A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Visions1
greek
greek

Re: Quick Diachronics Challenge

Post by Visions1 »

Spoiler:
aɬ.tə˥l
I would have liked to have written the logic for this one out, but I couldn't be bothered to explain the spidey senses.
Last edited by Visions1 on 29 Mar 2024 07:54, edited 4 times in total.
Arayaz
roman
roman

Post by Arayaz »

Visions1 wrote: 29 Mar 2024 05:48
Spoiler:
aɬ.tə˥l
I would have liked to have written the logic for this one out, but I couldn't be bothered to explain the spidey senses.
Visions:
Spoiler:
You are very close, with three of your segments being correct and one rather close. In fact, if one removes the /l/ at the end, this is an intermediate form that occurs.
thethief3 wrote: 29 Mar 2024 07:23 aɬ.ta:
thethief:
Spoiler:
Close ─ two out of four segments are correct, and one is rather close. You also have the overall shape of the word (VCCV) essentially correct, and while one of those segments is indeed lengthened, it is not the final vowel.
Proud member of the myopic-trans-southerner-Viossa-girl-with-two-cats-who-joined-on-September-6th-2022 gang

:con: 2c2ef0 Ruykkarraber family Areyaxi family Arskiilz Makihip-ŋAħual family Kahóra Abisj
my garbage

she/her
Visions1
greek
greek

Post by Visions1 »

Spoiler:
[al.tʉː]
[hæ.t͡ɬæ˥]
[ad͡ɮ]
[ataɬ]
[es.ttaː]
[has.stɐ˥]

"...ancestrally was basically a dialect continuum..." - Arayaz, 2024
I was having a very strong suspicion. Now it's confirmed. This will make 1-line charts harder.

[al.tʉː] [hæ.t͡ɬæ˥] [ad͡ɮ] [ataɬ] [es.ttaː] [has.stɐ˥]

So firstly, /h/ seems late. We can just chop it off.
[al.tʉː] [*æ.t͡ɬæ˥] [ad͡ɮ] [ataɬ] [es.ttaː] [*as.stɐ˥]
[*æ.t͡ɬæ˥] and [*as.stɐ˥] live next to eachother.

Let's pay attention to some salient groupings:
Vowel1: [al.tʉː] [*as.stɐ˥] [*æ.t͡ɬæ˥] [ad͡ɮ] [ataɬ] [es.ttaː]
Clearly used to be an /a/. But how do we group the children?
The only ones without /a/ are [*æ.t͡ɬæ˥] and [es.ttaː]. We can assume the are next to eachother.

Consonant1: [al.tʉː] [es.ttaː] [*as.stɐ˥] [*æ.t͡ɬæ˥] [ad͡ɮ] [ataɬ]
Considering [*æ.t͡ɬæ˥] and [*as.stɐ˥] have an /h/ and tone, it makes sense that [es.ttaː] and [*as.stɐ˥] are the only two with an /s/. So we have a rough map forming.
[es.ttaː - *as.stɐ˥ - *æ.t͡ɬæ˥] [al.tʉː] [ad͡ɮ] [ataɬ]
[al.tʉː] has /l/, and all the others have /t/ or a dental affricate involving a kind of /ɬ/. This will be addressed later, but that's why I think /ɬ/ was C1.
[ataɬ] has /t/, [ad͡ɮ] and [*æ.t͡ɬæ˥] a /tɬ/ affricate. Another point on the map.

Consonant2: If there is one at all, it's a plosive and dental. Clearly universal (as C1 or C2). Question is what exactly.

Vowel2: The fun stuff. It can't be a straight /a/; but there's a tendency to it. V2 may have tone, or length, but not both.
[ad͡ɮ] and [ataɬ] are weird. One has only one syllable. The other has a final consonant, and no obvious C2.
[*as.stɐ˥] and [al.tʉː] share a weird roundish vowel. Hmmm.
[*as.stɐ˥] and [ad͡ɮ] are reduced by V2. Hmmmm.

