Amayi

Discussions about constructed worlds, cultures and any topics related to constructed societies.
thethief3
cuneiform
cuneiform

Amayi

Post by thethief3 »

The world i have been working on since november last year. Second spoiler contains objectionable content.
Spoiler:
History (Taken from an Elven Tomb of Lore)
The world begins with the birth of the two great dragons known in the elven tongue as Namía and Orunei. Whereas Namía was drawn to unchanging things like the void her sister desired change and so began creating spirits but they fizzled out and died as there was nothing for them to interact with. Realising she could not create anything to entertain her alone she asked for the help of her sister and she responded by creating the Encircling Heavens through which she set in slow but eternal motion as well as clouds to give her spirits something to latch onto. From this Orunei continued further and created a dance of spirits known as Ariteni who swirled the matter of the clouds into shape and sang in a beautiful but cacophonous voice for more, more, more and so their mother created more matter taking her sisters idea of solidity and transferring it into solid matter which could be molded with hands. Seeing this her sister Namía began shaping the heavens above and populated it with spirits of her own known as Aridanno and began creating the high heavens with them. Her sister responded in kind and began forging the earth but feared her sister's order would make it wither and die. Little did she know her sister used just a little of her chaos to give her spirits independent thought and they also had little mastery over her earth but bent hearts and the light of heaven. So the twin of freedom attacked her foe declaring her an enemy of the world and its future inhabitants. For a thousand years they fought away from the earth and heavens but eventually Namía defeated Orunei. She spared her sister but she was tired after her fight so she slept for another thousand years.

From the Elven Hymns

nasa násuli naránya sama tútan né siskása ta anarésa ṡuláuṡioṡi ṅáráma ta takíṡini
3.sg.f PERF-wake new+when 3.sg.f-ESS COP sister-3.sg.f and now+3.sg.f domain+over+over world+AUG and thing-PL-3.sg.n-CONS
“When she awoke anew she was far larger than her sister and she now had domain over and over the great world and its things”

She decided she had to take responsibility for the world but not after seeking the guidance of her sister but she would sleep for another thousand years and so she waited and during this time she made herself pregnant and the first of her sons Mastenane “Tranquil One” or Maiár “the Mighty” was born before her sister awoke. Mastenane was tranquil like his mother and rarely played under her guidance but watched the world from afar. When Orunei awoke he accompanied his mother to greet her and there he spoke his name in his own tongue Sarynná from where we get the words Sari “first”. He was eager to hear his aunt's plans for the world and she told of a peopling of the world who would honour his siblings and make use of the bounty of the world and shape it into new and fine forms but also lead lives of fate and happenstance but also good will towards others. With that his mother gave birth to another child Nahtanani who although she was young shone bright with great light never seen before. Maiár was eager to create a world but her sister checked her with the words Na Inò “not yet” and her mother complied saying she felt she had not given birth to enough children. They took after each other and in time Maiár grew to love his sister but it was unrequited and he never confessed waiting for her to as he hoped she would.

Namía had six more children including the mother of our own people Yaréisa and it was then she decided she had enough. Her children were of shadow, light, earth, fire, water, ice, storm and spirit and they descended to the world to shape it as they see fit. It was here they encountered the great dragon of the skies Nanayei who gave the world wind in its encircling air and held the greatest of the Ariteni known as Mano in our tongue as her herald. She greeted each of the other dragons as her kin as she like all the earliest dragons had no other form and naively offered Maiár her hand as she was drawn to his might and even though he initially refused as he still had love for Nahtanani she eventually won him over. She fell in love and mated with him, creating their first child Arwenge who ruled the birds of the world. Eventually Nahtanani fell in love with Rautainá and mated, giving birth to 5 children. First Marasa who’s light shined so bright it dwarfed her mother, next Auloiná the great smith who forged the volcanoes of the world, next Tahtiaulo who granted us the stars which were set in the sky before we awoke, next Náryanna who burns with the fire of sacred flames and finally Iloun the beloved who shone with a light so pure it could banish nearly any evil in one’s heart. Though it had not yet come to pass Sarynna would grow to resent him most of all as in him he saw the pure love he felt for his first sister once.

