eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Re: What did you accomplish today?

Post by eldin raigmore »

Lambuzhao wrote: 07 Nov 2023 20:34
floatremes
Spoiler:
In :tlh: grammar, there are verbal suffixes which can jump numerical position, adding to another suffix's meaning/intensity. These are called 'rovers'. This is only among the subset of verbal suffixes; this does not occur in the subset of :tlh: nominal suffixes, nor :tlh: verbal/nominal prefixes.

If you were to go 100% :grc: , you could call them something like 'pleremes' or 'ploioremes' from πλεῖν ᾽to sail, float'.

Or even 'moviremes' if you were to go :lat: + :grc: taking a cue from so many botanical, binomial, and dinosaurial nomenclatures.
Yet I like idea behind, and your kenning of, floatremes !
[:D]

I like floatremes too!
And I somehow missed it the first ten days of last month!
So I’m glad I read Lambuzhao’s response.
This was kiwikami’s idea, right?
lurker
greek
greek

Post by lurker »

Technically this was a few days ago, but I made a braille system for Commonthroat. It doesn't have a regular print writing system yet.
⠎⠀⠜⠎⠾⠌⠺⠀⠍⠭⠌⠉⠀⠬⠽⠬⠽⠌⠚
Ælfwine
roman
roman

Post by Ælfwine »

Ælfwine wrote: 02 Nov 2023 03:16 I rebooted my old gothic conlang and renamed it Mariupol Gothic.

The reason for the rename is a historical change. Instead of being Tatarized, the goths of the Tauric peninsula remained as Orthodox Christians. So when Catherine the Great invited the Crimean Greeks to settle newly conquered lands, a bunch of Crimean Goths also followed. It shares a similarity with Mariupol Greek, which is the city with the largest amount of Crimean Greek speakers.

The other reason, is that the endonym is not very appealing to me, and the term "Crimean Gothic" is obviously shared with the historical 16th century language, and the other term I used, "Modern Gothic," is in use by several other people already!

Not too much is going to change with this language, I'm experimenting with the effects of different sound changes on the declension system.
An update, some more Mariupol Gothic declensions and test words.
My Blog

A-posteriori, alternative history nerd
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Today I created Quispe words for the black-plant-bioswath species and higher taxa that didn't already have Quispe names.

I created names native to Quispe or other languages of Querre for classes that they have on Querre, like the wondexes and alkhai, or vegetables of Querre. The LIE words for wondexes, alkhai, black plant vegetables, etc. hadn't gotten Quispe words before because the LIE words (for which I was borrowing from Quispe and other languages like Ampwanitz and Ixender depending on taxon or plant use) came from languages other than Quispe!

As for the taxa within the black plant bioswath that they don't have on Querre, like the emblons and the nechiloks, I borrowed them straight from the same non-Quispe languages wherefrom LIE borrowed them, adapting them to Querre's phonology (although many of these words still have signs of foreignness from a Quispe perspective, such as djmostens (assimilated Quispe words would never begin with a djm-).

Quispe now has 2,445 words.
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 90,000 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
Ælfwine
roman
roman

Post by Ælfwine »

Ælfwine wrote: 11 Nov 2023 03:51
Ælfwine wrote: 02 Nov 2023 03:16 I rebooted my old gothic conlang and renamed it Mariupol Gothic.

The reason for the rename is a historical change. Instead of being Tatarized, the goths of the Tauric peninsula remained as Orthodox Christians. So when Catherine the Great invited the Crimean Greeks to settle newly conquered lands, a bunch of Crimean Goths also followed. It shares a similarity with Mariupol Greek, which is the city with the largest amount of Crimean Greek speakers.

The other reason, is that the endonym is not very appealing to me, and the term "Crimean Gothic" is obviously shared with the historical 16th century language, and the other term I used, "Modern Gothic," is in use by several other people already!

