Gigxkpoyan Languages: CHÍFJAEŚÍ RETLA TLAPTHUV DÄLDLEN CJUŚËKNJU ṢATT

Other langs: Søsøzatli Kamëzet
Arayaz
roman
roman

Re: CBB Audio Relay I (Sign ups)

Post by Arayaz »

Received!

Is Suave a descendant of Portuguese/Galician?
Proud member of the myopic-trans-southerner-Viossa-girl-with-two-cats-who-joined-on-September-6th-2022 gang

:con: 2c2ef0 Areyaxi family Arskiilz Kahóra Hóubenk
my garbage Ɛĭ3

she/her
loglorn
mayan
mayan

Post by loglorn »

Üdj wrote: 12 Sep 2023 23:19 Received!

Is Suave a descendant of Portuguese/Galician?
It's a West Germanic language put through portuguese sound chamges. PoD is the Suebi Kingdom in Galicia didn't die out.
Diachronic Conlanging is the path to happiness, given time. [;)]

Arayaz
roman
roman

Post by Arayaz »

This is taking a lot longer than I expected, sorry! Just a notification to confirm that I am working on it.
Proud member of the myopic-trans-southerner-Viossa-girl-with-two-cats-who-joined-on-September-6th-2022 gang

my garbage Ɛĭ3

she/her
Arayaz
roman
roman

Post by Arayaz »

Question: should I try to make it make sense at all?

my garbage Ɛĭ3

she/her
kiwikami
roman
roman
Location: Oh, I don't know, I'm probably around here somewhere.

Post by kiwikami »

Üdj wrote: 18 Sep 2023 23:08 Question: should I try to make it make sense at all?
I am delighted that we're already at a point in this relay where this is in question.

I think the general idea is to make it make grammatical sense, not necessarily semantic sense, but to aim for the latter where possible? The text relays run into that issue with idioms, mostly.
Edit: Substituted a string instrument for a French interjection.

:eng: :mrgreen: | :fra: [:)] | ASL [:S] | :deu: [:|] | :tan: [:(] | :nav: [:'(]
Arayaz
roman
roman

Post by Arayaz »

kiwikami wrote: 18 Sep 2023 23:51
Üdj wrote: 18 Sep 2023 23:08 Question: should I try to make it make sense at all?
I am delighted that we're already at a point in this relay where this is in question.
[+1]
kiwikami wrote: 18 Sep 2023 23:51 I think the general idea is to make it make grammatical sense, not necessarily semantic sense, but to aim for the latter where possible? The text relays run into that issue with idioms, mostly.
All right, thanks!

And I want to point out that got off easy because I speak some Portuguese, which has *basically* the same phonemic inventory & allophony as Suave. The idea of an audio relay was devious!

my garbage Ɛĭ3

she/her
loglorn
mayan
mayan

Post by loglorn »

Üdj wrote: 19 Sep 2023 00:13 And I want to point out that got off easy because I speak some Portuguese, which has *basically* the same phonemic inventory & allophony as Suave. The idea of an audio relay was devious!
Oh you lucky bastard, i got a bunch of tones and whatnot

VaptuantaDoi
roman
roman

Post by VaptuantaDoi »

FYI I'll be using Gkǀx’åƛa, a Click language, rather than the proto-lang (not that that will change anything).
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

Üdj wrote: 17 Sep 2023 01:05 This is taking a lot longer than I expected, sorry! Just a notification to confirm that I am working on it.
Hey Üdj, it’s been a week since the torch was passed, and I just wanted to check in on what the timeline for finishing your segment would be! As a reminder, you still have another week in the worst case scenario. Good luck!
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

Minicity has fallen :(
The SqwedgePad
Arayaz
roman
roman

Post by Arayaz »

qwed117 wrote: 21 Sep 2023 05:13
Üdj wrote: 17 Sep 2023 01:05 This is taking a lot longer than I expected, sorry! Just a notification to confirm that I am working on it.
Hey Üdj, it’s been a week since the torch was passed, and I just wanted to check in on what the timeline for finishing your segment would be! As a reminder, you still have another week in the worst case scenario. Good luck!
I don't think it will take me much longer. Should be able to pass the torch within the next few days.

my garbage Ɛĭ3

she/her
Arayaz
roman
roman

Post by Arayaz »

One final question: if there is a sentence that looks like it would be an idiom/saying, should I translate it literally?