Let's wipe some grime away. Get rid of the /e/s in [es.ttaː - *as.stɐ˥ - *æ.t͡ɬæ˥].
[as.ttaː - *as.stɐ˥ - *a.t͡ɬa˥]. Obviously, the first two were [as.ttaː - *as.sta˥]. But note the above on [al.tʉː]. Also note the gemination.

Let's toss in some facts:
Must be VCCV overall, either V1 C1 or C2 is long, last vowel is not /a/. Possibly no final /l/.

Going of my prev. guess, the answer looks almost like aɬ.tə˥l. This makes sense.
I feel one question remains: what is long?
atɬ.tə˥l
Arayaz
roman
roman

Post by Arayaz »

I have noticed several errors, but they don't make it any harder to reconstruct; all that changes is that some of the forms aren't accurate to the actual languages. But it's fine.

Visions:
Spoiler:
Visions1 wrote: 31 Mar 2024 11:10 So firstly, /h/ seems late. We can just chop it off.
Yep yep!
Visions1 wrote: 31 Mar 2024 11:10 Let's pay attention to some salient groupings:
The only ones without /a/ are [*æ.t͡ɬæ˥] and [es.ttaː]. We can assume the are next to eachother.
*checks map* not quite next to each other, I'm afraid, but not far either.
Visions1 wrote: 31 Mar 2024 11:10 Consonant1: [al.tʉː] [es.ttaː] [*as.stɐ˥] [*æ.t͡ɬæ˥] [ad͡ɮ] [ataɬ]
Considering [*æ.t͡ɬæ˥] and [*as.stɐ˥] have an /h/ and tone, it makes sense that [es.ttaː] and [*as.stɐ˥] are the only two with an /s/. So we have a rough map forming.
The map is correct!
Visions1 wrote: 31 Mar 2024 11:10 [al.tʉː] has /l/, and all the others have /t/ or a dental affricate involving a kind of /ɬ/. This will be addressed later, but that's why I think /ɬ/ was C1.
[ataɬ] has /t/, [ad͡ɮ] and [*æ.t͡ɬæ˥] a /tɬ/ affricate. Another point on the map.
/ɬ/ for C1 is close but not correct. However, all but two forms turned that consonant into /ɬ/ at some point. And the original C1 consonant is found in none of the words.
Visions1 wrote: 31 Mar 2024 11:10 Consonant2: If there is one at all, it's a plosive and dental. Clearly universal (as C1 or C2). Question is what exactly.
This is correct.
Visions1 wrote: 31 Mar 2024 11:10 Vowel2: The fun stuff. It can't be a straight /a/; but there's a tendency to it. V2 may have tone, or length, but not both.
Yeah, it's been shifty.
Visions1 wrote: 31 Mar 2024 11:10 [ad͡ɮ] and [ataɬ] are weird. One has only one syllable. The other has a final consonant, and no obvious C2.
Hint: epenthesis
Visions1 wrote: 31 Mar 2024 11:10 [*as.stɐ˥] and [al.tʉː] share a weird roundish vowel. Hmmm.
I wouldn't call [ɐ] "roundish"; could you explain that?
Visions1 wrote: 31 Mar 2024 11:10 [*as.stɐ˥] and [ad͡ɮ] are reduced by V2. Hmmmm.
As in, V2 is reduced/nonexistent?
Visions1 wrote: 31 Mar 2024 11:10 Let's wipe some grime away. Get rid of the /e/s in [es.ttaː - *as.stɐ˥ - *æ.t͡ɬæ˥].
[as.ttaː - *as.stɐ˥ - *a.t͡ɬa˥].
Yeppp!
Visions1 wrote: 31 Mar 2024 11:10 Obviously, the first two were [as.ttaː - *as.sta˥]. But note the above on [al.tʉː]. Also note the gemination.
Wait, what about [al.tʉː] should I note here?