Not too much is going to change with this language, I'm experimenting with the effects of different sound changes on the declension system.
An update, some more Mariupol Gothic declensions and test words.
Going to (tentatively) bring back the genitive case in Mariupol Gothic. I thought it would be a cool idea if the conlang adopted the animacy system from southern Russian. For the most part words that merge the Nominative and Accusative cases are inanimate, while words that merge the accusative and genitive cases are animate.

ex. vulfs, "wolf" an animate masculine noun

Code: Select all

S	P
NOM: vulfs	vulvus
ACC: vulf	vulvăns
GEN: vulf	vulvăns*
*the original genitive form would have been vulvăs / vulvi.

now compare it to mīnă, "moon" an inanimate feminine noun:

S	P
NOM: mīnă	mīnăns
ACC: mīnă	mīnăns
GEN: mīnăns	mīni
(I should probably create a thread for this now). But otherwise pretty cool.
My Blog

A-posteriori, alternative history nerd
Arayaz
roman
roman

Post by Arayaz »

Ruykkarraber now has a system of auxiliaries, which indicate... a lot of things. And they do weird morphosyntactic stuff, so that's fun.
Proud member of the myopic-trans-southerner-Viossa-girl-with-two-cats-who-joined-on-September-6th-2022 gang

:con: 2c2ef0 Ruykkarraber family Areyaxi family Arskiilz Kahóra Makihip-ŋAħual family Abisj
my garbage

she/her
lurker
greek
greek

Post by lurker »

I finished the first draft of the Commonthroat print alphabet, just in time for Lexember :) It's written right to left. Size is a differentiating factor, such as the difference between the chuff and the short low weak grunt. Some glyphs also differ mainly in position, such as the short high strong grunt and the long high strong grunt.
⠎⠀⠜⠎⠾⠌⠺⠀⠍⠭⠌⠉⠀⠬⠽⠬⠽⠌⠚
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Wow! It looks very Arabicky!
♂♥♂♀

lurker
greek
greek

Post by lurker »

Khemehekis wrote: 01 Dec 2023 02:14 Wow! It looks very Arabicky!
Thanks. I wasn't explicitly aiming for an Arabic feel, but it definitely leans in that direction especially given the writing direction. I actually forgot to do the short and long high weak whines (C and c), so I'm actually not finished. Here's a hand-written sample in an authentic yinrih blue-black ink (no rain smell though).

"What healer does not abide among the sick?"
⠎⠀⠜⠎⠾⠌⠺⠀⠍⠭⠌⠉⠀⠬⠽⠬⠽⠌⠚
lsd
greek
greek

Post by lsd »

lexember is an annual event for the conlang community...
it deserves a calendar...
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

@Arayaz: I like Ruykkarraber so far! It looks interesting!
lurker
greek
greek

Post by lurker »

Working on a font for Commonthroat with Inkscape and FontForge. Making fonts is hard. I'm also learning about how OpenType and Unicode determine text direction. Hint: it's not as easy as saying "this font should be right-to-left".
⠎⠀⠜⠎⠾⠌⠺⠀⠍⠭⠌⠉⠀⠬⠽⠬⠽⠌⠚
_Just_A_Sketch
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by _Just_A_Sketch »

I've been working on Tsjàta making the verbs and pronouns. I want them a bit more developed before getting a post in the thread for Tsjàta, but I just wanted to share that the 3rd person plural pronoun is Llemón /ʟe'mo˩˥n/. I just like how close it is to lemon :)
The other proud member of myopic-trans-southerner-Viossa-girl-with-two-cats-who-joined-on-September-6th-2022 gang

:con: Awloya, Olwöa, 'ai'u, Hɛlcɛso (on hiatus), Tsjàta (on hiatus)

she/they/fluff
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

I determined that thematic adjectives and nouns in Faux Phrygian can be divided into five groups based on the stress shifts they undergo. While thinking about what to name the groups, I realized that I can just number them, because, by coincidence, each of the first five ordinals fits into a different stress group. I.e., πρότος “first” is in one group, άντερος “second” is in another, τριτός “third” is in yet another, and so on. So the group names themselves are mnemonics.
WeepingElf
greek
greek

Post by WeepingElf »

Dormouse559 wrote: 06 Dec 2023 19:02 I determined that thematic adjectives and nouns in Faux Phrygian can be divided into five groups based on the stress shifts they undergo. While thinking about what to name the groups, I realized that I can just number them, because, by coincidence, each of the first five ordinals fits into a different stress group. I.e., πρότος “first” is in one group, άντερος “second” is in another, τριτός “third” is in yet another, and so on. So the group names themselves are mnemonics.
Wow!
... brought to you by the Weeping Elf
My conlang pages
lurker
greek
greek

