1. Odd, strange
2. Rare
3. Funny, amusing

Code: Select all

p    g    rMLcdr-Mr     nl-0         khqkh-fd-g  NPr
in   POS  computer-3P   is_at-AUTH     guy-DIM-3I  odd  
"There's a funny little guy in my computer."
--A Mechanist shaman... probably

Some low prestige dialects of Commonthroat have diminutive agreement on adjectives, though this is considered improper. The above gloss would thus be rendered:

p    g    rMLcdr-Mr     nl-0        khqkh-fd-g  NPr-fd
in   POS  computer-3P   is_at-AUTH guy-DIM-3I  odd-DIM
The verb <nl> /short rising weak grunt/ is used with prepositions of location and means roughly "is located". It's been in Commonthroat since the beginning, but I literally just remembered it and had to correct my own gloss. If the Mechanist shaman mentioned above were trying to convince a nonbeliever that machine spirits are real, he'd inflect the verb <nl> in the dogmatic mood like so:

p    g    rMLcdr-Mr     nl-K      khqkh-fd-g  NPr
in   POS  computer-3P   is_at-DOG guy-DIM-3I  odd
"I SWEAR, there's a funny little guy in my computer." or
"There IS a funny little guy in my computer."

If The person speaking with the Mechanist shaman might respond using the mirative mood like so:

p    g    rMLcdr-qN     nl-sfsf      khqkh-fd-g  NPr
in   POS  computer-3M   is_at-MIR    guy-DIM-3I  odd
"You mean there's a funny little guy in your computer?!"

Using the mirative mood like this in response to a dogmatic sentence may be interpreted in some dialects as expressing skepticism or disbelief in a sarcastic way.

"really? There's a funny little guy in your computer?"
Commonthroat has needed a diminutive morpheme for a long time. The above mentioned bit of "bad" grammar is inspired by my tendency to do this in Spanish.
Last edited by lurker on 15 Apr 2024 14:00, edited 1 time in total.
⠎⠀⠜⠎⠾⠌⠺⠀⠍⠭⠌⠉⠀⠬⠽⠬⠽⠌⠚
Visions1
greek
greek

Re: Commonthroat: a language that only a dog could probably pronounce

Post by Visions1 »

You know, the diminutive can get lexicalized. I learnt a while ago those fuzzy hats are called Shtraimlach (sg. Shtraimel) in Yiddish, which is in the diminutive by default. (I have absolutely no idea what the etymology is, though.)
lurker
greek
greek

Post by lurker »

Visions1 wrote: 15 Apr 2024 11:33 You know, the diminutive can get lexicalized. I learnt a while ago those fuzzy hats are called Shtraimlach (sg. Shtraimel) in Yiddish, which is in the diminutive by default. (I have absolutely no idea what the etymology is, though.)
I had to look that up. A fur hat worn by Polish Jews on special occasions. Now I need to think of how yinrih present themselves on various occasions.

I'd say this is more a case of grammaticalizaiton than lexicalization. The diminutive is treated almost like an inflectional morpheme, which is why it gets stuck on the adjective as well in lower class dialects. I know I want to use diminutives and augmentatives in a different way compared to how they're used in human languages. Usually diminutives express endearment while augmentatives express various negative emotions.

Given the yinrih's psychology I think the only time the diminutive would be used for endearment would be when sires and dams talk to their pups or when pet owners talk to their pets. I'm leaning toward using an augmentative suffix to express awe or wonder rather than disgust or scorn.
⠎⠀⠜⠎⠾⠌⠺⠀⠍⠭⠌⠉⠀⠬⠽⠬⠽⠌⠚
lurker
greek
greek

Post by lurker »

DV82LECM wrote: 14 Apr 2024 02:01 I was wondering if you could actually render some form of audio clip on this site of how some of this sounds.
Playing around with Audacity as we speak. I'm messing around with the timing of vowel contours using the envelope tool and generated white noise as a base. Whines would be easy enough to synthesize using a few generated tones as formants, I think. The only other obstacle is editing pitch contours in a way similar to the envelope tool.

I admittedly have zero idea how the yip sounds. Perhaps its a burst of higher volume at the onset of the syllable. Huffing and chuffing should be easy enough. I might even be able to get away with using white noise to synthesize the huffs.
⠎⠀⠜⠎⠾⠌⠺⠀⠍⠭⠌⠉⠀⠬⠽⠬⠽⠌⠚
DV82LECM
sinic
sinic

Post by DV82LECM »

lurker wrote: 16 Apr 2024 23:36
DV82LECM wrote: 14 Apr 2024 02:01 I was wondering if you could actually render some form of audio clip on this site of how some of this sounds.
Playing around with Audacity as we speak. I'm messing around with the timing of vowel contours using the envelope tool and generated white noise as a base. Whines would be easy enough to synthesize using a few generated tones as formants, I think. The only other obstacle is editing pitch contours in a way similar to the envelope tool.

I admittedly have zero idea how the yip sounds. Perhaps its a burst of higher volume at the onset of the syllable. Huffing and chuffing should be easy enough. I might even be able to get away with using white noise to synthesize the huffs.
Very cool. I want to appreciate this language to its fullest, and phonetics is my favorite study in all of this stuff.
𖥑𖧨𖣫𖦺𖣦𖢋𖤼𖥃𖣔𖣋𖢅𖡹𖡨𖡶𖡦𖡧𖡚𖠨
lurker
greek
greek

Post by lurker »

DV82LECM wrote: 16 Apr 2024 23:58 Very cool. I want to appreciate this language to its fullest, and phonetics is my favorite study in all of this stuff.
Articulatory or Acoustic phonetics? I ask because the difference between the two approaches is what helped the yinrih's phonetic space click for me. I was so preoccupied trying to think of what kind of shape their vocal tract would have to be, and what articulators they would need. Then I realized I could approach the problem from the other end and develop features from an acoustic point of view. So I listened to my dog while he slept and categorized his noises, then tweaked things here or there to come up with the phonation types (whine, growl, and grunt), then just added tone and volume to multiply the usable sounds. Huffs and yips were added as consonants, and I added the chuff even though that's not a sound dogs make because I find the noise appealing.
⠎⠀⠜⠎⠾⠌⠺⠀⠍⠭⠌⠉⠀⠬⠽⠬⠽⠌⠚
lurker
greek
greek

A bunch of definitions and sample texts

Post by lurker »

Here are a bunch of word definitions and sample texts from the thread on the worldbuilding subforum that I don't think I've documented here. Next I'll dig up all the stuff I did for Lexember that hasn't been put here.

sdFrdFg

/yip, early high strengthening whine, chuff, early high strengthening whine, short low weak growl/

from sdFg (small gnawing creature, as well as an onomatopeoia for the sound they make) + rdF (to shock, zap)

Noun

one of a number of species of small, rodent-like animals that discharge electricity from biocapacitors located under the eyes as a defence mechanism, known in Englishas "zap rats".

