Conlang word easter eggs?

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Hana
rupestrian
rupestrian

Re: Conlang word easter eggs?

Post by Hana »

I was looking through my Awkwords output one day when I found the word òxó and I had to make it the word for angry in Jalo (d͡zaɬo).
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Hana wrote: 01 Jul 2023 07:32 I was looking through my Awkwords output one day when I found the word òxó and I had to make it the word for angry in Jalo (d͡zaɬo).
A visual Easter egg . . . cool! Klingon has one like that . . . 'o' is the word for "aft".
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 90,000 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
WeepingElf
greek
greek

Post by WeepingElf »

My Easter eggs are of the etymological kind. For some words in western European languages with unknown or controversial etymologies, I invent Hesperic etymologies. For instance, the Germanic word for 'monkey, ape' "is" from Old Albic pána, which is a loan from another Hesperic language where it originates in a word descending from PIE *peh2-no- that referred to a goblin-like creature, but originally meant something like 'guardian spirit of nature', as its Old Albic cognate phána still does. Another example is Old Albic *segil 'wing, sail', the "source" of English sail; and recently, I "discovered" that Celtic *îsarnon 'iron' is from a Hesperic language where PIE *h2ster- 'star' has become *îsar- (if you are puzzled by the connection between 'star' and 'iron', this is because iron was first known to people from meteorites). This is great fun!
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
Man in Space
roman
roman

Post by Man in Space »

WeepingElf wrote: 21 Jul 2023 18:00 My Easter eggs are of the etymological kind. For some words in western European languages with unknown or controversial etymologies, I invent Hesperic etymologies. For instance, the Germanic word for 'monkey, ape' "is" from Old Albic pána, which is a loan from another Hesperic language where it originates in a word descending from PIE *peh2-no- that referred to a goblin-like creature, but originally meant something like 'guardian spirit of nature', as its Old Albic cognate phána still does. Another example is Old Albic *segil 'wing, sail', the "source" of English sail; and recently, I "discovered" that Celtic *îsarnon 'iron' is from a Hesperic language where PIE *h2ster- 'star' has become *îsar- (if you are puzzled by the connection between 'star' and 'iron', this is because iron was first known to people from meteorites). This is great fun!
I enjoyed reading this! I love the detail you go into with Albic and your willingness to revise even if the change is great.
Twin Aster megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

CC = Common Caber
CK = Classical Khaya
CT = Classical Ĝare n Tim Ar
Kg = Kgáweq'
PB = Proto-Beheic
PO = Proto-O
PTa = Proto-Taltic
STK = Sisỏk Tlar Kyanà
Tm = Təmattwəspwaypksma
WeepingElf
greek
greek

Post by WeepingElf »

Man in Space wrote: 22 Jul 2023 03:02
WeepingElf wrote: 21 Jul 2023 18:00 My Easter eggs are of the etymological kind. For some words in western European languages with unknown or controversial etymologies, I invent Hesperic etymologies. For instance, the Germanic word for 'monkey, ape' "is" from Old Albic pána, which is a loan from another Hesperic language where it originates in a word descending from PIE *peh2-no- that referred to a goblin-like creature, but originally meant something like 'guardian spirit of nature', as its Old Albic cognate phána still does. Another example is Old Albic *segil 'wing, sail', the "source" of English sail; and recently, I "discovered" that Celtic *îsarnon 'iron' is from a Hesperic language where PIE *h2ster- 'star' has become *îsar- (if you are puzzled by the connection between 'star' and 'iron', this is because iron was first known to people from meteorites). This is great fun!
I enjoyed reading this! I love the detail you go into with Albic and your willingness to revise even if the change is great.
Thank you! It is great fun to me - a kind of fun you just can't get from a vocab generator ;) Indeed, one of my motivations for conlanging (besides exploring questions about the human condition and the meaning of life by means of building my "Elvish" conculture) is my curiosity about prehistoric languages - and the more speculative ideas about them which I could not defend as "real" hypotheses go into my conlangs.
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
Arayaz
roman
roman

Post by Arayaz »

In Ruykkarraber, anadeu means "strange" or "weird." It's an easter egg for ANADEW.
I was lucky with this, since while anadeu is not a valid root, adeu is ─ and I happened to already have a prefix an-. (It's a generic negator; adeu means "normal" or "expected.")
Proud member of the myopic-trans-southerner-Viossa-girl-with-two-cats-who-joined-on-September-6th-2022 gang