Post by lurker »

I finished the first draft of a very sloppy font for Commonthroat, or as I would say in Commonthroat:

[long rising weak growl, yip, short high strong whine, yip short high strong whine / short high strong whine / huff, long falling weak growl, chuff, long low strong grunt, chuff]
GJsfsf f qJGrMr! 
GJ-sfsf     f   qJGr-Mr
make-MIR    PL  glyph-3.PROX
[I] made these letters, wow!   
⠎⠀⠜⠎⠾⠌⠺⠀⠍⠭⠌⠉⠀⠬⠽⠬⠽⠌⠚
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

On Sunday I finished a several-day slog of looking for missing S-words in my English-Kankonian dictionary. I ended up getting 560 new Kankonian words out of it, so it was well worth it. Here's a sampling (put in a spoiler because I've sampled so many):
Spoiler:
tikek: saccade (from a horseback rider) (borrowing from a language of Schaza)
kotsh: sample (of music)
relizlosol: Secret Santa (reliz, gift, present + losol, circle)
trolpiyosh: sargasso, tangled web
broerhirtz: sauerbraten
depap az sadepizas: sawgill (Neolentinus ponderosus) (lit. "embossed pileus")
tututu: saw-whet owl (onomatopeia)
koerbang: to scag (destroy the data on a disk)
bat: to scalp (~ a ticket)
uzhutedkhazidinte (khazidinte for short): scientific notation (uzhutedkhazid, exponent + inte, notation)
guvtulgyud: sclerophyte (noun) (made of Ciladian roots: gubh, hard + tul, leaf + gyud, plant)
khvarkhvari: scratchy (of sound)
pheriksyurkhas: the frequency with which a letter of the alphabet is used (made of Ciladian roots: pherik, letter + syurkhas, frequency)
baukel zash pheriksyurkhas: screwdriver analogy (lit. "letter-frequency analogy"; in other words, English spellers use E may times more often than Z, but all 26 letters need to be used some time or another)
khiphis: scutter (thin feces)
uskhiphis: to scutter (us-, prefix for body function verbs + khiphis)
tyesyet: skyphos (borrowing from Ciladian)
tyesyetphi: scyphozoan (made from Ciladian roots: tyesyet + phi, animal)
fosapiy: blanquillo (Sebastiania brasiliensis)
naskelludoha: to refuse to sacrifice liberty for security (naskel, pyramid + ludoha, to invert)
poirp: seedless grape
yetzuwaspladik: natural selection (yetzuwa, nature + spladik, to decide)
zhiogudam: self-own (zhio, oneself + gudam, to blush)
istzenos: selfish gene (is, I, me + tzenos, gene)
riphus: selvage (on weaving)
gzekhestra: selvage (around igneous rock)
tomnosdan: semantic primitive (tomnos, meaning + dan, atom)
tomnosdantzehi: natural semantic metalanguage (tomnosdan + tzehi(mez), language)
nairi*aitzarti: semi-identical, sesquizygotic, sesquizygous (nairi, same + *aitzart, start, beginning; to start, to begin + -i, adjective suffix)
tuzhaifash saliti: semi-influencer (lit. "light influencer")
tlasehwik: tlasehwik (board game from ancient Poparan similar to senet) (Poparanian borrowing)
woumboul: sensitive soul
haldat khemyulm: separate peace (lit. "focused armistice")
hastop: overlock (noun)
adhastopfash: overlock machine, serger (ad-, prefix for "to/for" + hastop + -fash, agent noun suffix)
tzadruk iik: sewer alligator (tzadruk, alligator + ius (na znushok), sewer + -ik, suffix for demonyms and language names, or "living in/at")
tshipmokmang: sex tourism (borrowing from another planet)
myuhwazhyur: sfumato
dayikudan: shadow government, deep state (borrowing from Shaleyan: dayik, origin, root, roots + udan, government)
belyuri*i: shaganappi
shmisp: shart
keneksendad: sheep vote (keneksen, to follow + dad, vote, to vote)
turddad: wolf vote (turd, to break; breach + dad)