And *as.sta˥ is not a correct ancestral form. Neither, I believe, is *as.ttaː. You've been led astray in V2.
Visions1 wrote: 31 Mar 2024 11:10 Let's toss in some facts:
Must be VCCV overall, either V1 C1 or C2 is long, last vowel is not /a/. Possibly no final /l/.
Yeah.
Visions1 wrote: 31 Mar 2024 11:10 Going of my prev. guess, the answer looks almost like aɬ.tə˥l. This makes sense.

atɬ.tə˥l
3/5 segments correct. One of the incorrect ones is nonexistent, one of the incorrect segments is simply wrong.
Proud member of the myopic-trans-southerner-Viossa-girl-with-two-cats-who-joined-on-September-6th-2022 gang

:con: 2c2ef0 Ruykkarraber family Areyaxi family Arskiilz Makihip-ŋAħual family Kahóra Abisj
my garbage

she/her
Arayaz
roman
roman

Post by Arayaz »

thethief3 wrote: 01 Apr 2024 01:26 aɬ.t:ə
thethief:
Spoiler:
Overall word shape is correct, discounting segment length. One segment is perfect, two are the correct sound but not the correct secondary details, and one is close but not correct. There is no /tː/ in the protoform.

my garbage

she/her
Visions1
greek
greek

Post by Visions1 »

Spoiler:
aɬɬtə˥l
Visions1
greek
greek

Post by Visions1 »

Arayaz wrote: 31 Mar 2024 17:16 I have noticed several errors, but they don't make it any harder to reconstruct; all that changes is that some of the forms aren't accurate to the actual languages. But it's fine.

Visions:
Spoiler:
Visions1 wrote: 31 Mar 2024 11:10 So firstly, /h/ seems late. We can just chop it off.
Yep yep!
Visions1 wrote: 31 Mar 2024 11:10 Let's pay attention to some salient groupings:
*checks map* not quite next to each other, I'm afraid, but not far either.
Visions1 wrote: 31 Mar 2024 11:10 Consonant1: [al.tʉː] [es.ttaː] [*as.stɐ˥] [*æ.t͡ɬæ˥] [ad͡ɮ] [ataɬ]
The map is correct!
Visions1 wrote: 31 Mar 2024 11:10 [al.tʉː] has /l/, and all the others have /t/ or a dental affricate involving a kind of /ɬ/. This will be addressed later, but that's why I think /ɬ/ was C1.
/ɬ/ for C1 is close but not correct. However, all but two forms turned that consonant into /ɬ/ at some point. And the original C1 consonant is found in none of the words.
Visions1 wrote: 31 Mar 2024 11:10 Consonant2: If there is one at all, it's a plosive and dental. Clearly universal (as C1 or C2). Question is what exactly.
This is correct.
Visions1 wrote: 31 Mar 2024 11:10 Vowel2: The fun stuff. It can't be a straight /a/; but there's a tendency to it. V2 may have tone, or length, but not both.
Yeah, it's been shifty.
Visions1 wrote: 31 Mar 2024 11:10 [ad͡ɮ] and [ataɬ] are weird. One has only one syllable. The other has a final consonant, and no obvious C2.
Hint: epenthesis
Visions1 wrote: 31 Mar 2024 11:10 [*as.stɐ˥] and [al.tʉː] share a weird roundish vowel. Hmmm.
I wouldn't call [ɐ] "roundish"; could you explain that?
Visions1 wrote: 31 Mar 2024 11:10 [*as.stɐ˥] and [ad͡ɮ] are reduced by V2. Hmmmm.
As in, V2 is reduced/nonexistent?
Visions1 wrote: 31 Mar 2024 11:10 Let's wipe some grime away. Get rid of the /e/s in [es.ttaː - *as.stɐ˥ - *æ.t͡ɬæ˥].
[as.ttaː - *as.stɐ˥ - *a.t͡ɬa˥].
Yeppp!
Visions1 wrote: 31 Mar 2024 11:10 Obviously, the first two were [as.ttaː - *as.sta˥]. But note the above on [al.tʉː]. Also note the gemination.
Wait, what about [al.tʉː] should I note here?

