(Conlangs) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

A forum for all topics related to constructed languages
Salmoneus
MVP
MVP

Re: (Conlangs) Q&A Thread - Quick questions go here

Post by Salmoneus »

I guess that from a 'semantic' point of view, you could look at logical operators. In particular, if you consider the operation of implication in different logics, and the inverses ('given that', etc), it'll give you possibilities.

It's probably more useful to think about pragmatics, though - about information structure, foregrounding and backgrounding, new and old information, surprising and unsurprising information, illocutionary force and so on.
Pabappa
greek
greek

Post by Pabappa »

I'd be interested in this too, as I've reworked the conjunctions and particles of all of my languages lately, and I'm still kind of just messing around. As a fallback, Play has a morpheme -(v)e that turns any content word into a subordinating
conjunction, with meaning like "having an X of [whatever follows]". And Dreamlandic has -si with the same function, though it's often worn down to nothing through sound change and has mostly yielded its function to analytic constructions.

One thing Im currently doing in Play is having "if .... then" and "because .... (therefore)" distinguished only by a mood marker on the first clause.

Another is having polarity morphemes that often would translate to nothing in English; they set the listener's expectations, that's all. Might be helpful in a mostly-SOV language like Play where the verbal negation is often the last word in the sentence. But there's also a positive polarity marker and probably others with mixed truth values.

AND+NOT is a good one to have.

There might be conjunctions corresponding to what some languages use noun cases for. For example, how about a benefactive subordinating conjunction? English uses "for", though it's not bound exclusively to that use.
Makapappi nauppakiba.
The wolf-sheep ate itself. (Play)
Kesshin
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Kesshin »

This is something new in Daas I added to avoid excessively long /ɑ::/ and /ɛ::/
Vowel Repetition Due to Affixes:
Two a’s: the second “a” becomes “e”.
Two e’s: second “e” becomes “a”
Isn't this technically vowel harmony?
he/him, they/them
Forgive me if I seem uneducated or disorganized, I am new to the community and vocab.

currently hyperfocused on: Daas
Arayaz
mayan
mayan

Post by Arayaz »

Kesshin wrote: 13 May 2024 15:12 This is something new in Daas I added to avoid excessively long /ɑ::/ and /ɛ::/
No. I'd call it vocalic dissimilation; vowel harmony is a process of vocalic assimilation. That is, in vowel harmony, the vowels in a word must have some feature in common (e.g. frontedness; this is an oversimplified version, but it's just for clarification purposes); in your system, when two vowels come in a row, one of them changes to be less like the other. So no, it's not vowel harmony.
Proud member of the myopic-trans-southerner-Viossa-girl-with-two-cats-who-joined-on-September-6th-2022 gang

:con: 2c2ef0 Areyaxi family Arskiilz Kahóra Xúuuatxia Alushi [Unnamed] Ẹlnk kakúsan
my garbage Ɛĭ3

she/her
Flavia
sinic
sinic

Post by Flavia »

Kesshin wrote: 13 May 2024 15:12 This is something new in Daas I added to avoid excessively long /ɑ::/ and /ɛ::/
This is called dissimilation. Vowel harmony involves assimilation and is generally larger in scope than a single hiatus.
XIPA
Abaniscen cancasirnemor!
she/her
Kesshin
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Kesshin »

Arayaz wrote: 13 May 2024 15:19
No. I'd call it vocalic dissimilation; vowel harmony is a process of vocalic assimilation. That is, in vowel harmony, the vowels in a word must have some feature in common (e.g. frontedness; this is an oversimplified version, but it's just for clarification purposes); in your system, when two vowels come in a row, one of them changes to be less like the other. So no, it's not vowel harmony.
Flavia wrote: 13 May 2024 15:20 This is called dissimilation. Vowel harmony involves assimilation and is generally larger in scope than a single hiatus.
Ohh okay. Thank you!
he/him, they/them
Forgive me if I seem uneducated or disorganized, I am new to the community and vocab.

currently hyperfocused on: Daas
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

Pabappa wrote: 09 May 2024 00:09 There might be conjunctions corresponding to what some languages use noun cases for. For example, how about a benefactive subordinating conjunction? English uses "for", though it's not bound exclusively to that use.
To avoid confusion, I want to point out that “for” as a conjunction isn’t benefactive. It expresses cause, like “because”. The closest English conjunction to what you’re describing, as far as I can tell, would be “so that”. That said, I do like the idea of a benefactive conjunction; I suppose the “beneficiary” would be a certain action or event that is aided somehow by the independent clause.
Imralu
roman
roman

Post by Imralu »

In my language, Tobarese, the orthography that was designed by missionaries marked ejectives with a following <!>, so <p! t! k! ts! ch! tl!>. For the new orthography, I’m using <q>, which also represents a glottal stop, but it’s unambiguous because there are no clusters where they could be confused and whectives never occur word-finally.

Aesthetically, I prefer <!>, but I’m assuming it might be a nightmare in digital applications. E.g. in the Glosbe dictionary of Swahili, it’s impossible to search the translation database for examples of words that contain /ŋ/ because it’s spelt <ng’> and it treats what comes before and after as separate words… and when you search in the dictionary, it treats the straight and the curly apostrophe differently, and some people have to ben entered words with the acute accent symbol. Just a nightmare.

So, for anyone who knows computery stuff: having ! in the orthography is likely to cause a lot of this kind of headache, isn’t it?
Glossing Abbreviations: COMP = comparative, C = complementiser, ACS / ICS = accessible / inaccessible, GDV = gerundive, SPEC / NSPC = specific / non-specific, AG = agent, E = entity (person, animal, thing)
________
MY MUSIC | MY PLANTS
Nel Fie
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Nel Fie »

Imralu wrote: 19 May 2024 14:00 In my language, Tobarese, the orthography that was designed by missionaries marked ejectives with a following <!>, so <p! t! k! ts! ch! tl!>. For the new orthography, I’m using <q>, which also represents a glottal stop, but it’s unambiguous because there are no clusters where they could be confused and whectives never occur word-finally.

Aesthetically, I prefer <!>, but I’m assuming it might be a nightmare in digital applications. E.g. in the Glosbe dictionary of Swahili, it’s impossible to search the translation database for examples of words that contain /ŋ/ because it’s spelt <ng’> and it treats what comes before and after as separate words… and when you search in the dictionary, it treats the straight and the curly apostrophe differently, and some people have to ben entered words with the acute accent symbol. Just a nightmare.

So, for anyone who knows computery stuff: having ! in the orthography is likely to cause a lot of this kind of headache, isn’t it?
I'm a hobby-programmer rather than a pro-programmer, and I can only speak based on the experience of creating my own conlanging software: "!" is not inherently troublesome, but you might well run into issues if you use other people's software.

Purely based on how a computer handles text, "!" isn't any more special than any other character, and you shouldn't encounter any trouble in something like a text editing app. However, other kinds of software (e.g. search engines and databases) are often programmed to treat "!" differently, which probably belies that in English and many other languages, it is used for punctuation; and has also seen uses in general symbol-based communication (e.g. road signs), and this association seeps into usage. So you might well find "!" to be unavailable for use in various apps that you perhaps intend to use in the creation and documentation of your conlang.

There's even a good example in linguistics of this differentiated use of "!", where I've seen it used to "invert" phonological environments (e.g. writing "!s_" is supposed to mean "except after /s/").
:deu: Native (Swabian) | :fra: Native (Belgian) | :eng: Fluent | :rus: Beginner
DeviantArt | YouTube | Tumblr