kagod: shell (for eye)
shepadzpai: shepherd's pie (borrowed from English)
liubalus: enshittification (liu, business, corporation + balus, rot; to rot)
rugyat: rugyat (Rasaphi certified butcher) (borrowed from the Ciladian word for butcher)
ziseshadukhul: shock therapy (borrowing from Shaleyan: zisesh, to shock; shock, jolt + dukhul, therapy)
mudzhekhs: mudjekhs (molasses and meringue pie popular in Durben) (borrowing from a Durbenian language)
hhembidu: short-faced bear (borrowing from an exotic language)
hasakyuris: shouter (soul ~) (hasa, to yell, to shout + kyuris, singer)
ftush: to shove (Steve ~ed his cellphone into his pocket)
hawah: to shrive (hear or receive a confession)
dampra: confession (at a confessional); to confess (at a confessional), to shrive (borrowing from Phesandran)
blombarheki: to shuck and jive (blombar, donkey + heki, zebra; blombar can also mean "badfish")
yetefes: side-eye
em-mui-haues: sight word (lit. "see-and-know")
zaishapreu: silver dollar (Metynnus argenteus) (Povoian borrowing)
bwolwo-vrop (pl. bwolwu-vrop) simple eye (lit. "grape eye"; formed on analogy with bwolwo-lefzhato, the word for compound eye, lit. "sunflower eye")
bed: situs (borrowed from the Ciladian word for site)
tibudu: skeg
zlaidi: to skate through
troflo: skivvy (skirt)
blahatz bran: slice of life (lit. "brown day"; brown in Kankonian symbolizes the regular and ordinary)
zbentokhes (pl.): smitham
hayawashtau: Snares penguin (borrowing from a local language)
zgishkis: snare (on a drum)
thivas: snough; to snough (blend of thipos, sneeze, to sneeze + khavas, cough, to cough)
akwovemenossheiz: soap opera rapid ageing syndrome, SORAS (akwov, drama + emenossheiz, to lifespeed; lifespeeding)
suzha: sora (Porzana carolina)
wudanbrepark: sorbate (wudan, mountain + brepo, berry; brepo na wudan is rowan/serviceberry + -ark, chemical suffix equivalent to -ate)
ikadibbukh: sociography (made of Ciladian roots: ikadib, social + bukh, to write)
beigrenhitz: soft skill (beigren, quality (positive personality attribute) + hitz, skill)
buwumgoes-hikang (or, for short, the initialism bisp guda hu): sonobuoy (buwum, underwater + goes, sound, noise + hikang, buoy)
flokhos: sorus (on a fern)
Soraptimis: Soroptimist (Terran borrowing)
Sarawazis: Sarawazis (member of Sarawaz, a Kankonian organization that works to improve the lives of women and girls) (sara, a Vikasko dialect word for "girl, young woman, lass" + wahaz, to be able to, can (pronounced /waz/) + -is, noun for a person)
zhuva: soul (he's got ~)
golota: soupspoon
hhedkhau: closed-source (borrowing from Achel hhedcao: hhed, to be steady + -cao, suffix for -able)
hahademtroikos: sous-vide; to sous-vide (hahadem, airtight, hermetic + troikos, to cook)
gozmark dyu mormoles zaen: alien space bats (lit. "conquest by sapient hamsters")
zilbod: spaghettification (borrowing from Achel: zil, string + bod, shape)
pivivi: spearlet (pivi, spear, with the last syllable reduplicated)
deturya: evolutionary biology (detur, to evolve; evolution + -ya, suffix for a scientific study)
zhelisdeturya: speculative evolution (zhelis, imagination + deturya)
karolnerisi: speech-impaired (karol, speech + nerisas, disorder + -i)
dadist: to spell (N-O ~s "no")
pokimbitau: Spengleria rostrata (exotic borrowing)
tzvibargh: spicebush, spicewood
phuitz mevwu: spotted skunk (Spilogale) (lit. "wavy skunk")
khodes teethi: Spock ears (lit. "ears with Williams' syndrome")
byukaton: sponson
fyusheta: spoonbread
zyupsa: spooge (when putting together electronic equipment)
