAħual family Abisj
my garbage

she/her
prettydragoon
sinic
sinic

Post by prettydragoon »

Üdj wrote: 28 Aug 2023 23:11
prettydragoon wrote: 28 Aug 2023 20:05 Really, I resemble that remark. (...)
"Resemble?" Persnickety people will presume to point out the potential problem in your previous post: perhaps "resent" is the phrase you meant.
"I mean what I say and I say what I mean." (Some restrictions apply.)

So, alas! it is required of me to refute your, in itself rather reasonable, remark. If I really meant "resent", rest assured I wouldn't have been reticent in revealing my resistance. Rather, the referred-to phrase is a rough-and-ready pune, or play on words.
♀♥♀
Arayaz
roman
roman

Post by Arayaz »

prettydragoon wrote: 29 Aug 2023 21:50
Üdj wrote: 28 Aug 2023 23:11
prettydragoon wrote: 28 Aug 2023 20:05 Really, I resemble that remark. (...)
"I mean what I say and I say what I mean." (Some restrictions apply.)

So, alas! it is required of me to refute your, in itself rather reasonable, remark. If I really meant "resent", rest assured I wouldn't have been reticent in revealing my resistance. Rather, the referred-to phrase is a rough-and-ready pune, or play on words.
Sorry! So, it seems your certain self is somehow similar to sir Eldin's (sarcasmless) statement? Sadly, something like this stumps me superbly.
Proud member of the myopic-trans-southerner-Viossa-girl-with-two-cats-who-joined-on-September-6th-2022 gang

:con: 2c2ef0 Ruykkarraber family Areyaxi family Arskiilz Kahóra Makihip-ŋAħual family Abisj
my garbage

she/her
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Relevant:

According to Masako, "I resemble that remark" is "something old women say".

Üdj: In case you haven't heard the expression before, "I resemble that remark" is a stock pun, a play on "I resent that remark" that means something that your interlocutor said hit a little too close to home for you.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 90,000 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
Arayaz
roman
roman

Post by Arayaz »

Apologies! An, um, unknown utterance for me. Again, unfailingly does Khemehekis unravel unfamiliar epigrams.

my garbage

she/her
prettydragoon
sinic
sinic

Post by prettydragoon »

Üdj wrote: 29 Aug 2023 23:52 Sorry! So, it seems your certain self is somehow similar to sir Eldin's (sarcasmless) statement? Sadly, something like this stumps me superbly.
Think nothing on't! Truth be told, from time to time my thoughts turn to trawling the thesaurus for trite truisms and other trivial turns of phrase.

Whew! Maybe I won't keep showing my R's all the time after all...
Khemehekis wrote: 30 Aug 2023 01:49 Relevant:

According to Masako, "I resemble that remark" is "something old women say".
I'm not old! I'll have you know I celebrated my 24th birthday this summer! (Of course, I celebrate my 24th birthday every summer, but that's beside the point, so I move for this parenthetical comment to be struck from the record.)
♀♥♀
Arayaz
roman
roman

Post by Arayaz »

prettydragoon wrote: 30 Aug 2023 20:15
Üdj wrote: 29 Aug 2023 23:52 Sorry! So, it seems your certain self is somehow similar to sir Eldin's (sarcasmless) statement? Sadly, something like this stumps me superbly.
Think nothing on't! Truth be told, from time to time my thoughts turn to trawling the thesaurus for trite truisms and other trivial turns of phrase.
Verily, you have a very vast and varied vocabulary. Very many of your volley of vivid phrases vigorously vaulted over my head.

I give you the vital victory in the contest of alliteration, for your valor, verve, and vivacious verbiage.

my garbage

she/her
prettydragoon
sinic
sinic

Post by prettydragoon »

Üdj wrote: 31 Aug 2023 20:11 Verily, you have a very vast and varied vocabulary. Very many of your volley of vivid phrases vigorously vaulted over my head.

I give you the vital victory in the contest of alliteration, for your valor, verve, and vivacious verbiage.
Such success would have fallen sadly short sans your stimulating sorties spurring me on.
♀♥♀
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Today I reached the two thousandth word in Quispe. Word #2,000 was gaiña aplau, meaning "platform shoe". Gaiña is an adjective meaning tall, and an aplau is a shoe.

(Quispe celebrated its ninth birthday yesterday.)
♂♥♂♀

Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Got caught up with the current year in my number of Quispe words today. Word #2,023 was hyokus, meaning "helmet".
♂♥♂♀

Arayaz
roman
roman

Post by Arayaz »

Ruykkarraber now has a hundred words! (Including auxiliaries, not including pronouns or proper names. And the words of nationality and language names aren't included. Perhaps I should add those to its lexicon.)