Later Sjénaina paired with Ceruiná and Tulimari paired with Galacrá but before the dragons set about forging the earth under the guidance of their mother and under the will of Orunei. Rautainá forged the fire and inner core of the world and shaped the movements of the continents, Ceruiná his brother fashioned the seas, Nanayei granted the air and weather of the world while Galacrá granted it power and energy as well as the lightning of storms, Sjénaina granted it cold and the great ices of the north as well as abatement from death. Yaréisa our mother fashioned the animals and trees of the world while her sister Tulimari granted them independence of thought and would wait to give the children of the world spirits which would shape their destinies as intended by Orunei while Nahtanani brought light to the world and granted the laws of society to our own group of elves. Finally Maiár made the shadows and depths of the world and granted a great part of his power to his kin so he had power over every part of the world especially the sea as it was the largest of the worlds realms.

All was not well in heaven however for rumours grew amongst the spirits that their mother had abandoned them and created the earth to surpass them and so the greatest of them Aldán talked to his Ariteni kin and convinced many of those who hadn’t fell in league with the great dragons to kill others of their kin to grant him their powers. And so a thousand Ariteni were sacrificed and Aldán grew to be a dark lord of matter, lord of the world.

Next Namía asked her child of light to create life as she shone with pure intention but Maiár rebuked his mother saying he came first. His mother responded saying she intended his children to be last as he had not heard of his aunt’s plan before he was born but Nanayei responded that her children should be last as she never heard her aunt's plans before living within the world. And so Nahtanani created her children out of iron will and light and they shone so bright they made other creatures of the world turn in fear or awe. She called them to Andewe or bright in her own words and they were alike spirits and not men so couldn’t breed. Her mother rebuked her saying these would be no good for the world but she could not bring them to destroy them so she made them the guards of heaven. She then began creating her own spirits to serve the dragons known as Kobolds and then created Drakes to mate with unpaired female dragons as male dragons were few in number. She then summoned the third of her children Yaréisa but before she could devise children of her own Aldán marred the world splitting apart its continents and creating chaos in its seas. For a hundred years war raged between him and the Dragons but he was eventually defeated by Maiár who was mightier than even him. And so he cursed his name and he became known as Galáran in our tongue. For this task he would feel he was thankless in time although his siblings admired him for his strength.
Spoiler:
Maiár’s rebellion
After the creation of the original isles of the world and its peopling by at this time a few races. Maiár eventually grew to resent his position in the world. In his heart he longed for admiration and most of all the love of his sister Nahtanani so he lurked outside of the world for long periods after an age a voice eventually spoke to him telling him to claim his heart’s desire so he went to Nahtanani and asked for her hand and when she rejected him he forced herself upon him. In his shame he fled and was banished by the other Dragons so he returned to the void where the voice once again spoke to him. In his rage and pride his darker aspects seeped out of his body and fused with this shadow who was actually the third of the creation trio the god of the void as well as with some of his sister’s latent power creating the three headed dragon Mainictara the Primal Night. This dragon warred against the world and in its latent jealousy slew Iloun which caused Orunei to unmake the world in a fit of rage. Seeing what he had done Maiár slew Mainictara after his brothers and sisters had each delivered a wound to them and tried to resurrect his niece in his grief but couldn’t due to the limits of his own power. So it fell on Namía using part of Maiár’s power to resurrect him as well as the rest of the world. And so the world was remade anew with great continents to fill with countless peoples. During this time the other great races of the world came to being as well as many lesser races and Maiár was forgiven. In time Nahtanani gave birth to three children: the trickster and masked dragons and the dragoness of protection. She also used the power of Primal Genesis to give birth to the dragoness of the holy word but this was much earlier as she never gave birth after the birth of her elder brother’s children.
thethief3
cuneiform
cuneiform

Re: Amayi

Post by thethief3 »

Amarin
*p *t *k *kʷ
*s *sʲ
*r *l
*j *w
*m *n *nʲ

*i *u
*ɛ *ɔ
*a

*ɛ and *ɔ generally did not occur in non-initial syllables except in loanwords interdialectal borrowings and compounding
*j did not occur initially except in loanwords
Generally dialects add *ts or lose *r

CVC syllable structure maximally with stops not being able to occur before another consonant and Nasal + Stop sequences being only found in borrowings

Amarin was head initial in most cases but its ancestor Proto Amaric was verb final. Some languages including Central Amaric languages which Amarin belongs to have preserved the verb final aspect and some have even innovated other head final phrases but many Amaric languages at this point are purely head initial.