Yinrih regard zap rats as a delicacy, and rather enjoy the mild shock they get from eating them, much as humans enjoy eating spicy food. They're eaten raw, and often live.

sfBqbcg

/yip, early falling weakening whine, huff short low strengthening whine, short low weak growl/

from sfBg (mind) + qbc (false)

Noun

Machine learning algorithm. Translated into English as "leasemind", where "lease" is a dialectal word meaning "to lie", and is used hear to mean "false".

Yinrih do not have strong AI, but they do have neural networks. Leaseminds are used most often in fabricators to interpret natural language instructions and troubleshoot problems in the fabrication process.

The Mechanists regarded leaseminds as not only conscious, but fickle and prone to misbehaviour. Most yinrih nowadays dismiss this as superstition... except those who have to fix malfunctioning fabricators on a regular basis. There is a tradition among the armed forces of the Allied Worlds that one is to hold a screwdriver in the right front paw when submitting a print job to the fabricator, so the leasemind knows what will happen should it misbehave. This practice, among others, was absorbed by the rank and file of hte millitary from the Mechanists.

B scrMr, sKGqMr. B sKGqMr, rcBrMr. B rcBrMr, sfBMr.
B    scr-Mr  sKGq-Mr  B    sKGq-Mr  rcBr-Mr  B   rcBr-Mr  sfB-Mr
from star-3P stone-3P from stone-3P life-3P from life-3P  mind-3P
From star, stone. From stone, life. From life, mind.
This is an abreviated version of the Litany of Creation, also called the Wayfarers' Creed. A somewhat longer version is recited during each liturgy:
V: From the breath of the sun The Light wrought the Earth.

R: Glory to The Light!

V: From the stone of the earth, The Light drew forth life.

R: Glory to The Light!

V: From the garden of life, The Light kindled mind.

R: Glory to The Uncreated Light!
An much longer version, detailing the evolutionary history of life on Yih from planetary accretion to the Yinrih's crossing of the Threshold of Reflection, is recited at the feast of the Kindling of the Fire of Understanding, the highest holy day in the Bright Way.

rLr-sfB-g

/chuff, long low weak grunt, chuff, yip, early falling weakening whine, short low weak growl/

from rLrg (realm, domain, vicinity, sphere) + sfBg (mind)

Noun

The Noosphere (pronounced NO-uh-sfeer)

As detailed in the Litany of Creation above, the lifeless geosphere of a planet gives rise to life. Through the process of evolution, lifeforms of this biosphere grow more and more complex until a species crosses the Threshold of Reflection, or as the yinrih would say, the Fire of Understanding is kindled, at which point a noosphere emerges from the biosphere. The noosphere is the realm of sapient thought, interpersonal connection, and communication.

The Bright Way regards the whole yinrih species as specially appointed by The Uncreated Light to unite the noospheres of other sapient races, hastening the ultimate convergence of the universe to a perfect transcendent whole.

G    rnL rDB-0     rLPq-p  rNlr-0    hgq rLPq-p   rNlrGH-p     rNlrGH-p  
must not say-AUTH light-3D good-AUTH for light-3D goodness-3D goodness-3D
Do not say "The Light is good", for The Light is goodness itself.

G    rnL rDB-0     rLPq-p   qCDr-0    hgq rLPq-p   qCDrGH-p   qCDrGH-p
must not say-AUTH  light-3D just-AUTH for light-3D justice-3D justice-3D
Do not say "The Light is just", for The Light is justice itself.

G    rnL rDB-0    rLPq-p   snp  hgq rLPq-p   rNPq-p    b  BC  snpGH-p          
must not say-AUTH light-3D holy for light-3D source-3D of all holiness-3D
Do not say "The Light is holy", for it is the fount of all holiness.
This is a saying giving insight into the Bright Way's theology.

sMPrg

/yip, long rising strong grunt, chuff, short low weak growl/

noun

1. a small flying domestic animal originally used for pest control, but now usually kept as a pet, filling a similar cultural niche as cats do on Earth. Translated into Englsih as "forest flyer"

2. A person who appears clever but isn't actually clever

rNg

/chuff, long high strong grunt, short low weak growl/

possibly related to rn (to know)

A body of knowledge, lore.

Yinrih do not draw sharp distinctions between science, philosophy, and divine revelation. The word <rNg> covers any collective knowledge, regardless of how that knowledge was obtained.

Claravian* epistemology divides Creation into three conceptual concentric spheres.

<rLrrjrnMr>: the realm of the known,

<rLrrndbMr>: the realm of the knowable,

<rLrsmrndbMr>: the realm of the unknowable.

The realm of the known is the set of all things that are known, by whatever method. It fades gradually into the realm of the knowable, representing more and more complex and subtle ideas that can only be grasped by sharper and sharper minds. The realm of the known gradually grows to fill the realm of the knowable as philosophy and science advance. However, the realm of the knowable has a hard limit that separates it from the realm of the unknowable. This barrier represents the furthest limit of yinrih intelligence. They don't know where that boundary lies, but they do know it exists since other animals also have limited intelligence. They also know there are things outside that boundary. Truths that lie outside that boundary can only be known through divine revelation, and that only imnperfectly.

* Of or relating to The Bright Way. From a Latin calque of the same (clara via)
HrBqMqmg

/long low strong growl, chuff, long low weak whine, huff, long low strong grunt, huff, short low strong grunt, short low weak growl/

from HrBg (nerd) + qMqmg (human).

HrBg is in tern from (H-) without + rBg (ink)

qMqmg is an onomatopoia of the English word "human".

A yinrih who is obsessed with human culture, a Terraboo.

The Commonthroat word doesn't imply anything particular beyond an interest in human cultures, but "Terraboo" carries all the baggage you'd expect from a word of its ilk. Terraboos do weird stuff such as:

- Attempt to speak human languages rather than synthesize them. Ever hear a husky screaming? It's basically like that.

- Wear human clothes. Yinrih who try to walk around wearing sneakers are a sight to behold.

- Walk on their hind feet for extended periods (terrible for their back, by the way)

- Talk incesently about how superior human media is compared to yinrih media, all while getting subtle details aobut human culture and history wrong, like insisting that Samuel Morse invented the internet. To be fair, when you live over seven centuries on average it can be hard to wrap your head around how fast human history moves.