bintth: sprag (noun)
thlantz: sprit
hoaphor: spritsail
shyoub-adshiros: sprog, young'un, crotch-dropping (shyoub, lump + adshiros, birth canal)
greizyula: spurry
phetzisi: skunkpox
zingzink or zingst: squink (high-pitched metallic sound)
kmetaki: staghorn (deer antlers as a material)
umubriuta: staghorn coral (borrowing from a local name for the cnidarian)
dwikhwess: stale (of milk)
shuyesonishartzeria or shuyesoneria (shekh ol for short): standardized testing (shuyes, across + oni(shartz), test, exam + -eria, suffix to make an abstract noun out of a concrete word)
moes*u*us: standoff (a ~ missile) (moes, away + *u*us, guard; to guard)
angi-kizi*: starbase (on furniture) (angi, leg + kizi*, star)
agmasimez: state of confusion
fegratz hous skimozes-khod: status game (lit. "contest about ear-diamonds")
tyeshelas: stearic acid, octodecanoic acid
kufshtab or khufshtab: stempel
phyedash: stet (borrowing from Ciladian: phyed, to keep; to preserve; preservation + -ash, imperative suffix)
glofakops: Sthenurus (borrowing from a language of Didzhakanga)
lumabaitzos: steeplechase (with horses) (borrowing from a language of Schaza)
hek-herol: steeplechase (with people)
ksidil: stipes (of a crucifix)
pekset: crosspiece (of a crucifix)
shtolen: stollen (German borrowing)
pshufik: pshufik (winter pastry made with nuts and dried figs)
inampayo: to stop to think (inam, first + payo, to think)
tyad: storge (borrowing from Ciladian)
efil dyu dzedeas: stork bite, nevus flammeus nuchae (lit. "dance by the angels")
kapingu or kapingo: stour (for barges), poy
streitedzh: Straightedge, sXe (borrowed from English)
gizhafan: stratocirrus, altostratus
edparkyed: stratocumulus, cumulostratus, twain cloud (made from Ciladian roots: ed, two + par, in front of + kyed, cloud)
zapulaph: Kentia palm, thatch palm, palm court palm (Howea forsteriana)
tzires mu kwashagh: string cheese (lit. "cheese in the shape of a string cheese worm (which is a type of worm in the bhur bioswath)")
grashukh: stroma
kotamassaba: student protestor (borrowed from a Kupulshan language)
ethis: bureau, subdepartment
speshephel: subfigure (spesh, part, piece + ephel, shape)
zaidisobum: subfile (zaidi, pocket + zobum, file)
haraposs: to subitize (a word I learned on this forum not too long ago!)
mang liu wo: subinterest (borrowing from Palang: mang, piece + liu, business, corporation + wo, interest)
tyeshmapi: sublation (of thesis and antithesis), Aufhebung (borrowing from Ciladian: tyesh, up + mapi, to rise; to raise, to lift)
shiphsham: subliterate (made of Ciladian roots: shiph, weak + sham, language)
shud: subito (the Ciladian word for sudden)
peva: session (at computer/Internet) (borrowing from Javarti, from the Jukasta word for "sitting, session")
pevagigha: subsession (borrowing from Javarti, made of Jukasta roots: peva + gigha, part)
berdyuv: subvisual (made of Ciladian roots: ber, below, under + dyubh, to see; to look (at); vision, sight, eyesight; to show)
khweaki: succose, succous
tzopufarkath: summer cut (tzopu, summer + farkath, crew-cut, butch)
koharkelik splaza (kinek sima for short): supercross, SX (lit. "splattered-around obstacle course")
tamombuzablasfash or tamomblasfash for short: superspreader (tamombu, big-time + zablass, to infect + -fash)
himimimiy: supercute (himimi, cute, with the last syllable reduplicated)
hwis-hwesi: superclean
hwisk-hweski: superclear
halumphum: superdoctor (halum, total + Phum, Dr.; chosen for the rhyme)
dradzhid: superhard (of a mineral)