Sound Changes from Proto Amaric
To Central Amaric
*tʲ/sʲ > *sʲ
*lʲ > *ɕ or any shibilant really
*w > *: when non initial
*j > *d when initial
*h > *X
Stop > X _C
Nasal + Stop sequences lenite to voiced stops
Possibly *ɛ and *ɔ in unstressed syllables raised to high mid vowels but some maintain this was always the case

To Old (Najansipaa) Amaric
*sʲ > *s
*ɕ > *sʲ
*b/gʷ > *w
*d > X
*g > *j
*r is lost intervocalically and even rarer becomes *t initially but both of these are dialectal
*gʷ also is reflected as *j but this is once again dialectal

To Current (Kilsiima) Amaric
p > X before high vowels
*t > *r before high vowels
*k > *j before high vowels
High-Mid vowels to high vowels
*t > *s before *i
*p > *t before *i

Sporadic Changes
Assimilation of coronal clusters to their first element (these usually weren't borrowed from other dialects as assimilation is sporadic)
*s > *sʲ before *i (dialectal)
*a > *e finally (dialectal)
*a > *o/u in unstressed syllables (dialectal)
*k > *s/sʲ before *i (s is actually *ts in such dialects and it only occurs in dialects which have merged *i/u (either before or after *e and *o raised)
Sometimes the elements of lenition from stops before high vowels are different most of these forms are dialectal but are rare except for *p > *w
thethief3
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by thethief3 »

The Elven Script used to write Proto Elven

And the descent of a particular 6th generation dragon.
thethief3
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by thethief3 »

Amarin has a complex system of modal inflection and that's just inflection. All these forms generall raised and *a to and *i.

Irrealis
*-ma "imperative"
*-mais "near future"
*-manu "conditional"
*-mai "future"
*-miia "speculative"
*-mini "desiderative"
*-muńu "benefactive"
*-mannu "necessitive"
*-miin "permissive"

All of these except the near future and necessitive occured in Proto Amaric.

Imperative
Marked commands. It is rather impolite but can be used

ina mapi nik
dog COP-Imp EXCLM
“Be a dog then”

napama
shine-Imp
“Shine!”

Near Future
Used for future events occurring in a short amount of time.

mai sipika śapi
3.sg.m COP.Nfut DEM.loc.1
“He will be here soon”

ne tul isimaisina
1.sg OPT go-Nfut-1.sg
“I promise to go soon”

It also functions as a future perfect

mai isimais tu śaki
3.sg.m go-Nfut GEN DEM.loc.2
“He will have gotten away by then”

Subjunctive conditional
Used for irrealis conditionals.

mai tauïmanu ne tomaina
3.sg.m come-Irrcond 1.sg leave-FUT-1.sg
“If he comes i will leave”

Like with the indicative conditional you can use it after another sentence to indicate an action may be taken in response to a known event.

unii passa tu sii isamanu
snow fall GEN 3.sg.f go-Irrcond
“Snow falls so she may go”

Future
Indicates future events.