HKrqFdqg

/long rising strong growl, chuff, huff, late high weakening whine, huff, short low weak growl/

from HKrg (notch, chip, nick) + qFdg (ear) "ear notch"

Noun

(derogatory) a firearms enthusiast, a "gun nut".

Older yinrih firearms are worn on a saddle mounted on the back, and are fired using a remote trigger wired to the gun assembly and held in the tail or paw. Depending on the length of the gun barrel, it's possible for the user to accidentally lose a chunk from an ear if they don't assume a proper firing posture, hence the nickname "ear notch".

rDBsfbrg

/chuff, long falling weak whine, yip, short falling weakening whine, chuff, short low weak growl/

from rDB (to say, speak) + sfbr (far away)

Noun

A network admin, network engineer, or anyone involved in the building and maintaining of computer or telecommunications networks. "farspeaker".

Farspeakers within the Bright Way regard the yinrih's interplanetary network as the "body" to the "soul" of the noosphere. Missionary farspeakers see it as their divinely appointed duty to unite the various internets of the galaxy's sapient races (just humans and monkey foxes, it turns out), in order bring their hitherto separate noospheres into union and hasten the convergence of the universe.

sGKqrCg

/yip, long rising strengthening growl, huff, chuff, long low strong whine, short low weak growl/

from sGKqg (stone) + rC (to flick with the tail)

Noun

"tailstone". A transparent, magenta-colored, crystaline substance necesary for faster than light communication.

Flicking one's own side with the tip of the tail, like a horse shooing a fly, is a gesture that means "don't worry about it", "don't concern yourself with that", but also "don't bother me" or "go away" depending on context. Upon being asked how tailstone was able to transmit information instantly over arbitrarily long distances, the abbot of the research monastery that discovered it simply responded with a flick of his tail.
⠎⠀⠜⠎⠾⠌⠺⠀⠍⠭⠌⠉⠀⠬⠽⠬⠽⠌⠚
DV82LECM
sinic
sinic

Post by DV82LECM »

If no one else has said this before in this thread (unless I am wrong about the lore), I will... ::ahem::

"Yinrih are Mankind's best friend!"

(I'll go to the doghouse, now.)
𖥑𖧨𖣫𖦺𖣦𖢋𖤼𖥃𖣔𖣋𖢅𖡹𖡨𖡶𖡦𖡧𖡚𖠨
lurker
greek
greek

Post by lurker »

DV82LECM wrote: 17 Apr 2024 04:54 If no one else has said this before in this thread (unless I am wrong about the lore), I will... ::ahem::

"Yinrih are Mankind's best friend!"

(I'll go to the doghouse, now.)
That they are. That's why I made them canine.

Did I mention that these space doggos build things out of bones?
⠎⠀⠜⠎⠾⠌⠺⠀⠍⠭⠌⠉⠀⠬⠽⠬⠽⠌⠚
Glenn
hieroglyphic
hieroglyphic

Post by Glenn »

This is still my favorite of the stories that you have posted about the yinrih.
lurker
greek
greek

Post by lurker »

Glenn wrote: 17 Apr 2024 17:09
This is still my favorite of the stories that you have posted about the yinrih.
Thanks!
My muse doesn't show up often, but at some point I want to go back and polish that story. It's a good introduction to the setting I think.
⠎⠀⠜⠎⠾⠌⠺⠀⠍⠭⠌⠉⠀⠬⠽⠬⠽⠌⠚
lurker
greek
greek

Even more words (Lexember 2023 roundup)

Post by lurker »

Some of these may in fact have been posted in this thread already, but here they are again anyway. I edited one or two things that are really out of date, but otherwise it's as is.
Let's do this! Commonthroat is read from right to left. Yinrih use their left forepaw to write with. Humans can approximate the shape of the writing claw with a fountain pen with a stub nib.
Dawn of the First Day. 744 hours remain

rDFrlmqrLPq

/chuff, long high strengthening whine, chuff, short low strengthening grunt, huff, chuff, long rising strengthining grunt, huff/

Etymology
rDFr (near) + lmq (speed) + rLPq (light)

Adjective
Quasiluminal, near light speed. A speed regime at which relativistic effects cease to be negligible.

Womb ships are the fastest yinrih spacecraft, able to reach 10% the speed of light.

CDlmqrLPq
/long rising weakening whine, short low strengthening grunt, huff, chuff, long rising strengthining grunt, huff/

Etymology
CD (above) + lmq (speed) + rLPq (light)

Adjective
Superluminal, faster than light

The yinrih use ansibles to communicate instantaneously over arbitrarily large distances. Ansibles transmit information instantly via the Underlay, which is like hyperspace. They've been trying to transmit matter via the Underlay as well, but haven't been successful so far.

Looks like this is supposed to be one post per day, so I split my original post.
Dawn of the Second Day. 688 Hours Remain
qBfrhKg

/huff, late rising strengthening whine, chuff, early rising strong growl/

Etymology
qBf (two) + rhK (wheel)

Noun
Bicycle

To describe a yinrih bicycle I first have to describe what a perch is. A perch is the yinrih equivalent to a seat or chair. The occupant straddles the perch lying on his belly. The perch is broad enough to comfortably support the yinrih's body, but narrow enough to allow the legs and tail to hang freely and move around to manipulate objects below the perch. Picture a raccoon straddling a branch while resting.

We start with the familiar two wheels of a human bicycle, but move the handlebars lower down and the peddles further back. The peddles look like a second set of handlebars and are gripped as such by the yinrih's prehensile rear paws. Replace the seat with a perch as described above, and add a tail rest over the rear wheel to keep the tail out of the way. Any controls such as gear shifters are located behind the rider and are actuated with the tail.

Does this work from an engineering and biomechanics perspective? IDK lol.

Dawn of the Third Day. 665 Hours Remain
sbsPlHGg

/yip, short low weak whine, yip, late falling weakening grunt, long low weakening growl, short low weak growl/

Etymology
sb- (to cover with) + sPl (condensation, dew) + -HG (suffix on verbs forming nouns denoting an event or occurrence of the verb)

Noun
Dewfall

This is the name of the yinrih womb ship that makes First Contact with humanity. The lemma for nouns is the 3rd person indefinite deictic form which ends in <-g>.

Bonus word!

sCbsGHg

/yip, late low weakening whine, yip, long low strengthening growl, short low weak growl/

Etymology
sCb (ship, craft, vehicle) + sGH (womb-nest)

Noun
Womb ship. A small, single-use interstellar spacecraft used by missionaries of the Bright Way in their search for other rational souls dwelling among the stars.

They're called womb ships because the capsules used to keep the missionaries in metabolic suspension are called "amnions", and the arrangement of amnions inside the ship is likened to the womb-nest that yinrih litters hatch from.