farskimoz: ultrahard (far, beyond + skimoz, diamond)
klobdadz: lonsdaleite
ehemarzinar: superheavy (adj.); superheavy element (ehem, after + arzinar, lawrencium)
davind: to superlie, to lie above
dutund: to lie below
lisfe*a: superlight (extremely lightweight)
gokhghouis: superstable (borrowed from Achel gocjouis: goc, to be large/great (in numerical value) + jouis, to be stable)
gokhghouispsegh: superlimit (borrowed from Achel gocjouispsegh: gocjouis + psegh, limit)
vrekor: superline (clever blend of vrikor, line (for fishing) and rekor, great)
filianizh: supernice (Filian, the name of a supernice girl in Kankonian literature + -izh, suffix for making an adjective out of somebody's name)
shphurmsurkhelzi: superorganized (shphurmsurkhelz, ship-shape (used of a literal ship) + -i)
kyuamdetra: post-elderhood (kyuam, fifth + detra, lifestage)
semamdetra: super-elderhood (semam, sixth + detra)
berkhet: substage (on a microscope) (made of Ciladian roots: ber + khet, floor; ground; grounds)
hwulyel: subphase (below a film)
otzaraitama: superplay (otzarait, maximal + ama, play)
lekiksaadel or lekiksadel: superpure, ultrapure (lekiksa, crystal + adel, pure)
pati: base (of a numeral system) (borrowing from Poparanian)
udupati: subbase (of a numeral system) (borrowing from Poparanian)
ibipati: superbase (of a numeral system) (borrowing from Poparanian)
ibetlayas: hyperreal number (borrowing from Poparanian)
kapibetlayas: superreal number (borrowing from Poparanian)
gartakash: supertaster (made from Ciladian roots: gar, strong; loud + tak, to taste; (sense of) taste + -ash, agent noun suffix)
shpopsh: supersoft tire
tetetz-heyitzi: supersocial, supersociable (tetetz(a), butterfly + heyitza, bee + -i)
lerero: supershow (reduplication of lero, show)
tephauzer: spellebrity (blend of tephas, phenomenon and ephauzer, spelling bee)
zozgrith: superterrorist (borrowed from the proxy language for the Ratharians -- a word describing the Ratharian concept)
khlorokhs: superthick
lint*i: superthin
gikhsyentikem: supertrue (Ciladian borrowing: gikhsyem, overarching + tikem, true)
gikhsyenarev: superfalse (Ciladian borrowing: gikhsyem + arebh, false)
dadin burk: supervote (lit. "heavy vote")
bwosu: superwave (bwisu, a Tentan borrowing meaning wave, with a "bigger" vowel)
paliwata: polywater, superwater, orthowater (English borrowing)
kahorisvetz: superweed (kahoris, freak + vetz, weed)
pweshyuli: superwet (of a vagina)
teyoid Y ad X: to surprise X with Y
arkhaksezhobor: sustainer (of a public radio/TV station) (arkhak, rock + sezhobor, donor)
bmung: boss (anything that domineers or rules over another)
bmung-lang: suzerain (bmung + lang, state)
basphor: swain (country boy who loves someone)
apokomai: swee waxbill (exotic borrowing)
wanatrat: swim cap, bathing cap (wana, water + trat, hat, cap)
takavwa'ing: swimline (takavwa: to dive; dive + ing, cable)
sibian: Sybian (Terran borrowing)
aivenkispush: symbiogenesis (aiven, bacterium + kispush, endosymbiosis)
kephekpyashed: symptomatology (collection of symptoms) (borrowing from Ciladian: kephekpyash, symptom (keph, disease, illness + ekpyash, implication; to imply; implicature) + -ed, suffix for a collection)
nilbyet hel iul: syndromic autism (lit. "autism with syndrome")
zhoizhoi: synthetic pop
sinthweiv: synthwave, futuresynth (Terran borrowing)
khoyimibud: khoyimibud (genre of electronic music originated in Shaleyan video games) (borrowing from Shaleyan: khoyim, game + bud, riff)
polpouk: syrette