The hundredth word was nesak, a case IV postposition meaning "across" or "over."
The ninety-ninth word was more interesting: nedskusaydi, meaning the edge of a bridge.

my garbage

she/her
conlang-creature
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by conlang-creature »

I've reached 162 entries in my language Verlonqa! Minus the numbers it's apparently only 136. [:'(]
Still probably a record for any language I've made.

In all fairness this might be inaccurate. A few entries are phrases, but this is also a proto-lang(?), so those phrases should become words at some point.

The most recent entry, for the record, is:
ha
[hä*]
meaning: so, because of this (very useful)

*The vowels are the same as in Spanish. This seemed closest, but I'm not sure if it's right.

Also, hello!
A word a day keeps the scrapping away!
Current Record: 178
:usa: [:3]
Arayaz
roman
roman

Post by Arayaz »

conlang-creature wrote: 15 Dec 2023 15:50 I've reached 162 entries in my language Verlonqa! Minus the numbers it's apparently only 136. [:'(]
Still probably a record for any language I've made.

In all fairness this might be inaccurate. A few entries are phrases, but this is also a proto-lang(?), so those phrases should become words at some point.

The most recent entry, for the record, is:
ha
[hä*]
meaning: so, because of this (very useful)

*The vowels are the same as in Spanish. This seemed closest, but I'm not sure if it's right.

Also, hello!
Welcome to the board! And, coincidentally, Ruykkarraber has exactly the same number of entries, minus proper nouns. The most recent was sunnatedusseni "honey water."

my garbage

she/her
Arayaz
roman
roman

Post by Arayaz »

Here we are at 200 Ruykkarraber words!!!

Most recent was denat "only one (person)."

my garbage

she/her
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Arayaz wrote: 31 Dec 2023 08:12 Here we are at 200 Ruykkarraber words!!!

Most recent was denat "only one (person)."
Hurrah! Soon you'll be setting a new record for lexicon size!
♂♥♂♀

lurker
greek
greek

Post by lurker »

Commonthroat now has over 350 morphemes, and even more lexemes. I need to start making productive affixes.
⠎⠀⠜⠎⠾⠌⠺⠀⠍⠭⠌⠉⠀⠬⠽⠬⠽⠌⠚
Arayaz
roman
roman

Post by Arayaz »

I have been laboring for days on converting someone else's lexicon to my format, applying semantic drift and sound changes, and correcting typos. Currently, I am at the 94% mark, with 605 words converted. This doesn't count as a new record for lexicon size in my conlangs, since I didn't make all of these words, Lee did, and then Pell modified them, and then Vedertesu & GIM modified them more. So I only inherited it. Nonetheless, it is the biggest lexicon of any of my conlangs.

I made this post partially so that I could rant about one thing: eight ─ yes, eight ─ words have merged as wəth. Why? I don't know. Will the speakers put up with "the grey moon,"* "sadness," "to be unhappy," "claw," "yesterday," "to be dark," "water," and "darkness" all being identical? Probably not. We'll see.

(No, not all stative verbs are polysemous with nouns: others than these, yes, but not most.)

*There are two moons in Tyuns.

my garbage

she/her
DV82LECM
sinic
sinic

Post by DV82LECM »

For the last two-ish weeks, the flood gates have opened. I am posting almost every day.
𖥑𖧨𖣫𖦺𖣦𖢋𖤼𖥃𖣔𖣋𖢅𖡹𖡨𖡶𖡦𖡧𖡚𖠨
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Arayaz wrote: 22 Jan 2024 22:22 I have been laboring for days on converting someone else's lexicon to my format, applying semantic drift and sound changes, and correcting typos. Currently, I am at the 94% mark, with 605 words converted. This doesn't count as a new record for lexicon size in my conlangs, since I didn't make all of these words, Lee did, and then Pell modified them, and then Vedertesu & GIM modified them more. So I only inherited it. Nonetheless, it is the biggest lexicon of any of my conlangs.
Congrats on having more than 600 words in one of your conlangs! [:D]
I made this post partially so that I could rant about one thing: eight ─ yes, eight ─ words have merged as wəth. Why? I don't know. Will the speakers put up with "the grey moon,"* "sadness," "to be unhappy," "claw," "yesterday," "to be dark," "water," and "darkness" all being identical? Probably not. We'll see.
The water under the grey moon was dark and made me sad yesterday . . .
♂♥♂♀