śuuaśumai jurijumais
song+verb-IMPF-FUT dance-IMPF-Nfut
“Singing will come, dancing will follow”

Speculative
Used for things which are speculated

śaasamiaa
rain+VERB-Spec
“It may be raining”

Desiderative
Marked things the speaker wishes to occur.

a nuja sontimini ii ne
INT light burn-DES DAT 1.sg
“Oh light will you burn for me?”

ne aniniminina
1.sg ACT-IMPF-DES-1.sg
“I desire action”

ne osina man naaüminita
1.sg propose 1.dual talk-DES-1.dual
“I propose we talk”

Negative wishes are also seen.

ne śaas lauja tauïminina tu jantu
1.sg rain NEG come-DES-1.sg GEN day+this
“I wish rain didn’t come today”

Benefactive
Indicated that if an action happened it would benefit the speaker. It also indicated polite commands or wishes.

amaaï śaasimuńu juta
dragoness rain+VERB-Ben honey
“If the dragoness rained honey it would good for me”
“I’d like to be rich”

sii isamuńu ne
3.sg.f go-Ben 1.sg
“She might go for me”

ruin tu nisii meniimuńu
glory GEN queen many+VERB-Ben
“Queen’s glory abound!”

Necessitive
Indicates things that should happen. It in certain cases is a very strong command even stronger than the imperative.

śo mapiu śapa
so COP.Necc DEM.LOC.3
“So it should be then”

isiimannusi
go-IMPF-Necc-2
“You should be going”

sai to lauja unaminnu siwimo alu
boy DEM.1 NEG like-Necc demon all
“This boy shouldn’t like demons”

Permissive
This died out in the standard language around 500 years ago but is still used in the speech of the lower classes and many dialects. *-miin is the form of older *-miil in that idiodialect and it is mostly known because it's the way a lower class person would ask for something from an upper class person.

asmiinna uni we
ask-PERM-1.sg urchin few
“I ask for your few urchins”
Last edited by thethief3 on 19 Oct 2023 08:53, edited 1 time in total.
thethief3
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by thethief3 »

Proto Eastern Human
*b *d *dʒ *g *ɢ *ɢʷ
*p *t *tʃ *k *q *qʷ
*f *s *ʃ *x *ɣ
*r *l *ʎ
*w *j
*m *n *ɲ *ŋ

*i *u
*e *o
*a
No length distinction but pitch accent (unaccented vs high tone on any syllable was seen)

Maximally CCVCC syllable structure

*qassa “eagle”
*qans- “bird”
*ɢʷale “weasel/stoat”
*niks- “fox/tail”
*saltʃa “salt”
*tʃamen “rabbit”
*l[ú/ó][p/qʷ]o “wolf” probably just *lúpo (but the inconsistencies make *lā́gʷa and *duku work)
*qá(n)no “dog”
*biʃin “she dog”
*ɢello “soul”
*kaspa “to turn”
*oxi “ox”
*talpin “to pin”
*andra “man”
*mésta(n/m) “woman”
*kúrro “spear/weapon”
*lúɣi “luck”
*nag- “power/powerful/great”
*dʒedaki “god/spirit/dragon”
*fulá “full”
*brandí “alcohol”
*mort- “death/to die/end”
*tólna “sun”
*kaddó “horse”
*belt- “ruler/to rule/master”
*ketém “wind/augury”
*borda- “to whip”
*mórda “bad”
*bruwen “bear”
*jons- “sky/dawn”
*ɣáts “oats/wheat/grain”
*baŋa “to make noise”
*kuldop “cattle/wealth”
*natsí “friend”
*telfén “graceful”
*bittá “to drink/to imbibe sacred substances”
*dikmá “spider”
*lijos “lightning”
*bel- “person/home”
*temó “to annoy”
*skalstá “song”
*ráʃʃi “fire”
*ɲord- “river”
*ʎantá “beautiful”
thethief3
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by thethief3 »

Amarin copula forms.
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

I like this all, so far! I will follow (probably lurking) with interest!
thethief3
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by thethief3 »

And even more future forms.
*nari “one” > *nari > *neri
*sina “two” > *śina > *śina
*isju “three” > *isju > *isju
*saa “four” > *see > *see
*wikan > *wijan > *wiją
*nura “six” > *nura > *nura
*sanis “seven” > *sanis > *senis
*palka “eight” > *palka > *pauka
*luni “nine” > *luni > *luni
*iski “ten” from > *isti > *issi
*ana “eleven” > *ana > *ana
*tauri “twelve” > *tauri > *tauri
*ilai “thirteen” > *ijai > *ijei
*issaa “fourteen” > *issee > *issii
*kaja “fifteen” > *kaja > *kaja
*sawi “sixteen” > *sawi > *sewi
*torra “seventeen” > *tarta > *tarta
*naskii “eighteen” > *nastii > *nessii
*ińas “nineteen” > *ińas > *ińas
*mini “twenty” > *mini > *mini