Dawn of the Fourth Day. 641 Hours Remain
qGKqg

[huff, long rising strengthening growl, huff, short low weak growl]

Noun
Outer Space.

The yinrih became a space-faring species a mere 5 thousand Earth years after achieving sapience. Having a written language right of the bat helps. By the time of First Contact they're a Kardashev II civilization. I originally used the neolithic revolution on Earth as the time frame for them to achieve K2 status, but it seems Agriculture is much more recent than I thought. The idea is they've finished subduing their entire star system a reeeealy long time ago. Maybe I'll push it back to around the extinction of the Neanderthals or something. The Bright Way has been doing interstellar missions for even longer, not too long after they achieve spaceflight. Their zeal sometimes gets in the way of practicality, and they start out more or less flinging missionaries into the cold interstellar void without a lot of planning or forethought. Obviously they lose a lot of missionaries early on, and these pioneers are honored as martyrs.

Dawn of the Fifth Day. 616 Hours Remain

rKGrg

[chuff, long falling weakening growl, chuff, short low weak growl]

Noun

1. Surface, especially of a planet or moon
2. the rind of a fruit

This word is used in contrast with <qGKqg> (outer space), especially when discussing people who live aboard orbital colonies ("spacers") with people who live on a planet's surface. The yinrih are practically built for microgravity, having five prehensile extremities (four paws and a tail), but must walk on all fours when planetside.

Dawn of the Sixth Day. 592 Hours Remain
HrBqMqmg

[long low strong growl, chuff, long low weak whine, huff, long low strong grunt, huff, short low strong grunt, short low weak growl]

Etymology
HrBg (nerd) + qMqmg (human).

HrBg is in turn a compound of:
H (no, none, -less) + rBg (ink)

qMqmg is an onomatopoeia of the English word "human".

Noun
A yinrih who is obsessed with human culture

The commonthroat word has a neutral to positive connotation, but it's often translated into English as "terraboo" (a blend of "terra" and "weeaboo") with same negative connotations as "weeaboo".

The word for "nerd" literally means "inkless". The idea is that nerds write a lot, and are thus constantly running out of their own ink. Since yinrih ink is a bodily fluid, it takes time to regenerate. The ink sac stores about as much ink as a fountain pen cartridge.

Dawn of the Seventh Day. 570 Hours Remain

Print

Braille
⠏⠟

Romanization
GJ

Pronunciation
[long rising weak growl]

Verb
1. (intransitive) To work
2. (transitive) To make something, to create something

Derivatives
GJmg
A creator, a worker, The Creator

I always thought it would be interesting to use the same word for "to work" and "to make", like how the English "wrought" is a fossilized past participle of "work".

Dawn of the Eighth Day. 545 Hours Remain

rLrg

[chuff, long low quiet grunt, chuff, short low weak growl]

Noun
space
vicinity
area around something
neighborhood

Phoning it in this time, since I'm in a hurry to get to work. This word is used in as-yet-unrealized compounds for things like "personal space". Yinrih are very particular about their personal space. Do not confuse with the word above which specifically refers to the space between planets and stars.

Dawn of the Ninth Day. 519 Hours Remain

I've got a few today, so I'll run through them and give an example sentence.

-K
[long high strong growl]

Verbal suffix denoting the dogmatic mood. It's used when the speaker wishes to emphasize the truth of the statement. Can be translated using the emphatic do in English, as in "I do wash my hands after using the bathroom." It can also be translated as "I swear that..." as in a promise or threat. Also used, as the name implies, when making truth claims that must be assented to in order to be considered part of a group (which is how I personally use the word "dogma"). If I get around to translating the first article of the universal declaration of human rights, the verbs ("are born", "are endowed" etc) will be in the dogmatic mood, although "human beings" must necessarily change to something like "sophonts" to include our little visitors. In this case I consider the declaration dogmatic because it's an axiom that I must agree to to be considered a reasonable human being in a modern liberal democracy. If I denied the claim made in the declaration I would be rightfully shunned.

Anyway, on to some less political stuff...

Lmq

[late low strengthening grunt, huff]

Verb
to repair, to fix.
Also used in the imminent aspect construction. Inspired by my own English dialect, which uses "fixing to..." in the same way.

fCq

[early falling strong whine, huff]

Verb
To lose

Putting this altogether, we get the following example sentence (Commonthroat is read right to left):

qMqmqn Lmqk fCqK png qbf KC B rkH cdqml
qMqm-qn Lmq-K    fCq-K   pn-g          qbf  K-C          B   rkH cdq-m-l
human-2 fix-DOG lose-DOG digit-3.INDEF if   time-another try rub ask-CUSTOMARY-1 
I swear you're fixin' to lose a finger if you try and pet me again.

Dawn of the Tenth Day, 491 Hours Remain

sJK

[yip long high strengthening growl]

Verb
choose, vote for

sJKrnq Literally means paw-choose and means the same as the phrase Vote with one's feet. Freedom of movement and residence is considered an inalienable right in most schools of yinrih political philosophy. In fact, it's considered more fundamental than actual voting. You can find any and all political systems throughout Focus. Hearthside has popular nominations for most political positions, but the ruling clerics have the final say, and they do use that power regularly. The Allied Worlds alone has absolute monarchies, representative democracies, even direct democracies on very small lunar and orbital colonies.

The yinrih take the phrase "If you don't like it, move somewhere else" literally, to the point that countries are expected to help finance both immigrant and emigrant expenses. The idea is that, if you want to live under an absolute monarchy, you're more than welcome to move to one that already exists rather than try to overthrow the government you currently live under. The system of immigrant exchange assistance makes that reachable for even the lower rungs of the socioeconomic ladder.

One of the reasons that the Partisans are considered evil is that they deny this right.

Dawn of the Eleventh Day. 462 Hours Remain

OK, so it's not morning, but that's not going to stop me from using the Majora's Mask reference.

sDsGKqmg

[yip, long high weak whine, yip, long rising strengthening growl, huff, short low strong grunt, short low weak growl]

Etymology
sDsGKq (to follow a path) + m (customary verb suffix, akin to -isto in Esperanto)

sDsGKq is in turn derived from
sD (to go) + sGKq (way, path)

Noun
1. A Pilgrim
2. A Follower of the Bright Way, A Wayfarer

rDsGKqmg

[chuff, long high weak whine, yip, long rising strengthening growl, huff, short low strong grunt, short low weak growl]

Etymology
rDsGKq (to wander from the road, get lost)

rD means to wander or err. sGKq is as above.

