They passed down all the roads long ago...

A forum for translations, translation challenges etc. Good place to increase your conlang's vocabulary.
kiwikami
roman
roman
Location: Oh, I don't know, I'm probably around here somewhere.

They passed down all the roads long ago...

Post by kiwikami »

Ah, it looks like it's time for my once-yearly inexplicable surge of wistful The Last Unicorn nostalgia.

:eng: They passed down all the roads long ago. And the Red Bull ran behind them, and covered their footsteps.

:con: Alál

Lukǐrlukuklılımàax lúk. Kıkìsmıtutıìlıtaı Ḳrılıut Ṣaıxám, Ṭakìzlıàx txıúhaúz.
[ɬɤˈkerɮɤgɤkɬɪˌmɑʕχ ɬuk kɪˈkezmɪdɤdˌjeɮɪdɐj ˈŋrɪɮɪft t͡sɐjˈxam tʼɐˈkeʃljɑχ ˈtxjuʝˤuʃ]
lu<vkì-ŕ-1vŕkv>k-lı~lı-mà-à-x lu<ú>k kı<vkì>s+mtu<tı-ì-lı>t-ı-a ḳrıl<ıu>t ṣa<ıv>x-vŕ-m ṭa<vkì>z-lı-à-x txu<ıv-ŕ>ha<ú>z
follow<3.3PL-PL-all.OBJ>-PST~EXT-away-CONC-VOL.ACT road<PAT>, run<3.3PL>+follow<behind-close-PST>-DUR-VOL.ACT ox<AGT> red<3>-ATTR-STAT conceal<3.3PL>-PST-CONC-VOL.ACT footprint<3-PL><PAT>
Edit: Substituted a string instrument for a French interjection.

:eng: :mrgreen: | :fra: [:)] | ASL [:S] | :deu: [:|] | :tan: [:(] | :nav: [:'(]
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Re: They passed down all the roads long ago...

Post by Iyionaku »

Did you capitalize Red Bull on purpose, i.e. is there any relation between the text and the Austrian softdrink manufacturer?
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.
kiwikami
roman
roman
Location: Oh, I don't know, I'm probably around here somewhere.

Post by kiwikami »

Iyionaku wrote: 26 Jun 2023 11:11 Did you capitalize Red Bull on purpose, i.e. is there any relation between the text and the Austrian softdrink manufacturer?
Ha! There is not - I'd honestly forgotten it was also a drink. It's a book quote, where the Red Bull is a character and thus has all the Capitalization Gravitas of a Proper Noun.
Edit: Substituted a string instrument for a French interjection.

:eng: :mrgreen: | :fra: [:)] | ASL [:S] | :deu: [:|] | :tan: [:(] | :nav: [:'(]
Fluffy8x
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Fluffy8x »

:con: ŋarâþ crîþ v9

šinen tfełasor arannel’po fêtecto vfełectelt. ea #{cenþa cêpos} gašjodas’or mitrirþ etenro neldraþ.
[ʃinen tfeɬasoɹ aɹanːelpo fètekto veɬektelt ea kenθa kèpos gaʃodasoɹ mitɹiu̯θ etenɹo neldɹaθ]
šinen tfeł-asor arant-nel=’po fê-tecto v\fełc-telt. ea #{cenþ-a cêp-os} gašjod-as=’or mitr-irþ etenr-o neldr-a-þ.
all.DET road-DAT.PL long_time-ACC.DI=by 3GC-before PFV\pass_by-3PL.PST.PFV and #{red-REL.NOM,NOM.SG cattle-NOM.SG} shadow-LOC.SG=POSS.3.HUM fast-SER footprint-DAT.CO follow_along-3SG-PST
All the roads they passed a long time ago. And Red Bull ran behind them and followed along their footsteps.
The creator of ŋarâþ crîþ v9.
Dormouse559

Post by Dormouse559 »

kiwikami wrote: 26 Jun 2023 10:41 Ah, it looks like it's time for my once-yearly inexplicable surge of wistful The Last Unicorn nostalgia.

:eng: They passed down all the roads long ago. And the Red Bull ran behind them, and covered their footsteps.
Oof, baby Dormouse was so scared by this line, or the part where the unicorn remembers it later, AFAICT. The contrast with the rest of the butterfly's "conversation" was jarring.

(For those unfamiliar, whose conlangs care about such information, "they" are unicorns. The speaker is a male butterfly, and the addressee is a female unicorn. (The Venn diagram of people who both haven't seen "The Last Unicorn" and have invented a specific grammatical form for talking about unicorns must be microscopic [:P] ))

Image Silvish

Written standard
I a lonten k' as s' enfuiön paus çhemin. E lo Tauré de Foi a leu-r ourlé li a-t rekover las trace d' leus pas.
there have.3S long_ago SBRD 3P.FEM 3REFL flee-3P by-DEF.M-PL path | and DEF-M.C bull of fire at 3P.POSS hem 3S.NOM have.3S cover-PSTP DEF-F.C-PL trace of 3P.POSS-PL step
They passed down all the roads long ago. And the Red Bull ran close behind them, and covered their footprints.