Amarin Further Changes
This dialect went through different changes so little *rt > *rr assimilation and *k becomes *t before previous *e or *ei instead of *p. Also *pVkʷ becomes *kʷVk and *kʷVkʷ becomes *pVk

*s > *ś before *i
Beginning of consonant gradation *p > *w and *k > *j intervocalically before a coda
*p/t > *s before *i
*k > *t before *i
*o > *a after labials
*aa > *ee after *i/ii/ee or an alveolar
*o > *a before a nasal
Intervocalic *m loss leaving behind nasal vowels
*l > *j before *a
Full consonant gradation begins
Geminates degeminate
*rt/lt > *rr/ll
*ND > *NN
*k/kʷ > *w after a consonant
Final consonants other then *t/s/l/n lost leaving behind a nasal vowel if they are nasal
*o > *a before a labial or *r
Last edited by thethief3 on 24 Oct 2023 12:05, edited 1 time in total.
thethief3
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by thethief3 »

Some Amarin Idioms/Expressions
manja ami kuju na sua
NEG COP.2.sg rabbit LNK 2.sg
“It’s not your rabbit”
“It’s not your business”

manja ami kili na sua
NEG COP.2.sg fish LNK 2.sg
“It’s not your fish”
“It’s not your gift”

mori ami koko na a
NEG COP.2.sg cat LNK 2.sg
“It’s not your cat”
“It’s not your gift”

ama na kusi puri nar naja
be.like LNK run + try.and.catch = chase LAT sun
“Like chasing the sun”
“It’s not difficult”

tu lauja sambasi umia pappu api napatan na sua
GEN NEG drink-2.sg ocean whole satisfy.needs thirsty+NOM LNK 2.sg
“Don’t drink the whole ocean to quench your thirst”
“Don’t be difficult/unreasonable”

siini tu uni inu mee
COP.1.pl GEN on island DEM.Spec
“We’re on an island”
“This is just how things are”

sua mori kirrininsi poko to
2.sg NEG heart+join=marry human DEM.Nonsp
“You wouldn’t marry a human”
“You wouldn’t marry someone you don’t love”

ama ńarra naasinsa
be.like blood milk
“Like blood and milk”
“Family and friends”

mai kamiwi wa tati muu
3.m come-Near from chair big
“He came from the big chair”
“He is bearing important news”

le mamasa sim lun pana na siju to
3.n located LOC.OUT along tail LNK siju DEM.Nonsp
“It’s located along the/a riding beast’s tail”
“This puzzles me”

pa ama paka tu śinśimaa mee
3.n be.like bag GEN feather.pl DEM.Spec
“It’s like a bag of feathers”
“This puzzles me”

morima papakatasi nanaasin kappam nurri sinsimaa
NEG.IMPF IMPF-go.out-2 IMPF-wear cape composed.of
“You wouldn’t go out wearing a cape made of feathers”
“You shouldn’t rush things”

ama patismaa unamaa
Be.like weasel-pl fox-pl
“Like weasels and foxes”
“That’s the plan”
Last edited by thethief3 on 31 Oct 2023 00:27, edited 1 time in total.
thethief3
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by thethief3 »

I think an appropriate sound change from Proto Amaric to Central Amaric is *l > *ɬ in contact with *h which as before is lost (as well as sporadically near other fricatives). This becomes *sʲ in Amarin and remains as such as Kanda (with *r > *ɬ in western dialects as in Forest Nenets). As these two languages don't merge *sʲ with *š we can have the others undego the remerger with *l creating a "Core Central Amaric" defined by two changes. As they are geographically discontiguous its unlikely this is a true grouping but some scholars posit it with Kanda and Amarin expanding later.
thethief3
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by thethief3 »