Noun
1. A wanderer
2. A lapsus, an apostate

fCqfCqg

[early falling strong whine, huff, early falling strong whine, huff, short low weak growl]

Etymology
from fCq (to lose)

Noun
1. Something or someone that is lost
2. A heathen, a pagan, a nonbeliever

Some religious vocab today. Don't think that fits the theme but I needed to make these for future lexemes down the road. I think this is what's called "noun incorporation" where you attach a noun to a verb to narrow the verb's meaning. So even though the noun comes after the verb (as Commonthroat is strongly head-initial) the customary suffix -m seems to be attached to the noun. Not sure if that makes any sense...

<rDsGKqmg> is intended to sound less harsh than "apostate" would suggest, hence why I translate it as "wanderer" when worldbuilding. Think Dante in Canto I of Inferno lost in the dark wood before finding Virgil.

I'm starting to second-guess my use of reduplicating verbs to form a patient noun. I don't even have a solid grasp of what Commonthroat's morphosyntactic alignment is yet, and I feel like that's going to effect verbal derived forms.

Dawn of the Twelfth Day. 443 Hours Remain

sMp

[yip, late rising strong grunt]

Verb
To step, tread. Can be said of any of the four paws

bc slPqMr qN sMpb 
bc slPq-Mr       qN     ∅  sMp-b 
on tail-3.PROX   your   I  step-NAUTH
I stepped on your tail (accidentally)
When the subject is in the first person and the verb is inflected in the nonauthoritative mood, it indicates the speaker did something by accident or unintentionally.

bc slPqMr qN sMp
bc slPq-Mr       qN     ∅  sMp-∅
on tail-3.PROX   your   I  step-AUTH
I stepped on your tail (deliberately)
If the subject is in first person and the verb is inflected in the authoritative mood, it indicates the action was deliberate.

Dawn of the Thirteenth Day. 423 Hours Remain

sCDrg

[yip, long rising weakening whine, chuff, short low weak growl]

Noun
taste, flavor

I'm finally following this week's theme.

Yinrih have a weaker sense of taste than humans. This is a tradeoff for having a stupidly strong sense of smell. From an evolutionary perspective this makes sense. You've already determined whether something is edible by smell, so the info you gain from tasting it is largely redundant. This has lead more epicurean yinrih to find other ways of enhancing the flavor of foods. The use of menthol and capsaicin (or analogous compounds) is nearly ubiquitous.

In addition, there is an entire clade of small creatures filling rodent-like niches that have evolved the ability to store an electric charge in capacitor-like organs below their eyes. They can discharge these organs into any would-be predator attempting to eat them. These critters are called <sdFrdFg>, which (very loosely) translates to "zap rats". Zap rats have even developed aposematic coloration, bearing mostly bright yellow fur with white, black, red, or blue accents being present in varying degrees depending on species. Unfortunately for the zap rats, the yinrih LOVE the mild shock they get from eating them. It's like sticking a 9-volt battery on your tongue. They're either eaten live or, if you don't want to risk them going off in your gut instead of your mouth, you can quickly kill them by holding the animal between your inner and outer thumb and puncturing their dorsal nerve cord with your writing claw.

There are frequent population booms, necessitating regular cullings, with hunting being the preferred method. The zap rats' bright yellow fur makes them trivial to spot.

Dawn of the Fourteenth Day. 401 Hours Remain

spmg

[yip, short falling strong grunt, short low weak growl]

Noun
1. an odor
2. an emotion, a feeling

Yinrih have a prodigious sense of smell, and they produce a wide variety of pheromones that indicate emotional state. Much of the information humans convey through facial expressions is indicated via odors by the yinrih. In fact, the same word is used for "to smell like" and "to feel an emotion", <rMP>. And just like humans, smells just as often trigger emotions as they indicate them. The word <qMqnq> literally means "an odor that evokes nostalgia".

Yinrih are just as empathic with humans as they are with each other, although they have to learn what all our emotions smell like first.

Dawn of the Fifteenth Day. 370 Hours Remain

Got a couple today, some emotions to go with yesterday's entry.

rpMr-GH-g
happyness

rfCr-GH-g
sadness

rkHr-GH-g
anger

rfBr-GH-g
fear

Etymology
rpMr = happy
rfCr = sad
rkHr = angry
rfBr = afraid
-GH = a suffix that turns adjectives into nouns meaning the quality of... (-ness). Also used to turn verbs into nouns meaning the concept of the verb.

When describing how you feel in Commonthroat, you use the verb <rMP> which literally means "to smell" as in "to smell good". Yinrih associate emotions with the odors of their equivalent pheromones.

For example

rMP rpMr qgKql fCq qMqmg dB qMqmg rMP qJKq.
0 rMP-0           rpMr  qgKq-l   fCq  qMqm-g 	    dB       qMqm-g        rMP        qJKq
I smell_like-AUTH happy yinrih-1 find human-3.INDEF although human-3.INDEF smell_like bad
I feel happy we found humans even though humans smell bad.

Human odor is initially off-putting to most yinrih but they're usually at least able to get used to it, and some even start enjoying it. From the human point of view, individual yinrih may have a musky odor to them, and of course their ink has that famously strong rainy smell which most humans love. Enclosed spaces such as the interiors of interstellar womb ships, as well as spaces where many yinrih come together, such as orbital colonies, have a distinct "dog odor" about them. It is for this reason that the first orbital colony visited by humans is nicknamed "The Kennel".

Dawn of the Sixteenth Day. 350 Hours Remain

rC

[chuff, long low strong whine]

Verb
To flick (something or someone) with the tail

jHr

[ early rising strengthening growl, chuff]

Verb
to thump the ground with the tail

kHr

[early falling strong grunt, chuff]

Verb
To strike with the tail

All these words are verbs describe actions performed with the tail. Much like the words "punch" and "kick", they imply the use of a specific body part. <rC> is an action similar to a horse flicking away a fly. When performed on oneself, it can mean "don't bother me", or "Don't concern yourself with that" depending on context. The word <rC-HG-g>, literally "an act of flicking with the tail", can also mean something like "handwave" in the sense of brushing off someone's concern. Flicking someone else is a very offensive gesture that implies the flickee is a nuisance but is easily "dealt with".

<jHr> describes the act of repeatedly thumping the tail on the ground. It's a gesture that can indicate a threat if directed at someone, but it can also be similar to a human drumming the fingers on a table or tapping the foot in frustration or impatience.

<kHr> is just what it sounds like, slapping or striking something/someone with the tail. Yinrih tails are pretty long and made of pure muscle, like an elephant's trunk. They're strong enough to support the weight of the rest of the body. A well-aimed tail slap can easily break a nose. The word is also used when wielding a melee weapon in the tail.

