Words/forms avoided because they "look/sound" strange

A forum for discussing linguistics or just languages in general.
Ryanvadar
rupestrian
rupestrian

Words/forms avoided because they "look/sound" strange

Post by Ryanvadar »

An example in English is the avoidance of adding a "-ly" adverb ending to an adjective already ending in "-ly." "He smiled friendlily" is usually rewritten as "He smiled in a friendly way." This is due to the awkward double -ly ending. Dictionaries list some of these forms, but they are not commonly used.

What other examples, in any language, can you think of where certain forms of some words are avoided due to sounding or looking awkward or strange?
Dormouse559

Re: Words/forms avoided because they "look/sound" strange

Post by Dormouse559 »

Chiot “puppy” has no feminine form in French. I can’t claim causation, but that absence is probably no coincidence because the obvious feminine form, chiotte, happens to be identical to a (separately derived) vulgar word for “outhouse.”
Khemehekis
mongolian
mongolian

Post by Khemehekis »

Ryanvadar wrote: 20 Nov 2023 22:43 An example in English is the avoidance of adding a "-ly" adverb ending to an adjective already ending in "-ly." "He smiled friendlily" is usually rewritten as "He smiled in a friendly way." This is due to the awkward double -ly ending. Dictionaries list some of these forms, but they are not commonly used.
Er, don't English adjectives that end in -ly usually keep the single -ly ending as adverbs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8Xb_7YDroQ

"SoCal is where my mind states/But it's not my state of mind/I'm not as ugly sad as you."
♂♥♂♀

Squirrels chase koi . . . chase squirrels

My Kankonian-English dictionary: 90,000 words and counting

31,416: The number of the conlanging beast!
eldin raigmore
korean
korean

Post by eldin raigmore »

Khemehekis wrote: 21 Nov 2023 01:18 Er, don't English adjectives that end in -ly usually keep the single -ly ending as adverbs?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8Xb_7YDroQ
"SoCal is where my mind states/But it's not my state of mind/I'm not as ugly sad as you."
Definitely not usually.
The use of “ugly sad” in the example you quoted is slang, or maybe a “substandard” dialect; at any rate, deprecated.
Edit: Or poetic license!

OTOH, clearly sometimes!
Unless, maybe, it might be better analyzed as a compound adjective; so “ugly” would be another adjective, like “sad”, rather than an adverb.
Last edited by eldin raigmore on 22 Nov 2023 14:54, edited 1 time in total.
Knox Adjacent
cuneiform
cuneiform

Post by Knox Adjacent »

I'm reminded of Old Japanese "adjective" verb classs ending in -si vs -siku.
lsd
greek
greek

Post by lsd »

in French, as in this pretty anthology, it's sometimes better to avoid the feminine gender...