12 Word Cartographer – my process for drawing maps

A forum for guides, lessons and sharing of useful information.
gestaltist
mayan
mayan

12 Word Cartographer – my process for drawing maps

Post by gestaltist »

Hey fellow conlangers. Over the last months, I've been working on a process for map drawing that would be simple (my personal target was: a procedure that can be expressed in 12 words) but would still implement some basics of plate tectonics and create better maps than something completely random or fractal-based.

You can download it for free here if you want: https://gestaltist.itch.io/12-word-cartographer

Would love to hear some feedback. :)
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Re: 12 Word Cartographer – my process for drawing maps

Post by Creyeditor »

I really don't understand the purpose of this (and I would like to understand it before downloading anything). Is this just a twelve word sentence that defines the plate tectonics of your conworld?
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
Produce, Analyze, Manipulate
1 :deu: 2 :eng: 3 :idn: 4 :fra: 4 :esp:
:con: Ook & Omlűt & Nautli languages & Sperenjas
[<3] Papuan languages, Morphophonology, Lexical Semantics [<3]
gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Post by gestaltist »

Hey Crey. No, it’s a procedure for drawing your own maps. It’s inspired by tectonic processes but distilled into a couple simple steps
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

Sounds interesting. I'll take a look when I find the time. I was just thinking about Fredauon's plate tectonics last night.
Edit: Just had a first look and it looks promising. Have you thought about sharing it on the Carthographers' Guild?
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Post by gestaltist »

Creyeditor wrote: 05 Sep 2023 18:41 Sounds interesting. I'll take a look when I find the time. I was just thinking about Fredauon's plate tectonics last night.
Edit: Just had a first look and it looks promising. Have you thought about sharing it on the Carthographers' Guild?
Thanks for the kind words!

What is the Cartographers' Guild? Is it a forum?
Creyeditor
MVP
MVP

Post by Creyeditor »

Yes, a map-making forum, including some parts of conworlding [:)]
Creyeditor
"Thoughts are free."
gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Post by gestaltist »

Indeed thanks. I think I won't do it. People who join communities only to peddle their stuff always irk me, and that would be what I would be doing in that case. :)
sangi39

Post by sangi39 »

I'd agree with Crey's recommendation of going to the Cartographers' Guild. I've not posted there in a long while, but do lurk, and there's a fair few people there who are really into world-building as a ground up process, and seem happy to share resources where they can

I would say that if you have a concrete example of your process being applied, i.e. being used in the actual creation of a world, I'd take it there and present it as "I'm creating this world, and this is the process I'll be trying to use", and use it in a similar way to a "scratchpad" thread where you can go back and forth on your own work, have people look over it step by step over some period of time, etc.

That, at least to me, wouldn't be "peddling", really, and more like "showing off work" which is, at its core, the entire point of the Cartographers' Guild, and you'll likely get responses from people over there with much more experience in bottom-up world-building and map-making
You can tell the same lie a thousand times,
But it never gets any more true,
So close your eyes once more and once more believe
That they all still believe in you.
Just one time.
gestaltist
mayan
mayan

Post by gestaltist »

sangi39 wrote: 06 Sep 2023 16:07 I'd agree with Crey's recommendation of going to the Cartographers' Guild. I've not posted there in a long while, but do lurk, and there's a fair few people there who are really into world-building as a ground up process, and seem happy to share resources where they can

I would say that if you have a concrete example of your process being applied, i.e. being used in the actual creation of a world, I'd take it there and present it as "I'm creating this world, and this is the process I'll be trying to use", and use it in a similar way to a "scratchpad" thread where you can go back and forth on your own work, have people look over it step by step over some period of time, etc.

That, at least to me, wouldn't be "peddling", really, and more like "showing off work" which is, at its core, the entire point of the Cartographers' Guild, and you'll likely get responses from people over there with much more experience in bottom-up world-building and map-making
This is a good suggestion. I wasn't planning on creating a new setting but it may be a good idea to think of something.