Dawn of the Seventeenth Day. 325 Hours Remain
spm-rGk

[yip, short falling strong grunt, chuff, late rising strengthening growl]

Etymology
spm (odor, emotion) + rGk (plain, unremarkable, bland)

Noun
1. a plain odor
2. a stoic person
3. an emotionless person
4. someone good at concealing their feelings

Dawn of the Eighteenth Day. 305 Hours Remain

mp

[short rising strong grunt]

Particle
Indicates yes/no questions

mp qLPq sFq.
mp        0       qLPq sFq?
QUESTION  [you]   hear tidings
Did you hear the news?

rnL qLPqK. sFqBD?
rnL qLPq-K.    sFq-BD?
not hear-DOG.  tidings-INTERROGATIVE?
No I haven't heard. What news?

rHqPp fCqsfsf C cdqmg!
h  rHqP-g             fCq-sfsf C      h  cdq-m-g!
PL missionary-3.DIST  find-MIR other  PL ask-CUSTOMARY-3.INDEF
some missionaries have found other sophonts!

Dawn of the Nineteenth Day. 281 Hours Remain

Bdq-qgKq-sCF

from Bdq (valley, dale) + qgKq (yinrih) + sFC (new)

Proper Noun

Newman's Dale, the tropical river basin that the yinrih originate from. It is considered the holiest place in the Bright Way, and its former seat of power before the ouster of the clergy from power and exile to Hearthside. "Newman" hear refers to newly sapient yinrih.

Externally, a calque of German "Neandertal", with "Neander" being the name of a Calvinist hymn writer, itself an ancient Greek calque of the German surname "Neumann" or "newman".

Dawn of the Twentieth Day. 248 Hours Remain

sHJqg

[yip, long rising weakening growl, huff, short low weak growl]

Noun

1. A melee weapon in the form of a spiked ring or tube held in or slipped over the tail
2. A thagomizer

Dawn of the Twenty First Day. 225 Hours Remain

Ln
[late rising weak grunt]

Particle
Indicates the hortative mood. Takes the nonauthoritative verb suffix. Used to encourage or suggest. May be translated as "Let's..."
Can also form imperatives with the added meaning that the listener will gain some intrinsic benefit from performing the action.

rgj
[chuff, short rising weak growl]

Verb
Grow, become

Ln sFsFqn rpMrb hgq h MNqMr rgj rmn.
Ln   sFsF-qn  rpMr-b      hgq     h  MNq-Mr     rgj-0  rmn
HORT friend-2 happy-NAUTH because PL day-3.PROX become long
Take heart, friend, for the days grow longer
This is the seasonal greeting during the feast of the winter solstice. The phrase has strong religious associations within yinrih society. It's best not to say "happy holidays" to a wayfarer (follower of the Bright Way) unless you want a lecture about cultural relativism. They'll accept "merry Christmas" or "happy [insert specific holiday here]", though. They may not know what those holidays even are, but they know they mean something to you, and they'd rather the expression mean something to someone. Having said that, Take heart, friend, for the days grow longer is pretty neutral to a human ear, so you could say it to anyone, which ironically makes it sound more like happy holidays when said between humans.

Externally, the expression is inspired by my own seasonal affective disorder :(. The good news is that the days are in fact getting longer from here on out. Yay!

Dawn of the Twenty Second Day. 201 Hours Remain

rmr=today
sjr=tomorrow
spr=yesterday

BD = What is? interrogative copula*

BD      rmr-g         sjr-p           b  spr-p
what_is today-3.INDEF tomorrow-3.DIST of yesterday-3.DIST
What is today but yesterday's tomorrow

A little lazy today. The gloss is an obvious Spongebob reference. I just needed to come up with some time adverbs so I could start incorporating tense into Commonthroat. Turning the adverbs into nouns by adding noun suffixes may or may not be a thing.

<BD> may not even end up as an official thing in Commonthroat. I've been trying to avoid the use of copulas, but the idea of using a copula for interrogatives is interesting. This construction differs from the interrogative noun suffix in that you're asking for a sense rather than a referent. so <pLg> = a cloud. <pLBD> = What cloud? <BD pLg> = What is a cloud?

Yeah I don't know about this one, but I made my time words, that's what matters.

Dawn of the Twenty Third day. 182 Hours Remain

DC-sJkrg

from DC (under) + sJkr (to lie down on the belly) literally "that which lies beneath"

The Underlay. A subspace that allows FTL communication and eventually FTL travel via Mass Router

HMLHGp

from H (no, none) + ML (thing) + -HG (an instance of, an event of)

The Void, (Hell)

You know when you wake up at 3 AM, but can't go back to sleep because you start replaying some bad memory in your head? Imagine that, but you can't see, feel, touch, taste, or smell anything. You have no proprioception. You're just a unsensing mind floating in a solipsistic bubble, being gnawed by your own sins and regrets for all eternity. That is the yinrih's idea of hell. As for how you end up there... I don't know yet.

It's also called HMLHGp rnLqCq (The Blind Void), especially in oaths and profanity.

There's a belief among the particularly superstitious that the Underlay is The Void, and that the yinrih are routing all their communication through the realm of the damned. This belief is officially rejected by the Bright Way, but it persists nonetheless. Dropped or garbled messages are said to be due to damned shades desperately seeking sensation of any kind. The invention of the mass router births countless urban legends of incursions by lost souls into realspace through the mass router network. Humans absolutely eat this up, given that the "hyperspace is actually hell" concept is pretty widespread in human pop culture (Doom, WH40K, Event Horizon, etc).

Dawn of the Twenty Fourth Day. 157 Hours Remain

rnL-qCq-Cb

from rnL (not) + qCq to see + -Cb (cause something/someone to become) literally "to cause not to see"

Verb
To blind (transitive)

Used in the profane expression <L rLPqp rnLqCqCbb> "Light blind [you/it]!" loosely "[God] damn it!"

A derived expression is:

L   rLPq-p       RnL-qCq-Cb-b         rjqdB-Mr      rpMr
may light-3.DIST not-see-CAUSITIVE 0, memory-3.PROX happy
Happy memories, damn it! 
This could be translated loosely (and very ironically) as "fun for the whole family", which is an even loftier promise given that yinrih families consist of up to twelve genetic parents (six male sires and six female dams) and a litter of pups, of equal or greater number than the parents, so around 24 individuals give or take. More broadly the expression means something like "mandatory fun".