Moûtiers dialect transcription
Y a lontin k' a s' infûyön po kkhemin. E lo Tåré de Få a leu-r ourlé y a-t rek'ver la ttras' d' lu ppá.
[ja.lɔ̃ˈtɛ̃ŋ ka.sɛ̃ˈfyː.jŋ̩ pɔx.xəˈmɛ̃ŋ | e.lo.tɔˈʁe dəˈfɔː ʔa.lœ.ʁuˈle ja.tʁekˈvɛʁ lɑˈtʁas dlyˈpɑ]

I modeled my translation on the French version, which renames the Red Bull as le Taureau de Feu or "Bull of Fire".

New vocabulary
a l' ourlé de - on the heels of, in hot pursuit (lit.: at the hem of)
s' enfuirï v - to flee
Iyionaku
mayan
mayan

Post by Iyionaku »

kiwikami wrote: 26 Jun 2023 11:27
Iyionaku wrote: 26 Jun 2023 11:11 Did you capitalize Red Bull on purpose, i.e. is there any relation between the text and the Austrian softdrink manufacturer?
Ha! There is not - I'd honestly forgotten it was also a drink. It's a book quote, where the Red Bull is a character and thus has all the Capitalization Gravitas of a Proper Noun.
Ok, thank you! I was asking because for Yélian, I would have left it untranslated if it had a connection to the company. But as it's a character I am going to calque it.

:con: Yélian

Yibætʻi iu aceró siy piytælros. Deve cenʻit a'Porcenel yipalpet èpa yùiridet cenim cerensáun.
[ɕɨˈbœtʔi ɪ̯uː aːkəˌɾoː sa̯iː ˈpa̯iːˌtœlɾɔ̈ʃ | ˈdeːʋə ˈkenʔɨt ɐˈpoɾkəˌnel ɕɨˈpalpət ˈɛpɐ ˈʃuːɾɨdət‿ˈeːnɨm ˌkeːɾənˈsaʊ̯n]
PST-pass_by-3PL through street-COL before time-long | behind 3PL.OBL DEF.ANIM=bull-red PST-run-3SG and PST-cover-3SG 3PL.POSS footstep.PL
They passed down all the roads long ago. And the Red Bull ran behind them, and covered their footsteps.

New word for this challenge:

cerensál [keːɾənˈsal] - footstep, footprint
Etymology: ceren "step" + sal "marking, imprinting"
Wipe the glass. This is the usual way to start, even in the days, day and night, only a happy one.
Reyzadren
greek
greek

Post by Reyzadren »

:con: griushkoent (without script here)

raeses coika vazh warki. zher, laekraeen curka raeses un eshzida hodprijend.
/'resəs 'tʃɔika vaʒ 'warki. ʒər, 'lekreən 'tʃurka 'resəs un 'əʃzida 'hɔdpridʒənd/
3PL road-V attribution old-A. then, vigour-N-PASS chase-V 3PL and reverse-got-V step-mark-N-PASS-T3
Last edited by Reyzadren on 07 Sep 2023 03:12, edited 1 time in total.
Image conlang summary | Image griushkoent thread
lsd
greek
greek

Post by lsd »

|ÃT¿csÁTÁÄTÁ¿|zÁÐøÆ|Á|¿※Á¿tƖԃÌ
(men traversing in the past all the roads traveled by man named red animal with head bearing two columns of horn...)
prettydragoon
sinic
sinic

Post by prettydragoon »

:con: Rireinutire

he piñapa ero ñeki kerimu mikive: ita [Tarohaña] heno puho kimakiri heno yarapuhamu ñasukive:
/he ˈpiŋɑpɑ ˈeɹo ˈŋeki ˈkeɹimu ˈmikive || ˈitɑ ˈtɑɹoˌhɑŋɑ ˈheno ˈpuho ˈkimɑˌkiɹi ˈheno ˈjɑɹɑˌpuhɑmu ˈŋɑsukive/
he piñapa ero ñeki keri-mu mi-ki-ve || ita Taro-haña he-no puho kima-kiri he-no yara-puha-mu ñasu-ki-ve ||
3P.R.NOM long.ADV ago each road-ACC journey-PST-HSY || and.then Red-bull.NOM 3P.R-GEN behind run-GER 3P.R-GEN foot-print-ACC cover-PST-HSY ||

They passed down all the roads long ago. And the Red Bull ran behind them, and covered their footsteps.

Translation challenge 39/100
♀♥♀
What is this, how you say, Rireinutire?