And some idioms:

Pop aas e "pis", am pis os lesas e e pop: Say it, don't spray it. (lit. "There's a P in 'spit', but there shouldn't be spit in a P")
e hal we leyas mui soes: to smile and look the other way, to nod along (lit. "to be all smiles and yesses")
os ad zdapad: nothing to sneeze at (lit. "not to step on/trample")
♂♥♂♀

lsd
greek
greek

Happy New Year...

Post by lsd »

Nel Fie
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Nel Fie »

Due to increasing limitations as I tried to add features to my sound changer, I took the jump and replaced my primitive processing system with a custom tokeniser, and it turned out easier to write than I thought. There's still plenty of work to do, including the writing of a parser, but I hope this will make a lot of things much easier down the line.
:deu: Native (Swabian) | :fra: Native (Belgian) | :eng: Fluent | :rus: Beginner
DeviantArt | YouTube | Tumblr
kiwikami
roman
roman
Location: Oh, I don't know, I'm probably around here somewhere.

Post by kiwikami »

I was writing out a description of the naming system used by the conculture associated with Alál (which I nearly never talk about) for that thread on naming system in the Conworlds forum. ...But it has gotten rather long and grammatically complicated such that I may just turn it into another post on Alál's main thread. Dang, that thread needs to be updated. Mostly phonetically.

While writing that post, I tested out a thing I've been wanting to play with for a while - merging two vowels in different groups. Alál's vowels are divided into the "standing" /i a u/, "resting" /ɪ ɐ ɤ/, and "pulling" /e ɑ o/ groups, which interact differently with stress. This is the remnant of an old tone system, which morphed into something like pitch-accent over the last ~6 years.

Well. It's tonal again. Sort of. Technically it is now a three-way register complex.

This was... somewhat inevitable. I'd found that the actual pitch change I used to indicate that accent differed depending on vowel group - I tended to pronounce stressed standing vowels at a higher pitch, stressed pulling vowels at a lower one. This is almost certainly a psychological association with the concept of "vowel height" in the abstract, since AFAIK vowel height does not actually correspond to tonal patterns or contribute to tonogenesis in natlangs. Probably. Mostly. Information is conflicting. (On the one hand there are correlations between F0 and vowel height, see Ohala & Eukel 1987. On the other, Hombert 1977. Statistically, probably, ANADEW.)

The old stress system still applies, but tone is applied on top of this, which has finally allowed an excuse to do something I've wanted to do for years: get rid of /ɐ/. My own dialect of English has [a] for /æ/ (or it did - I've since Americanized, because living in a place where /æ/ raises to [eə] meant that [a] was far enough away to lead to misunderstanding. Can't quite maintain it before nasals, though, had a friend on Zoom call their roommate over once just to hear how I said the word "pants"...). I like /a/, and I really wanted resting /ɐ/ to be more fronted. But what to do, then with standing /a/? Didn't want to merge them, too much homophony would result (among many other things, a third of all verbs would no longer distinguish third person singular and plural subjects). Didn't want to raise it to /ɛ/ with /e/ and /ɪ/ both there, the vowel space was already so busy up front. I like things to be somewhat evenly spaced.

Solution: standing /a/ > /ɛ́/, pulling /e/ > /ɛ̀/, resting /ɐ/ > /a/ (though it remains /ɐ/ in diphthongs). And that means that tone is now officially phonemic. Sort of. It's still parceled with stress rules and some things about epenthesis - the first vowel in a word can't be pulling - thus it's technically a register complex rather than strictly tone. But still.

It's still in testing, but I do really like this so far. Spend some time writing out the rules for how tone contour over a word is determined, here's a test for the result using my latest translation challenge:

Is ur·Ḳazımlıaı lıẓıák mas : Ḷìḳıkáûax xazasa ḳıúṣ.
---> [ɪs ɤrˈŋɐʒɪmɮjɐj ɬɪt͡ʃˈjék mɐs ɪˈt͡ɬeŋɪgéwɑχ ˈxɐʒɐz ŋjut͡s]
---> [ɪ̀s ɤ̀rˈŋàʒɪ̀mɮjɐ̀j ɬɪ̀t͡ʃˈjɛ́k màs ɪ́ˈt͡ɬɛ̀ŋɪ̀gɛ́wɑ̀χ ˈxàʒàz ŋjút͡s]
ıs ur=ḳı<azv>m-lı-ı-a lıẓı<ıá>k mas ḷı<ì>ḳ-ká-ú-à-x xa<az-a#a>s ḳı<ıú>ṣ
while within=walk.aimlessly<1>-PST-DUR-VOL.ACT forest<OBL> that.OBL fall<4>-down-onto-CONC-ACT head<1-OBL> branch<PAT>

While I was walking about in the forest, a branch fell down onto my head.

The one thing that does throw a wrench in the works is that this means changing how the endonym is pronounced! It's been /ɐˈɬal/ for so long, it'll be a time getting used to /àˈɬɛ́l/.
Edit: Substituted a string instrument for a French interjection.

:eng: :mrgreen: | :fra: [:)] | ASL [:S] | :deu: [:|] | :tan: [:(] | :nav: [:'(]