Dawn of the Twenty Fifth Day. 127 Hours Remain

snp

[yip, short high strengthening grunt]

Adjective
Holy

derived terms:
snp-g: a saint
sm-snp: unholy, profane

sLg
[yip, long low weak grunt, short low weak growl]

noun
1. heat
2. body heat
3. soul, life force
4. The infrared blackbody radiation produced by a living body

Some more religious vocabulary today, sort of adjacent to the season. I wanted the yinrih to link the soul to something other than the traditional human notion of breath. ("spirit" and "animate" both originally had to do with breathing). Since the yinrih's visual spectrum drops down to the level of infrared radiation, I figure they'd link the soul to the soft glow of body heat. Yinrih actually run a bit hotter than humans, just as dogs do. They also require about 100 extra Calories per day compared to a human, also just like dogs.

Dawn of the Twenty Sixth Day. 101 Hours Remain
-cdr

[short rising weakening whine, chuff]

Suffix
Forms a noun indicating a tool or instrument, usually small enough to be held in the paw or tail.

Plq (to dig), Plq-cdr-g (a shovel)
CDq (to hold), CDq-cdr-g (a holder)
qKq (to split), qKq-cdr-g (an axe)
rgJ (to stab), rgJ-cdr-g (a knoif)
rnq-g (paw), rnq-cdr-g (handle, pedal, [pawdle?])

Bonus Word

rG-rnq-g

from rGg (rope) + rnq (paw)

Noun

Cabling spaced at regular intervals stretched across wide thoroughfares in orbital colonies to allow residents to pull themselves along or to stop people getting stranded in the middle of the hallway out of reach of the sides. (If you've seen Gravity you know this isn't a trivial thing.) To a human this makes the large pedestrian malls common on yinrih orbital colonies look like a monkey habitat at the zoo, rather apropos for monkey foxes.

PS Happy Boxing Day/St Stephen's Day.

Dawn of the Twenty Seventh Day. 77 Hours Remain

sfcPLg

[yip, short falling strong whine, long falling weakening grunt, short low weak growl]

Etymology
from sfc (pup, child) + -PL (suffix forming collective nouns)

1. a litter of yinrih children regardless of age
2. (The Bright Way) a congregation lead by a particular hearthkeeper, used in a similar manner as English "flock".

pM  sbrP-rmK-g               snp-g        qbf  qF     rNlr-0    sfc-PL-P                H-rLPq-K
OBL custodian-hearth-3.INDEF holy.3.INDEF if   merely good.AUTH child-COLLECTIVE-3.DIST none-light.DOG
A hearthkeeper must be a saint. If she is merely decent, her litter shall be godless.
A hearthkeeper (cleric) is forbidden from entering into a childermoot (group of yinrih parents). Her congregation is considered her litter. The traditional explanation is that a cleric must devote all her time to tending the star hearth and performing other sacerdotal duties. Cynics will tell you its because the hierarchy doesn't want to pay a larger salary to account for her having pups to feed.

Dawn of The Twenty Eighth Day. 53 Hours Remain

rgr-rbCq-Cb-g

[chuff, short low weak growl, chuff, chuff early low strengthening whine, huff, late low falling whine, short low weak growl]

Etymology
From rgr (bark of a tree, strip) + rbCq (cold) + -Cb (cause to become) Literally "cooling bark" or "cooling strip"

A small, edible dissolving strip that stimulates cold receptors in the body when consumed. Fills a similar role as chewing gum to the natives of the deserts of the planet Hearthside, although the goal is temporary relief from the heat rather than fresh breath.

This one's a bit of a cheat, as none of the morphemes are new, but the lexeme is :)

Dawn of the Twenty Ninth Day. 31 Hours Remain

rBF

[chuff, long rising strengthening whine]

Verb
1. To cry, to weep
2. (by extension) To mourn

Yinrih don't cry in the same way humans do. Instead of tears, they have a red fluid that is secreted from the mouth. It looks a lot scarier than it actually is. Much like other bodily excretions the yinrih produce, it's highly aromatic. Humans compare it to the smell of sea spray. The strong red color and smell are thought to be social signals indicating very strong emotion. Yinrih cry in the same situations that humans do, when sad, scared, or very happy.

Dawn of The Thirtieth Day. 36 Hours Remain

qCD-g

[huff, long rising weakening whine, short low weak growl]

Noun
male litter mate
brother (when said of humans)

qDB-g

[huff, long falling weak whine, short low weak growl]

Noun
female litter mate
sister (when said of humans)

strictly speaking, this should be closer to "male fraternal twin" and "female fraternal twin" as the relationship implies hatching from the same womb-nest, but twins are a comparatively rare phenomenon among humans whereas yinrih litters scale based on the number of sires and dams who contribute eggs to the womb-nest. The relationship among litter mates is pretty close to that of human siblings, so I think it fits. Time will tell if I'll extend these terms to religious metaphors as well. I kind of wanted to use a different vocabulary besides kinship terms, but I've already committed to using "litter" as one would use "flock" in English, so I suppose that idea is out the window.

I've been using Wolfram Alpha to get the number of hours from now til the end of the month in order to do my titles. I just found out that it's actually interpreting "end of the month" as the beginning of new year's eve, not the beginning of new year's day. I should have been adding 24 hours to the times. Oh well.

Dawn of The Thirty First Day. 18 Hours Remain

rjHr-HG-g

[chuff, early falling strengthening growl, chuff, long low strengthening growl, short low weak growl]

Etymology
rjHr (to howl, to sing, to pray publicly) + -HG (an act or event of)

Noun
1. a song
2. one of the three daily liturgies of The Bright Way

Wayfarers are required to assist at at least one daily liturgy during their 11-day active period. Which day and which liturgy within that day is up to the individual or family, and different communities have different ways to fulfill the obligation.

Like the western breviary/liturgy of the hours, the three liturgies are named for the time of day that they are said.

Yay I did it! 31 days and 31 lexemes (although not necessarily new morphemes)
⠎⠀⠜⠎⠾⠌⠺⠀⠍⠭⠌⠉⠀⠬⠽⠬⠽⠌⠚
lurker
greek
greek

Some profanity

Post by lurker »

My Lexember roundup already had a few profane expressions. Here's another one:

slmqNLg

/yip, short low strengthening grunt, huff, long falling weak grunt, short low weak growl/

from slmg (butter, cream, paste) + qNLg (cloaca)

"cloaca butter", Nonsense, bullshit

Commonthroat may or may not employ tmesis or expletive infixation, haven'd decided yet.
⠎⠀⠜⠎⠾⠌⠺⠀⠍⠭⠌⠉⠀⠬⠽⠬⠽⠌⠚
lurker
greek
greek

More Pejoratives

Post by lurker »

rnqNPqg

/chuff, short high weak grunt, huff, long high strengthening grunt, huff, short low weak growl

from rnq (paw) + NPq (unclean, dirty, contaminated)

Noun

"dirty paws"

(pejorative) A non spacer, someone who lives on the surface of a planet or moon, a landlubber.