:con: 2c2ef0 Ruykkarraber family Areyaxi family Arskiilz Makihip-ŋAħual family Kahóra Abisj
my garbage

she/her
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Arayaz wrote: 21 Feb 2024 21:49 In Ruykkarraber, anadeu means "strange" or "weird." It's an easter egg for ANADEW.
I was lucky with this, since while anadeu is not a valid root, adeu is ─ and I happened to already have a prefix an-. (It's a generic negator; adeu means "normal" or "expected.")
It's so neat that that all worked out! [:D]
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 90,000 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
Man in Space
roman
roman

Post by Man in Space »

Arayaz wrote: 21 Feb 2024 21:49 In Ruykkarraber, anadeu means "strange" or "weird." It's an easter egg for ANADEW.
Fantastic!
Twin Aster megathread

AVDIO · VIDEO · DISCO

CC = Common Caber
CK = Classical Khaya
CT = Classical Ĝare n Tim Ar
Kg = Kgáweq'
PB = Proto-Beheic
PO = Proto-O
PTa = Proto-Taltic
STK = Sisỏk Tlar Kyanà
Tm = Təmattwəspwaypksma
Shemtov
runic
runic

Post by Shemtov »

In Zeigouŋdeizese, since the Waanic family is inspired by Mayan and Austronesian, I often take Proto-Mayan and PMP, and Old Malay/Old Javanese words and adapt them to PWaanic phonology and phonotactics and evolve them through the sound changes from PWaanic to Zeigouŋdeizese. Given that the religion is based on the Dharmic religions, I often take Sanskrit terms and attach PIndo-Aryan endings (to make it less obvious) and do the same. For example, Paařok "Trading ship" was formed by taking PMP *paʀaqu, and making it PWaanic *paʀauq, then evolving it to Paařok. Or Pizipi "Tomato", which comes from PCentral-Mayan *piʃp and changing it to PWaanic *piʃɨpɨ and evolving it.
Many children make up, or begin to make up, imaginary languages. I have been at it since I could write.
-JRR Tolkien
_Just_A_Sketch
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by _Just_A_Sketch »

In Hɛlcɛso, the word for "idiot" is ɛlon, named after everyone's favorite billionaire techbro, Elon Musk (/s). I made this word around the time I deleted Twitter from my phone and moved permanently to Tumblr.
The other proud member of myopic-trans-southerner-Viossa-girl-with-two-cats-who-joined-on-September-6th-2022 gang

:con: Awloya, Olwöa, 'ai'u, Hɛlcɛso (on hiatus), Tsjàta (on hiatus)

she/they/fluff
Arayaz
roman
roman

Post by Arayaz »

_Just_A_Sketch wrote: 24 Feb 2024 02:09 In Hɛlcɛso, the word for "idiot" is ɛlon, named after everyone's favorite billionaire techbro, Elon Musk (/s). I made this word around the time I deleted Twitter from my phone and moved permanently to Tumblr.
I would do things like this, except there are too many people I want to criticize.
Proud member of the myopic-trans-southerner-Viossa-girl-with-two-cats-who-joined-on-September-6th-2022 gang

:con: 2c2ef0 Ruykkarraber family Areyaxi family Arskiilz Makihip-ŋAħual family Kahóra Abisj
my garbage

she/her
_Just_A_Sketch
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by _Just_A_Sketch »

Arayaz wrote: 24 Feb 2024 03:00
_Just_A_Sketch wrote: 24 Feb 2024 02:09 In Hɛlcɛso, the word for "idiot" is ɛlon, named after everyone's favorite billionaire techbro, Elon Musk (/s). I made this word around the time I deleted Twitter from my phone and moved permanently to Tumblr.
I would do things like this, except there are too many people I want to criticize.
Understandable [xD]
The other proud member of myopic-trans-southerner-Viossa-girl-with-two-cats-who-joined-on-September-6th-2022 gang

:con: Awloya, Olwöa, 'ai'u, Hɛlcɛso (on hiatus), Tsjàta (on hiatus)

she/they/fluff
LinguoFranco
greek
greek

Post by LinguoFranco »

I have one word I keep tossing into my various projects: /kaine/, which is the color white. It's a reference to a character named Kaine from the Nier games, who has white hair and a white dress.
lurker
greek
greek

Post by lurker »

One of my sketch langs from back in college had a word for fish /sikiten/ that was a play on PETA's attempt to get people to stop eating fish by calling them "sea kittens".
⠎⠀⠜⠎⠾⠌⠺⠀⠍⠭⠌⠉⠀⠬⠽⠬⠽⠌⠚