Oh, and this is officially the last time I will use Laakitlantu 1.0 for anything, continuing the tradition of all of my relay languages being scrapped / redone.

my garbage Ɛĭ3

she/her
DzêtaRedfang
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by DzêtaRedfang »

Would I still be able to sign up? Preference would be for going near the end here, so as to avoid as much potential conflict with the preparations for my older sister's wedding on October 14th as possible. If the answer is yes, I would like to join with Atruozan as per the usual (it's finally an excuse to flex my prosody work)

I literally just got home from my bushwork after midnight Thursday and finished unpacking yesterday lmao
Your friendly neighbourhood french-canadian penguin
Mándinrùh
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Mándinrùh »

Would I still be able to sign up? Preference would be for going near the end here, so as to avoid as much potential conflict with the preparations for my older sister's wedding on October 14th as possible. If the answer is yes, I would like to join with Atruozan as per the usual (it's finally an excuse to flex my prosody work)
I vote yes. I should be delighted to hear Atruozan. I translated from Atruozan in the XIV CBB relay and was absolutely flabbergasted by the romanization. Not that I suppose I will find the romanization of Gkǀx’åƛa any more obvious.
Creator of Image Atili
My website | My blog
qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

DzêtaRedfang wrote: 23 Sep 2023 18:46 Would I still be able to sign up? Preference would be for going near the end here, so as to avoid as much potential conflict with the preparations for my older sister's wedding on October 14th as possible. If the answer is yes, I would like to join with Atruozan as per the usual (it's finally an excuse to flex my prosody work)

I literally just got home from my bushwork after midnight Thursday and finished unpacking yesterday lmao
I have accursedly added you to the queue. You're last in line as of now, since I think that will come close to the end of October. I cannot wait to translate from Atruozan yet again
Spoiler:
My minicity is [http://zyphrazia.myminicity.com/xml]Zyphrazia and [http://novland.myminicity.com/xml]Novland.

The SqwedgePad
loglorn
mayan
mayan

Post by loglorn »

Üdj wrote: 22 Sep 2023 14:59 One final question: if there is a sentence that looks like it would be an idiom/saying, should I translate it literally?

Oh, and this is officially the last time I will use Laakitlantu 1.0 for anything, continuing the tradition of all of my relay languages being scrapped / redone.
You frankly can choose IMO. I think in the end both options are equally chaotic; if you choose to translate it figuratively you'll get something probably more sensical but more distant from the source material, if you translate literally you'll probably get something closer to the source material but often absolutely asemic, and thus much more prone to reinterpretation later.

So uh whichever you think vibes best here.

qwed117
mongolian
mongolian

Post by qwed117 »

Üdj wrote: 22 Sep 2023 14:59 One final question: if there is a sentence that looks like it would be an idiom/saying, should I translate it literally?

You should translate it in what you think is best way possible. The decision is wholly yours whether that is a literal translation or a metaphorical one.

Personally, if I recognize an idiom in the conlang given to me, I would translate it into the connotational meaning. If an idiom in my conlang would fit that connotation, then I would use the cultural idiom to follow. Eg. if I got a text in English and my conlang was Spanish I might do something like below.

"It rained cats and dogs yesterday" > it is raining heavily > Llovió a cántaros "It rained pitchers".

Usually there's a risk that what you think is a metaphor or idiom might actually just be meant literally, and what you think might be a literal statement might just be metaphorical. What happens is the chaos that makes relays fun!
Spoiler:

The SqwedgePad
VaptuantaDoi
roman
roman

Post by VaptuantaDoi »

Mándinrùh wrote: 23 Sep 2023 19:50 Not that I suppose I will find the romanization of Gkǀx’åƛa any more obvious.
Don't worry, Gkǀx’åƛa orthography is pretty close to IPA/Americanist notation; it's just /ɢ͡|͜χ’ɑt͡ɬa/
Arayaz
roman
roman

Post by Arayaz »

"it's just /ɢ͡|͜χ’ɑt͡ɬa/"

my garbage Ɛĭ3

she/her
Mándinrùh
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Mándinrùh »

VaptuantaDoi wrote: 24 Sep 2023 03:08 Don't worry, Gkǀx’åƛa orthography is pretty close to IPA/Americanist notation; it's just /ɢ͡|͜χ’ɑt͡ɬa/
Well, you're the one who has to pronounce it. I just need to figure out what on Earth you tried to pronounce.
Creator of Image Atili
My website | My blog