Rautainá was quite brazen in his youth and full of pride like Maiár but unlike him he was more hotheaded and passionate. Despite this he had reservations about affection. He competed for the love of Nahtanani against his older brother and in him she saw the forge of the world as he was of the fires of the earth as well as the god of metal. Sarynna had been quite doting on his sister and enjoyed the playtime between them in his youth. However Nahtanani had grown quite iron willed in her middle youth and saw Rautainá as more suitable for her although he hadn’t grown as paternalistic and austere yet although he was always stern in will. Nahtanani’s’ youthful character was succeeded by Marasa who sought to outdo her mother (and father) and as such she created her own race the Chienna to fill the world with a race of light giving them her strength and radiant character. She shared her creation with her brother Ilóun (now with an acute) who imparted his purity, holiness and naivety on them as well as their large size although the sun was her sole creation (and the moon created by Tide Dancer).

Miscellany about Dragons
Galacrá is now female (this has been decided for a while). She is known as the Clock Dragon by the culture i am developing due to her own race's nature being gifted with magic which works in tune with mechanical devices and electricity. She is now paired with a dragon of Sjénaina’s self genesis noted for his cold intelligence which suits her through she is more living in her nature. Rautainá would have probably ended up with Galacrá if he had not wed Nahtanani.

One of the most widely worshiped dragons is the daughter of the tides (Tidal Dancer) who also created her son the moon through self genesis. She is ultimately a 6th generation dragon descending from 5 of the 9 Great Dragons
thethief3
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by thethief3 »

Numerals in Amarin and their previous stages in Proto Amaric, Proto Central Amaric and Old Amarin
*nari “one” from *nati > *nati > *nati
*sina “two” from *śina > *śina > *sina
*isju “three” from *eisku > *eisku > *eisku
*saa “four” from *santa > *sada > *saa
*wikan “five” from *wikan > *wikan > *wikan
*nura “six” from *noura > *noura > *noura
*sanis “seven” from *saniś > *saniś > *sanis
*palka “eight” from *palka > *palka > *palka
*luni “nine” from *luni > *luni > *luni
*iski “ten” from *iske > *iske > *iske
*ana “eleven” from *jana > *ana > *ana
*tauri “twelve” from > *tauti > *tauti > *tauti
*ilai “thirteen” from *pilai > *pilai > *pilai
*issaa “fourteen” from *iski+saa
*kaja “fifteen” from *kanka > *kaga > *kaja
*sawi “sixteen” from *sampi >*sabi > *sawi
*torra “seventeen” from *torta > *torta > *torta
*naskii “eighteen” from *naskii > *naskii > *naskii
*ińas “nineteen” from *eińat́ > *eińaś > *eińas
*mini “twenty” from *meine > *meine > *meine
thethief3
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by thethief3 »

Amarin now has a concessive mood
Used for when something presupposed influences something else.

nanimaamiasi na sii maniima pala
be.here-IMPF-Concessive-2 LNK 3.f be.that.IMPF
“You’re here so she won’t be”

tu ataramia wilsitanana jasamannuta nawa
of arrive.IMPF-Concessive wind+spring go-Necessitive-1.dual walk
“It’s Spring weather’s arrival so let’s go for a walk”

With other irrealises it unlike the conditional indicated that the condition was factual.

apamuńu tu nanimiasi akai
be.that-Benefactive of be.here-Concessive-2 be.now
“It’s good for me that you are here now”

apimia ruuai na makinaminina sua
COP.2.sg.Concessive sweet LNK kiss-DESI-1.sg 2.sg
“You’re sweet so i’d like to kiss you”

miti pemia sim anu na mai maa mai pasamai pana wawan

be.with COP.3.sg.Concessive LOC.OUT neck LNK 3.m EMPH, 3.m have-FUT tail massive
“With it being to his neck already, he will have a massive tail”

sua manja kamimanu na ne taapa
2.sg NEG come-Conditional LNK 1.sg be.there
“Even if you don’t come i will still be there”

And a verbal partitive...
inunasamna uniamamai
to.love-PART-1.sg sea+salmon+INST.m
“I love salmonsea partly”