And *as.sta˥ is not a correct ancestral form. Neither, I believe, is *as.ttaː. You've been led astray in V2.
Visions1 wrote: 31 Mar 2024 11:10 Let's toss in some facts:
Yeah.
Visions1 wrote: 31 Mar 2024 11:10 Going of my prev. guess, the answer looks almost like aɬ.tə˥l. This makes sense.

atɬ.tə˥l
3/5 segments correct. One of the incorrect ones is nonexistent, one of the incorrect segments is simply wrong.
Spoiler:
aɬɬtə˥l
Arayaz
roman
roman

Post by Arayaz »

Visions1 wrote: 07 Apr 2024 07:05
Spoiler:
aɬɬtə˥l
Visions:
Spoiler:
Very close. You have one segment that isn't there in the proto, and one of your segments is not quite the correct phoneme. Although, that second one has been something I've said for quite some time for quite a number of people, and I doubt it's that intuitive what it used to be. The /st/ in [es.ttaː] is a reflex of it.

my garbage

she/her
conlang-creature
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by conlang-creature »

I'm not great with sound changes, but this still seems like a fun game. My first thought is:
atte˥

After reading some suggestions/hints, perhaps something like adte˥l is more likely?
A word a day keeps the scrapping away!
Current Record: 178
:usa: [:3]
Arayaz
roman
roman

Post by Arayaz »

conlang-creature wrote: 12 Apr 2024 19:44 I'm not great with sound changes, but this still seems like a fun game. My first thought is:
atte˥

After reading some suggestions/hints, perhaps something like adte˥l is more likely?
conlang-creature:
Spoiler:
The former guess is closer, so all of the following is advice for it.

The final vowel is not correct. There is a /t/ in the protolanguage in the second-to-last position, but it is not geminated. There is one proto-segment missing.

my garbage

she/her
Arayaz
roman
roman

Post by Arayaz »

If nobody else wishes to submit a guess, the round would end now and Visions would win (although still not being perfect).

If anybody else wants to give a guess before the round ends, you don't have to submit it today, but I'd like confirmation that you plan to make one.

my garbage

she/her
conlang-creature
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

I have another guess, I just didn't want to submit two in a row.
Arayaz
roman
roman

Post by Arayaz »

conlang-creature wrote: 19 Apr 2024 18:12 I have another guess, I just didn't want to submit two in a row.
Hmm. I'm not fully clear on the rules of the game, but I think you can submit two in a row, especially now.

Also, please everyone, give me a little bit of your thought process as well! It helps me give better feedback.

my garbage

she/her
Visions1
greek
greek

Post by Visions1 »

If it's been a while, you can submit again. I think I did that.
Like a day or 12 hours or something.
Arayaz
roman
roman

Post by Arayaz »

Visions1 wrote: 19 Apr 2024 19:07 If it's been a while, you can submit again. I think I did that.
Like a day or 12 hours or something.
So seven days should be plenty ─ go ahead, conlang-creature!

my garbage

she/her
conlang-creature
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

axtɐ˥
I'm not sure if this satisfies your missing proto-segment advice though. I wasn't entirely sure what that meant
Edit: I missed the ɬ before, and it makes sense so...
axtɐ˥ɬ
Arayaz
roman
roman

Post by Arayaz »

conlang-creature wrote: 19 Apr 2024 23:23 axtɐ˥
I'm not sure if this satisfies your missing proto-segment advice though. I wasn't entirely sure what that meant
Edit: I missed the ɬ before, and it makes sense so...
axtɐ˥ɬ
conlang-creature:
Spoiler:
The final vowel is closer, although it's still not perfect. There is no *x in the protoform, although you are correct that that space is occupied by a voiceless fricative.
The protoform ends with a vowel.
As for the missing proto-segment advice, I was referring to the fricative, which wasn't there in your original guess.

my garbage

she/her
Arayaz
roman
roman

Post by Arayaz »

Okay, does anyone have another guess, or should I give Visions the victory here?

my garbage

she/her