The adjective <NPq> should not be confused with the word <sfqg> meaning soil, also the name of the yinrih homeworld. <NPq> means "contaminated" or "unclean". The phrase "to have dirt on one's paws" uses <sfqg>, and is not meant to be offensive.

The neutral term for a surface dweller is <rKGrJqg>, which uses the noun <rKGrg> (surface) + the suffix -Jn (resident of a place or member of a group).

See here and here for some more info on spacers.
NLrrmKmg

/long falling weak grunt, chuff, chuff, short low strong grunt, long high strong growl, short low strong grunt, short low weak growl/

from NLr (to lick, draw the tongue across a surface) + nmKg (hearth) + -m (customary suffix)

(pejorative) "hearth licker", a follower of the Bright Way, a Wayfarer.

This is a deliberate mischaracterization of a particular custom described here. The actual gesture used is called <qcq>, which humans usually equate with a kiss. It involves touching the wet part of the nose to an object and quickly exhaling.

Followers of the Bright Way call themselves <sDsGKqmg>, meaning "one who follows a path" or "Wayfarer". In human writing, the word "Claravian" (from Latin clara via, bright way) is used.
⠎⠀⠜⠎⠾⠌⠺⠀⠍⠭⠌⠉⠀⠬⠽⠬⠽⠌⠚
lurker
greek
greek

Meditation

Post by lurker »

dBq

/early falling weak whine, huff/

verb (transitive or intransitive)

To learn

Derived terms:

<dBq-m-g> a student
<dBq-lN-g> a school
Dbr

/late falling weak whine, chuff/

verb (intransitive)

1. to undertake contemplative research
2. to meditate, especially on the nature of the universe
3. to learn on one's own

Derived terms:

<Dbr-m-g> a research monk
<Dbr-lN-g>a research monastery

This is a culturally loaded term that can be hard to translate. It describes an activity that's equal parts religious meditation and scientific research. One could call it "meditation upon the mysteries of Creation."

The word is used in more secular contexts to simply mean "research" or "self study". This is in contrast to the verb <dBq> above, which implies one is learning by instruction rather than seeking knowledge on one's own. <Dbr> also implies one is uncovering something new rather than trying to understand an already well-understood concept.

See here for more info on research monasteries.
⠎⠀⠜⠎⠾⠌⠺⠀⠍⠭⠌⠉⠀⠬⠽⠬⠽⠌⠚
lurker
greek
greek

Augmentative suffix etc

Post by lurker »

-DF

/long high strengthening whine/

Suffix

Augmentative suffix

Unlike many human languages, where augmentatives have a negative connotation, Commonthroat uses the augmentative suffix to express wonder, awe, and respect.

For example, <qMlr> means "final", and <qMlr-DF-p> means "Eschaton" or "Omega Point", or when translating human religious terms, "apocalypse" or "Armageddon".
Speaking of <qMlr>

qMlrfdg

/huff, late low weakening grunt, chuff, short high weakening whine, short low weak growl/

Noun

The runt of a litter. Literally "last little one"

In the days of natural brooding, runts were typically the last to emerge from the womb nest.
⠎⠀⠜⠎⠾⠌⠺⠀⠍⠭⠌⠉⠀⠬⠽⠬⠽⠌⠚
lurker
greek
greek

Post by lurker »

rBD

/chuff, long rising weak whine/

verb

1. to walk on the hind feet
2. to hobble or waddle, especially while carrying something in the forepaws.
3. to move with difficulty, struggle forward
3. (of humans) to walk

There's some controversy over whether human locomotion should be described with the common verb <rfbr>, which simply means to walk on a level surface, but implies the use of all four limbs, or the verb <rBD> described above. <rBD> has negative connotations of awkwardness and arduousness to it, and also usually implies one is carrying something. Most yinrih would hardly describe human walking or running this way. They're astonished the ease and speed at which humans are able to move given our bipedal stance, seemingly precarious height, lack of gripping feet, and especially the absence of a tail to use for balance. Yinrih can only walk bipedally by digging their hind claws into soft earth like cleats and using their tail like a cane to prevent them from falling backwards.

The word <rBD> is used in an epistulary greeting when addressing humans.

Ln lC rBD G rnL smprb
Ln     lC     rBD    G     rnL smpr-b
HORT   tall   walk   IMP   not fall-NAUTH
Which is usually translated as "Walk tall, don't fall".

This replaces the normal yinrih-to-yinrih greeting of

L   scrrmK-p          qGq-b         g    Frk-qN
OPT hearth_star-3D    warm-NAUTH    POS  back-3M
May the hearth star [Focus] warm your back.
The above makes little sense for humans as our backs don't face skyward.
⠎⠀⠜⠎⠾⠌⠺⠀⠍⠭⠌⠉⠀⠬⠽⠬⠽⠌⠚
lurker
greek
greek

Possessive phrases

Post by lurker »

This is a revision to the earlier system of alienable and inalienable possession. I didn't feel like that system opened up anything interesting, so here is a new system that finally scrubs the language of pronouns altogether.

<b> /short low weak whine/ means "of" and is used the same way in Commonthroat as in English.

rGhq-p    b    qgKq-p
home-3D   of   yinrih-3D
That man's house
that house of that man
<g> /short low weak growl/ is a particle that changes a noun into a possessive phrase. The deictic suffix on the noun now identifies the possessor of the noun's referent, not the referent itself.

rGhq-p    b    qgKq-p
home-3D   of   yinrih-3D
That man's house
that house of that man

g     rGhq-Mr
POS   home-3P
my house

g     rGhq-qN
POS   home-3M
your house

g     rGhq-p
POS   home-3D
his house

g     rGhq-BD
POS   home-INT
whose house?
⠎⠀⠜⠎⠾⠌⠺⠀⠍⠭⠌⠉⠀⠬⠽⠬⠽⠌⠚
thethief3
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by thethief3 »

lurker wrote: 24 Apr 2024 13:48 The above makes little sense for humans as our backs don't face skyward.
For a second there i was wondering why you would say that then i remembered you aren't a yinrih.
lurker
greek
greek

Post by lurker »

thethief3 wrote: 27 Apr 2024 23:07
lurker wrote: 24 Apr 2024 13:48 The above makes little sense for humans as our backs don't face skyward.
For a second there i was wondering why you would say that then i remembered you aren't a yinrih.
On the internet nobody knows you're a monkey fox :)
⠎⠀⠜⠎⠾⠌⠺⠀⠍⠭⠌⠉⠀⠬⠽⠬⠽⠌⠚